The Adventures of Tintin MOVIE Anticipation thread (News, Interviews, Images, Posters, etc)

TownerFan

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, nice. :D

You know, seeing bits of this image is starting to get me a little excited. Looks like they're going to have a very cool blend of photorealism and the style of the source material. As an American, I've never really had much exposure to Tintin at all, but I'm sure I'll go see the film. And if Williams' score turns out to be a modern classic, I'll be overjoyed to admit I was wrong.

Considering how photo-realistic it all looks I wonder if Tintin's actual face will be like that of the cartoon or a new design. Because taking cartoons and making them that real-looking usually yields horrifying results.

homer.jpg

Haha, but the Simpsons have a rather terrifying design. Tintin looks simple and clean and friendly by comparison. And I believe they've said that they are preserving the original style of the comics, so I assume that means that the faces will be quite similar to the drawings. In any case, we'll know soon enough!

He's gonna look awesome. I know it!

Funny little story: my brother is actually the spitting image of Tintin and it's even his nickname. He was walking through Manchester city center a couple of years ago when he was approached by a person who claimed to be working on a Tintin production. He asked my bro if he had any acting experience to which he said no, and that was that. He took his phone number but never heard anything after.

Who's with me when I say I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the visual style they seem to have gone with?

This is a great piece of marketing.

Agreed. As I said earlier in the thread, seeing it all in motion could kill it...that tends to be the major weakness of CG these days. Creating perfectly photorealistic (or at least utterly gorgeous) rendered stills is a lot easier than getting it to look right in motion. Even mo-capped stuff tends to have some of that "uncanny valley" effect going on. You can just tell it's not a living, breathing organism moving around up there. The differences between CG and reality keep getting more and more subtle, but unfortunately, our brains are really well-tuned to reality, especially where faces are concerned.

EDIT: But I sound way too pessimistic here. I am actually feeling quite excited about this. I think the bits and pieces we've seen look fantastic, and that combined with the prospect of a new Williams score is making me really look forward to this.

That will always be the Tintin theme for me. John Williams had better come up with something really, really good.

No, scratch that.

John Williams had better use the original theme from the animated series!

Or else...

Or else I'll post my displeasure online!

Ha!

Ok, now that I've seen the three pictures I think animation was not the way to go at all. Looks too much "digital". Not "amazing Pixar digital", but neither a original visual style (wich is what I expected).

I don't get Milou/Snowy. But I think that Haddock is probably drunk in his picture, hence the weird and scary look.

For some reason, in my head, those models behaving and moving exactly like actual people (perfect timing, perfect physics, I mean absolute perfection, so they can be simpathetic) look pretty cool.

I dont know, my perception of these images has changed a bit since I first saw them. Milou could be cute (look right at his eyes). I fear my feelings about all this will go in weird, different directions non-stop until I see the film, so I'm just going to wait.

(Right now I'm imagining the score like a mix of Catch Me If You Can/The Terminal and a pirate score.)

they look great. the dot eyes were never going to work.

Milou has to have that moustache riff below the nose, as is what dogs (and specially fox terriers have. the herge drawings were too schematical.

I see the point in doing this CGI. they have created nearly real persons from scratch, that have the features the characters have.

In fact i was expecting them to look like serkis and jamie bell, with would have looked more weird than this i think.

Williams, if his career is any indication, is not going to use the TV series theme, as he has not taken any other people's franchises or themes ever, for a film score.

Williams, if his career is any indication, is not going to use the TV series theme, as he has not taken any other people's franchises or themes ever, for a film score.

It is a little known fact that at the tender age of 8, John Williams penned the song "When You Wish upon a Star" under the two pen names of Leigh Harline and Ned Washington.

This movie will combine the Crab with the Golden Claws, The Secret of the Unicorn (and its 2nd part, Red Rackham's Treasure), and according to some reports, The Shooting Star, although that one hasn't been confirmed by the filmakers yet.

It's not real water, which is what amazes me.

I'm starting to like these now. The shock was big, it took me a few seconds to realize what I was watching. We'll see. I definitely like the "highly detailed painting" vibe to part of the pics.

Captain Haddock looks a bit like my dad. :)

Looking forward to Simon Pegg and Nick Frost in Hergé looks.

Also read Spielberg comments on the Empire website, he says a few interesting things.

Looks really good! I particularly like Haddock's expression on that photo. He's completely drunk! :)

And remember that the Empire cover was specially created for the cover, it's not a film picture.

This movie will combine the Crab with the Golden Claws, The Secret of the Unicorn (and its 2nd part, Red Rackham's Treasure), and according to some reports, The Shooting Star, although that one hasn't been confirmed by the filmakers yet.

I see. That could be a pretty lengthy picture then. I do hope they're not trying to shoehorn in The Shooting Star as well. That'd convolute things quite a bit.

They will probably keep Crab wITH The Golden Claws to a minimun (to introduce Tintin's adventures and Captain Haddock), then skip Shooting starand go with the Unicorn story.

Then again we have the problem of Calculus' absence in Red Rackham. Moreso when Jackson and Spielberg seem to mention The Temple Of The Sun from time to time when talking about sequels.

I wonder if Williams will get bashed for not using the series theme (if he does, of course) as much as Desplat was for not using Hedwig's theme...

No, because most people don't know it, it wasn't composed by Williams so they don't care.

But don't be surprised if it does pop up. If it is a peace of music that is really in the public's mind then he may just do that. Plus Jackson or Spielberg might ask him to.

I wonder if Williams will get bashed for not using the series theme (if he does, of course) as much as Desplat was for not using Hedwig's theme...

No, because most people don't know it, it wasn't composed by Williams so they don't care.

But don't be surprised if it does pop up. If it is a peace of music that is really in the public's mind then he may just do that. Plus Jackson or Spielberg might ask him to.

no because Williams will come up with his own classic theme. Something other composers are unable to do after following Williams in the same series

We'll have all the other composers who follow Williams in the TinTin series to bash for the next decade

But speaking of graphics novel themes ,I think the Asterix theme from the animated films Asterix Le Gaulois and Asterix et Cleopatre from the 70's and the Lucky Luke theme from Daisy Town are hard to beat