What is the last film you watched?

Mr. Breathmask

It certainly is - can't wait for the 4th season starting September 18th.

Great show, bested only by FOtC.

I'm looking forward to the second season of that as well, though as far as I know, it won't be until January. Got their album in the meantime, though, which is hilarious.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been watching TV shows all summer, I don't think I've watched a single movie on Blu/DVD.

Anyway, here's what I've been watching (maybe I should steal Marc's sig):

LOST Seasons 1-3

Home Movies Seasons 1-4

The Office Seasons 1-3

Entourage Seasons 1-3

I'm not sure which I'll watch next, maybe something short like Extras that will fill the time until Season 4 of The Office, Entourage, and LOST are released.

The Office Season 4 has already broadcasted. It's not on DVD yet, but I think they're showing so re-runs on NBC for now.

I know that, I was referring to the DVD's for all of those shows, which should be coming out soon.

I used to watch it A LOT, but my watch time has probably declined about 90% over the last year, mainly due to me moving out of my room for a few months, and then moving back in with the modem taking up the cable spot. I'm talking about actual TV though, I still watch shows on DVD.

However, with this decline, my gaming has gone up a considerable amount ever since I got a PS3. I play more than anyone should ever play.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is the greatest game ever made. This is my opinion, of course, but honestly, I cannot think of a game that can match it's structure, graphics, playability, music, story, etc. It is simply perfect.

Speaking of TV shows, I highly recommend Mad Men.

Ah, now we're friends again, Bryant. :blink: A fabulous show. It's simply too good for TV. I bought the DVD and I'm still watching it.

Attack Of The Clones: Poorly written and bad direction. And yet, it's difficult to turn it off. Why?!

Alex

Speaking of TV shows, I highly recommend Mad Men.

Ah, now we're friends again, Bryant. :blink: A fabulous show. It's simply too good for TV. I bought the DVD and I'm still watching it.

It's great stuff. Not for the easily bored, maybe, but incredibly rich, and as good a job of putting a period on film as I've ever seen on a series. My favorite character, I think, is Betty, who is complex and moving and incredibly easy on the eye.

I haven't watched any of the second season episodes yet; I'm rewatching season one with some friends who missed out on it until now. Once we're done, we're going to dive into the new season.

Attack Of The Clones: Poorly written and bad direction. And yet, it's difficult to turn it off. Why?!

Alex

Yeah, why?

To get the full scope of the fiasco? The last one i saw was 'Episode III', in the theater. And i still have bad dreams about the telenovela-like love'n fate stuff Georgieboy heaped on the shoulders of Portman and Christiansen. It IS embarrasing.

Alex

Because you're a glutton for punishment?

X-Men and X-Men 2: Could it be these comic book adaptations are good because Brian Singer doesn't like comic books? After watching these two movies I'm still wondering why he couldn't make his Superman movie work. Why couldn't he pull it off? Singer's got talent. You only have to look at the third X-Men movie to know that making one isn't easy. I'm almost certain that Singer would've done a better job with Superman Returns if he didn't like Donner's Superman: The Movie so much.

Alex

Saw In The Company of Men. Wow. A uniquely unsettling film, and for a reason less obvious than I thought. I don't know what to make of Aaron Eckhart now.

In what way?

This is one horrifying character. And his tools here are similar to his tools in Thank You For Smoking, where he is quite likable. His huge smile is the main charactaristic of both characters, and it's rather fascinating to see him put that smile to use with such different characters. And the character is so great at faking sincerity....I found it rather runsettling, as part of the supremely unsettling movie. It's really something of a masterpiece.

Once you look at him a bit longer maybe. But as first he just looks like another bland, prettyboy American.

no he's definately European Looking, Americans are much healthier looking.

Once you look at him a bit longer maybe. But as first he just looks like another bland, prettyboy American.

no he's definately European Looking, Americans are much healthier looking.

Yeah...

fat_kid.jpg

America (US) is the 'fattest' country in the world ... but Americans look healthier? WTF?

