How much is too far for a John Williams fan?

ChuckM

All of us can sometimes be a little extreme with our enthusiasm of John Williams, but how much would you consider just a little too much? Maybe naming your first son "John William [YOURLASTNAME]"? Or maybe using "The Throne Room" as your Wedding processional? Maybe having plastic surgery done on your face to look like him? Or would those all be perfectly acceptable to you? (Has anyone done them? :P ) What other things would you consider too extreme?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe having plastic surgery done on your face to look like him?

OK, this one is really over the top, I imagine one'd have to be quite mad to do it. :P On the other hand, The Throne Room as a wedding processional seems like a great (not that eccentric really) idea and maybe I'll even use it on my own wedding! :P

i think the throne room was used in some member's wedding. Great choice :P

And well... miguel's sons are called 'john' and 'William' in portuguese.

I see more fandom in our memer's T-Shirts for Ubeda.

But they are cool too :P

We tried to use the Throne Room cue for our wedding but everyone in the wedding party kept laughing whenever it started to play.

None of us could keep a straight face.

I used "The Throne Room" for our introduction at my wedding reception, it's quite suitable and many people recognized it and loved it. My wife and I also have the name of our first boy picked out, and his middle name will be Towner. Neither of us like the name John or William, so they were never even up for consideration.

When you perform a seppuku after John retires/passes away.

I think playing "Throne Room" at my wedding would be a little too far. But at my funeral . . . :P

Too far? How 'bout an adult woman who kills Maestro Williams, leaves his body sitting in a chair in the top story of an old house, builds a motel down below, and occasionally dresses up in a balding wig and turtleneck so she can venture down to the hotel and stab guests in the shower with a sharpened conductor's baton?

I think playing "Throne Room" at my wedding would be a little too far. But at my funeral . . . :P

Brilliant. Must remember that for when I die. For my wedding I was actually thinking of "For Always" or something of the like.

We had to do a wedding and death project for Spanish and when I was reading off my wedding songs and funeral pieces no one knew any of my piece because 9/10 of them were John williams.

To me, almost all of these things seem excessive. It's fine for everyone who feels otherwise, but personally, there are numerous relatives I would name my children after before Williams. And anything by Williams at a wedding would probably sound quite silly, as evidenced by Mark's post. I'm all for the traditional in that regard. And I think Williams would probably find some of these things quite disturbing!

Ray Barnsbury

I would rather Hymn to the Fallen for a funeral.

Yeah, "Throne Room" would be too cheery. If I seriously wanted Williams at my funeral (which I don't), I'd probably choose the choral passage in "Farewell Neverland" from Hook. It's mournful in a way, but it is also warm.

I'm not against using music you like in your wedding or something. I used the Orchestral Suite from the Inner Light in mine.

If it says something about you, and if it's good music then knock yourself out. What's the horror in it?

I told my mom if my future husband did not agree to For Always I wouldnt marry him.

That's the horror in it.

"Towner" is definitely in the running for one of my future kids' middle names.

It's not nearly as extreme as the situation with my wife's side of the family, who originate from Pennsylvania and are hardcore Steelers fans. Let's just say that my son's middle name is "Steele."

I wanted to use the Throne Room as the bridal entrance, but no, we had to go for the traditional Mendelshon...

As for my kids, João is named after my grandfather, and Guilhereme was picked by his mother -- I wanted to call him Jorge (George).

Of course, I'm still waiting for Romão to enter the discussion and point out about my noumerous black turtlenecks and brown pants, and beard cut and so on...

Of course, I'm still waiting for Romão to enter the discussion and point out about my noumerous black turtlenecks and brown pants, and beard cut and so on...

You're actually the man in your avatar, aren't you?

I never listened to that.

I was going to find some way to fit Williams music into my wedding.

Besides every other song I wanted for our first dance had a history with other women.

When you perform a seppuku after John retires/passes away.

I thought that was going to be an instrument. ;)

Quite a messy way to die, not to mention very painful.

How about birthday cards that play JW music? ;)

They exist, they do, as 2 certain JWFans found out this week. :)

I saw cards like those in Hallmark, they had some for Harry Potter, Star Wars, ET, Jaws, and Indiana Jones. They're pretty cool. However, what I found ironic was there was an OotP card and it played music by Williams.

In answer to the thread's question: 'The Who's Sexier' thread says it all. Sure, it was made in jest (notwithstanding genuine interest by that thread's poster), but shit like that is beyond my fandom.

Before I got the interweb I thought I was huge fan of JW - an outsider amongst pop loving friends and family. Then I got connected. Suddenly I realised I was a mere ripple in the pond. I soon realised there existed a bunch of geeks, in their thousands, who chose to take their fandom to the next level via boards like this.

I know my John Williams shit, but in comparison to the die-hards my JW tastes utterly conform to the rest of that pop rabble.

No wonder JW himself doesn't post here personally :mellow: