The new Star Wars DVDs . . . Just how 'limited'?

Goldsmithfan

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Star Wars will never be available on home video."  

- George Lucas, 1978

He actually did say that? 8O

Or because they realized even Star Wars fans aren't dumb enough to fork out for the same product twice in little over two years.  

Actually, it's the third year in a row that the OT is released on DVD. Oh, and there will be even fourth year!

Also keep in my Lucas has said many times over the years that he would never put the time, money and effort to restore something he felt was incomplete and was never satisifed with. If the fans can't accept that, then that's their own damn problem.

I don't mind tinkering. But for every solved problem there seem to appear another 10 new ones. The 2004 edition of OT is heavily flawed. And these matters don't have anything to do with "Lucas artistic vision". Or maybe he wanted Luke's lightsaber to be blue in one scene and green in another?

Karol

Or because they realized even Star Wars fans aren't dumb enough to fork out for the same product twice in little over two years.  

Actually, it's the third year in a row that the OT is released on DVD. Oh, and there will be even fourth year!

Third year in a row, yes, but the release dates of the 2004 set and this one are actually less than 2 years apart!

I also prefer the 2004 editions over the original and 1997 editions. My only true complaint about them was the removal of Lapti Nek; replaced by the atrocious, horrifying, and childlike insult that was called "Jedi Rocks." Most every other change is either ignorable (Greedo shooting 1st happens so fast that only Star Wars geeks notice or care about it) or beneficial (I cannot, I repeat... CANNOT watch Star Wars without Jabba's re-insertion - and the 2004 version is vastly improved over the 1997 one). That's my opinion... and this is from someone who grew up on the theatrical versions of all 3 (since 1980 or so). In fact, all the whining about the unaltered versions makes me sick to tell you the truth. They are all the same movies and absolutely nothing important to the plot was altered in any way... they are still the same movies and bitching about them all the time makes me feel like bitching about the bitchers. 8O

-Chris, who pulls a Lucas and has altered his own 18-year comic serial many a time....

It's not really that confusing.  It's just so the originals are available.  Why spend all the money and effort on something that the fans clamored for?  Purists weren't clamoring for "cleaned up" original movies. They wanted the original theatrical versions and that's what they got.

Damn straight! I can deal with matte lines, it's sort of part of the nostalgia of it all. And yes, even the R2-D2 with the black panels on his head during his space shots.

At least they didn't do what the folks at Fox did to the most recent release of Patton-- the screen appears to have been cropped a bit, and there's a pinkish blur over everything.

These prints were taken from the 1993 Laserdiscs.

We wanted the originals cleaned up not presented in some half ass form.

I want the original version but I would like a restored /cleaned print. That would include an anamorphic widescreen, negative cleaned, soundtrack presented correctly or at least an option like most DVDs.

I don't need new sound effects, CGI that sticks out like a sore thumb from the rest of the film, deleted scenes that do nothing but interrupt the flow of the film, changing the sound mix to bury Williams' music, cropping of the print, snipping footage out of them, and changing the color tone.

I didn't see a crappy print back in 1977, 1980 or 1983.

Wholeheartedly agreed!!!

Even though I will stick with what I've got now. Much happier that the re-coloured 'new and improved' versions. Just hope that one day Lucas will release the originals on a better transfer

Oh yes how sad everything is so blue...

The friggin Taun taun sticks like a sore thumb in the old print.

And by the way, Peter Jackson's LOTR movies and King kong overuse color filters. But they are cool there right?

I know what you mean, Marc...

5.jpg

:sigh:

What he HELL was the point of that?!?

"Hey guys! I got an idea! Hoth is cold right? Blue is a 'cool color' right? Howsabout we make the first shot of the inside of the rebel base BLUE!!!"

I know what you mean, Marc...

5.jpg

:sigh:

What he HELL was the point of that?!?

"Hey guys! I got an idea! Hoth is cold right? Blue is a 'cool color' right? Howsabout we make the first shot of the inside of the rebel base BLUE!!!"

The whole Hoth sequence is like that.

:roll:  :sigh:

What exactly is the point of this reaction: :roll:

Do you think it's wrong for people to prefer the original versions, and complain about not getting the correct DVD presentation?

Do you think it's wrong for people to prefer the original versions, and complain about not getting the correct DVD presentation?

No but to CONSTANTLY complain about it, it gets old and tiring after a while...

Yes, it's old - 9 years old! But nothing has been done to correct the situation, so what do you expect?

And by the way, Peter Jackson's LOTR movies and King kong overuse color filters. But they are cool there right?

No, they're not. Return of the King is too colourful for my taste, especially the Pelennor sequence.

By the way, I'm constantly amazed that as soon as fans start to defend something about Star Wars, they always have to draw LOTR into the discussion somehow.

The complaining really is getting tiresome, but it's as justified as ever.

By the way, I'm constantly amazed that as soon as fans start to defend something about Star Wars, they always have to draw LOTR into the discussion somehow.  

