The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

True, you can't cover your own song.

Perhaps. But...

Bob Dylan originally performs "All Along the Watchtower" quite leisurely.

Then Jimi Hendrix boosts the tempo when he covers it.

Then Bob Dylan performs the same song in the style of Jimi Hendrix. He covers a cover of his original song.

I recall reading somewhere that Dylan stated he preferred Hendrix's version. Not sure how accurate that is, but it's clear through his concert performances of it. I still prefer his original version.

The acoustic version is so different from the original, I'd call it a cover regardless of who wrote it.

Has anyone bought the "Some Girls" re-issue, yet, and, if they have, have they tried to incorporate the second disc of songs into the released album to make a double album? Have any of these songs ever turned up on boots?

I haven't even checked yet what's on the second disc. Interested in it though... it's one of the best Stones albums.

The acoustic version is so different from the original, I'd call it a cover regardless of who wrote it.

Has anyone bought the "Some Girls" re-issue, yet, and, if they have, have they tried to incorporate the second disc of songs into the released album to make a double album? Have any of these songs ever turned up on boots?

I haven't even checked yet what's on the second disc. Interested in it though... it's one of the best Stones albums.

Yeah. it's often refered to as "the last great Stones album". Personally, I like "Tattoo You" a lot.

BBC Radio 2 had an interview with Charlie Watts, and Ronnie Wood last Monday. It might still be available as a pod-cast.

Yeah. it's often refered to as "the last great Stones album". Personally, I like "Tattoo You" a lot.

BBC Radio 2 had an interview with Charlie Watts, and Ronnie Wood last Monday. It might still be available as a pod-cast.

I actually like most of VOODOO LOUNGE,so that would be my "last great Stones album".

That's a great one, too. Incidentally, I bought these two together. :)

I actually like most of VOODOO LOUNGE,so that would be my "last great Stones album".

I love Voodoo Lounge. It's up there with my favourites.

A Bigger Bang is actually pretty solid. And while I never could muster much excitement for Bridges to Babylon, at least as a live number, Out of Control is great.

I finally listened to the Lou Reed Metallica album. It is not the worst album ever conceived. It is interesting to say the least and it will certainly be remembered as an oddity in both of their careers. I think the public is generally getting fed up with Metallica because it takes them too long to put out another album. When they finally put out an album with their name on it we get Lulu. It would be nice if they could be talking about another real Metallica album at the same time that this was released.

I agree with We've Only Just Begun which might be their best track ever.

Calling Occupants I have difficulty with. Not that's it's bad but it doesn't have that early Carpenters feeling.

Here's another song on Ticket To Ride that I've listened to many a times this week.

It's a cover of a Neil Young song but to me the best part is the SING in close harmony together with the strings and which is the only thing new added to the original song.

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

You know that rare occurrence when you hear a song somewhere and like it instantly? Introducing the UK's next big music export, singer songwriter Emeli Sandé:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...dance/#p00mk8dd

Alternative inferior quality Youtube link for those who can't access BBC iPlayer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qHiht2Wm70

A fabulous live performance and a great record, I think. I feel lucky to have caught a snippet of it on the radio whilst driving home from work the other night.

Seems I'm not alone, because it turns out she's just won the upcoming talent spotter, The Brits Critics Choice Award - whose previous recipients have been acts like Florence and the Machine and Adele...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-16183278

Yes, I always knew I had excellent taste.

Sounds like you're confused. The critics choice award isn't endorsed by Simon Cowell, Alex. If you're implying that to recognise a phenomenonal talent such as Adele is tasteless, then ha ha indeed.

I love Stevie Wonder, but that was not the vibe I was getting. More like Beyoncé, Rihanna, Alicia Keys etc.

I adore the ol' version of the genre (i.e. rhythm 'n' blues), but not so much that recent version.

Seemed like Alicia Keys with brass arrangement. But I'll grant you, it was somewhat more interesting than that.

Alicia Keys I'll agree on, but in this instance at least, there's too much in the way of live acoustics on display for Emeli to ever be compared to the super-produced-and-packaged engineering of a Beyonce record, or a Rihanna.

Alicia Keys I'll agree on, but in this instance at least, there's too much in the way of live acoustics on display for Emeli to ever be compared to the super-produced-and-packaged engineering of a Beyonce record, or a Rihanna.

Yeah, I agree, wasn't quite as glossy and 'vacant' as those.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can see where you're coming from but she's just a natural beauty. Her mouth in particular is gorgeous. Apparently she gets a lot of stick over her face, but she was a model before breaking into music.

normal.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

1309401fa696.jpg

Patrick Moraz: Future Memories (Live On TV) (1979)

Wow! If you are a fan of electronic music and great keyboard/piano playing, check this album out on Spotify. Everything is performed live too!

Thanks for the tip, Alex. "Relayer" was just about the first Yes album that I ever heard, with "Sound Chaser" still being one of my top 5 Yes pieces.

Moraz, never got the acclaim that he deserved while in Yes, but that's understandable given who his predecessor (and successor!) was.

Have you ever tried the music of Larry Fast?

Thanks for the tip, Alex. "Relayer" was just about the first Yes album that I ever heard, with "Sound Chaser" still being one of my top 5 Yes pieces.

