Darabont's script leaked?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually my only real gripe with that moment is that the music is a bit too light and cheery for it. Indy recognizes the sadness of this, the audience should too, but after just a couple of seconds of tenderness, we get a light little transition back to the action. If Williams had stayed more sober for the transition back into the action music, it would've helped that moment feel a bit more proper, IMO.

I don't think so. The music immediately following that transition is relatively serious. Besides, they were getting pursued again, so the dangerous was renewed. At 2:19-2:21, instead of a spritely couple of notes, just smoothly go from the high/mid-range strings of the Raiders march material to menacing lower strings, or something like that. It wouldn't be jarring at all.

I believe Hitchcock would do the same with little comments about Herrmann having a say during certain scenes.

I believe in one script during a scene Hitch wrote "Mr. Herrmann may have something to say here".

I think it's in one of the CD liner notes for one of Hitch's films.

And like it was mentioned earlier, I'm sure the script would have been polished up to fix some things.

I just read through the Darabont script. The movie is better. All the stuff I liked in the movie is missing from the script and all the problems I had with it are still there.

What bothers me most about all this: it took so many years to write this thing. And still it doesn't work one way or another...

Karol

I haven't read the whole thing, but what I did read it just seems like Harrison Ford's age is not really taken into much of an account. The scene I think of the most is with Indy and his dad. The characters act pretty much the same as in Last Crusade, but yet twenty years have passed and I just can't imagine an 80 something year old man treating his 60 something year old son like that. Another, it seemed at the beginning that Indy goes chasing the action and once again he's just too old to be doing that. All the action in the actual movie was stuff he was thrown into or given the choice of either fighting his way out, or potentially dying. I just kinda skimmed through the script, so I could be wrong. But I did read the Indy/dad scene, so my opinion can't be swayed on that matter.

It's not too far-fatched. There's many a reference to Michael Giacchino in the Lost scripts.

There is also a lot of bad language in their scripts which they have to edit down for TV. Lost should be on HBO!

But yeah, they'll write things like "Pounding Giacchino drums during this chase scene."

Yes. It's mentioned in the season 3 liner notes and I've actually read several scripts. There's quite a bit of swearing, both in the dialogue and stage directions. Jorge Garcia once did a little in-joke in Dave, where he delivered his dialogue as "No. No (short pause) way!" The short pause indicated a removed expletive. :P

While I agree with a lot of those points, I can't get over the general gushing feeling of the author. So the script for KotCS wasn't perfect. Darabont's had some big problems too, but because we haven't seen that version filmed those problems obviously feel smaller than those in Koepp's.

If they shot that script there could have been just as many problems with pacing, gags, CGI etc. It's like comparing an early sketch of Michaelangelo's David with the end sculpture - no, I'm not saying KotCS is a work of art, but one draft script and one completed movie are miles away from each other.

6) Marion: NOW WHAT?

Indy: CAN YOU FLY?

Marion: DOES ONE LESSON COUNT?

Indy: OKAY, PLAN B! GRAB THE SKULL! I’LL GET MY WING UP TO YOUR COCKPIT! YOU WINGWALK OVER TO ME AND WE’LL FLY AWAY!

Marion: YOU CALL THAT A PLAN?

Indy: YOU GOT A BETTER ONE?

Marion: WHY DON’T YOU COME TO ME?

Indy: UH, LET’S SEE… COULD IT BE BECAUSE YOUR PLANE IS SHOT TO PIECES AND WILL FALL APART AT ANY MOMENT? NO? OKAY, HOW ABOUT I CAN’T FLY AND WINGWALK AT THE SAME TIME! AM I GETTING WARMER? LOOK, EITHER DO IT OR DIE ARGUING!

Doesn't sound funny to me. Sounds too ott, even for an Indy movie. I doubt it could've worked.

10) “I like Ike” vs. “I love America?”

Both are terrible lines.

34) Monkeys... “the monkey pooped on my chest.”

Thank God this line wasn't in the film, it may have been the very worst. However, "the monkey sh*t on my chest" may have been the best line in the entire movie.

39) Yes, the swinging in the vines scene is better in COG. It’s Indy trying to swing, which would’ve been funny to watch. Plus, he’s chasing after something HE desperately wants.

If they had gone to the jungle and filmed Ford's stuntman swinging for REAL from vine to vine, it might have been a great and hilarious stunt. If they had Ford on an obvious cg background, it would've been just as bad as the Shia version. With Lucas on board, it was always gonna be a bad idea.

An Indy film should NEVER end on a wedding ceremony. I don't care if Billy Wilder wrote it, it should've been binned.

