What is the last film you watched?

Mr. Breathmask

Finally saw the Dark Knight.

Well, we saw the first 20 minutes twice because the film just stopped completely near the end of the Joker's first scene with the mob guys, followed by 10 minutes of confusion, then restarted with an unknown number of minutes missed out. So we (and I think around half the audience) went into an adjacent showing that started 15 mins later.

Anyway, Ledger's performance was hyped for a good reason - this guy was a superb actor and I think a posthumous oscar nomination is coming. The film generally met my expectations, although I think those hyping it as the greatest film of al l time are going too far. Surprisingly, the music worked great, although the Joker's 'theme' is definitely more of a musical sound effect.

There were points where I thought the story was plodding along a little bit, and there was clearly a lot to tell, but the performances were great and the action sequences were magnificently staged. Lucas needs to go to the Nolan school of filmmaking as far as I'm concerned.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we saw the first 20 minutes twice because the film just stopped completely near the end of the Joker's first scene with the mob guys, followed by 10 minutes of confusion, then restarted with an unknown number of minutes missed out. So we (and I think around half the audience) went into an adjacent showing that started 15 mins later.

That sucks. Did you go to a low-rate theater?

Vanilla Sky is a pretty bad movie, from what I remember.

It's far from great but it has a lot of good and interesting things to it, and that don't involve big bad robots smashing everything up. It would be virtually impossible to even remotely like Vanilla Sky for someone who dwells with War Of The Worlds.

I like both of those movies a lot.

That sucks. Did you go to a low-rate theater?

No, it was a decent cinema. Apparently the film snapped/broke and they had to start it from the next reel, or something like that (Burnette will know more about this I'm sure). Turned out we only missed about 3 not very important minutes, but still.

Alex what is your obsession with me, I have left you alone, and yet you continue to attack me.

You pretend you're superior because you havent the balls to use a real insult, you closet yours, yet leave the door wide open for everyone to see. You're an elitist and a homophobe. You're so often full of s*** its amazing. Your ET/Wizard of Oz posts really dimished your hold on your "superior intelligence".

Perhaps you meant it as a comedy routine, I don't know, I hope so for your sake. Because it was the biggest pile of drivel I've read in awhile.

Be a man and just come after me, and leave my friends here alone.

Last night we watched Brokedown Palace, it was a decent movie well acted, and pleasantly shot. Call it Midnight Express Pink.

No, it was a decent cinema. Apparently the film snapped/broke and they had to start it from the next reel, or something like that (Burnette will know more about this I'm sure). Turned out we only missed about 3 not very important minutes, but still.

There are several things that could have been. It sounds like the tape that holds the reels together probably broke when the second reel began. Either that, or the tape wasn't put on very well and some of the sticky side was left exposed and caused two pieces of film to be stuck together -- that'll seize up a projector real good (although that tends to be a problem with brand-new prints more than with older prints).

Most likely, it was something like the latter. Problems like that can cause several minutes of the film to be damaged and have to be run through so that they can be repaired as best as possible, causing the people attending the current show to have to miss those minutes. There are ways around that if you know what you're doing, but a lot of projectionists are poorly (or barely) trained, and know only enough to get the film running again. Sometimes, they don't even know that much.

I'm not immune to having problems myself, by the way. During our midnight show of The Dark Knight, I had a problem that caused one of our prints of the movie to get started about twenty minutes late. We can run one print through multiple projectors in order to sell more seats (when that's necessary, which isn't often); the projectors can be synced up to start simultaneously, and when I started one of the prints, one of the projectors it was running through started, and the other didn't. I have no idea why. I had to fix the first trailer (which got partially chewed up), and then rethread the film through both projectors, which took awhile.

Digital cinema eliminates most problems of this nature. That's one reason why it's a good invention.

Running down to the end of the Wellington Film Festival

The Escapist

I was sold on the movie hearing it was a prison break movie with Brian Cox. They got a great cast, Joseph Fiennes, Seu Jorge, Damian Lewis(who is fantastic as a villain) who are great but I felt were under-utilized. I would've enjoyed a lot more time with these characters. Cox is solid as well, although not really doing anything new. As for the film itself, it's good. It had a structure that I wondered whether it was really necessary, but it worked in the end I think. I can't talk more about it otherwise I'd be spoiling it. Good score as well from somebody I'd never heard of.