I've always been annoyed by that... they're two different damn set of movies...you can't really compare them at all.

The complaining really is getting tiresome, but it's as justified as ever.

I agree, as I said too that I understand all points from both sides of the arguments but it is definitely getting tiresome...

If someone likes the Original Unaltered Trilogy over the Special Editions, then hey that's fine. If someone likes the Special Editions more than the Original Unaltered Trilogy then that is fine too. Same thing can be applied to the Prequel movies...

It shouldn't matter what we each like or don't like...but it shouldn't go to the point of arguing it about it for years, that's just being a bit plain stupid in my opinion. At this point I'm just saying fuck it and throwing in the towel and not even bother arguing any more.

I've always been annoyed by that... they're two different damn set of movies...you can't really compare them at all.

I mostly compare them technically, not story wise.

And yes i do that because those movies are regarded as craftmanship at its best, and they share things like the color filtering.

And watch LOTR making offs, specially i think, the one for FOTR and you see how different is the real print and the colored print. Much like this ESB pic.

Except LOTR was ORIGINALLY INTENDED to be shown with those colour tints as opposed to it being some half-arsed afterthought, that wasn't even done by the director (you can bet Lucas didn't ask Kershner pr the DoP to approve the transfer).

And anyway, colour-tinting in post-production happens all the time, when particular things would be difficult or impossible with natural- or studio-lights.

And the other difference: in LOTR it's done well. :wave:

What's the matter trent? You don't believe in an ironic hyperbole?

Stefan wasn't really asking you that question Vosk, as he already knows the answer.

George Lucas didn't rape my childhood,

but he did real harm to an AMERICAN FILM TREASURE, he's a film terrorist, nothing more.

I cannot, I repeat... CANNOT watch Star Wars without Jabba's re-insertion - and the 2004 version is vastly improved over the 1997 one)

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

why do I laugh, because of the previous comment by ccc

Somehow Jabba's laugh would be fitting.

Except LOTR was ORIGINALLY INTENDED to be shown with those colour tints as opposed to it being some half-arsed afterthought, that wasn't even done by the director (you can bet Lucas didn't ask Kershner pr the DoP to approve the transfer).  

And anyway, colour-tinting in post-production happens all the time, when particular things would be difficult or impossible with natural- or studio-lights.  

And the other difference: in LOTR it's done well

Agreed.

BUT: ROTK's colour palette doesn't match the atmosphere from the books. In FOTR the grading was good because it's still very much like a fairy tale. In TTT everything was duller, which was great because it gave the film a distinct mood and look. ROTK also has a very distinct look, but it's way too "fruity" for me. Minas Morgul for instance doesn't have the pale, dead light like it's described, and even Shelob's Lair is too intense.

I own the book about the movie, with the sketches and paintings by Alan Lee and John Howe; THAT'S what I had imagined colourwise!

does the original star wars still say A New Hope, if so then its the 81 version and not the 77 version.

Star Wars does NOT have the words "Episode IV: A New Hope" for this DVD set for the opening Main Title. I have a video clip of it that was ripped from the real OUT DVD set. Another thing I compared the Main Title clip that was ripped from the OUT DVD set to the one that was shown in "Empire Of Dreams" from the 4th DVD disc from the 2004 set and it's virtually the same. It seems they just used that one for the OUT DVD set.

does the original star wars still say A New Hope' date=' if so then its the 81 version and not the 77 version.[/quote']

LucasFilm announced that the version released would be simply called Star Wars months ago.

Can anyone tell me if there's a thread that discusses the original version on disc two?

I was actually wondering the same thing. I asked a question like this one page one, but, naturally, it was ignored.

Ted

sorry to revive a dead topic... but I'm wondering...

Do you think I should open them? I bought all three just because I needed a new ESB, and I wanted ROTJ... so I just grabbed ANH as well... they have commic books too (walmart exclusive). So I'm curious... should I open them or should I save them?

I could just buy them again and save this set... you think that wouldbe worth it?

sorry to revive a dead topic... but I'm wondering...

Do you think I should open them? I bought all three just because I needed a new ESB, and I wanted ROTJ... so I just grabbed ANH as well... they have commic books too (walmart exclusive). So I'm curious... should I open them or should I save them?  

I could just buy them again and save this set... you think that wouldbe worth it?

The choice is souly up to you. If you want to you can open the current set you have now so you can watch them and then in November or December rebuy them and keep those sealed.

I'll be buying them in December but I am opening them. I won't buy another set. I don't think the DVD's will really be worth a lot in a few years time if you kept them sealed...

• 4 months later...

sorry to bring up an old thread, but I thought they were pulling these from store shelves. I've bene told they are still in Walmarts around the country... I've seen them at mine and such..

Was it that they'd stop being produced in December... or, as I was under the impression of, that they would be pulled from shelves in December... which obviously isn't the case ... or that they've...extended it?

Stopped being produced or perhaps they wouldn't fill any more orders to stores after December. Either way, they are still around.