Other than those points, the writer of the article makes a solid argument, which is kind of annoying since there is bugger all anyone can ever do about it.

So anyway, about that Hobbit movie that's coming out...

Am I the only one here who thinks that the "polishing" was the PROBLEM all along? I can't be bothered to go into the many, many examples where so much emphasis was on the polish, from the script to its execution, rather than having a bit of faith in the actors, editors, composer, etc, that a really heartwarming, thrilling story could have been generated out of story weaknesses; nor can I be bothered listing the many films that are greater than this Indy sequel despite total lack of polish.

KOTCS's fatal flaw is that it tries so hard to be perfect that it forgets that imperfection breeds some of the greatest creativity.

'50 strengths of Darabonts script'

Pathetic.

You can write as many flaws for the script too

Or as many strengths for KOTCS.

It all depends on what 'side' you are.

34) Monkeys - Koepp’s script: bad monkey scene. Darabont’s script: good monkey scene. Koepp’s script: nothing funny about his monkey scene. Darabont’s script: the whole point of the monkey scene was to enjoy two funny gags: 1) the monkey landing on Indy’s chest as he’s hanging on for dear life on the landing gear under Marion’s plane, which makes the monkey scream, which makes Indy scream, and 2) a few seconds later, when Indy’s back in the plane, we get a great line of dialogue: “the monkey pooped on my chest.”

:huh:

The guy would have ripped that to death if it was in KOTCS

35) Snakes - Koepp’s script: bad snake scene. Darabont’s script: good snake scene. I recall, after they made an announcement about Indy IV, complaining that they’ll probably give Indy a character arc, and I remember Unk saying, “Yeah, they’ll make him overcome his fear of snakes.” And damned if that wasn’t exactly what Koepp tried to do with that stupid sandpit scene. But with Darabont, it was handled better. Indy surprises everyone by announcing that he’s overcome his fear of snakes. But then he has a really bad experience with a really big snake, and thus, he’s fearful all over again. It’s perfect. The more Indy tries to change, the more he stays the same.

Perfect? Such a strong word for a unvelievable scene with a giant snake

38) Waterfalls - To have Oxley announce beforehand that there will be three waterfalls is no fun. You mentally count them as they go over. That’s NO FUN! Here, we don’t know how many waterfalls there are. Each new waterfall is a surprise. Darabont had four in total, and it’s a running gag. It would’ve played better, because you’d be going through that experience WITH them, not counting them off.

But the point that people complained about this scenes wasnt that the survival was unvelievable or impossible?

And this guy would have loved one more waterfall

15) Scene with Dad - I like it. It’s not happy, funny banter that we’re used to seeing, but it serves an important purpose in the narrative. It escalates the growing tension at home, defines why Indy needs to leave, sets up the pay off at the end about his love life, and ultimately, Dad supports him by holding off the police.

I wonder how this could have been true if they used the darabont script.

Sean Connery did not want to appear in the movie.

Nor lucas, Spielberg, Ford or Koepp's fault.

I dont know what are you trying to sell us Neil, i just know that you would have loathed too a darabont scripted movie.

Either way, Koepp has only ever been a serviceable screenwriter at best. In fact the one thing his scripts have always lacked most is wit. Hmm...

The peanut butter conversation in WotW was hilarious. nosmile.gif

I remember the alarm bells ringing in my head when I heard that Spielberg had brought him on board.

I'm not putting him as the best (scriptwriter), but frankly Darabont's has many flaws and has a fan-script stench

There are way too many callbacks to Raiders in it, but otherwise I like it so far. I'm about halfway through it.

Well at least Darabont's script has one thing the film lacks and that is a true purpose fpr Indy to go on his adventure.

...and the alien pauses, turning. Indy is shouldering the

carbine, taking careful aim, finger on the trigger —

INDY : Welcome to Earth.

— and BLAM!BLAM!BLAM!BLAM!BLAM! He empties the clip

in into the creature, driving it back into the shadows. Oxley

drops to the floor. Indy dashes in, grabs him...

^awesome^ Although, I wonder if people would think it was stealing from Independence Day.

Or they didn't want to pay his fee to appear in the movie.

Neil

Or they didn't want to pay his fee to appear in the movie.

Neil

You can't be serious or believe that. Really.

We can all believe what we want to believe. Knowing Connery's requests in the past to return to the Bond franchise, it's not unreasonable to believe he wanted a large fee to return to this franchise, especially since he announced his retirement.

And if they had gone with this script, he had a good, small part in the film that would have been worth his time.

