The new Star Wars DVDs . . . Just how 'limited'?

Goldsmithfan

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also remember them saying the products would be pulled on January 1st.

But there's still stacks of them at every store here. They probably just stopped filling orders and making new ones.

I cannot, I repeat... CANNOT watch Star Wars without Jabba's re-insertion - and the 2004 version is vastly improved over the 1997 one)

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

why do I laugh, because of the previous comment by ccc

How rude, JIAR.

That scene was filmed in 1976-77, which dated it to your beloved masterpiece. They didn't have time, money, or resources to make Jabba the monsterous-looking alien that Lucas originally wanted, so he had to cut it. Putting it back is essential to the integrity of the original storyline, IMO. I have long said that just barely mentioning Jabba in SW and ESB means that he sneaks up out of nowhere (to the casual watchers, at least) in ROTJ, and most wonder, "WTF is that and why does he have Han?!" Granted, the CGI could be better (TPM's Jabba for example), I don't care for Han stepping on his tail, and I could have lived without Boba staring at the screen (Fett walking by is good enough, the staring is just too fan-boyish). But the scene itself is essential, and the 1977-95 edits seem naked without it, IMO.

I also BADLY want to see the cut Luke/Biggs/friends on Tatooine scenes. I've read about and seen pictures of those scenes (The 1977 "Story of Star wars" picture book for one, the 1977 novelization for another, and the 1977 Marvel comic book adaptation for yet another) for 30 years. I remember being very disappointed that the 1997 version did not re-insert them.

Jabba-like laugh all you want, but worshipping the 1977 edit of a movie and whining, bitching, and complaining that the 1981-2004 edits are crapping on your beloved masterpiece is more laughable in my mind. It is the same movie!

Why would anyone in their right mind shoot such an effects-heavy scene the way the Jabba scene was shot in 1976?

I don't buy it. It was just supposed to be a dude in a costume at the time, and the scene was rightly cut for time and story reasons.

Why would anyone in their right mind shoot such an effects-heavy scene the way the Jabba scene was shot in 1976?

I don't buy it. It was just supposed to be a dude in a costume at the time, and the scene was rightly cut for time and story reasons.

Yes, it was supposed to be a guy in a costume, hence the line "human being" line - if that was meant to be a joke because Jabba was a giant slug, it's a pretty lame one.

I also BADLY want to see the cut Luke/Biggs/friends on Tatooine scenes.

Aren't those on some Star Wars cd-rom? Some insider-making of CD-rom of the original trilogy?

I have it at home I believe.

Yes, it was supposed to be a guy in a costume, hence the line "human being" line - if that was meant to be a joke because Jabba was a giant slug, it's a pretty lame one.

Exactly.

Aren't those on some Star Wars cd-rom? Some insider-making of CD-rom of the original trilogy?

Yes, it was on some "Behind the Magic" CD-ROM that was released somewhere halfway through the nineties, along with the extended cantina scene. You can find them (albeit in a rather rubbish quality) online.

I was rather surprised there were no deleted scenes on the 2004 set. Especially after TPM was the first DVD that even had cut VFX shots completed specifically for the DVD release!

There's a chance they'll end up on the 30th Anniversary set, though. LucasFilm is probably sititng on them so they can make us pay for these movies again at some later point in time.

From what I heard, all that stuff was destroyed and now, all that exists are the re-combinant versions of the OT. Hence, why they took the O-OT from the Laserdisc... because the originals didn't exist anymore...

And with How Lucas is with things he doesn't like, it's surprising we got it at all (Christmas special anyone?).

I, too, have longed to see those deleted scenes. I would really love to see them set up like how the PT is, with the deleted scenes all lines up on the dvd so you can watch them and such...

I'd love to see the deleted scene from ROTJ... we KNOW it exists (perhaps not finished), but that enough of it was created for JW to write music for it. If there's ANYTHING I've learned in my time as a JW fan, it's that he doesn't do music for scenes that arn't in the cut he's given.

Oh well... it's sad that such scenes which are a culmination of so many talents, so many peoples hours of hard work... not to mention are, in essence, pieces of art/film history...are treated in such a horrible manner... as if they only matter to GL...

if anything it shows how little he truly cares about the films themselves... so little that rather than listen to himself while doing the Prequel Trilogy... you know, listen to the mastermind/creator... he listened to Rick McCallum...

From what I heard, all that stuff was destroyed and now, all that exists are the re-combinant versions of the OT. Hence, why they took the O-OT from the Laserdisc... because the originals didn't exist anymore...

There is a far more likely reason they used the laserdisc version: money. The originals would take money and effort to restore, Lucas doesn't want to use either.

And with How Lucas is with things he doesn't like, it's surprising we got it at all (Christmas special anyone?).

Still exists.

Oh well... it's sad that such scenes which are a culmination of so many talents, so many peoples hours of hard work... not to mention are, in essence, pieces of art/film history...are treated in such a horrible manner... as if they only matter to GL...

If what Lucas said was true, then I agree. But I don't buy that "negatives were permanently altered" rubbish.

I also BADLY want to see the cut Luke/Biggs/friends on Tatooine scenes. I've read about and seen pictures of those scenes (The 1977 "Story of Star wars" picture book for one, the 1977 novelization for another, and the 1977 Marvel comic book adaptation for yet another) for 30 years. I remember being very disappointed that the 1997 version did not re-insert them.

i think some of them are available here

http://www.starwarscutscenes.com/episode4/episode4.html

I'm with Rob.

And I don't think that "originals don't exist" anymore applies to the deleted scenes either.

And where do you think that original opening crawl came from? That hasn't been used since 1981.

Chris, those scenes have been released officially in the PC enclyclopedia callde Behind the Magic.

