I'll be happy if IV....

Quintus

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't expect another Belly of the Steel Beast. I kind of categorize it with Battle in the Snow (ESB) as that slow, heavy, heavy type of sh#t that just really can't be topped. I think "The Arena" (AOTC) approached it, but JW really doesn't go that route so much these days.

BTW I'm getting excited for IV!

Crusade is the best Indy score. If the score (or film) is as good as it, then Spielberg and co. will have done their job and more.

Films:

1. Raiders

2. Last Crusade

3. Temple of Doom

Scores:

1. Last Crusade

2. Raiders

3. Temple of Doom

(And yes, that is a change, I used to have ToD over Raiders)

I would be stunned beyond all belief if the new one so much as cracks the top 3 in either, but that's a very high standard. I still expect an excellent score and am slowly getting more optimistic about the film.

Give me another Belly Of The Steel Beast and I'm a happy guy.

Optimism is a GOOD thing!

(Mod boy move this thread away...!)

then way are you setting your expectations so low? thats a mediocre track compared to Desert Chase and the Mine Car

Films:

1. Raiders

2. Last Crusade

3. Temple of Doom

Scores:

1. Last Crusade

2. Raiders

3. Temple of Doom

I would be stunned beyond all belief if the new one so much as cracks the top 3 in either, but that's a very high standard. I still expect an excellent score and am slowly getting more optimistic about the film.

Films:

1. TIE: Raiders and Crusade (If anything, I'd say Crusade is better)

2. Temple of Doom

Score:

1. Last Crusade

2. RAiders

3. ToD

Crusade is by far the best score. It is probably my second or third favorite score, behind only PoA and JP. The best cue is Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra and Indy's VEry First Adventure.

Films:

1. Raiders

2. Last Crusade

3. Temple of Doom

Scores:

1. Last Crusade

2. Raiders

3. Temple of Doom

Films:

2. Temple of Doom

Score:

1. Last Crusade

2. RAiders

3. ToD

Crusade is by far the best score. It is probably my second or third favorite score, behind only PoA and JP. The best cue is Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra and Indy's VEry First Adventure.

crusade better than Raiders, you have no taste what so f***** ever.

obviously your a sucker for a lowbrow cheap laugh.

Films:

1. Raiders

2. Last Crusade

3. Temple of Doom

Scores:

1. Last Crusade

2. Raiders

3. Temple of Doom

Films:

2. Temple of Doom

Score:

1. Last Crusade

2. RAiders

3. ToD

I'm sorry, but Crusade is better than Raiders. It's just a fact of life.

Does for me. The motorcycle chase is incredibly thrilling.

Aren't you the one who insists that Porky's is a classic?

Last Crusade doesn't take itself seriously enough to build up any real thrills.

This may have to do with its close relation to Raiders. It relies on the original's seriousness and then experiments with the style/characters. That may be lame as a stand-alone film, but it isn't that.

In its genre Porky's is indeed a classic!

However, for shits and giggles here's my order:

Film:

Raiders 100% (the perfect action adventure film)

Temple of Doom 88% (great fun, a little too minimalist visually, could have done with a bit more exterior/daylight)

Last Crusade 85% (excellent fun but feels a little too much like a collection of setpieces cobbled together)

Score:

Raiders 100% (Great use of thematic, atmospheric, and action music)

Temple of Doom/Last Crusade 95% (Two excellent but very different scores. Temple of Doom's spectacular incidental music and Last Crusade's collection of excellent themes. Each score perfectly reflects the style of its respective movie)

Last Crusade doesn't take itself seriously enough to build up any real thrills.

