"The Way of the Sword" - The Last Samurai

"Molossus" - Batman Begins

"The Kraken" - Dead Man's Chest

"I don't think now is the best time" - At World's End

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can name very few I like. While I enjoy a lot of Zimmer's music, I don't like most of his action writing. What I like are:

1) "I don't think now is the best time" form "PotC:AWE"

2) "To die for..." from "Lion King"

3) "Red Warior" from "Last Samurai"

4) "War" from "Pearl Harbor"

His use of the silence. That's where Hans Zimmer really excels. :P

Seriously, I love certain cues from Backdraft. Especially the cue that was used in The Lost World trailer.

"The Chase" - The Peacemaker

(not the crappy OST version, the full version)

"The Battle" - Gladiator

"Final Battle" - King Arthur

"Rescue" - Muppet Treasure Island

"Burn It All/You Go, We Go" - Backdraft

Plenty of Williams threads... evens it out a little.

I don't think they are evening the Zimmer threads out with Williams ones, on the Zimmer Fan board.

"Up Is Down" is really quite nice. Would that qualify? I like it better than "I Don't Think Now Is the Best Time". I wished the entire final battle music was similar to "Up Is Down".

here is my list.

Silence is the best cue of all.

In this case, certainly.

I used to like The Battle from Gladiator. But the last time I listened to it I had to stop halfway through, pop a couple of Advil, and sit in silence for a while. There may have even been a nap.

here is my list.

Silence is the best cue of all.

In this case, certainly.

I used to like The Battle from Gladiator. But the last time I listened to it I had to stop halfway through, pop a couple of Advil, and sit in silence for a while. There may have even been a nap.

Rabin's Armecrapdon gave me a headache once.

The Battle from Gladiator, one of The Rock cues, 'Molossos' from Batman Begins, 'Up is Down', 'Wheel of Fortune', 'The Kraken' from the PoTC scores, 'Release the Hounds' from The Simpsons. Not many others I even like.

"The Kraken" must be my least favourite one. That track sounds SO decidedly modern and un-piratey that it completely takes me out of the scene. It does work for the scene in a way, but the modern sound is beyond distracting: It is just plain horrible. That one track made me lose any real faith I might've had in Zimmer. Thankfully he redeemed himself somewhat with "Up Is Down", but then again came "I Don't Think Now Is the Best Time", which is a perfectly good action track, but NOT for a pirate movie. Especially not the first half of the track. The second half gets better and I find myself wishing it would continue and would get back to the level of "Up Is Down".

"The Kraken" must be my least favourite one. That track sounds SO decidedly modern and un-piratey that it completely takes me out of the scene. It does work for the scene in a way, but the modern sound is beyond distracting: It is just plain horrible.

This is my beef with those scores in general.

Most of the music for those movies I can appreciate and enjoy and some parts I really quite like, but then some parts are also really distracting. "The Kraken" being the most obvious and hate-worthy example for me. I find that the good of the PotC scores are pretty good, some parts are even excellent, but the bad is REALLY bad. In general: It is a very uneven effort, mixing the very good with the tremendously bad. I wished Hans Zimmer would have written scores for those films with a consitently good and APPROPRIATE quality, rather than a completely varying quality and appropriateness (is that even a word?). I KNOW he can do it. He - just - WON'T- DO - it. Which makes him THE most frustrating composer... ever.

"The Chase" - The Peacemaker

(not the crappy OST version, the full version)

"The Battle" - Gladiator

"Final Battle" - King Arthur

"Rescue" - Muppet Treasure Island

"Burn It All/You Go, We Go" - Backdraft

With the exception of King Arthur, this is precisey the list I would have chosen.

"The Kraken" must be my least favourite one. That track sounds SO decidedly modern and un-piratey that it completely takes me out of the scene. It does work for the scene in a way, but the modern sound is beyond distracting: It is just plain horrible.

This is my beef with those scores in general.

I hate almost all of the second score. I love (and I mean love) Jack Sparrow, and the first part of Davy Jones. I also find Wheel of Fortune to be somewhat fun. The rest of the score however, is both boring and completely unnecessary to me. Zimmer really bounced back for me with AWE.

"The Kraken" must be my least favourite one. That track sounds SO decidedly modern and un-piratey that it completely takes me out of the scene. It does work for the scene in a way, but the modern sound is beyond distracting: It is just plain horrible. That one track made me lose any real faith I might've had in Zimmer. Thankfully he redeemed himself somewhat with "Up Is Down", but then again came "I Don't Think Now Is the Best Time", which is a perfectly good action track, but NOT for a pirate movie. Especially not the first half of the track. The second half gets better and I find myself wishing it would continue and would get back to the level of "Up Is Down".

I like the Kraken theme a lot, it's just those renditions that take of the majority of the track that suck.

I'm not such a big fan of the theme, but I love the track. But I am also an occaisional Metallica fan. In the movie, the scene was boring enough anyway.

Here's my list in no particular order:

Burn It All, Backdraft

Molossus, Batman Begins

Synchrotone, Black Hawk Down

Too Many Notes - Not Enough Rests, Drop Zone

Jiggy's Last Jam, An Everlasting Piece (not necessarily action but it's great)

The Battle, Gladiator

Homecoming, Gladiator

Woad To Ruin, King Arthur

Red Warrior, The Last Samurai

The Final Charge, The Last Samurai

Bare Island, M:I-2 (although this is technically Klaus Badelt)

Rescue, Muppet Tresure Island

Chase, Peacemaker

Air Battle, Pearl Harbor

Up Is Down, At World's End

The Kraken, Dead Man's Chest

Chariot Race, The Prince Of Egypt

Rocket Away, The Rock

The Chase, The Rock (although this is technically Don Harper)

The Jablonsky Variations On A Theme By HZ/Cameroon Border Post, Tears Of The Sun

I hate almost all of the second score. I love (and I mean love) Jack Sparrow, and the first part of Davy Jones. I also find Wheel of Fortune to be somewhat fun. The rest of the score however, is both boring and completely unnecessary to me. Zimmer really bounced back for me with AWE.
Agreed. There really is not much of interest in the second score. Many, many boring tracks on the OST and even more boring music in the film. Really the guy was, I think, not very inspired when writing the music for that film. AWE is much better in that respect, but I don't think there's much interesting music in the film that is not on the OST. For DMC I would've liked to hear the "flying dress" scene without SFX.
I like the Kraken theme a lot, it's just those renditions that take of the majority of the track that suck.
Actually, the theme itself isn't all that bad. Unfortunately the modern digital "beat" thing in the background truly spoils anything that might've been good about it. I like the "dramatic" part of the track with the organ when the ship is slain in half. That part actually does work pretty well. But then that part doesn't have such a notable touch as the rest of the track. Really that modern touch is lethal for both the music and the film.

In no order:

1. I Don't Think Now Is The Best Time (AWE)

2. To Die For... (LK)

3. Wheel of Fortune (DMC)

4. Jack Sparrow (DMC)

5. Fructus Gravis (DVC)

You put them in order, so that's they way your list will be taken.

"Up is Down" is pretty good, I guess.

My favourite Zimmer action track of all time is

DRIVING from DRIVING MISS DAISY (1989)

:lol: Classic Hitch!

What ya mean "Classic"? That was bloody brilliant. :lol: