The Adventures of Tintin MOVIE Anticipation thread (News, Interviews, Images, Posters, etc)

TownerFan

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And John Williams has received his first Annie nomination for Tintin :)

#18 – Music in a Feature Production

Henry Jackman “Puss In Boots” DreamWorks Animation

John Williams “Tintin” Amblin Entertainment, Wingnut Films and Kennedy/Marshall

Mikael Mutti, Siedah Garrett, Carlinhos Brown, Sergio Mendes, John Powell, “Rio” Blue Sky Studios

Zooey Deschannel, Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Henry Jackman, Robert Lopez “Winnie The Pooh” Walt Disney Animation Studios

he has to win that one.

REALLY.

Yeah. I already live in a world where Gustavo Santolalla wins Best Score over John Williams. Let's not add Zooey Deschanel to the list.

The New Yorker's review couldn't be more balanced and reasonable. And yes, it is a positive one.

The great thing about “The Adventures of Tintin” is that it never stops moving—and the terrible thing about it is that it never stops moving.

That's pretty much exactly what I said here after seeing it. I disagree with the review's closing words, though.

The first hour and thirty minutes by far outweigh the bloated final fifteen, to the point that I already forgive it for that thankfully non-fatal flaw (I've seen it twice).

The lack of a significant breather between the pursuit of the falcon and the finale at the docks is an unfortunate misstep and it's only right that Spielberg should be pulled up on it. In a way the clash of cranes comes off as being very reminiscent of the T-Rex in San Diego sequence of TLW; only nowhere near gleefully satisfying.

Ah, but it's fine. There's enough breathing space in the middle. It would be awful to put filler in a moment where we're reaching the ending and in a film as fast as this. I mean what are you going to insert? Tintin planning what he's going to do? Useless and boring. It's like slowing down in the last half an hour of The Temple of Doom, or nearing the climax of Jaws: doesn't work.

Moreso, when the film's a rollercoaster where the change of location is irrelevant. The Karaboudjan, the fastest ship in the galaxy...

The crane fight is a pretty original scene that manages to use the environment in a trepidant way (it's nowhere as long as people make it to be) reminiscing of the sea battle before Rackham goes down the "mast" and duels Haddock again in his ship. So they manage to make the final scene between the two characters surprising but at the same time perfectly fitting into the whole. I love these kind of simple circular structures, I was like "fuck yeah" at the theater.

Ah, I just felt like listening to the score again.

I side with Quint on this one.

The character moment lasts less than two minutes. We never feel exactly sad that Tintin has given up, nor do we feel particularly joyous for his immediate snapping back into action. Chaac points out that there is no possible scene that could go between those two set pieces and he is more right than wrong. But I think there was a chance there to show just how good Tintin is on top form -- I'm not a writer, but a dialog-less montage of the way back home? Maybe a few more innocent, displays of wit in the face of slight complication?

In the times of Pixar, you can't get away with going so old-school.

I wouldn't dare to specifically say what scene should go there. Either that or a more suspense-driven prelude to the climax once in Belgium (not Hitchcock suspense, I'm thinking more of Indy with the bazooka in Raiders. Even Star Wars devoted a bunch of shots to show the Millenium Falcon landing on Yavin just to tone down the pace between the TIE fighter attack and the final battle.

Even Star Wars devoted a bunch of shots to show the Millenium Falcon landing on Yavin just to tone down the pace between the TIE fighter attack and the final battle.

IMVHO, one of the worst edited parts of the film, and annoying with the same swoosh sound time and again..

Noooooooooooo! The cool thing of the falcon scene is just how overboard it is... and then we get the motorcycle slide thing.. and then it doesn't end just there as we follow a Tintin that just won't give up! In my opinion it needs all the buildup. :lol:

After this scene Tintin giving up even makes sense.

I don't know, it seems some people have a limit of action they can absorb. You're just not keeping up with the film!

As I see it, slowing down so near the ending in a chase film like this is a mistake. You don't have to slow down... you have to build over the previous climatic point with a bigger climatic point, and make everybody in the audience loose their breath. It kind of makes it "real".

Examples: The Temple of Doom, Children of Men, Jaws. It kind of like Aliens as well.

Of course, it doesn't have to be like this, but I think in the case of this fil it works brilliantly.