Neil

We can all believe what we want to believe. Knowing Connery's requests in the past to return to the Bond franchise, it's not unreasonable to believe he wanted a large fee to return to this franchise, especially since he announced his retirement.

And if they had gone with this script, he had a good, small part in the film that would have been worth his time.

Neil

who tells you this scene is not made by Lucas and would be in the final script?

They told him he had a small role in the film and he declined.

For me i was dissapointed by his declinement and 'i'm retired' thing. (For me) it hurt his reputation-ranking on my list. Why would he prefer to 'hurt' his reputation instead of saying 'they didnt paid enough'?

BTW, everyone believes what we want to believe, OK. But then Connery you are calling Connery a liar. I give him the benefit of the doubt. I trust his word over anything else untill proof is shown on the contrary.

Connery turned down the movie. Did he say exactly why, beyond enjoying his retirement? That can be interpreted many ways.

Neil

Come on Neil, Sean Connery has officially retired. His non participation has nothing to do with quality, hell he made Never Say Never Again and that was a terrible film.

I wonder if he got paid for the use of his image on Indy's desk.

Interesting.

I wonder if his image as Dr. Jones isn't their property.

Come on Neil, Sean Connery has officially retired. His non participation has nothing to do with quality, hell he made Never Say Never Again and that was a terrible film.

Joe, I never mentioned quality being a factor with Connery's non-appearance in the movie. I believe he wanted more money to appear in the film than the producers were willing to pay.

Neil

Interesting.

I don't know. The image looked like a publicity still for Last Crusade, so it might be entirely possible the use of it was free. I don't know how it works exactly (which is why I wondered).

I'm not putting him as the best scripwritter, but frankly Darabont's has many flaws and has a fan-script stench

I think the only reason most people prefer Darabont's script is because it plays in their heads instead of in theaters.

I'm not putting him as the best scripwritter, but frankly Darabont's has many flaws and has a fan-script stench

I think the only reason most people prefer Darabont's script is because it plays in their heads instead of in theaters.

And because it was the other option, and will never be filmed and history cannot be changed.

That's incorrect (at least in my case). It's a better handled story than the final film. The final film is stupid and focuses on the wrong things. The Darabont draft focuses on Indiana Jones and not his son/sidekick. That's a big plus in it's favor since it is an Indiana Jones story. It also gives all of the characters something interesting to do. What purpose does Marian have in KOCS? She mostly stands around and smiles. In this script shes integral to the action and acts as she did in Raiders.

He also gives Indy some wonderful dramatic moments. The good-bye to his class and the drunk scene in the museum. These are Indy moments we want to see. It shows his passion and his care. In the movie we don't get any of that. In fact we wind up with a stupid scene of him back at the school with a student asking him a question after he's already been dismissed from his position! To say nothing of Indy then saying "You've got to get out of the library" after he's already taught (in the last film) that "70% of all archaeology is done in the library".

The action is also better in the Darabont script. They both have rocket sleds, but Darabont has them fighting on it. That's exciting. Indy's chase through the warehouse would have been much better than him just driving off and then grabbing a light a moment later. And that airplane sequence could have been something cool, too. And yes, this script has swinging through trees, however Indy was using his whip. We all believe he's an expert with that weapon, so it would be easier to believe. It'd also be more fun, since we care about Indy and want to see him doing heroic stuff. I do not want to see Mutt doing ridiculous things while his father just stares at him. That's not what happens in an Indiana Jones movie.

Is the Darabont script perfect? No, it's a first draft and needed some changes. I haven't even come to terms with Indy being swallowed whole by a giant snake, but I do like how it ties into Indy's fear of snakes, which is done far better in this than what turned up in KOCS. And as I've said elsewhere, it foreshadows other giant critters, as opposed to KOCS which smacks of someone saying "we need creepy-crawlies in this thing" and they're just plopped in out of nowhere.

Darabont gets a lot right with his Indy story and it's a shame it never got any further than this draft.

Neil

Interesting.

I don't know. The image looked like a publicity still for Last Crusade, so it might be entirely possible the use of it was free. I don't know how it works exactly (which is why I wondered).

I would think that both Connery and the Denholm Elliot estate had to have been paid to use their images for the photos on Indy's desk and outside his classroom. I don't think the studios own the rights to their faces just because they're in character makeup. Crispin Glover didn't sign onto Back to the Future, Part II, but the studio cleverly got around that by putting Jeffrey Weissman in prosthetics -- "false nose, chin and cheekbones and a wig on to make him look like [Glover] and then he did an impression of [Glover] specifically...inter-spliced...with some footage [of Glover] from the first film."