I've never even heard of this. When's it from?

I watched War of the Worlds recently and liked it less than ever. What a ridiculous script. I hate Dakota Fanning's character. It's amazing how quickly she goes from a sage young woman to a completely helpess, screeching baby who willingly throws herself into danger. Robby wanting to run off to join the army during the big hill battle? It was just moronic. It seemed like Robby was trying to kill himself. A lot of smaller moments really rubbed me the wrong way. Tom Cruise just sitting doing nothing, then washing ashes from his face, then telling his kids that they have to leave. Tom Cruise and Miranda Otto flirting. Why? The beginning of the movie was supposed to establish what a loser Cruise is and that his marriage failed because of it. The CGI aliens were awful. There was nothing interesting about them at all, and they were really stupid not to find the protagonists in the basement.

And that's just a small percentage of what's wrong with this movie. Spielberg's worst after Jurassic Park 2! I'm glad that people slowly but surely start to see this.

Alex

Sorry to bust your bubble, but there are actually two lines of thought on the movie. There's the "it's crap" one, which has had nothing new to say since '05. But there's the 'it's a masterpiece' crowd is gaining ground, including a number of serious critics, like Bordwell, Emerson, and Mr. Pigeon.

The Escapist

I was sold on the movie hearing it was a prison break movie with Brian Cox. They got a great cast, Joseph Fiennes, Seu Jorge, Damian Lewis(who is fantastic as a villain) who are great but I felt were under-utilized. I would've enjoyed a lot more time with these characters. Cox is solid as well, although not really doing anything new. As for the film itself, it's good. It had a structure that I wondered whether it was really necessary, but it worked in the end I think. I can't talk more about it otherwise I'd be spoiling it. Good score as well from somebody I'd never heard of.

Here's the IMDB It came out in June in the UK, so pretty recent.

WotW a masterpiece? It doesn't suck at all, but what's with this film and the extremists- it's not that special. At all. Who cares what the "serious" critics think. I would enjoy reading a somewhat thorough essay that attempts to outline why the film should even vaguely be placed in such a lofty regard. Or, just hear from someone as to why people would view it as such. In a different regard, I'd also like to read one that outlines why it is some terrible film. It has mediocrity written all over it. WotW is a pretty good example of Spielgy on auto pilot though, and his ability to still rake in the big bucks. Munich comes far closer to deserving the title of masterpiece than WotW. And even that particular masterpiece would be a flawed one.

Saw In Bruges. Funny movie. Good script. The ending was "meh", but...

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

Watched as part of rewatching all the Star Wars movies with my girlfriend.

Good God, what a bore this was. It's so awfully static. Piss-poor directing.

:sleepy:

Yes, there's no momentum at all, very funny, actually.

At least the company was good.

Don't forget you've done Zimmer as well, must I remind you of Houston?

Thrust on me without warning, what choice did I have. Peer pressure is an ugly word....s.

War of the Worlds has its moments. The intersection scene all the way up to the ferry attack is pretty good stuff, and I like how the sense of isolation is played up. The closest it has to a true Spielbergian moment is when Cruise is trying to keep his son from joining the fight, the wide shot of the two of them arguing with the firing and explosions around them, along with Williams' cue, is magic. But then...the basement. That blasted basement, where the whole movie withers and dies quicker than a Martian with a cold.

There was a equivalent of Robbins character in the book, if I remember correctly. Talking about living underground and stuff. I liked the sequence, but after that it never gains the same momentum. It lacks something. And I'm not talking about the resolution itself. Even The Happening was more gripping emotionally wth this kind of ending (even if it was absurd).

I never understood all the hatred towards this movie. Sure, it's not perfect, but there are many great moments. The shot from escape scene is great example, so is the whole intersection segment. And the kid never bothered me. It must be Tom Cruise charm, I guess. Pity. I miss good old times when people hated bad films. You know, those that are really bad.

Karol

The scene in the basement is thrilling and exciting, I found myself on the edge of my seat. The photography is brilliant there, especially when Ogilvy picks up the axe. The lack of music is perfect, but I love the start of the Psycho-like music when you see Ray and Ogilvy wrestling with the gun...brilliant!

