I saw Transformers tonight

Eric_JWFAN

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whatever KKK,

OK, this is a pretty significant insult in my book. The moderator doesn't agree? Joey, my wife is Thai. How could that make me a racist? I idolize several black athletes. I love ethnicities and cultures from all over the globe. They're all God's people to me. Racism is an abomination to humanity. And yet you make that accusation towards me. And, of course, when one makes that accusation, I look like the bad guy no matter what simply because I had to defend myself against it. You must be more hateful of a person than I ever believed before to make a statement so inflammatory and absolutely baseless. I won't even bother into calling you what I think you are. At least not on a public message board with rules and decency standards. Wonderful for you to show everybody that you don't respect the board the same way. Or me.

but Transformers isn't the big Hit I thought it would be, I figured it would be smashing B/O recorrds, i guess its not the pop culture phenomenon either of us thought it would be.

I could care less about B/O. Who cares? And I never predicted it would be a smash or a failure either, so what's the point? My point was that, as someone who grew up on the original series and line of action figures, I enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would. In fact, if one digs into the archives, I think I stated my disbelief that this movie would be any good when it was first announced. But it surprised me in being better than my expectations. It's far from a masterpiece, but it is good fun. Period. If you want to demean the millions of Transformers fans and collectors over the last 23 years out there, be my guest. You're good at that, and I know of none who like you for that.

and for the record kris,

My name is Chris. As seen in my spelling everywhere on this board and my websites. You used to type it accurately before, so I don't think that is a typo, but rather an intentional thing. Either that or you have the laziest mind conceivable for someone who frequents, reads, and posts on message boards so much, Goie.

was the cartoon really that good, come on, it was badly animated.

I taught myself how to draw from that "badly animated" cartoon, Goie. There were around 98 or so episodes and yes there were some poor ones, but several had outstanding animation that changed my life after seeing it. I'm an artist who gives a lot of credit to that original show. It was well done all-around with stories, characterization, voice acting, and music. You have no real authoritative say in the issue unless you actually watched the whole series. And I somehow doubt you did. Just a hunch. And if you did, at your age and no kids to watch it with, that would be really weird.

And nobody should be subjected to a story arc 50 or 60 episodes to tell a complete tale.

Actually, I never said that, did I? Though the story did have an arc (much more established in the first and third seasons), it wasn't needed to see the whole story. I could name a batch of essential episodes that shows the entire story arc from the pilot, the movie, and the final batch of episodes, but you'd never watch them and you don't really care, you're just attacking me personally. What I said is that the movie on its own isn't as good unless you know the basic overall story, origins, and what happens after. One could say that about any episodic story told over years... but maybe your attention span can't follow such a thing. I don't know.

At somepoint individual episodes had to be self sustained.

Most were. I never said that they weren't. But also, I won't lie, there were many episodes that I didn't like because they were formulaic, poorly animated, and too much like a toy commercial. But for the most part, the series was wonderful and a pop-culture phenomenon rarely seen before or since. The toys are ingenious and many very good writers and artists have had their names attached to Transformers in either working on it or enjoying it. But, again, never mind facts... just bash it, Goei.

and I thought you were intelligent enough(obviously Im completely wrong)

That's funny. You are right about one thing though... you're completely wrong. And often. In the most annoying way; that you spout opinions as though they were facts and piss on the opinions of others. I've also seen you change your mind and piss all over everybody on both sides of an issue. Why? Can't you simply state an opinion and lay off the insults? Defend your own opinion, and try not to attack someone else? Are you even remotely capable of such a thing? Or do you just like to troll?

to understand that Star Trek is a real pop culture phenomenon, that endures even today. Its success is unquestioned. Fact, not opinion.

Joe, I'd like for you to point out where I ever questioned Star Trek's pop culture status? I like parts of Star Trek. I enjoyed parts of the Classic series, TNG, and a few of the movies were enjoyable. Then, some I find too boring or silly to care. That's just me. I also think that those hardcore Trekkies are a little weird and very nerdy, but I also know that that's a faction of Star Wars, Transformers, LOTR or anything else that could fall into that category. But regardless, I never said that Star Trek wasn't a phenomenon nor overall a great artistic achievement. It was both. I just said that it kind of bores me personally. Not my thing. The difference between you and me is that you piss on anything that you don't like over and over and over again, and I don't. Again, your argument is weak and self-deluded. Please try harder to make a point worth my time.

if there weren't a few more big B/O movies still coming I suppose Transformers could become the #1 film of the summer but it looks more and more likely that that worst big budget film of the summer is also the biggest hit. Hmmm,

Goei, did I ever make the prediction that it would be a B/O smash or the inclination that I cared? If you asked me before I saw any results, I believed that too many people would probably think it was a kids movie and wouldn't go. That's what a friend of mine thought when I asked him to go see it. He said he'd bring his son, and his son may be too young for it yet. I just said how I thought the movie was surprisingly enjoyable, and I expected it to suck as soon as the name Bay was attached. It would up far better than I thought, and my wife agreed. Again, this is just another case of you just throwing insults because you are a troll. Hmm... Goie the resident troll of JWFan. Hmm... I rather like that!

