I saw Transformers tonight

Eric_JWFAN

Talk about a pleasant surprise! This is easily the best action movie I've seen in years, no kidding. I was completely blown away and I cannot wait for the sequel.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And.... the score? How was it?

This is embarrassing, but I don't have too much to say about the score because the film just completely took my focus away from the opening moments. I will have to see it again for score purposes. I can say this though, the sound design was overwhelmingly intense. I feel like I need a day to recover from it.

BTW, how did you see it so soon? Are you like a film reviewer, or is it online already? (and if the latter, could you PM me the link? ;))

BTW, how did you see it so soon? Are you like a film reviewer, or is it online already? (and if the latter, could you PM me the link? ;))

My dad's an agent and gets invited to most of the South Florida screenings and every now and then he'll give the pass to me if he can't attend. Tonight was sort of by accident though. I was supposed to see the new Robin Williams movie but at the last minute he was told about a special screening of Transformers being put on by General Motors, so I went to that instead.

Why would anyone watch a special effects extravaganza from a pirated copy on a PC monitor?

I would. Then I'd see it again when it's legitimately released.

My dad's an agent and gets invited to most of the South Florida screenings and every now and then he'll give the pass to me if he can't attend. Tonight was sort of by accident though. I was supposed to see the new Robin Williams movie but at the last minute he was told about a special screening of Transformers being put on by General Motors, so I went to that instead.

Rats. Oh well. lol

I good good news for you, Eric! Michael Bay, the director, has made many other action movies before this one. That's right, more good times await you!

Well, I hope I agree with your sentiments about the film, Eric. I'm sure I'll be slinking into some theater to see it eventually. The effects look top-notch from what little I've seen, but the last few years have demonstrated how eye candy is a wonderful substitute for...you know, actual plot and characters with dimension and whatnot. ;) Anyway, I'm thinking optimistically about this one...

It's been a long time since I've seen TV spots and say to myself...that shit looks really cool! I look forward to seeing it

Well, I hope I agree with your sentiments about the film, Eric. I'm sure I'll be slinking into some theater to see it eventually. The effects look top-notch from what little I've seen, but the last few years have demonstrated how eye candy is a wonderful substitute for...you know, actual plot and characters with dimension and whatnot. ;) Anyway, I'm thinking optimistically about this one...

all we need from a transformers movie is big robots beating the hell out of each other and lots of shit being blown up. Bay qualifies perfectly.

Exactly. It's a movie of giant transforming robots smashing things. You'd have to be pretty daft to expect an actual plot in this thing.

There's a difference between expecting a plot and hoping for one. But whatever...I've been called worse than daft.

I good good news for you, Eric! Michael Bay, the director, has made many other action movies before this one. That's right, more good times await you!

Pretty hypocritical, from a person who complains about people wanting steak every meal. What's wrong with having some good old Sloppy Joe's every once in a while?

Morlock- not a defender of Bay or this movie (it doesn't look very good), but thinks variety is quite critical

That doesn't mean "variety" has to include Bay. My taste is diverse enough without him.

Alex

And believe me, I've ordered Bay a few times. It would be hypocritical of me if I didn't.

Okay then. But, then again.....his movies give you enough fodder for years, so you might actually gain pleasrue from tearing in to a festering insulting piece of crap movie. No, Bay movie are generally too bad to be concidered below the bar. They're in their own category.

His worst films rise below stupidity.

I've thoroughly enjoyed a lot of Bay films. Sure, they're not too plot heavy, but they're great action flicks.

Plot heavy movies are cool too, but you need variety. Watching only the same type of movie all the time would get boring after a while. Sometimes you just want to sit down and watch stuff blow up.

I'm looking forward to this, just to see some jaw dropping effects. I'd probably be more excited if Bay wasn't directing, since he does not have a very good track record.

Exactly. It's a movie of giant transforming robots smashing things. You'd have to be pretty daft to expect an actual plot in this thing.

There's a plot in the 1986 film. I still get emotional watching it.

And there's a plot in the cartoon episodes that probably inspired this movie. Having seen just about every Michael Bay movie made, I don't expect a plot, unless it's about some stupid male hunk who gets his nose broken and gets the girl, right before things get blown up and he's mistaken for dead, at which point the lead female will get it on with his best friend before more stuff gets blown up while the only black guy in the film gets two lines.