Moraz, never got the acclaim that he deserved while in Yes, but that's understandable given who his predecessor (and successor!) was.

Agreed. Relayer was my first encounter with Yes too. Sound Chaser is one of my favorite pieces as well.

Checked out 1 album from Larry Fast. You, me and Thor talked about it a little (about his style). Haven't tried the other ones. Hmm, there's almost nothing from Larry Fast on Spotify.

• 3 months later...

Coldplay is coming to the Verizon Center here July 8th and 9th, and my friend really wants to go. I checked ticket prices and they're fucking ridiculous at the moment, but if I ended up snagging two floor tickets for The Black Keys for $150 then I'm sure these will go down as well.

Anyway, I've always known of Coldplay and liked a handful of their songs, but I decided to properly listen to all their albums. What I discovered is much different than what I was anticipating. They're a much more ambient and electronic band than what I initially thought. At least in regards to Mylo Xyloto, the slight vocoding and synth beats are a bit of a turn off, but I found myself playing it over and over the first day I listened to it. There's some quality stuff there, and in going backwards through their other albums I find them to be quite decent. But that's more or less it, I can't imagine why they're so popular. I wouldn't call them a great band, but they have some good songs.

Right now I'm a fan of X&Y and Mylo Xyloto as albums, and the others have songs as highlights. I know Jay and Trenton listen to them, what do you guys think?

I'm a coldplay fan! saw them in stockholm a couple of years ago (the viva la vida tour), and it's still one of the best concerts I've ever been to. they're great live! I would go see 'em if I were you.

for me, mylo xyloto was a huge disappointment, charlie brown and paradise are the only songs I like. I'm more into their older stuff (AROBTTH and parachutes), x&y is my favorite album though, pure magic!

I've always loved "Don't Panic" every since I heard it in Garden State, but the rest of Parachutes leaves me a bit cold, I don't know.

I also like "Clocks," "A Rush Of Blood To The Head," and some of the more percussive songs on Viva La Vida ("Lost!" "Yes," and "Death And All Of His Friends").

yellow? shiver? sparks? they're all great songs! have you given them a couple of listenings? hmmm

yes, death and all of his friends is my favorite viva la vida song. next to lovers in japan.

what are your favorites from x&y?

Just finished listening to Parachutes for the third time, I can dig "Yellow" and "High Speed," but the album as a whole just, to quote Datameister, rubs me the wrong way. I too like "Lovers In Japan."

From X&Y, I particularly love "Square One," "What If," "Fix You," "Speed Of Sound," "Swallowed In The Sea," "Twisted Logic," and the hidden "Til Kingdom Come." I've always known of "Fix You" and "Speed Of Sound" though, them being some of their most popular songs. "What If" and "Swallowed In The Sea" would be the top two from the album for me. It's very strong from beginning to end.

I know Jay and Trenton listen to them, what do you guys think?

Wow you must be thinking of someone else because I can't stand Coldplay at all! They are up there with The Killers for me as bands I hate so much I have to change the channel when they come on. It'so frustrating that they get played on a bunch of rock stations I otherwise like because they are just so grating I can't stand to listen to any of their songs at all. Absolutely awful band I cannot understand why they are as popular as they are.

Which Trent did you mean? Cause I think Bennet listens exclusively to film scores

Wow you must be thinking of someone else because I can't stand Coldplay at all! They are up there with The Killers for me as bands I hate so much I have to change the channel when they come on. It'so frustrating that they get played on a bunch of rock stations I otherwise like because they are just so grating I can't stand to listen to any of their songs at all. Absolutely awful band I cannot understand why they are as popular as they are.

wow. heart-break-icon.png

Hoyt obviously. I know I've seen a couple of their albums on his recently bought lists in that thread. I recall seeing them on yours as well, must have been thinking of someone else.

Yea definitely not me - they're literally my least favorite band :)

wow. heart-break-icon.png

I had a feeling you would have that reaction :(

I don't like Coldplay but I do like The Killers. They're one of very modern bands* that I've felt compelled to buy every single album they put out, even though I really only like their first two albums the most. I think they did their best work on Hot Fuss and Sam's Town, and the later releases keep falling short. The live album at London was pretty good.

* Volbeat and Halestorm are the others.

Just can't get into them, even though i should like them. Their lyrics are what drive me away more than their music. Death Cab For Cutie is another one I could not stand, until that "You Are A Tourist" song came out, that song's pretty good

Hoyt obviously. I know I've seen a couple of their albums on his recently bought lists in that thread. I recall seeing them on yours as well, must have been thinking of someone else.

koray, have you listened to The Tallest Man On Earth? he's swedish so idno if he's famous in the us yet, but I can imagine you'd like his stuff.

Yea definitely not me - they're literally my least favorite band :)

Must have been me. I love Coldplay, Im going to see them this summer.

koray, have you listened to The Tallest Man On Earth? he's swedish so idno if he's famous in the us yet, but I can imagine you'd like his stuff.

Not really into it. I've got picky music tastes but am always looking for someone new. A friend introduced me to this Canadian band. Love 'em:

Must have been me. I love Coldplay, Im going to see them this summer.

Which is your favorite album?