By the way Transformers has made over $67 million world wide. Domestically (here in the US) it's made over $150 million. I call that pretty impressive numbers.

I'd say so too, Vosk. BTW, why don't you ever email me anymore?

Now, in closing, I'll stand by what I originally said all along with additions. It wasn't a perfect movie (I too thought the humor and the human characters got a bit too much screen time and the Transformers themselves - especially the Decepticons - didn't get developed enough). Other than that, it was still an action movie worth seeing. And now I give way for more insults and incorrect statements by our cantankerous JWFan troll, Goei!

Thats krusher, I really didn't know the history of the cartoon, now I know more.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw it finally.It was cool.Apart from the final battle which dragged on 10 minutes too long,I had a good time.More fun than Spiderman 3 and PotC 3

K.M.

I saw Transformers, and I think it's restored my faith in life. I've never laughed with such mirth! I actually went into a laughing fit as the credits rolled and could not stop for about ten minutes. To say that this movie was mindless, pretentious, confusing, racist, cheesy, melodramatic, stale, repetitive, boring and absurd would not do it justice. Mere criticism is below Transformers. Only mad, interminable laughter can begin to express my feelings toward this film.

"Soundwave superior. Michael Bay inferior."

:rolleyes: That reminded me of something. Did you see this? Quite funny.

(I don't know if this MB allows YouTube embeds? If it did, I would. I tried it and it didn't work, so just follow the link.)

I saw Transformers, and I think it's restored my faith in life. I've never laughed with such mirth! I actually went into a laughing fit as the credits rolled and could not stop for about ten minutes. To say that this movie was mindless, pretentious, confusing, racist, cheesy, melodramatic, stale, repetitive, boring and absurd would not do it justice. Mere criticism is below Transformers. Only mad, interminable laughter can begin to express my feelings toward this film.

Were you expecting a 4-star drama or romantic comedy or something? It is what it is - an action/adventure/sci-fi movie. In that regard, it works. And again... I expected it to suck and I went away liking it for the most part.

Wow...such a negative post towards a good film in my opinion. Oh well...sucks you didn't like it.

So, not a DVD purchase then?

Obviously not.

I for one am planning on buying it on DVD and I'm sure there will be a 2-DVD set eventually.

Thats krusher, I really didn't know the history of the cartoon, now I know more.

:rolleyes: at you always misspelling his name.

:rolleyes: at you always misspelling his name.

That's Goie, our ever-hatin' JWFan troll! :lol:

BTW, Vosk, how did you go from hating the guys guts and emailing me about it every single day to loving the guy's suspect humor, blocking me on your IM, never sending CDRs that you owed me, and never answering my emails? :rolleyes:

Were you expecting a 4-star drama or romantic comedy or something? It is what it is - an action/adventure/sci-fi movie. In that regard, it works. And again... I expected it to suck and I went away liking it for the most part.

I'll tell what I was not expecting; I was not expecting to find out that the Great Depression was caused by President Hoover spending billions on a secret alien robot research facility!

I haven't seen that, but I bet it's decent. Does it take itself as seriously as God orating the Ten Commandments to Moses atop Mount Sinai?

I'll tell what I was not expecting; I was not expecting to find out that the Great Depression was caused by President Hoover spending billions on a secret alien robot research facility!

:lol: I thought that was rather clever, myself. In the pilot mini-series of the old G1 cartoon, the Decepticons just demolished Hoover Dam for energy! It's not all that different to other sci-fi movies taking real-life things and making up stories around them. Wasn't there a similar thing in MIB about the World Fair or something?

I've very much enjoyed a Transformers movie the last week or so. The one that's all cartoony and about 20 years old. You know, the good one.

Yeah. I've been showing the whole series to my wife and she loves them. She enjoys seeing something from my chidhood.

I haven't seen that, but I bet it's decent. Does it take itself as seriously as God orating the Ten Commandments to Moses atop Mount Sinai?

I don't think that Michael Bay took it as seriously as old G1 fans would have liked because of all the humor and needlessly not hiring some of the old show's voices and instead hiring people that kind of sounded like the old voices, but weren't them. But it works on its own, IMO. It isn't great, but the CG are dazzling. A little quick for the size ratio that the TFs are supposed to be, but still fun to watch.

I don't think that Michael Bay took it as seriously as old G1 fans would have liked because of all the humor and needlessly not hiring some of the old show's voices and instead hiring people that kind of sounded like the old voices, but weren't them. But it works on its own, IMO. It isn't great, but the CG are dazzling. A little quick for the size ratio that the TFs are supposed to be, but still fun to watch.

