The Adventures of Tintin MOVIE Anticipation thread (News, Interviews, Images, Posters, etc)

TownerFan

I am fluent in German and Japanese.

So if there are any reviews in those languages...

It's funny how we see score as an almost separate thing from film, isn't it? I catch myself doing that constantly. Thinking in terms of music/album, rather than motion picture.

Karol

I don't.

Film music is so much more interesting/diverse if you listen to it in the context of the scene it was written for...

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New review from the French Premiere Magazine. I haven't read all of it, but it begins with this sentece:

"What if Tintin is Spielberg's masterpiece?"

Review here (in French):

http://www.premiere....ielberg-2956546

I translated it with Google, but I couldn't grasp whether it's positive review or not.

I think it says it's Spielberg at his most experimental since A.I. or something, and that he goes insane with the virtual camera and the editing. It mentions 1941, Temple of Doom, The Lost World, Catch Me If You Can, Jaws, Hook. It praises Andy Serkis.

Another positive french review (no spoilers in this one):

http://focus.levif.be/loisirs/cinema/tintin-par-spielberg-en-avant-toutes/article-1195116854181.htm

and yet another, no spoilery, I think, that has I praise for the script and says the genius of Spielberg as re-emerged:

http://www.unificationfrance.com/spip.php?article16800

Another, also positive, 4 out of 5:

http://cinevibe.fr/?p=5867

This one is also very positive (4.5 out of 5)

http://www.cinemateaser.com/2011/10/34614-les-aventures-de-tintin-le-secret-de-la-licorne-chronique

I think this one is somewhat negativy, complaining about there being too much action:

http://www.telerama.fr/cinema/on-a-vu-le-tintin-de-spielberg,74043.php

From Le Express (4 out of 5)

http://www.lexpress.fr/culture/cinema/les-aventures-de-tintin-le-secret-de-la-licorne_1039686.html

Well, that explains why only 5 reels of music were written. The last 8 minutes of the film are probably the end credits!

Judging by the trailers, clips and soundtrack samples this is going to be a fantastic amazing fabulous film.

The child in me will be extremely satisfied. The besserwisser in me will have a day off!

Wow that spots gives away the reveal of Tintin at the beginning of the movie as well

Yup, bigtime!

But it's great to see it in motion, not just in a still!

My media blackout remains intact. I feel all smug knowing I'll be going in completely unspoiled, the surprises (such as Tintin's reveal) kept as fresh as milk poured over morning cornflakes.

Did I read somewhere that the film opens with The Adventure Continues...? Or am I mistaken? Lost track somewhere...

It opens with "The Adventures of Tintin"

What a neat and inventive fan made opening title that really goes through all the Tintin stories in that one minute's time. Only thing missing was JWs music. ;)

Well Williams' approach is more about fun sense of adventure with a dash of light hearted fun. It is a questing theme that sounds in the samples like it is constantly searching for a perfect ending but never getting there. It has a youthful energy to it. It is also more immediate and not as long lined as Parker's theme. But we have to hear it in full and in the context of the score to really analyze it fully.

Parker's theme is so serious and urgent with danger inherent, fatal sounding in comparison. It is a nice theme and caught my ear positively when I first heard it years ago but it is just very different from Williams' creation. To my ears not worse and not better but very different.

Hollywood Reporter review is now up (mild spoilers from what I've got, I didn't read it all). It's overall very positive, almost enthusiastic. Just a couple of interesting nuggets:

Steven Spielberg brings the slightly antique world of the famed European comic-book series to splendid, action-filled life as only he can.

[...]

This is what makes Tintin an altogether more successful mocap experience than earlier efforts like The Polar Express, and the director (who operated the camera and is credited as “lighting consultant”) approaches the medium in a realistic way that’s also far from the epic worlds of Avatar, setting things in a past of lifelike artifacts and locations.

[...]

John Williams’ score, which mixes moody 60s-style music with the composer’s more grandiose themes, accompanies events up through the rather ingenious finale

Variety also put up their review and it appears to be enthusiatic as well, but it's accessible to subscribers only. Here's the short recap:

Steven Spielberg has fashioned a whiz-bang thrill ride that's largely faithful to the wholesome spirit of his source; pic should do thundering typhoon biz globally.

Looks like we have a winner here! (Y)

Well Williams' approach is more about fun sense of adventure with a dash of light hearted fun. It is a questing theme that sounds in the samples like it is constantly searching for a perfect ending but never getting there. It has a youthful energy to it. It is also more immediate and not as long lined as Parker's theme. But we have to hear it in full and in the context of the score to really analyze it fully.

Parker's theme is so serious and urgent with danger inherent, fatal sounding in comparison. It is a nice theme and caught my ear positively when I first heard it years ago but it is just very different from Williams' creation. To my ears not worse and not better but very different.