Im sure there was some site that had them on streaming or similar.

I'm with Rob.

And I don't think that "originals don't exist" anymore applies to the deleted scenes either.

And where do you think that original opening crawl came from? That hasn't been used since 1981.

Did the laserdisc have "A New Hope", or just "Star Wars"?

What I want to know is where the high-quality footage from the original version came from, that can be seen on the trilogy documentary.

The 1993 Laserdisc release has A New Hope.

The new DVD (supposedly from the same source as the laserdisc) doesn't. Interesting... they must have actually taken that part from another source.

As mentioned elsewhere the Jabba scene really didn't need to be in there because it was basically covered with Greedo in the Cantina. Plus it ruins the first glimpse of the Falcon.

They're on YouTube, or at least they were a while back. If not, you can see them here.

I still love to see them on DVD, though. I'd also really like to see the sandstorm scene from ROTJ; that thing's never been available anywhere in its entirety.

Well, I like the Jabba scene and I think it works other than what I mentioned above. It was a deleted scene and I always wanted to see it.

As for the Biggs scenes, I want to see them in good quality. But I'll try those links. I've never been good with downloading large files because broadband internet is not available where I live (yet it is available a few houses down the road... Rrrr). It sucks, but I have to live with it.

Well gents, I bit the bullet and bought all 3 Limited Edition sets at Wally World tonight (2/5/2007). Good lord... the transfers they used for theatrical Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return Of The Jedi are horrible, very grainy. Hell I thought the VHS copies I have looked better than this. Grant Empire and Jedi don't look nearly as bad as Star Wars but they still look pretty crappy. I can also see now why a letterbox format sucks it's pretty evident on my Samsung 40'' HDTV.

While I am one of those who likes the Special Editions (dodges everything thrown at him), I will state for the record I can see why so many people want the theatricals to be given a proper digital restoration. After viewing these discs on the Limited Edition set I have joined the ranks of people who do want the theatricals to be digitally restored and released on DVD. At least if that were to happen they'd be totally preserved in crystal clear quality.

I would like to extend apologizes to those who I thought were crazy enough to want such a thing and have argued about it for the last couple of years.

That's all you have to say Steef? I'm hurt. Well not really but still lol.

By the way that post is completely serious.

Yes, I've always been one to say that the restored, anamorphic widescreen theatrical editions should be released in 2 disc sets with Lucas' latest "Special Editions" that also contain all deleted scenes. To me, that's the best scenario! A win-win for all sides of the argument.

I've also been one to say why do people hate Lucas for making them? Make as many revisions as you want, and also make the theatrical editions available too.

Also, Trent... I AM hurt that you ignore me, buddy. :( Did I hurt your feelings once or something? Can't reply one email or IM? :)

I've also been one to say why do people hate Lucas for making them? Make as many revisions as you want, and also make the theatrical editions available too.

You've answered your own questions there.

There wouldn't be half as much complaining if he'd just give the original versions a proper release.

People don't "hate" him for making the revised versions, they hate him for making them and then trying to supress the originals.

You don't see anyone complaining about the revised E.T., because both versions are available in equally good format.

I think it's more focused on Neary's journey to the spaceship than on all the family drama surrounding it. I rather like that.

It's also the version of the film that made me fall in love with it. I have an old VHS of it, but it's a centerscan with horrible sound, and the image is scratched and dirty all the way through.

Either way, it would be good to have for interest value.

It should be standard, that whenever a film is re-cut or revised for home video, the original cut should be included in equally good condition.

Agreed.

I was slightly disappointed when I found the extended edition of Gladiator (where the new bits are really just the deleted scenes from the old DVD put back in) didn't have the original cut as well. I think the theatrical cut of that movie is clearly superior. At least that version is still available, but I would like to have it all in one set.

There have been so many changes to CE3K, I don't think Spielberg remembers what goes where anymore. :)

I think the closest version I have to the original is the Criterion Laserdisc Box set that has the extended footage seperate but even that has a few seconds added to the original film. after Neary has his first encounter Spielberg added the shot of the UFO's shadow passing over Roy's truck as he pursues it.

You've answered your own questions there.

There wouldn't be half as much complaining if he'd just give the original versions a proper release.

What is a proper release?

Werent several proper releases on VHS? and one in laserdisc?

So, you ask Lucas or Lucasfilm when he dies, to spend money making versions of movies he doesnt like anymore in the next better available format for the rest of human history?

When he releases this properly on DVD, people will want a HD-DVD or Blue ray version, when the next higher quality format arises people will want it too.

BTW as i always have said, hope the OT gets a whole make up, and is released with a good version of the original version.

Manuel!

Pretty much EVERY popular succesfull film gets a release on DVD in good to great quality picture and sound.

Why is it so impossible to understand that a lot of people would like to see the very famour Star wars trilogy be released on DVd and later HD-DVD etc...in the best possible quality that those formats allow.

Someday the technology for films will be better than the 1977-1983 one.

So, how can you release a old movie in 'SUPER HD-DVD in anamorphic 3D odorama', when it cannot use half of the feaures, will not look beter than the previous format? And when people ask to remain as close to 1977 as possible?

:)

Let me elaborate:

:(:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

and for good measure:

explodingheadnv8.jpg

Nothing personal, of course. ;)

:):(:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

OK OK

Ask Uncle george to release countless of times the Old trilogy in every new format arises, even if he despises them.

Otherwise..how would be a world with a perfect release of SW?

Very boring, as a year without any Williams scores. Nothing to discuss! :)

(still, my question remains: when you have the DVDs, will all of you ask of a HD-DVD release?, Why waste time asking for the DVD release then? Why would you want more and more each time?)