So Glover sued the studio, and "now there are rules in the Screen Actors Guild to make it so that's not possible for that to happen again."

See story here

I'm assuming that whatever SAG rules are now in place, payment for use of the photos was made since they are photos. I don't know if this means that Harrison Ford gets paid a royalty each time his likeness is used on the cover of a new Indiana Jones novel, or as Han Solo on every Star Wars novel for that matter, because I don't know what the SAG rules are. Would those count since they are hand drawings based on the likeness of a person in character, and not straight up photo? I don't know.

Not to bring this further into Star Wars land, but I don't think that David Prowse or Peter Mayhew get paid each time Darth Vader or Chewbacca's mugs get shown in public...

That's incorrect (at least in my case). It's a better handled story than the final film. The final film is stupid and focuses on the wrong things. The Darabont draft focuses on Indiana Jones and not his son/sidekick. That's a big plus in it's favor since it is an Indiana Jones story. It also gives all of the characters something interesting to do. What purpose does Marian have in KOCS? She mostly stands around and smiles. In this script shes integral to the action and acts as she did in Raiders.

He also gives Indy some wonderful dramatic moments. The good-bye to his class and the drunk scene in the museum. These are Indy moments we want to see. It shows his passion and his care. In the movie we don't get any of that. In fact we wind up with a stupid scene of him back at the school with a student asking him a question after he's already been dismissed from his position! To say nothing of Indy then saying "You've got to get out of the library" after he's already taught (in the last film) that "70% of all archaeology is done in the library".

The action is also better in the Darabont script. They both have rocket sleds, but Darabont has them fighting on it. That's exciting. Indy's chase through the warehouse would have been much better than him just driving off and then grabbing a light a moment later. And that airplane sequence could have been something cool, too. And yes, this script has swinging through trees, however Indy was using his whip. We all believe he's an expert with that weapon, so it would be easier to believe. It'd also be more fun, since we care about Indy and want to see him doing heroic stuff. I do not want to see Mutt doing ridiculous things while his father just stares at him. That's not what happens in an Indiana Jones movie.

Is the Darabont script perfect? No, it's a first draft and needed some changes. I haven't even come to terms with Indy being swallowed whole by a giant snake, but I do like how it ties into Indy's fear of snakes, which is done far better in this than what turned up in KOCS. And as I've said elsewhere, it foreshadows other giant critters, as opposed to KOCS which smacks of someone saying "we need creepy-crawlies in this thing" and they're just plopped in out of nowhere.

Darabont gets a lot right with his Indy story and it's a shame it never got any further than this draft.

Neil

Neil is correct in his assessment.

To say nothing of Indy then saying "You've got to get out of the library" after he's already taught (in the last film) that "70% of all archaeology is done in the library".

In the last three films indy was scared about snakes and in this one he had overcome the fear (untill the giant snake poo).

He also taughts X never marks the spot.

I think with those teachings he is not encouraging adveturer-archeologists on his students. It seems he has changed opinion with the years.

But of course its Koepp's script, so it has to be nitpicked at every single line.

I cant believe you want the jungle swinging with whip. I'm sure you would have complained about impossibility of doing that and the resemblance to videogame action.

And the ants do not plop out nowhere, they plop out of their hive. And as i said, similar ants exist, but of course these are bullied up for the movie.

The ants getting out of the hives is much more feasible and thousands of snakes hiding from the heat in the desert, millions of insects of different species in and underground cave and a lot of rats in a catacomb filled with petroleum.

The one and only reason Connery wasn't in Indy IV was because he just couldn't be arsed leaving his cushy villa in Spain, for what was a relatively small part.

I'm glad he didn't to be honest, and I bet he is too.

The ants getting out of the hives is much more feasible and thousands of snakes hiding from the heat in the desert, millions of insects of different species in and underground cave and a lot of rats in a catacomb filled with petroleum.

The snakes serve a purpose, the lead up to the discovery of the Ark would have no suspense without them. It'd be kind of a letdown if they got into the chamber, walked right up and got the Ark. Also, Marion and Indy getting left in the Well of the Souls would have no suspense or urgency without the snakes. There are snakes in the desert and they surely found there way into the buried ruins, that's already been covered. The bugs also serve a purpose in ToD, Willie would have had no problem getting Indy and Shorty out of the spike room if there were no bugs. They are an essential part of the whole sequence. The critters are well placed in these films. In Last Crusade, the rats are just there. It's not illogical because rats do dwell underground and in sewers, but at the same time they don't do anything to the story and the scene is not built around the rats - unlike ToD and Raiders. You kind of get the feeling they just decided that the catacombs would be the only real place to include critters.