As great fun as it is, they could have shaved a minute or so off the falcon chase. That might have helped.

for a moment i thought you were speaking of the 'TIE fighter attack scene' :P

See they should have used a Hobby instead of that zeelander falcon, and williams named the track in order, so we wouldnt confuse films! ;)

As I see it, slowing down so near the ending in a chase film like this is a mistake. You don't have to slow down... you have to build over the previous climatic point with a bigger climatic point, and make everybody in the audience loose their breath. It kind of makes it "real".

Examples: The Temple of Doom, Children of Men, Jaws. It kind of like Aliens as well.

Of course, it doesn't have to be like this, but I think in the case of this fil it works brilliantly.

It's not our fault we can't keep up with the film. It's the filmmaker's.

As for Doom, Men, Jaws and, to a lesser extent, Aliens, they all had had their slowed down character scenes in previous sections of the movie before the finale. Those movies are carefully paced in crescendo. Tintin starts off strong and stays that way.

It's not our fault we can't keep up with the film. It's the filmmaker's.

I'm not serious when I say it's your "fault" or anything. :lol:

But I can't help thinking, if a film charged with action nonstop manages to be an overdose to a few people and be perfectly fine to other few people, what's actually going on?

Indeed, the little three minute breather after Ripley and Newt escape, before the Alien Queen impales Bishop, feels like three times the length of the Tintin and Haddock downtime after their barnstorming chase sequence; and yet it could quite possibly be a shorter scene, in reality.

It's all about structure and pace. It was the only chink in Michael Kahn's otherwise flawless editing.

Obviously it feels longer, they just escaped a thermonuclear explosion and things are supposed to be fine (well, sort of). The scene in Tintin is not a fake ending. If we put together the fake ending of Aliens and the ending of Tintin, the little scene with Tintin and Haddock would be like (I think, because I don't remember much of the film right now) like when Ripley tells someone she's going back for Newt, and then the finding of Newt and the Queen would be like the crane fight. Aliens has that extra moment later that is supposed to go like a surprise.

I still don't know how the Queen got there anyway. :lol:

Check out this page:

http://www.longliveyourdog.com/tintin/

It has an excluse clip (the one where the dog chases Tintin and Snowy comes to the rescue) and a Snowy commercial.

No unreleased music here, but the clips are in fantastic quality. Definetly worth checking out for those of us who haven't seen the movie yet.

Boy. That scene with the dog chasing Tintin... I'm still trying to find the point of it. I'm sure someone will be able to find one and tell me what it is.

A call-back to the comic books and a much-needed illusion to pretend like something is happening in the first 20 minutes of the film.

Check out this page:

http://www.longliveyourdog.com/tintin/

It has an excluse clip (the one where the dog chases Tintin and Snowy comes to the rescue) and a Snowy commercial.

No unreleased music here, but the clips are in fantastic quality. Definetly worth checking out for those of us who haven't seen the movie yet.

Why anyone would want to spoil themselves in such a way is beyond me.

I did see it on the first day and it was a fun, entertaining movie for a person who was very little concerned with dog anatomy and movie and comic comparisons. Damn you John Williams and your ear worm themes! Adventure Continues does not let go. It has been playing in my head for days.

I did see it on the first day and it was a fun, entertaining movie for a person who was very little concerned with dog anatomy and movie and comic comparisons. Damn you John Williams and your ear worm themes! Adventure Continues does not let go. It has been playing in my head for days.

I hate John Williams sometimes.

Weird. If it was a different classical piece, I'd say they were trying to set up a "classical European yet whacky" vibe.

But 1812 is part of the bombastic, patriotic repertoire of so many concerts, it's a strange decision.

I saw that TV spot too. I'm not a fan of their marketing strategy. Everything from the music to the editing to the choice of critics' quotes seems off to me, but the actual content of the trailers has looked promising (for the record, I like Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, but I think it's a little cliche when used in film or film trailers). I just purchased 2 tickets to the midnight premiere.

I still can't freaking buy tickets! It's opening tomorrow and the IMAX screen in Providence has no ticketing information up. Annoying.

They've had MI4 since it opened on the IMAX screen, but for tomorrow's listings instead of listing all the same showtimes as today and Monday like normal, they simply don't have any listings. I'd guess they haven't decided yet which movies will get what showings, etc. (It's a multiplex with 14 or so regular screens as well as the 1 imax screen)