The new Star Wars DVDs . . . Just how 'limited'?

Goldsmithfan

Hey everybody,

I'm probably the only person on this board who doesn't already own Star Wars on DVD in any form. But anyway, I'm planning on getting the new 2 DVD sets that came out today because they've got the option of theatrical version or special edition. (Not going into that though) My one worry is the fact that I'm very, very short on cash right now and it's probably going to continue for some amount of time, so I was wondering if anyone knows just how 'limited' these limited editions will be . . . ?

It's probably a stupid question, but I just wanted to see if anyone knows.

Thanks!

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a limited number, but they'll stop producing them in December, and I think main stores will take them off their shelves then. Like what Disney used to do. There's plenty of time.

I will be picking these up most likely in November. I only have the OUT (Original Unaltered Trilogy) movies on VHS and I frankly hate VHS now. I'll be buying these to retire my VHS copies and my VCR. I for one really do not care if they're non-anamorphic or not.

Buying these would be a total waste of time. The only extra on them is the theatrical version of the movies. So unless you don't own any other versions, I'd skip this (or copy the theatrical version) and wait for next year's big 30th Annivesary Release that is inevitable to coincide with the soundtrack box set.

The OUT (Original Unaltered Trilogy) are in letterbox format. They're not in anamorphic 16:9 widescreen.

Buying these would be a total waste of time.  The only extra on them is the theatrical version of the movies.  So unless you don't own any other versions, I'd skip this (or copy the theatrical version) and wait for next year's big 30th Annivesary Release that is inevitable to coincide with the soundtrack box set.

Ahem, in your opinion. Read my post why I am getting these.

I broke down and ordered these yesterday. I just really want the theatricals on DVD even though these aren't ideal releases. The only language Luca$ understands is money and if these theatrical DVDs sell, maybe we'll see them again sometime down the road. Although I doubt it, at least while Luca$ is still alive.

Plus, I used a gift card that I earned from my Amazon VISA card. By the way, when you apply for an Amazon VISA you automatically get $30 off of your first purchase. So, anyone who is on the fence about these DVDs might want to consider that as an option. It's a great deal and a great card, I've earned so much free stuff with it.

Jeff

How is the picture and sound?

ANH is a bit poor on the sound but the picture was very good

I think that was the idea, they didn't enhance it at all,

they just transferred it to DVD as it was.

I did like it more that the touched up version, but that's just me

Even though I'm an SE guy I'd like to have the originals on DVD, for collector's sake if nothing else. But I'm not forking out for any of these discs. I'll wait and see what they do for the 30th Anniversary release too.

Even though I'm an SE guy I'd like to have the originals on DVD, for collector's sake if nothing else. But I'm not forking out for any of these discs. I'll wait and see what they do for the 30th Anniversary release too.

In my opinion, I doubt they'll be released with the 30th Anniversary box set next year. IF they are, then I will eat my own words. However if I were you John I would get them before they are pulled off the shelfs December 31st.

I'm 99% certain they won't be on the next set - these were "the originals on DVD for the first and last time", and the 30th anniversary set being only a few months away, I doubt even Lucas would tell that big a lie. I'm sure we'll see them again, probably on Blu-Ray or something. Anyone fancy a non-anamorphic, 1993 laserdisc transfer blown up to HD? :roll:

I'm probably not going to get the new releases. Not because I dislike the OUT, but because I'm honestly tired of buying all these different editions of Star Wars.

I'm a-gonna wait for the seconds to come up on e-Bay.......until then I can live with my SpecialEds and my laserdisc transfers of the original versions (although that does still say Ep IV on it, but I can live with that.....)

Thanks for the information everyone. I should, hopefully, be able to grab them between now and December 31. I'm not really worried about the lack of 'special features' though, so that doesn't even figure in on this release for me. I've seen so many Star Wars documentaries I could probably make my own. But so could a lot of people here I bet. I just want to have the theatrical versions on DVD if I have to buy the SE with them. I haven't seen the 2004 version of the SE yet so I'll have to check those out . . . some time after I watch the theatrical versions.

Just watched the original ESB,

Screw the re-matting, 5.1, overdubs, new emperor, CG.. the lot

The original is pure magic. I just realised why it never felt the same as before. It was twicked way too much and slingshot the film to a different feel.

I disagree, the originals, even the SEs, still have that magical feel to me. There's a feeling that you're not watching a normal movie when you watch these.

Anyways, as far as extras go, the only ones I'm interested in are deleted scenes, and those will probably be on next years supposed 5th Version of the Originals and hopefully second version of the Prequels. I like Special Editions (So long as the originals are available) because it's fun to see what changes can be made.

I'd really like to get ahold of the originals on DVD, but frankly, I don't have the money. I own the SE set, and with all their extras, even if I never watch the extras on those, it's just not worth getting rid of them to get these new bare-bones versions. I really wish they were available for rental. Does anyone know if Netflix has them?

EDIT: Yes, Netflix has them available for rental. I'd recommend doing it that way, Netflix is a pretty nifty thing, especially if you're into TV shows that you're not sure about spending 40 bucks on.

The colouring and lighting was great. They way it was and the way it's supposed to be. Why touch a classic? You can only ruin it.

