Popular Songs you find special, from today back to the past.

JoeinAR

There are so many songs I love, I'm not just a film score person.

Currently I'm listening to Hamilton, Joe, Frank, and Reynolds hit Don't Pull Your Love from the early 70's, they sound sorta like Elvis only better.

Earlier I listened to Elton John's Empty Garden, and Madonna's Oh Father

some of you like harder rock and roll or rap, so tell us who do you like, and specifically what are some of the great songs you like

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some top ones for me:

So Long Self - MercyMe

Wunderkind - Alanis Morissette

While You Were Sleeping - Casting Crowns

Can You Feel The Love Tonight - Elton John (his version)

Dive - Steven Curtis Chapman

Oh! Gravity - Switchfoot

My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dion (and proud of it)

Try - Bebo Norman

All good songs, none of which will I try to defend musically...

This is probably the best list I can come up with for my top favorite songs.

Like A Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan

Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd

Sympathy For The Devil by The Rolling Stones

I Am The Walrus by The Beatles

Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin

Light My Fire by The Doors

Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who

Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie

Rocket Man (I Think It's Going To Be A Long, Long Time) by Elton John

Hurricane by Bob Dylan

I Heard It Through The Grapevine by Creedence Clearwater Revival

Don't Stop Me Now by Queen

"Both Sides Now" - the only version I actually own is the one sung by Leonard Nimoy (Spaced Out), but it is fantastic.

All the other songs I like are from films, for the most part.

"With These Hands" is nice in the context of the Edward Scissorhands score. Or maybe just really cheesy. I also like...

"Superman" - Lazlo Bane

"Uptown Girl" - Billy Joel

"Ruins" - George Is Jones

"Hollow Life" - Korn

"The Light Before We Land" - the Delgados

lots of jazz tunes

various classic rock

Brick House - Commodores

Every Breath You Take - The Police

Hotel California - The Eagles

Africa - Toto

Cherry Pie - Warrant

You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC

Keep It Comin' Love - KC & The Sunshine Band

I Want Your Love - Chic

Talk Dirty To Me - Poison

Enter Sandman - Metallica

A couple of my favorites:

"Let It Be" - The Beatles (among others)

"Dust In The Wind" - Kansas

"Don't Stop Believing" - Journey

"Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman

"Cecilia" - Simon & Garfunkel (among others)

Too many to list, including lots of Rolling Stones (Gimme Shelter might be my favourite there) and increasingly Queen, plus some of the others listed above.

Currently active favourites are Muse and The Dresden Dolls.

I find that my favorite songs tend to have a kind of bittersweet quality to varying degrees. For example, If you Could Read my Mind by Gordon Lightfoot is something I listen to a lot. Recently, I rediscovered Seals and Croft. The middle section on Hummingbird is wonderful, complete with french horn and an emotive chord progression. That's also a good example of how I disect music down to the seconds, looking only for the best of the best. These are also songs I grew up hearing my parents listen to so there's a nostalgia factor as well.

- Adam

A few titles...

"Uptown Girl" - Billy Joel

I love this one! Great clip too ("story" & staging), and I loved the gorgeous girl (lovely & classy)!

I can't remember her name.

The Rolling Stones' "Paint It Black"; I love the melody & orchestration.

Sting & Cheb Mami's

; what pains me when listening to this now is that about two years ago or so (a few years after the song), Mami was charged (condemned? I don't remember) with beating his wife; it was not just an accusation, he was revealed to be violent; that's quite a stain on such a beautiful song. The guy who edited this clip with pictures of the perfectly divine Aishwarya had a most brilliant idea (wrong country, but that's not a problem).

Tom Jones'

; I like both the music and the lyrics-- the fact it actually has a story (which seems so rare nowadays) and it's so efficiently done in a few stanzas (without being graphically explicit); there's a bit of depth to the "narrator" too (as much as is possible in a short song with a repeated chorus: the mounting jealousy, the madness, the pain).

The

singing (and dancing!) is an absolute must-see! The craziness starts with the song at 1:45; the wait is worth it: it's side-splittingly hilarious! Brilliant. I'd love to have more like this one.

If you don't know the following one, listen to the clip without watching the video, as it spoils the lyrics's end twist right from the first image.

Tom Jones' interpretation of "Green, Green Grass of Home".

Elvis' take on it is good, too-- it's not much of a surprise, isn't it?

Cher's

-- what an outfit! I prefer the punchier reprise she did, as featured on the Farewell Tour DVD.

Cher's version of "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore", which I discovered in Chris Carter's beautiful first black & white episode of The X-Files, Post-Modern Prometheus, which made great great use of a few of her songs. The song is not featured in Suspect, byt the way (I saw the movie a few months ago).

U2's "Hold Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me, Thrill Me".

Bono & The Edge's

; the video clip's version is a lot better than
(which sounds rather lifeless, both instrumentally and vocally).