This is my take on the Parker theme. Please note that this is not coming from the 'fanboy' in me who is trying to trample on Parker's theme in order to elevate Williams' work. My opinion would be the same, even if Williams had nothing to do with the Tintin franchise.

First off; I totally understand that those who grew up with the Tintin cartoons have developed a fondness for the theme. If anyone would give the themesong from Jayce And The Wheeled Warriors crap, I would be alarmed as well. I also understand that those who have been familiair with the theme can in no way disassociate it from the world of Tintin. I get that.

However; I heard the theme for the first time about a year ago and my initial thought was: 'it doesn't capture the character very well.' It's a good theme - no doubt there - but it is flawed as the sonic counterpart of Tintin.

Here's why. Look at Tintin. Besides his adventures, there isn't a lot going on for him. He has no mommy-issues, no girls in his life, no personal demons to battle, no skeletons in his closet. He reminds me of Indiana Jones in that sense (although - yes, yes, Indy got to shag a few girls in his time). Tintin is just a fun, no-nonsense kinda hero.

I feel the aural representation of this character should reflect that. It should not try to make him more than he is.

And here Parker fails. The rhythmic opening is the best; it allows room for a truly fun, uplifting, heroic theme to be introduced. But instead of that, Parker unleashes this brooding and dark (yes) melody that could have fitted a "Dr. Evil"-character equally well. It's almost schizophrenic in that sense. The theme doesn't conjure up images of an innocent adventurer.

But then Parker drops the ball completely with the B-part of the theme. A syrupy melodic part that belongs in an equally syrupy romantic melodrama. This doesn't represent any aspect of Tintin and it is of little wonder that Ray Parker has never made any waves in the genre. He was just too inexperienced to adequatly translate the Tintin character into a really representative theme.

Now I know that those who grew up with it will say: "But the theme is very fitting!". That's nostalgia talking, not an objective look at the music.

Again; this is not me saying 'Williams' music is better than anyone elses!" I for one prefer Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds over John Williams' interpretation. In the case of Tintin, I think Williams has the upperhand.

As pure music, Parker's theme may be more encompassing. As the theme for Tintin, Williams got it pretty right with his simple, short, no-nonsense melodic phrase for a boy who is nothing more than an adventurer. And never will be.

Variety has also given it a positive review.

This is from Screen Daily:

"The Herge estate must be thrilled that they entrusted Tintin to Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson who bring the character to the screen with much of the books’ humour, spirit and sense of adventure intact. The Secret Of The Unicorn is a spellbinding cinematic feat which delivers Tintin to a new generation with the same exhilaration as Spielberg and Lucas reinvented the ‘30s serials in Raiders Of The Lost Ark 30 years ago. It’s an example of what the Hollywood system does best – harness the best material, talent and technology in the world and cook it up into unadulterated entertainment for young and old alike. Oh, and it’s also glorious in 3D."

http://www.screendaily.com/reviews/the-latest/-the-adventures-of-tinti%20n-the-secret-of-the-unicorn/5033372.article

Positive review from What Culture, 4 out of 5:

"THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN Review; an outstanding adventure for all ages"

http://whatculture.c...or-all-ages.php

Also good reviews from Variety:

http://www.variety.c...w/VE1117946357/

By the way, does any review mentions anything about Williams' music?

edit: oops, sorry. Now i saw the mention in Hollywood reporter..

Well, not "too dark". I can't find a word for it.

maybe "too heavy"?

Now I know that those who grew up with it will say: "But the theme is very fitting!". That's nostalgia talking, not an objective look at the music.

OK, what the fuck is that? You have every right to not like Parker's theme, and think it doesn't fit the character at all, and all that... But, why gives you the right to say this "Well, if you think Parker's theme fits the character, you're not analyzing the music objectively, and it's nostalgia talking" bullshit? It's not because you think it doesn't fit the character that you're allowed to say "Yeah, everyone who thinks otherwise is not in his right mind". You're the one who's not being objective, here.

No, liking something because of nostaligic reasons is a beautiful thing. The best way to appreciate art actually, because it's so personal. It's like you have a relationship with a certain piece that stands way above criticism. I have this with many, many things, most are somewhat guilty pleasures. ;)

Read the talkback on YouTube (for example) about the Parker piece. People who praise are the ones who grew up with it. There is literally no one who goes "Wow! I just heard this for the first time and it totally rocks!", or whatever hyperbole Tube-users like to use.

You don't get my point.

I didn't even mentioned the quality of the cue. But, since you do... Who are you to say "If anyone likes that piece of music, it can only be nostalgia talking, because it sucks". You don't like the cue. Fine. Other people like it. Fine. Just don't say: "They're wrong. They only like it because they heard it when they were young." What makes you think you're right, when you say this cue sucks, and other people are wrong if they think it's good?