That's right. It's so light and happy go lucky. As a comedic adventure, it's good, but as a thriller with real danger and urgency, it fails (though I do like the scenes inside the temple of the Grail).

crusade better than Raiders, you have no taste what so f***** ever.obviously your a sucker for a lowbrow cheap laugh.
not at all, you have me confused with someone else.
Films:1. Raiders2. Last Crusade3. Temple of DoomScores:1. Last Crusade2. Raiders3. Temple of Doom(And yes, that is a change, I used to have ToD over Raiders)I would be stunned beyond all belief if the new one so much as cracks the top 3 in either, but that's a very high standard. I still expect an excellent score and am slowly getting more optimistic about the film.
Films:1. TIE: Raiders and Crusade (If anything, I'd say Crusade is better)2. Temple of DoomScore:1. Last Crusade2. RAiders3. ToDCrusade is by far the best score. It is probably my second or third favorite score, behind only PoA and JP. The best cue is Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra and Indy's VEry First Adventure.
crusade better than Raiders, you have no taste what so f***** ever.obviously your a sucker for a lowbrow cheap laugh.
only for someone like you with no taste

I don't have a favourite movie/score. Each of them have its own great aspect(s).

Very different aspects, which make them very different movies that has everything, every good aspect you can think of, you can find it in the Indiana Jones trilogy.

Every score has too many good themes to me to choose an absolute favourite, so I may have a favourite one that changes from time to time.

I bet many people have Raiders as the favourite movie because it was the first, and 99% of the times the first movie in a saga is the strongest one, the one that remains the most in people's minds (just think about Jaws or Star Wars, or even Superman: The Movie, just to mention JW-only works...)

If ToD or LC were the first instead of Raiders, many people would have different feelings.

Films:

1. Raiders

2. Last Crusade

3. Temple of Doom

Scores:

1. Last Crusade

2. Raiders

3. Temple of Doom

Same here. I'm hoping for a lot of action scherzos, a style that Williams didn't have much opportunity to for some time (arguably in the HP scores). Escape from Venice is brilliant, as are Fast streets of Shanghai and the Basket Chase. I personally don't care a lot about heavy action tracks like Belly of the Steal Beast, i prefer the lighter sound.

not at all, you have me confused with someone else.
Films:1. Raiders2. Last Crusade3. Temple of DoomScores:1. Last Crusade2. Raiders3. Temple of Doom(And yes, that is a change, I used to have ToD over Raiders)I would be stunned beyond all belief if the new one so much as cracks the top 3 in either, but that's a very high standard. I still expect an excellent score and am slowly getting more optimistic about the film.
Films:1. TIE: Raiders and Crusade (If anything, I'd say Crusade is better)2. Temple of DoomScore:1. Last Crusade2. RAiders3. ToDCrusade is by far the best score. It is probably my second or third favorite score, behind only PoA and JP. The best cue is Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra and Indy's VEry First Adventure.
only for someone like you with no taste

Raiders is a great score. It's bests are To Cairo, Map Room: Dawn, Raiders March, and the End Credits.

Crusade is the PERFECT score. It's bests include but are not limited to: Indy's Very First Adventure, Sherzo for Motorcycle and Ochestra, Escape from Venice, Belly of the Steel Beast, Keeping up the Jonses, No Ticket, End Credits, and more.

In the end--both great scores, but Crusade is vastly dominant.

Certainly not. Really, none of the Indy scores are vastly dominant. They're all so good, but in different ways, that I find it difficult to truly pick a best. But, am I to understand, indy4, that in your opinion, "Flight From Peru," "The Basket Game," "Airplane Fight," "Desert Chase," "The German Sub/To the Nazi Hideout," and "Miracle of the Ark" aren't among the best on Raiders?

The Ark Theme alone, in all its mystic and awe-inspiring interpretations, is just about enough to elevate Raiders above the rest. Seriously, who comes up with a theme like that?! But I really don't know any of the scores as well as I should. Good, now I have a project for the rest of the week!

Ray Barnsbury

Er...did you mean the Ark Theme is enough to elevate Raiders, or the Grail Theme is enough to elevate Last Crusade?

At any rate, I'd say there are many worse projects to undertake than familiarizing with the Indy scores. :blink:

Certainly not. Really, none of the Indy scores are vastly dominant. They're all so good, but in different ways, that I find it difficult to truly pick a best. But, am I to understand, indy4, that in your opinion, "Flight From Peru," "The Basket Game," "Airplane Fight," "Desert Chase," "The German Sub/To the Nazi Hideout," and "Miracle of the Ark" aren't among the best on Raiders?