And we get some classic Spielberg gore when you see the tripod attacking the guy from the window in the basement.

I honestly don't see what's wrong with the basement scene, or the rest of the film for that matter.

yet you survived

Encounters at the End of the World

Morlock pretty much summed up my thoughts about it. Struck the right balance between the thought-provoking and the entertaining with the people being just as interesting as the things they're studying.

That is the definition of a homophobe, yes.

I find the term to describe a phobia of long words a bit ironic: Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

I also hope no one here is a Ithyphallophobe... Fear of seeing, thinking about or having an erect penis. :sleepy:

The Escapist

I watched War of the Worlds recently and liked it less than ever. What a ridiculous script. I hate Dakota Fanning's character. It's amazing how quickly she goes from a sage young woman to a completely helpess, screeching baby who willingly throws herself into danger. Robby wanting to run off to join the army during the big hill battle? It was just moronic. It seemed like Robby was trying to kill himself. A lot of smaller moments really rubbed me the wrong way. Tom Cruise just sitting doing nothing, then washing ashes from his face, then telling his kids that they have to leave. Tom Cruise and Miranda Otto flirting. Why? The beginning of the movie was supposed to establish what a loser Cruise is and that his marriage failed because of it. The CGI aliens were awful. There was nothing interesting about them at all, and they were really stupid not to find the protagonists in the basement.

And that's just a small percentage of what's wrong with this movie. Spielberg's worst after Jurassic Park 2! I'm glad that people slowly but surely start to see this.

Alex

Sorry to bust your bubble, but there are actually two lines of thought on the movie. There's the "it's crap" one, which has had nothing new to say since '05. But there's the 'it's a masterpiece' crowd is gaining ground, including a number of serious critics, like Bordwell, Emerson, and Mr. Pigeon.

Surely, not masterpiece. Nor do I believe critics are revising their opinion. The film was generally well reveived but I don't buy it that critics are adding stars to their original rating.

You're an elitist and a homophobe.

He has a fear of homosexuals?

Why would I have fear of homosexuals? That's so typical of Joey to throw his sexual proclivity into the battle. Several friends of mine are either gay or bi. Joey is just extremely eager to hear my apologies because I facetiously asked someone if he was gay after he wasn't impressed with Disturbia (and thus the yummie Sarah Roemer). I think Joey wants me to be a homophobe. It's his way of classifying people.

Alex

:blink:

You're a much braver soul than I am. I haven't watched the film sine I saw it opening weekend of 2002.

Watched Patton last night. A very fine performance by George C. Scott and Goldsmith's sparse score only appears when needed. The 2 hrs. and 50 minutes go by very quickly. One thing that did strike me was that some of the supporting acting was rather weak. But the way Scott commands the screen it doesn't subtract anything from the picture.

Karl Malden was good. I was waiting for him to take his American Express card out of his raincoat.

Watched the Mummy 3, its better than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

the effects were marvelous, I was quite surprised that they were as good as they were.

Ok, I'm probably the last person on this message board to see TDK. :)

I thought it was a very good film, much, much better than Batman Begins. But it's not the great masterpiece film alot of people make it out to be.

The film is a little too long, it should have ended 30 minutes earlier than it did. Harvey Dent's fate should have been left fot the third film and not shoehorned into this one. I felt the ferry sequence was un-neccessary and dragged the film out. It should have ended with the street chase or Harvey's "accident" and left his emotional turn for the third film.

Heath Ledger's Joker was fun and twisted, I'm not quite sure about the Oscar nod just yet. I thought the real star was Eckhart and his portrayel of Dent/Two Face. Gary Oldman was also great as Gordon.

Visually the film was great, The CGI and live action was blended to a point it didn't stick out at all, in fact if I didn't know any better I wouldn't believe any CGI was used, not counting Dent. The Hong Kong shots were beautiful to see as was Chicago filling in for Gotham.

I still don't feel Bale as Batman, but is was nice to see him do the detective work and I like the realistic setting that Nolan brought to the film.

