Transformers - Steve Jablonsky

ChuckM

How do you go through school with that sort of last name? I mean I'd come home crying every afternoon.

Which one do you mean - Jablonsky, Butler, Witwicky, any other?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome!

On a side note, it's funny how the petition for the Transformers score has reached over 4,500 signatures in just a few months, while the John Williams DVD petition has only a little over 2,300, and it's been around for how long now? (Not that I don't want to see that come out as well.)

This just goes to show that Steve Jablonsky is a better composer than John Williams, and also that score CDs are comparable to documentary DVDs.

Well, I'm glad to hear about the CD release. Bring on this boring, mediocre shit that people only like because they nostalgically associate it with silly toys from their childhoods.

The Transformers cartoon had more plot and character than a lot of stuff you'll find today.

John- wondering why all the demand for such a mediocre, and that's being nice, score to a mediocre movie

Awesome!

On a side note, it's funny how the petition for the Transformers score has reached over 4,500 signatures in just a few months, while the John Williams DVD petition has only a little over 2,300, and it's been around for how long now? (Not that I don't want to see that come out as well.)

This just goes to show that Steve Jablonsky is a better composer than John Williams, and also that score CDs are comparable to documentary DVDs.

Well, I'm glad to hear about the CD release. Bring on this boring, mediocre shit that people only like because they nostalgically associate it with silly toys from their childhoods.

Well I saw the movie and I'm to young to have seen the original Transformers cartoons and I loved the movie and it made me a fan of the G1 cartoon.

As the CD release goes, I'm looking foward to it. The score was not half bad, it was no Williams but I didn't think it was mediocre.

• 2 weeks later...

http://theknightshift.blogspot.com/

This caught my eyes:

"Warner Records may consider publishing a 2-disc set containing all the music that Steve Jablonsky and his crew created for Transformers, which presumably would include most/all of the music not used in the final cut of the movie (Jablonsky reportedly composed about 90 minutes of score). The possibility of a 2-disc Transformers score album depends on how well the initial release sells."

what do you all think?

i'll definately be buying both versions~

I would buy the two disc set, but its kind of a bitch i must say. Although Jablonsky is no John Williams is score was good and it may be worth the two discs, but I'm still waiting for the "complete" Star Wars episodes II & III!

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed that out of all the scores this summer they consider an expanded version for, it's Transformers.

But ok, I shouldn't be saying that before we have the original - could be great for all I know. I would still rather have a proper release of Spider-Man 3 though.

I'm still waiting for the "complete" Star Wars episodes II & III!
I would still rather have a proper release of Spider-Man 3 though.

Funny. The rights for both of those are held by Sony.

As this is Warner, I would rather bug them about complete Harry Potter scores!

Yea yeah...

Just listened to Decepticon's theme and... that was a theme? :D

I'm trying to be pro Jablonsky and MV in general, but I wouldn't buy a CD just for that track.

And for those irritatingly persistent MV haters out there, given Rabin's Heroes a go and pretend he didn't write it; you might be surprised.

And for those irritatingly persistent MV haters out there, given Rabin's Heroes a go and pretend he didn't write it; you might be surprised.

Rabin's Heroes?!?!? Heroes as in the NBC show, or is it something else I'm not realizing?

IF: What do you think it is about your sound that Michael likes?

JABLONKSY: I try not to analyze too much. He likes things that sound cool and modern. He loves percussion, and he also loves emotion in the music. So I try to find a balance. It helps that I love all of the same things, and I love to experiment. I love playing with different sounds in my computer, cutting them up and running them through all kinds of plug-ins to see what new sounds come out. I love big percussion (I was lucky enough to spend three days recording some of the best percussionists in the world for TRANSFORMERS). But what I love most is writing themes that will hopefully move an audience, and heighten their emotional connection to the film. So working with Michael allows me to do all of these things.

That sounds deeply complicated. Play with some stuff on a computer and run it through some plug-ins, the result is your new score.

Is this the new generation of "composers" that's supposed to carry a heritage?

This is more than nauseating.

JABLONKSY: I didn't set out to create a metallically cold sound, quite the opposite. I wanted the music to create an emotional connection between the humans and the Transformers.

