I saw Transformers tonight

Eric_JWFAN

Then again, you seem to be capable of enjoying quite a lot.

Speaks the guy that can sit down through Blade Runner :blink:

;)

I could sit down through Blade Runner again instead of seeing this one.Easily.With love.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? When Transformers is an amazing film (and I'm not even a fan of the cartoon show or any of the toys)

I thouroughly enjoyed Transformers. It was a great action movie, and its main attraction, the special effects, were indeed spectacular. That, after all, is pretty much the point of the movie: the CG Transformer characters. I enjoyed the rest of the characters, too: LaBeouf as the average Joe teen; Megan Fox... :D ...enough said. Also, John Turturro was wonderful as the "sector seven" agent; I was very excited to see him, as I didn't know he was in this. The mom was also funny and frumpy.

The score was, predictably, generic and fairly uninteresting, though it suited the film just fine. The only thing I specifically didn't like was the abruptness with which the soundtrack jumped from score to rock songs, although I thought the Linkin Park song that ended the movie was fine. Anyways, it was a movie that completed its objective: over-the-top action and brilliant effects. It didn't need anything more. A-

~Sturgis, who didn't notice too much annoying Michael Bay editing and liked the use of slow motion to showcase the effects

Then again, you seem to be capable of enjoying quite a lot.

Speaks the guy that can sit down through Blade Runner :D

;)

I could sit down through Blade Runner again instead of seeing this one.Easily.With love.

Don't worry, most kids would fall asleep with Blade Runner. They just do not have the tools yet to comprehend it all. And some of them never will. If I had to entertain a bunch of children with a movie, I would serve them Tomb Raider 2 or Return Of The Jedi. Transformers also sounds like a good babysitter.

Alex

I would never show a kid Tomb Raider or it's sequel. It could damage their perception of what a good "B" film is. Even my kids thought the first Tomb Raider sucked and didn't een bother with the sequel.

Transformers is entertaining, but its not a good movie. Its so full of holes that a tractor trailer could drive through it.

I saw Transformers yesterday. I thought it was pretty sweet. The graphics were insane! (Not that I was worried about that part) But the plot was pretty good too. There was a lot more involved there than the original cartoon. I liked too how they explained or changed the most obvious errors that the cartoon version contained. Made it seem a lot more possible. The score? Well, I'll post about that in the thread for the score.

A Michael Bay film can only be good if it is entirely unpretentious.

That's why Bad Ways is good, and The Rock.

Bay thinking he's making a serious movie, or a movie that in anyway deals with serious issues is a recipe for disaster.

Pearl Harbor was awesome?

It was pretty good. But you can't expect ALL of any persons movies to be great. But Armageddon, The Rock, The Island, and Transformers were definitely awesome.

Pearl Harbor was awesome?

It was pretty good. But you can't expect ALL of any persons movies to be great. But Armageddon, The Rock, The Island, and Transformers were definitely awesome.

You're 16, right?

Neil

So what?

so what there was no plot, or what there is was so thin, it was basically put in place to blow stuff up.

gullwings may someday learn that Bay makes bad movies, but bad movies can be entertaining.

Transformers is a nearly bad movie. It escapes because Shia Lebouf(sp?) has fun.

The movie makes no sense at all, but who cares because they blow stuff up so well, and thats a better reason than many films have.

hey gullwings Armageddon is awesome....awesomely bad. Its among the worst big budgeted films ever.

The editing is atrocitious. The acting is weak. There isn't much plot, gosh sounds like tranformers.

the difference is Transformers takes eye candy to a new level. Its the first movie in several years where the movie doesnt have just visual effects, it has SPECIAL effects.

What do you want from a movie geared to litte kids? :)

An intricate adult soap opera?

For a person who hails Star Wars as the most amazing achievement in Cinema, you sure look for a lot of depth in your movies.

[Cue the oldies to start arguing how Mark Hamill is an amazing actor in comparison to Shia what's his name , etc. etc.]

*Shakes head* Cinematic puritans.

Star Wars as the most amazing achievement in Cinema

Well, that one probably is pretty close to being true. I would pretty much agree there. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy less complicated movies as well.

But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy less complicated movies as well.

Star Wars complicated? Ohhh yes. That Darth Vader fellow...verrry complicated. I was questioning his role as evil villain every second of Star Wars. So three-dimensional.