Look, I'm such a big Transformers fan that I want this to be good. But whenever I sit my ass down to watch this, I won't be expecting much more than loud noises. I mean, in the commercial, Bumblebee has a depp rumbling voice. What happened to the Bumblebee that was essentially the kid in the Autobot clan?

Oh well.

Summer 1987, I saw this film when I was on vacation in San Francisco for 2 months.

I felt sad, angry and betrayed when they killed of Optimus Prime.

The only time I felt as bad was some 15 years later when my cat died.

This is NOT the cartoon - anyone who is expecting the film to resemble the cartoon in ANY way is only kidding themselves. Or maybe you've missed all of the remakes in the past 10 years......

:folder:

I expect, uh, giant robots and explosions. With Bay directing, that's likely all I'm gonna' get.

This is NOT the cartoon - anyone who is expecting the film to resemble the cartoon in ANY way is only kidding themselves.

It has the same Transformers as the cartoon, Optimus Prime is voiced by the same actor as in the cartoon. It even has Spike, so if it's going to be compared to anything, it has to be the cartoon, not any of the later incarnations.

Also, I really don't like your tone!

Summer 1987, I saw this film when I was on vacation in San Francisco for 2 months.

I felt sad, angry and betrayed when they killed of Optimus Prime.

The only time I felt as bad was some 15 years later when my cat died.

For fifteen years, no one you were close with died?

You don't have to completely change things when you do a remake. Sure you can update but the goal should be to keep the original spirit of what made it work in the first place.

So... watch the exact same story in different graphics? I'd prefer to just have a new story. Keep the main characters, and the basic idea, but don't just copy the original.

You definitely cannot judge this movie before seeing it. I've never been a Bay fan, but this one was a huge surprise. This is a groundbreaking achievement and a must see.

It has the same Transformers as the cartoon, Optimus Prime is voiced by the same actor as in the cartoon. It even has Spike, so if it's going to be compared to anything, it has to be the cartoon, not any of the later incarnations.

I just can't wait for the bitching to start - "The cartoon was so much better!" I'm tired of hearing everyone say they hope it's like the cartoon. Cartoons and films are different mediums. If you go into it expecting the cartoon, you will be disappointed. And one of my pet peeves is when people complain about movies because they didn't meet the preconceived notions that they had in their heads before they saw the movie.

For example, I work at a Best Buy, and I can't tell you how many times I hear people come in and bitch and moan that the Miami Vice remake either:

1. Wasn't as good as Bad Boys 2 (the trailer has boats, planes, helicopters)

2. Didn't have enough action (it's a Michael Mann movie, most are 90% drama)

3. Wasn't like the original TV show (it's "Miami Vice" in name only)

I can just see the same thing happening to Transformers.

Alright, I just tracked down and watched the cartoon for the first time. I must say, I am not at all impressed. The graphics were cool, but that's about it. The voice acting was horribly corny. The soundtrack was disgusting. (about the only good thing in it was the Weird Al song, and it's not one of his best)

And plot? Are you kidding me? That had hardly any plot. It was just big robots smashing the snot out of each other for an hour and a half.

Now don't get me wrong. Despite all that, it was still relatively enjoyable to watch. But I could not possibly imagine this new movie not being better in all those areas (especially plot) than that cartoon.

I've thoroughly enjoyed a lot of Bay films. Sure, they're not too plot heavy, but they're great action flicks.

Plot heavy movies are cool too, but you need variety. Watching only the same type of movie all the time would get boring after a while. Sometimes you just want to sit down and watch stuff blow up.

I think the ponit is there are not many if any plot heavy movies at this time of year.

And plot? Are you kidding me? That had hardly any plot. It was just big robots smashing the snot out of each other for an hour and a half.

And a lot of tips of the hat to "Star Wars." Watch it again. Then tell it had no plot.

Steef, I remember being 12 years old watching "Transformers" in the theater. I wasn't the only kid crying when Optimus Prime

Look, I'm not bashing the new movie, since I haven't seen it. It just isn't appealing to the kid in me.

Steef, I remember being 12 years old watching "Transformers" in the theater. I wasn't the only kid crying when Optimus Prime

That death scene defies logic and common sense.

Yes it is. Steef, please don't take me to say that the movie is bad, I'm not, in fact I really like it. It just doesn't make sense to analyze it too closely.