Steef: Brian Singer should've done his own thing without thinking about the Donner one. That's the main problem. He should've done Superman from a different perspective. It's the only way. Even Monty Python's Superman (Bicycle Repair Man) was better.

Alex

Star Trek: Nemesis

I really enjoyed this film. It's very flawed but after the considerably flat Insurrection it was pretty exciting. I wish the Next Gen crew hadn't finished on this note, but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Goldsmith's score was fairly exciting too, though not his most original.

Oh I forgot, Deanna rocked in this one. She had nothing to do in any of the previous movies and the Troi-centric episodes were hard to watch. But shock horror, I actually cared about her in this one! Finally some good acting too.

really I thought he looked more European than American.

Me too.

Really? With a jaw like that? :lol:

Not that it really matters anymore. He's proven himself to be a damn fine actor and not just a pretty guy. It's all that matters.

In fact, I've heard that if Singer pursues his Donner appoach with Superman: Man Of Steel, the sequel to Superman Returns, he might even get fired. The studios want a new direction, you know, like Nolan did with Batman Begins.

Brian Singer should've done his own thing without thinking about the Donner one. That's the main problem. He should've done Superman from a different perspective. It's the only way. Even Monty Python's Superman (Bicycle Repair Man) was better.

I read recently Action Comics no. 775 from few years back. It was titles "What's so funny about truth, justice and the American way?". In this issue Superman had to face modern world and a group of typically violent superheroes (representing the current trend in superhero comic books that appeared in early 90's). And the general public, which seemed to treat Supes's moral code as inadequate for the times. When I read the original synopsis of SR where it said "Superman has to find his place in a world that doesn't need him anymore" that was what I had in mind. It could be action packed, smart and still retain the essence of what Superman is about in the first place. If handled right. Most people don't like Superman, because it has nothing they can really relate to. The hero just rescues the same woman over and over again or rescues a plane or whatever. But it is completely detached from anything real. Bringing this character to modern world would give him quite an obstacle. And potentially great, powerful story. It doesn't have to be gritty, just more grown-up.

Karol

When I read the original synopsis of SR where it said "Superman has to find his place in a world that doesn't need him anymore" that was what I had in mind.

Do you think the film succesfully carried out what the synopsis promised?

When I read the original synopsis of SR where it said "Superman has to find his place in a world that doesn't need him anymore" that was what I had in mind.

Do you think the film succesfully carried out what the synopsis promised?

Not a single bit. But then again that was probably a rhetorical question...

"Following a mysterious absence of several years, the Man of Steel comes back to Earth in the epic action-adventure Superman Returns, a soaring new chapter in the saga of one of the world's most beloved superheroes. While an old enemy plots to render him powerless once and for all, Superman faces the heartbreaking realization that the woman he loves, Lois Lane, has moved on with her life. Or has she? Superman's bittersweet return challenges him to bridge the distance between them while finding a place in a society that has learned to survive without him. In an attempt to protect the world he loves from cataclysmic destruction, Superman embarks on an epic journey of redemption that takes him from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of outer space."

Very little of this summary has something to do with the actual film. Lois Lane didn't really move on with her life, the world is not very different place and there is no redemption story that I can recall.

But it seems you were right as far as direction for the new Superman movie goes. Read here.

Karol

"Dark Superman"?

Isn't that what they already did when they had Lucas and his cronies kick the crap out of Supes on a rainy, bleak, Kryptonian island at the end of Superman Returns? :lol:

It reminds me a bit of a situation of comic book industry in the 80's when there ware some really great things coming out (the two most well known titles being Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns). And then, suddenly, there was a thousand trashy comic books about gritty and dark characters (like Spawn, for example) trying to immitate these, but only on the surface it seems. When people will learn that it's not the concept that makes a good movie (or anything else, for that matter), but the execution of these ideas? TDK is not great because it's dark, but because it's well told story that treats its source material with respect. And speaking of its popularity at box office... Well, I have this strange feeling it has little to do with the quality of film itself.

Karol