Not to demerit the achievements of the film at the time, just showing how a simplistic tale can be hailed as amazing by its contemporaries.

Meh, whatever. I'm not one to let other's opinions affect my own.

some of what I said isn't opinion, some are facts, Armageddon is a bad movie, FACT.

Meh, whatever. I'm not one to let other's opinions affect my own.

some of what I said isn't opinion, some are facts, Armageddon is a bad movie, FACT.

True.

Right down to helicopters flying in the background of every speech scene.  

What do you want from a movie geared to litte kids? :)

An intricate adult soap opera?

For a person who hails Star Wars as the most amazing achievement in Cinema, you sure look for a lot of depth in your movies.

[Cue the oldies to start arguing how Mark Hamill is an amazing actor in comparison to Shia what's his name , etc. etc.]

*Shakes head* Cinematic puritans.

were you talking to me???

do I hail Star Wars as the most amazing achievement in cinema, I don't recall doing that. I said it changed the way I viewed movies. I doubt anyone is going to argue Mark Hamill in favor of Shia Lebouf, but it must be said that Mark made a niche as Luke Skywalker. I don't think that Shia's Transformers film character's name will become a part of the pop lexicon like Luke Skywalker did! Shia is a hot commodity, and a very good actor, much more skilled that Hamill, but as yet has had a character as memorable as Luke Skywalker.

It still all makes perfect sense. You're the target demographic. It all changes when you hit 25.

Neil

Haha, wow, I hope you're not trying to be 100% serious when you say that, because that's complete and utter BS based on... well, not much. I know plenty of people over 25 who loved Armageddon when it came out and still enjoy it now. When it came out, I distinctly remember the wide age range of people in the theater, and I saw it several times. My dad makes it a point to see movies like POTC, Transformers, and Live Free or Die Hard, and he's over 50. The notion that adults only see films that are intellectual and thought-provoking is just stupid.

It's easy to label something as juvenile when you don't like it - it makes you appear 'above' it.

Yeah I think I was 18 when I saw it in theaters...and realized it's crap. :)

It actually has nothing to do with it being 'good' or not. "Good" is just an opinion.

To a degree yes, but to make such a broad absolute carpet statement is also juvenile; if the world were ending and you could only save one book of the following which would you pick?

The complete works of Shakespeare.

or

Your local telephone book.

A Michael Bay film can only be good if it is entirely unpretentious.

That's why Bad Ways is good, and The Rock.

Bay thinking he's making a serious movie, or a movie that in anyway deals with serious issues is a recipe for disaster.

So it is all he's capable of.

I wouldn't mind Bay as much if he was a much more humble person. As in, he admitted to making some dumb, crappy movies (not that I think he hasn't made a single good film).

Yeah I think I was 18 when I saw it in theaters...and realized it's crap. :)
It actually has nothing to do with it being 'good' or not. "Good" is just an opinion.

To a degree yes, but to make such a broad absolute carpet statement is also juvenile; if the world were ending and you could only save one book of the following which would you pick?

The complete works of Shakespeare.

or

Your local telephone book.

neither, I'd want a book on survival.

A Michael Bay movie isn't the same without Ben Affleck. Bring back Mrs Lopez to the fold. Next.

A Michael Bay movie isn't the same without Ben Affleck. Bring back Mrs Lopez to the fold. Next.

Armageddon

Pearl Harbor

vs

Bad Boys 1 & 2

The Rock

The Island

You're absolutely right!

Michael Bay-Ben Affleck=Good

Yes they become even worse with his boring bland acting.

Ben Affleck can be a good actor. Can being the operative word.

But not with Michael Bay.

Argh you guys arguing is like being back in preschool again.

Anyway I'm still in awe. I've never seen the Transformers cartoon so I figured I would be totally lost, I wasn't. It was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! Definitely one of the top movies of the summer. When Optimus Prime *SPOILER* went all noble and heroic and (I thought) was going to die my friend and I were rocking in our seats pulling a darth vader screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!'.

There will DEFINITELY be a sequel, Optimus Prime's speech at the end where he is calling all Autobots screams that there are other Decipticons (sp) who are going to hear the message and once again try to take over the universe. Or Bay can go totally clique and bring Megatron back.

I'm guessing that 1992 is your year of birth. By my calculations, that makes you 14 or 15. You're in the target demographic. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Neil