Certainly not. I was just listing the best of the best of the best (IMO) I like many more from Raiders (including all of the ones listed above), as well as Crusade.

Anything to do with the Ark theme are my favorite parts of Raiders (The Map Room, Ark Trek, The Opening of the Ark), and possibly my favorite moments in all of Indy. But I enjoy LC as a whole score more.

That's right, John. Raiders score is powerful mostly because of one strong theme (The Ark theme), while LC doesn't have a so-predominant theme, but still feature a lot of themes that combined together makes a wonderful listening experience.

Certainly not. I was just listing the to best of the best (IMO) I like many more from Raiders (including all of the ones listed above), as well as Crusade.

This should interest you, though I don't really understand its relevence to the Raiders score :blink:

That's right, John. Raiders score is powerful mostly because of one strong theme (The Ark theme), while LC doesn't have a so-predominant theme, but still feature a lot of themes that combined together makes a wonderful listening experience.

the grail theme is as memorable...

I feel sorry for the fools here who think that either followup is superior to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

there is something special about that film, and that score.

Neither followup can even touch it.

To even suggest that they do, is assinine.

TOD is a phenomenal score on its own, nearly rivaling Raiders but not quite, while Least Crusade is merely John painting by numbers. Uninspired except for the grail theme.

There is an order and its 1,2,3, which is the natural order of things.

but it goes beyond that. Raiders was an event where everything worked, the stars and planets alligned, the Gods looked down on the crew with favor, virgins sacrificed the volcanic gods, whatever, they all insured that Raiders of the Lost Ark would be something unique, something special.

Sadly too many here don't even begin to appreciate what a perfect event this film is.

Well Raiders was my all time fave film, before I saw Fotr 50 million times. I do appreciate what a perfectly crafted film Raiders is. But I can understand why some people prefer ToD or Crusade, even if I don't agree with them.

Each film has its own distinct flavour and that is partly what makes for a classic trilogy - it caters for everyone.

I won't arrogantly insult another persons taste if they like ToD more than I like Raiders because that would just make me sound like a bit of a dick.

And Dr. Jone's Theme.
I feel sorry for the fools here who think that either followup is superior to Raiders of the Lost Ark.there is something special about that film, and that score.Neither followup can even touch it.To even suggest that they do, is assinine. TOD is a phenomenal score on its own, nearly rivaling Raiders but not quite, while Least Crusade is merely John painting by numbers. Uninspired except for the grail theme.There is an order and its 1,2,3, which is the natural order of things.
WRONG!

It's memorable indeed, but not predominant like the Ark theme, which is featured in pretty much almost every key moment of Raiders.

The Grail theme is memorable and woderful, but not predominant and used a lot like the Ark theme. I actually think that the "Scherzo for motorcycle and orchestra" is used more, though I wouldn't call it a predominant them as well.

I feel sorry for the fools here who think that either followup is superior to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

there is something special about that film, and that score.

Neither followup can even touch it.

To even suggest that they do, is assinine.

TOD is a phenomenal score on its own, nearly rivaling Raiders but not quite, while Least Crusade is merely John painting by numbers. Uninspired except for the grail theme.

There is an order and its 1,2,3, which is the natural order of things.

but it goes beyond that. Raiders was an event where everything worked, the stars and planets alligned, the Gods looked down on the crew with favor, virgins sacrificed the volcanic gods, whatever, they all insured that Raiders of the Lost Ark would be something unique, something special.

Sadly too many here don't even begin to appreciate what a perfect event this film is.

Dang! If Last Crusade is uninspired, I would hope to be that uninspired whenever I write music!

Joey is right about this: You can't beat the Raiders , movie or the score , especially those together.

Movies :

1. Raiders

2. Last Crusade

3. ToD

Musically:

1. Raiders

2.ToD

3.Last Crusade

Not that LC is bad , it's ok (grail theme magnificent as Joey again rightly said) but

the other two are brilliant.

Raiders is the best film, Crusade is the best score.

Joe's post (or any of Joe's posts) contain no amount of truth despite what he says. Opinions are opinions, and Joe seems more content on pissing other people off than actually stating them.