Empire Of The Sun (OST)

Damo

This is something I don't think it has a discuss before and it a John Williams score. This is probably one of Williams peaceful written score. So um...what do you think?

This is something I don't think it has a discuss before and it a John Williams score. This is probably one of Williams peaceful written score. So um...what do you think?

It has been discussed several times actually (last time a couple months ago). This one was Williams' most profound work, only equalled by "Schindler's List" and "Saving Private Ryan". It gathers a wide range of emotions in just 50 minutes of score: disturbing war passages, a youthful scherzo, a traditional song, a cheeful choral divertimento, and in the end, the most imaginable peaceful and hopeful pieces. Very varied score, yet it holds as one of Williams' most solid and energic works to date.

I'm in love with this score and the film. I had a dream several months ago in which I was sitting at a bar interviewing Steven Spielberg, and I mentioned to him that I thought Empire of the Sun was his finest work. But Williams' emotionally gripping score is nothing short of stunning.

Yes, the concert version of "Cadillac of the Skies" is absolutely amazing. I can't understand why it wasn't on the album. Speaking of, I haven't listened to the whole album in a while. I need to do that soon.

Yes, the concert version of "Cadillac of the Skies" is absolutely amazing. I can't understand why it wasn't on the album.

Maybe it wasn't worked out until Williams decided to record it with the Pops a few years later.

Yes, the concert version of "Cadillac of the Skies" is absolutely amazing. I can't understand why it wasn't on the album.

Maybe it wasn't worked out until Williams decided to record it with the Pops a few years later.

My guess is that he probably didn't have a written concert version at that time doing actual score until later which probably explains why it wasn't on the OST album.

Track 10 - The Streets Of Shanghai around the 3 minute mark.....that cue almost sounded a bit like the battle of the hoth from Star Wars - TESB.

Track 11 - The Pheasant Hunt has an interesting percussions solo with the strings and the Shakuhachi.

Empire of the Sun is in my opinion amoung Williams' most moving and masterful efforts. It is a varied score that has an amazing range of emotion and Williams has really captured the human spirit in this work. It can be soaring and jubilant as in Cadillac of the Skies, Exsultate Justi or Imaginary Air Battle, happy and full of life like Jim's New Life, mournfully lonely and utterly sad as in Return to the City or No Road Home or exude horror and chaos and panic like Lost in the Crowd or The Streets of Shanghai.

The choir brings so much into this score. It reflects the main character (as he performs in a boys choir) and the spirituality of the story and the fragile human soul with a clear voice. I could praise each and every track on the album as they all have something unique to appreciate. It is a poignant score for a poignant movie.

Cadillac of the Skies concert piece is an absolutely beautiful and brilliant work. It is one of my favourite themes of all time. Another reason to be grateful to Williams ;) He sees this music as an opporturnity to create these more fleshed out concert pieces which are a new interpretation of the thematic material and explore these musical ideas more thoroughly than he could in the span of a normal scene. And the results are staggeringly powerful and beautiful.

I can understand how some people can think the album sags. This score relies much of the time on atmosphere instead of thematics although there are themes present. Many tracks are self contained pieces and fit the scenes perfectly. I feel that the fact that the theme is not used so often adds a more powerful emotional impact when it is.

Oh and Marc my absence can be blamed on too long Christmas holidays. When I am away for a month and have no access to a computerduring that time it takes a while to catch up even here on the MB ;) Plus studies have taken a lot of my time recently. But now I am back and hopefully have more time to contribute here.

Track 10 - The Streets Of Shanghai around the 3 minute mark.....that cue almost sounded a bit like the battle of the hoth from Star Wars - TESB.

I thought it sounded like the "car rolling down the tree" section of "Incident at Isla Nublar" from Jurassic Park.

Actually it would be the other way around. The car rolling down the tree sounds like....... :unsure:

EOTS is a wonderful score by Williams. In fact it has been awhile since I've istened to it so I think I'll give it a listen tonite.

Actually it would be the other way around. The car rolling down the tree sounds like....... :unsure:

True. Too bad I heard the JP soundtrack first, so naturally I would subconsciously switch it around in my brain despite the chronology. :P

• 2 weeks later...

One of the most compelling soundtracks of all time besides Star Wars. John Williams the best Maestro out there right now. My favorite track on here is Exsultate Justi. This is why I asked about the lyrics because it is well done. Did anybody watch the PBS special with the Boston Pops Orchestra. I can't remember the real name.

• 6 years later...

maybe this is the suitable place to ask this:

Does anyone know if track 10 of the ost, appears in the film? it doesn't seem to be in the Streets of Shanghai scene ..maybe it's an original version of it?

Yes it is most likely Williams' original take on the scene, which was then mostly unused in the film.

Wow you resurrected a 6 year old thread for this? :)

Empire of the Sun is a superlative score to a so-so Spielberg film. It's one of the prime examples I cite as one of the greatest elements in Williams' repertoire: that he so often brings fully realized and roundly themed underscoring to a single scene, something that appears once and will never surface again, that's as striking and well-defined as the main themes for most movies. EOTS is packed with that kind of thing.

It's ironic: I've never put it on a Top 10 list before . . . yet it's a score I feel I would hate to imagine never having been composed. It holds an absolutely vital place in the Maestro's collection—and mine.

- Uni

Empire of the Sun is a superlative score to a so-so Spielberg film. It's one of the prime examples I cite as one of the greatest elements in Williams' repertoire: that he so often brings fully realized and roundly themed underscoring to a single scene, something that appears once and will never surface again, that's as striking and well-defined as the main themes for most movies. EOTS is packed with that kind of thing.

It's ironic: I've never put it on a Top 10 list before . . . yet it's a score I feel I would hate to imagine never having been composed. It holds an absolutely vital place in the Maestro's collection—and mine.

- Uni

It is a surpringly set piece focused score with only a few thematic call backs from scene to scene (and these are often source music) and Williams gives these individual scenes quite unique ambiences in themselves. A major connecting element in the score is the choir, which seems to depict Jim's inner life and connects to his choral background as well. E.g. Exsultate Justi in the liberation scene seems to emanate from Jim's memories of having sung something of the kind and the elation of the moment brings it back to him with keen sharpness.

A brilliant score.

Yes it is most likely Williams' original take on the scene, which was then mostly unused in the film.

Wow you resurrected a 6 year old thread for this? :)

yes. i'm studying the score now and so i didn't know where to ask about it.

Anyway, i found it..

I mean, i thought it was for another scene, but it is from the scene where he sees the "Gone with he Wind" poster, and then he runs and says "I surrender".

the film just uses extracts of this cue as you said..

Too bad the rear channels of the DVD are filled with sound effects and dialogue. I tried to make a personal edit once but the it's not listenable. In some places Empire of the Sun reminds me of Williams' score to War of the Worlds. For example Lost in the Crowd or the unreleased music for Jim's return to his then deserted home. One of my favourite scores of maestro Williams.

I just finished the film..

yes, the music is wonderfull..

Looking at these old films with such music, you really feel "you're watching a movie"! You feel you have a cinematic experience!

Something that I cannot say for today's films with heavy drone and pedal music, and hand-held cameras..

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished the film..

yes, the music is wonderfull..

Looking at these old films with such music, you really feel "you're watching a movie"! You feel you have a cinematic experience!

Something that I cannot say for today's films with heavy drone and pedal music, and hand-held cameras..

agreed

One of my favorites (and maybe JW's most underrated).

This applies even more to Spielberg himself. The film is by far his most under appreciated.