Same goes for the cue fitting the character or not.

It's not because people have a different opinion than yours that it should be attributed to something like nostalgia.

I never said the piece sucks. It's a good piece of music. I've just observed that the ones praising it are also the ones who grew up with it. It doesn't seem to attract any new fans. The Pink Panther Theme, The Raiders' March or the music of LOTR seem to have the power to thrill generations who discover it long after it was written. Parker's Theme doesn't have that kind of impact.

But the heart of my critic is that the theme, with it's dramatic string melodies and piano balladry, just doesn't do justice to the essence of Tintin. IMO.

But you know what would really impress me? If you would adress this:

Look at Tintin. Besides his adventures, there isn't a lot going on for him. He has no mommy-issues, no girls in his life, no personal demons to battle, no skeletons in his closet. He reminds me of Indiana Jones in that sense (although - yes, yes, Indy got to shag a few girls in his time). Tintin is just a fun, no-nonsense kinda hero.

I feel the aural representation of this character should reflect that. It should not try to make him more than he is.

And here Parker fails. The rhythmic opening is the best; it allows room for a truly fun, uplifting, heroic theme to be introduced. But instead of that, Parker unleashes this brooding and dark (yes) melody that could have fitted a "Dr. Evil"-character equally well. It's almost schizophrenic in that sense. The theme doesn't conjure up images of an innocent adventurer.

But then Parker drops the ball completely with the B-part of the theme. A syrupy melodic part that belongs in an equally syrupy romantic melodrama. This doesn't represent any aspect of Tintin and it is of little wonder that Ray Parker has never made any waves in the genre. He was just too inexperienced to adequatly translate the Tintin character into a really representative theme.

And tell me WHY you feel Parker's theme DOES represent Tintin accurately? ;)

The theme is for Tintin's adventures, not for Tintin himself.

And here Parker succeeds. It's not another one of those one-sided uplifting heroic themes in the long line of such themes in that era. Instead of that, Parker unleashes a balanced theme which captures both the thrillingness and old-fashioned melodrama of the adventure, and the genuine tension and drama involved in Tintin's adventures - which are often quite serious in nature. They aren't innocent treasure hunts; they're often thrillers, politically charged plots, world-saving scenarios.

He has very adequately translated the Tintin adventures into a really representative theme.

The theme is for Tintin's adventures, not for Tintin himself.

And here Parker succeeds. It's not another one of those one-sided uplifting heroic themes in the long line of such themes in that era. Instead of that, Parker unleashes a balanced theme which captures both the thrillingness and old-fashioned melodrama of the adventure, and the genuine tension and drama involved in Tintin's adventures - which are often quite serious in nature. They aren't innocent treasure hunts; they're often thrillers, politically charged plots, world-saving scenarios.

He has very adequately translated the Tintin adventures into a really representative theme.

That's an answer I can live with. I was under the impression Parker stated the theme he wrote was for the character specifically. If the theme indeed does represent something larger than it is unfair to compare Williams' theme for the character to Parker's theme. A suite from the entire Tintin score would be more appropriate.

:up:

I don't think it's entirely fair to compare the theme directly to Williams's. Musically, Williams's theme is of course going to be better, but it's better than 99,9 percent of all filmmusic. But they can both be perfectly enjoyable and fitting - after all, what Parker scored is not at all the same as what Williams scored - these are two different Tintins - which are also different from the comic-book Tintin. As a TV theme to this TV series, Parker's theme is perfect, and it's highly entertaining: regarding enjoyability - and nostalgia may indeed be speaking now - it probably even makes my top 10 of TV themes.

PS: I have no idea what Parker stated; if he stated it's for the character, then I'd still argue he's wrong, and it fits the adventure more than the character. On the other hand, the adventure makes the character - character and story both feed into each other. And one could perfectly make an argument for the theme to be perfectly fitting as well even if it wás for the character.

I've read tens of very positive reviews by now, but this one had this to say about John Williams:

"The film also sees the much needed return of composer John Williams who provides yet another dazzling and effective score. The music captures the essence of the film in an instant and compliments it throughout."

http://www.theupcoming.co.uk/2011/10/17/the-adventures-of-tintin-the-secret-of-the-unicorn/

I've read tens of very positive reviews by now, but this one had this to say about John Williams:

"The film also sees the much needed return of composer John Williams who provides yet another dazzling and effective score. The music captures the essence of the film in an instant and compliments it throughout."

http://www.theupcomi...of-the-unicorn/

Great! :ola:

But we knew that the moment we heard the samples, didn't we? ;)