Sorry, I was relating Bay's film to the Ten Commandments, not the old TV show (G1?), which I've never seen. After Transformers, I felt like the meaning of life had just been revealed to me by divine forces. Except instead of the meaning of life, it was a terrible script, Jon Voight and maddeningly long, boring action sequences.

Sorry, I was relating Bay's film to the Ten Commandments, not the old TV show (G1?), which I've never seen. After Transformers, I felt like the meaning of life had just been revealed to me by divine forces. Except instead of the meaning of life, it was a terrible script, Jon Voight and maddeningly long, boring action sequences.

Er, I don't know why you'd relate Transformers to The Ten Commandments. They have nothing similar other than they are movies. One's a Biblical Epic and one's a sci-fi/action movie. Apples and oranges.

Maybe I need to make it clearer. You know how religion is really significant and important, and how it is taken seriously by so many?

Transformers tries to be religion. It has no sense of how ridiculous it is. The tone (helped in no small part by the soundtrack) is similar to that of Pearl Harbor. Now compare their subject matters.

I'm glad it made someone laugh.

I'm with John, I'll watch the cartoon movie to get my Transformers fix.

Fortunately not, but you do have to have some background in the TV series to fully appreciate the movie's biggest events and (gasp!) character moments.

Maybe I need to make it clearer. You know how religion is really significant and important, and how it is taken seriously by so many?

Transformers tries to be religion. It has no sense of how ridiculous it is. The tone (helped in no small part by the soundtrack) is similar to that of Pearl Harbor. Now compare their subject matters.

I seriously hope you're joking...

There's a difference between "serious" and "dramatic" - Transformers is the latter. It's just as serious as Bad Boys 2 was, and by that I mean not at all. Bay alternates between humorous and dramatic, that's just his style.

I have gotten a reply from the sound designer mel wesson and the percussion/choir orchestrator Frank Macchia for Transformers and they have both said that they have no knowledge of a score cd release as of right now for the film.

Here is what I know so far:

1. Lorne Balfe said: There is talk of a score for transformers coming out but it will be at least another 2 months!

2. Mel Wesson said: That's a question a lot of people are asking but to tell the truth I have no idea what's happening with the album. It would surprise me if the score wasn't released, although people tell me soundtrack albums without high profile songs seldom sell that well. That said it's a big movie, there's a market for the score and I'm sure it'll be available at some stage.

3. Frank Macchia said: I have not heard that there will be a score release of Steve's music to Transformers. It's possible that down the road a CD will come out, but I do not know of any CD presently planned.

4. SonyMusicStore Customer Service said: At this time, there are no immediate plans regarding the release of the Transformers soundtrack score.

If anyone else heres any new news please post it, Thanks, All!

5. Chandra Cogburn said: "I know that they are working on a score cd for Transformers. I'm not sure exactly when it will come out, but very soon."

i am e-mailing people who worked on the film to find out info on the score release eg. release date, etc... they are replying back to me and i am posting what they say so othrs know whats going on.

I really hope they release a score. I really wasn't paying to much attention to the score (I was that mesmerized by the movie) but from what I noticed it wasn't half bad.

Well, I saw it tonight. I guess it was what you'd expect from Bay...mildly amusing at times, mostly thanks to LaBeouf's good performance in spite of his surroundings. Definitely would've benefited from taking itself much less seriously; way too many slo-mo shots and exaggerated dramatics. The CGI was astounding, however. As for the score, even though it was just as derivative as you'd expect, it worked better than the abrupt and seemingly random rock songs. Although I have to admit, I couldn't tell at times whether it was Jablonsky or some modern rock band causing so much ruckus.

I wonder if Bay's filmmaking style will evolve after he turns 17.

Ray Barnsbury

There were some spots in particular where it was really good. Like when the Autobot meteors were falling.

Yeah, that music was great! So dramatic! You really feel for the struggle of Earth against the invaders.

Just saw the movie (again). This time I actually listened for certain bits. I agree with the above on the cue when the meteor's are falling, quite powerful indeed. I do hope they release a soundtrack.

I've seen it twice now as well. It definitely is better the second time around, in every way. I am looking forward to a score release a lot more after having seen it twice.

I've seen it. I didn't like it. It's the first time that I see anything of the Transformers (never seen the cartoons) and I find it way too silly. The first half hour, when the yellow robot was still a car, was the best part of the movie. That part contained some okay humor too. My major problem was the robot's dialogue (I get it) and voices. Plus, it's just smashing things with no content whatsoever. I can't imagine this film being a success outside America. I did gaze at the chick though (not the Aussie, the American one).

Alex

During my second veiwing, I kind of wished I hadn't gone again. The effects are stunning of course, but after the first time, the awe factor is kind of gone and you're stuck checking your watch.

~Sturgis