This may be just my view on things, but that is the attitude that makes so many films sound and feel so corny. Why does there have to be a "true emotional bond" in even the most ridiculously obvious action flick?

The world needs those, too, so stand by it and say "this is a fun score for a fun film".

A movie like Transformers doesn't need Shakespearean drama.

JABLONKSY: I didn't set out to create a metallically cold sound, quite the opposite. I wanted the music to create an emotional connection between the humans and the Transformers.

He made more of an effort than the filmmakers did.

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Steve-J...5709&sr=1-1

1. Autobots

2. Decepticons

3. All Spark

4. Deciphering the Signal

5. Frenzy

6. Optimus

7. Bumblebee

8. Soccent Attack

9. Sam at the Lake

10. Skorpinok

11. Cybertron

12. Arrival to Earth

13. Whitwicky

14. Downtown Battle

15. Sector 7

16. Bumblebee Captured

17. You're a Soldier Now

18. Sam on the Roof

19. Optimus vs. Megatron

20. No Sacrifice, No Victory

I like how the album cover says 'Transformers: The Score', and does away with that 'Original Motion Picture score'... that wording is old IMO.

Looks like we get a good amount of music too :rolleyes:

By the way, does anyone else find it annoying that song albums are usually called 'Original Motion Picture Soundtrack' when in a great number of cases, there's nothing actually original on the disc.

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Steve-J...5709&sr=1-1

1. Autobots

2. Decepticons

3. All Spark

4. Deciphering the Signal

5. Frenzy

6. Optimus

7. Bumblebee

8. Soccent Attack

9. Sam at the Lake

10. Skorpinok

11. Cybertron

12. Arrival to Earth

13. Whitwicky

14. Downtown Battle

15. Sector 7

16. Bumblebee Captured

17. You're a Soldier Now

18. Sam on the Roof

19. Optimus vs. Megatron

20. No Sacrifice, No Victory

Is it just me, or is it not in chronological order? I thought the Soccent Attack (08) came right after the opening. Just curious

• 2 weeks later...

I've just got hold of Jablonsky's promo (the real score, not the video game), and after listening to 3 cues, I gotta say - this is just typical MV. I've even heard a direct quotation from Armageddon.

Usually I'm fairly indifferent about MV, but I simply don't understand why so many people want to hear this particular score. It works for the film, just not for me as a listening experience.

WOW...what a lame score.

The only redeeming value of this kind of music was its power.

There is no such power here. It's like walking a moderate line with blockbuster MV...and it just doesn't work. He's trying to play big music in a subdued way and it's hopelessly dull. It's all or nothing when you go for synth based power anthems Stevie boy.

No wonder I didn't even notice it in the movie.

"Autobot's Descent to Earth " has the best melody in the score, but overall it's arranged quite terribly. I did hear couple of cues from Jablonsky's "Steamboy" and "D-War" and I must say they sound 100% better than the "Transformers" (especially "Steamboy").

How can I find the actual promo disc or the full tracks it contains? Is it actually in stores or what? I can't find it anywhere online or off.

Go here:

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/fr/disco_detail.php?id=714

That site is the go-to place for ANYTHING related to Remote Control. It has everything one can ask for.

The Promo I have is a great sample of what can be heard in the film. At least it will give me something to listen to until October 9th.

A 2-Disc complete set will be planned depending on how well the single disc release sells.

NOW, really why these kind of scores gets that treatment?

Nobody (companies, producers, Williams...) says these things about Williams scores.

And im sure they got great sales.

I mean: They release the transformer album. People want the score. They release the score. Now if it sells well they will release it complete. And this in less than a year for sure.

We have waited 20 years for complete releases of actually good scores..

The Promo I have is a great sample of what can be heard in the film. At least it will give me something to listen to until October 9th.

A 2-Disc complete set will be planned depending on how well the single disc release sells.

NOW, really why these kind of scores gets that treatment?

Because it has TRANSFORMERS on the front cover.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with the music itself.

I would think Indiana Jones, Star Wars and Harry Potter should have the Same effect....

the 1st two are Lucas controled but the latter isnt :huh:

It's all about resuse fees for most scores though.

harry potter,SW and Raiders were made in London...

• 1 month later...