The music....eh, still would have love to see JNH score it without Zimmer. It served its purpose and didn't get in the way of the movie. The s0-called Joker's theme really didn't do anything for his character, it just sounded like noise. I could generate that sound myself with a keyboard.

I will get this film on DVD, I like that it feels seperate from BB so I don't have to have that film nor does anyone really need to see it to enjoy TDK.

But it's still not the greatest Superhero film, Superman still has it beat. But it tops KOTCS by alot, it's not even close.

The Mummy: Tomb Of the Dragon Emperor (*/****)

Words cannot describe this monstrosity of poo. But it was free, so whatever.

The Dark Knight (****/****)

My friend and I walked out of Mummy disappointed, because it wasn't so bad that it was funny like 10,000 BC, it was just extremely bad. The next theater had The Dark Knight literally just starting, so we caught the end of the trailers and stuck around for about 30 minutes just to get the bad taste out of our mouths.

Finally saw the Dark Knight.

The film generally met my expectations, although I think those hyping it as the greatest film of al l time are going too far.

Its not even the greatest comic book adaptation of all time. Far from it in fact.

and the action sequences were magnificently staged. Lucas needs to go to the Nolan school of filmmaking as far as I'm concerned.

Actually, I thought the action sequences were pretty mediocre throughout. A slight improvement over the ones in Begins, but still ineptly handled and tepid for most part.

the action sequences were magnificently staged. Lucas needs to go to the Nolan school of filmmaking as far as I'm concerned.

What's wrong with the action in the Star Wars films?

I disagree.

The most tension filled one is the one between Obi and Darth.

The most physically intense battle in the SW saga is that between Maul, Gin, and Obi.

The most emotional is between Anakin and Obi.

Having said that, it doesn't necesarily mean that those two listed are my favorites.

The best action sequence in The Prequels is the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan duel with Darth Maul. Suspenseful, clear and controlled. What truly makes this scene are the closing energy doors seperating the duellists.

The Obi-Wan vs. Anakin duel is physically more intense but sadly bordering on Matrix 3 silliness. It's too fast, so choreographed (like a STOMP routine) that it looses its effect.

Alex

The best action sequence in The Prequels is the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan duel with Darth Maul. Suspenseful, clear and controlled. What truly makes this scene are the closing energy doors seperating the duellists.

Alex

That was a good, there was actual suspense there too.

Pity the rest was just brightly colored explosions

Batman

For decades, the definitive film about The Caped Crusader.

This time, Batman and Robin have to face not one, but four villians, the "clown prince of crime" The Joker (Cesar Romero), that "count of criminal conundrums" The Riddler (Frank Gorshin), that "pompous, waddling master of fowl play" The Penguin (Burgess Meredith), and the "fiendish feline" The Catwoman (Lee Meriwether), who joined forces in an insidious plot which, if succesfull will leave the whole word at ransom.

The legenday Batmobile is joined by the Bat-copter, the Bat-Boat and the Bat-Motorcycle-with-sidecart.

Adam West brings the full range of his talent and charisma to bear, portaying brilliantly both the suave Bruce Wayne, love-struck, with a Russian womwen that will break his heart, and The Batman, the Caped crime fighter, employing both physical strength and deductive reasoning to stop the fearsome foursome's plan to destabilize world peace.

It is no surprise that West was on the shortlist to succeed Sean Connery as James Bond.

Burt Ward's youthfull enthusiasm gives us an fantastic Robin, Every sentence he speaks ends with an exclamamation symbol!!!!

Brilliant

Romero, Gorshin and Meredith are all in top form playing their perspective roles from the TV show, and Lee Merriweather does a good job replacing the immortal Julie Newmar as Catwomen.

Solid direction by Leslie Martinson, with the scene were Batman tries to dispose of a bomb in a dock filled with nuns, mother's with babies, lovers in boats, ducks...

Not untill Superman III did slapstick like this return to comic book adaptations.

Brilliant, candy-cane art design and a propulsive score by Nelson iddle.

This is the other side of Batman, the not-so-Dark Knight.

While Nolan tries to bring the concept of Batman into reality, this film realises the silliness of it all.

One cannot admire Batman Begins and The Dark Knight without having at least a respectful

admiration for this incarnation of Batman.

**** out of ****