Anyhow I can only tell you that it felt amazing watching my favourite film as it was meant to be.

It never felt right with the new treatment.

Never knew why until last night.

The film is perfect. The way it is.

I'll get Return of the Jedi next month and can't wait to watch it without all the unnecessary additions

I'm lost. As far as I understand, this set contains:

1. Laser disc versions with unsatisfying transfer, which are a disgrace to the DVD format, because of lack of any restoration. A great testament to laziness.

2. The 2004 DVD versions, which are also faulty, both picture-wise (the horrendous lightsaber effects would be the best example) and sound-wise.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Why should I purchase two faulty versions of the same movies, knowing there will be another set next year (which will itself create brand new problems, I believe)? It's a bit strange moment to release this odd product.

Karol, who doesn't want to buy SW trilogy every single year, again and again.

I'm lost. As far as I understand, this set contains:

1. Laser disc versions with unsatisfying transfer, which are a disgrace to the DVD format, because of lack of any restoration. A great testament to laziness.

2. The 2004 DVD versions, which are also faulty, both picture-wise (the horrendous lightsaber effects would be the best example) and sound-wise.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Why should I purchase two faulty versions of the same movies, knowing there will be another set next year (which will itself create brand new problems, I believe)? It's a bit strange moment to release this odd product.

Karol, who doesn't want to buy SW trilogy every single year, again and again.

Am I wrong to think that the Laser Disc versions contained the 1997 versions with the extra special edition things?

Luke, waiting for the 30th anniversary.

Same here, more or less. I rather expect them to come out with appropriately remastered anamorphic transfers of the original versions sooner or later.

Marian - who's only ever seen the undubbed original trilogy once, in the theatre in 1997 (i.e. not the original original trilogy).

Marian - who's only ever seen the undubbed original trilogy once, in the theatre in 1997 (i.e. not the original original trilogy).

So you only dubbed versions od SW in theaters?

Karol

For those of you who have seen the supposedly original theatrical cuts on DVD, can you provide details about them. I'm very curious about this.

Ted

That's the most polite description for George Luca$' evil empire I've ever heard.

Screw the re-matting

I think its is painful to watch the old matting...

Are you talking about black matte lines, or garbage mattes?

Because garbage mattes are almost always a result of a sub-standard video transfer, or a poorly calibrated television set.

It's not really that confusing. It's just so the originals are available. Why spend all the money and effort on something that the fans clamored for? Purists weren't clamoring for "cleaned up" original movies. They wanted the original theatrical versions and that's what they got.

It's not really that confusing.  It's just so the originals are available.  Why spend all the money and effort on something that the fans clamored for?  Purists weren't clamoring for "cleaned up" original movies. They wanted the original theatrical versions and that's what they got.

Then you'll get the ones that will say, "Well we expected a standard DVD release in anamorphic widescreen." You'll also will get ones that say that plus, "We also expected it to be restored like the 2004 sets."

I can understand both sides but all this arguing for the last 30 years over a set of freaking movies is stupid. :roll:

Purists weren't clamoring for "cleaned up" original movies.

If by "cleaned up," you mean getting a proper video transfer that makes full use of the DVD format, then, uhm, yes we ruddy well were!

I can understand both sides but all this arguing for the last 30 years over a set of freaking movies is stupid.  :roll:

Surely, it can't be more than 10.

Unless people had already been massively complaining about that A New Hope thingy for 20 years...

It's not really that confusing. It's just so the originals are available. Why spend all the money and effort on something that the fans clamored for? Purists weren't clamoring for "cleaned up" original movies. They wanted the original theatrical versions and that's what they got.

My thoughts precisely

These prints were taken from the 1993 Laserdiscs.

We wanted the originals cleaned up not presented in some half ass form.

I want the original version but I would like a restored /cleaned print. That would include an anamorphic widescreen, negative cleaned, soundtrack presented correctly or at least an option like most DVDs.

I don't need new sound effects, CGI that sticks out like a sore thumb from the rest of the film, deleted scenes that do nothing but interrupt the flow of the film, changing the sound mix to bury Williams' music, cropping of the print, snipping footage out of them, and changing the color tone.

I didn't see a crappy print back in 1977, 1980 or 1983.

My thoughts precisely

Also keep in my Lucas has said many times over the years that he would never put the time, money and effort to restore something he felt was incomplete and was never satisifed with. If the fans can't accept that, then that's their own damn problem.

Screw the re-matting

Are you talking about black matte lines

Those. Battle of Hoth is amazing how many errors are there.

I think he only caved in this time because quite a few people at Lucasfilm really begged him to let them release this on DVD. I for one don't really care if the originals are anamorphic or fully restored. I'm in the group who perfers the Special Editions more, that's my choice.

As I said I'm getting this for completist sake, and to retire my VHS sets and VCR.

Screw the re-matting

Are you talking about black matte lines

Those. Battle of Hoth is amazing how many errors are there.

They don't bother me at all. Seriously, I don't even notice them.

I think he only caved in this time because quite a few people at Lucasfilm really begged him to let them release this on DVD.

Or because they realized even Star Wars fans aren't dumb enough to fork out for the same product twice in little over two years. ;)

- Marc, adding some fuel to the fire. ;)