I saw Transformers tonight

Eric_JWFAN

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've just insulted the 870 million people who are die hard Transformers fans

It's like saying there's no use to analyse the score to E.T.

It was only composed for a children's film.

Well as cool as it would be to insult 870 million people at once, that wasn't it. We're only a couple of years apart in age so I know we experienced it at roughly the same childhood age and I know where you're coming from there, I was there too. I really like the movie, it has a lot of great things going for it, but in the end it is a kids cartoon movie based on a kids cartoon show, which to me doesn't lend itself to deep philosophical discussions on film making.

And, seriously, the score for ET and Transformers? That's not apples and oranges, that's like, watermelons and satsumas.

Why is everyone saying the 1986 film was based on a cartoon series? It wasn't. That movie, this new movie and the TV show was based on a bunch of plastic toys.

Neil

Especially since he thought Superman Returns was gonna be good.

He should've not returned. Even The Hulk was more interesting. I too thought Singer was going to come up with something better. There must be two Bryan Singers. It's the only way I an explain it.

Alex

I don't hate Indy IV, I just don't think it's a good idea to make the movie.

Superman Returns should have been good. At least I can admit it's junk.

From the ads for Transformers: "Based on Hasbro's Transformers Action Figures".

Anything else?

Neil

Anything else?

Neil

And is this a bad thing?

You might not have realize this back in those days, since you were playing with your toy Ewoks, but Transformers were very cool to have.

Hmm, Bay's movie is receiving quite good comments from critics (see quotes below). It seems like a perfect film for my son.

Transformers isn't just dorky, it's gloriously dorky.

Better than sex.

One of the few summer blockbusters to live up to its hype

Michael Bay's best film to date offers plenty of fun, but not more than meets the eye.

There's not much under the hood, but Transformers roars with power and style thanks to awe-inspiring action and flawless effects.

For sci-fi excitement and escapist, fast-paced action, you cn't beat this. It's spectacularly loud, fun-filled and wicked cool.

Transformers: The Movie (1986)

Alien 3

Congo

Showgirls

Spetters

All terrible and not considered good. I didn't ask for your personal opinion.

Blade Runner...

That one had mixed reviews and only the loudest were heard.

See how difficult it is? And I only asked for 5 examples out of a 1000.000 movies made.

Anything else?

Neil

And is this a bad thing?

You might not have realize this back in those days, since you were playing with your toy Ewoks, but Transformers were very cool to have.

Have you completely missed what you were debating? I never said it was bad, I said what everyone was saying was wrong. This isn't based off of the cartoon and neither was the 1986 movie. It's based off of the toy line.

And I had Transformers as a kid. Do you think the one that looked like a non-functioning Walkman will be in the movie?

Neil

i liked it a lot, tho the one thing that did irk me is that we didnt actually get a prolonged focused megatron vs optimus battle.

its this decade's (or semi decade's) Independence Day for sure. one question tho, with action already this huge, how will the sequel top it?

If Superman Returns gets a sequel, why not Transformers?

They may be both abysmal, but at least one of them isn't pretentious. And I'm not talking about Superman Returns.

the potential sequel.

Oh, for f*ck's sake.

It's a near guarantee there will be a sequel. At least according to how they made the ending.

Ebert liked it. It must be bad.

Morlock- who often loves Ebert, but has learned that he simply cannot be trusted about big dumb summer movies. Not since Van Helsing and Tomb Raider:2.

Van Helsing was pretty good. I love the soundtrack. (even though Silvestri did rip a bit from "O Fortuna")

Haven't seen any of the Tomb Raider movies though.

Just saw Transformers and LOVED it! I counted 15 helicopters, more than a dozen airplanes, and several sunset-silhouette shots... definitely a Michael Bay film. And I loved that the Air Force got a ringing endorsement as the heroes - I'm already enlisting this Friday!

Morlock- who often loves Ebert, but has learned that he simply cannot be trusted about big dumb summer movies. Not since Van Helsing and Tomb Raider:2.

Wow, I didnt know he was already back. When did he return?

Van Helsing was pretty fun, but I think Ebert was too smitten with Angelina Jolie to think straight in both his reviews of the Tomb Raider movies.

Van Helsing was pretty good. I love the soundtrack. (even though Silvestri did rip a bit from "O Fortuna")

I thought it was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen. I am fond of the score, though.

Wow, I didnt know he was already back. When did he return?

A few weeks ago, sporadically reviewing the bigger releases.

I downloaded the movie since I have no fundage right now at all to see a movie in theaters. Anyways I for one throughly enjoyed the film. I only wished that Megatron and Starscream had more screen time but I guess with the potential sequel Starscream may get more screen time. I'm also glad that Optimus Prime pretty much owned the film. I for one will be buying this on DVD for sure.

At the very least, the special effects in TRANSFORMERS were utterly amazing and totally convincing. If this doesn't get an Oscar for f/x....