As explained on Wikipedia, "In 1977, Tyler was diagnosed with nodules on her vocal cords that were so severe that surgery was mandatory. However, Tyler began speaking again prior to her doctor's orders, causing her voice to take on a raspy quality. At first this made her believe that her singing career was over, but (to her surprise) her next single made her an international star." The combination of ther voice and her songs does work remarkably well.

Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart"-- I didn't remember the clip had such silly elements. Her

Bonnie Tyler's

As explained on Wikipedia, "In 1977, Tyler was diagnosed with nodules on her vocal cords that were so severe that surgery was mandatory. However, Tyler began speaking again prior to her doctor's orders, causing her voice to take on a raspy quality. At first this made her believe that her singing career was over, but (to her surprise) her next single made her an international star." The combination of ther voice and her songs does work remarkably well.

The story is better than that: Tyler had been silent for a few days after the operation, in order to save her voice. But one evening, her mother asked her if she had picked up her daughter from school. Tyle, who had forgotten, reacted with a rotund "mmmkay!!" she couldn't repress. There was no going back after that.

[Goddamn you and your curse filter ruining anecdotes, Marc!]

Where to start, here's just a sprinkling of my favourites:

Elton John - Levon

Billy Joel - Captain Jack

Simon & Garfunkel - America

Whitesnake - Here I Go Again ('87 mix)

Bon Jovi - You Give Love A Bad Name

Annie Lennox - Love Song For A Vampire

Coldplay - Fix You

Pet Shop Boys - Always On My Mind (probably the best cover version ever IMO)

Marc Cohn - Walking In Memphis

They Might Be Giants - Birdhouse In Your Soul

Carly Simon - Coming Around Again

Journey - Don't Stop Believing

The Monkees - Daydream Believer

Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline

George Michael - Praying For Time

The Beatles - Penny Lane

and that song over the end credits of Fletch is a guilty pleasure - can anyone remember what that was called and the artist?

:D

Empty Garden really does feature some of Taupin's most touching lyrics, it's understandable that Elton doesn't perform it much due to the sincere emotion.

Oh Father is one of many highlights on the Like A Prayer album, Pray For Spanish Eyes, Cherish, Express Yourself etc. Dear Jessie was also a charming song that was a big Christmas hit at the time. That will always be Madonna finest album IMO.

increasingly Queen

Indeed!

I've allways liked and lately have been listening to Queen a lot.

And I never realised that Mercury is that powerful and personal singer.

The Power of Love by Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Oh, I have SO many songs that are special for me... I'll try to put down a short list, in no particular order:

"Across the Universe" - The Beatles

"Tiny Dancer" - Elton John

"In My Time of Dying" - Led Zeppelin

"Everybody Hurts" - R.E.M.

"In Your Eyes" - Peter Gabriel

"Shape of My Heart" - Sting

"Forever" - Ben Harper

"Dear Chicago" - Ryan Adams

"Landed" - Ben Folds

"All I Want is You" - U2

"Secret Garden" - Bruce Springsteen

"Foolish Love" - Rufus Wainwright

"Wild Horses" - Rolling Stones

"Good Riddance" - Green Day

"Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" - Creedence Clearwater Revival

"Head Over Feet" - Alanis Morissette

"Here Comes the Sun" - The Beatles

"All Along the Watchtower" - Bob Dylan

"In My Room" - Beach Boys

"Let's Get It On" - Marvin Gaye

"Superstition" - Stevie Wonder

"Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen

"Come Down In Time" - Elton John

"Kiss from a Rose" - Seal

And many others...

That Walken video reminded me of

Great! Thanks!

The story is better than that: Tyler had been silent for a few days after the operation, in order to save her voice. But one evening, her mother asked her if she had picked up her daughter from school. Tyle, who had forgotten, reacted with a rotund "mmmkay!!" she couldn't repress. There was no going back after that.

Thanks for the additional details, Elmo!

Empty Garden really does feature some of Taupin's most touching lyrics, it's understandable that Elton doesn't perform it much due to the sincere emotion.

As I understood from what he explained at his 60th Birthday Concert (it was shown on TV last Tuesday-- a whole year after :\ ), Elton John wrote it with John Lennon, who said he would sing it on stage with him if it was a success, which he doubted; it turned out to be, so he did perform it with him.

This, he said, is why he has only ever performed it at Madison Square Garden since Lennon's assassination.

wrong Oliver, he preformed it in Little Rock, Arkansas. I was there, I was stunned.

James and I held hands in the dark arena and I think both of us were in tears. It was both of our favorite song.

I never dared dream I'd ever hear that song live, but I did. He played it on the piano, nothing else. It was beyond AWESOME.

Elton rarely plays it, but he does on occasion, its very hard for him he says.

Great topic (as always) Joe.

For me, songs are almost as important as film music. However, I rarely listen to anything on the top 40 charts anymore, since most of it is just dreck. I like songs that tell a story, or at the very least get you in the chest thumper. Here is a short list of songs floating around my iPod.

Scar by Carly Simon. From her incredibly underappreciated cd "The Bedroom Tapes", a brave and raw song about the aftermath of her breast cancer surgery.

My Sweet Lord by George Harrison. The most talented member of the Beatles writes and performs a simple song about spirituality that all faiths can relate to.

Romeo by Shari Ulrich. This song from the early 80's, by Vancouver native Shari Ulrich, has one of the catchiest bass hook lines, of any pop song. The stays with you long after you first hear it.

Strut by Sheena Easton. Okay, not a great song I grant you, but I've had a crush on Sheena since I first laid eyes on her in the early 80's and I love this song. It's spiky pop sound was (and still is) one of my favourite songs of the era. You can see for yourself

The Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin. If you want to hear the birth of heavy metal, then you have to listen to this song. Robert Plant's primal scream always sends chills down my spine.

Life In A Northen Town by The Dream Academy. As someone who knows what it is to live in a small isolated community as a young man, I can tell you that the slightly surreal imagery of this song is spot on.

Bad Timing by Blue Rodeo. As anyone who has fumbled through the end of a relationship will tell you, this song perfectly captures all the stupid things, that seem to make sense when you are heartbroken.

Angel Mine by The Cowboy Junkies. This song is perfection, simply put. Margo Timmons vocals are subdued and the whole song has a beautiful simple melody. Check it out

I Can't Get Behind That by William Shatner and Henry Rollins. As I get older, I rant more and more, the Shat and Rollins seem to be vocalising everything that annoys me about life in the 2000's

Nessun Dorma by Luciano Pavarotti. I know this is not a popular song, but it is one of my very favourite arias and makes me gasp for air every time I hear it. It has taken on a whole new meaning lately since the loss of the great Pavarotti.

and finally Always Look on the Bright Side of Life by Eric Idle. This song always makes me smile when I am down.

Just a few, I will post some more later... Ciao

BKL

NP:We your dearest friends - Carly Simon, The Bedroom Tapes

Nessun Dorma by Luciano Pavarotti. I know this is not a popular song, but it is one of my very favourite arias and makes me gasp for air every time I hear it. It has taken on a whole new meaning lately since the loss of the great Pavarotti.

The name is Giacomo Puccini.

been listen to Tears for Fears this week, its hard to peg my favorite....Everybody wants to Rule the World, Head over Heals, Shout, Sowing the Seeds of Love, or Break it Down Again. Usually I listen to them all in a row.

That Amy Winehouse may have the demeaner and behaviour of a crack-whore, but she sure can sing.

Yes, althhough there is no such thing as melody in her songs, it's at least better than the average garbage Radio538 plays these days.

David Bowie - Life on Mars

Aaron Copland - Our Town

Huey Lewis - Back in Time/Power of Love

Bryan Adams - Run to You

Don Maclean - American Pie

Various other 'unmentionable' 80s and 90s songs I wouldn't be seen dead playing.

Some of my fav songs:

1) How Can I Remember? John Williams/Michael Dees

2) March With Me - Vangelis/Monserrat Caballé

3) To Love You More - Celine Dion

4) A Place of My Own - John Williams/forgot the name of the singer

5) It Hurts Me - ELvis Presley

6) Con Te Partiro - Andrea Boccelli

7) Always On My Mind - Elvis Presley

8) Innuendo - Queen

9) If Every Day Was Like Christmas - Elvis Presley

10) Back For Good - Take That

11) A Kind of Magic - Queen

12) In Dreams - Roy Orbison

13) Caribbean Blue - Enya

David Bowie: Life on Mars

David Bowie: Lady Grinning Soul

Kraftwerk: Autobahn

Fleetwood Mac: Oh Well

Queen: Killer Queen

Yes: The Gates of Delirium

Mike Oldfield: Moonlight Shadow

Kate Bush: The Man With the Child in His Eyes

Beatles: Eleanor Rigby

Beatles: In My Life

Abba: My Love My Life

Donna Summer: I Feel Love

Bob Dylan: Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands

Goldfrapp: Lovely Head

Genesis: Turn it on Again

Jon and Vangelis: State of Independence

Sufjan Stevens: Come on Feel the Illinois

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure it'll change tomorrow.

State of Independence yes, but with Donna Summer, Jon and Vangelis do it no justice.

The name is Giacomo Puccini.

I KNOW that it was written by Giacomo Puccini, Marian. As you can see by the rest of my posts, I wasn't listing any of the composers or lyricists for these songs. Just the performers. Since this B0000041Q3.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg is my favourite performance of Turandot, I listed Pavarotti only for the aria...

I'm listening to the new Coldplay album in the latest days. It's really good. Chris Martin surely knows how to write a good melody, he has a great sense of lyricism.

State of Independence yes, but with Donna Summer, Jon and Vangelis do it no justice.

The Donna Summer version was the first version I heard. Great stuff! However I think the second half of the original Jon and Vangelis version is incredible. In fact the second half was turned into quite a nice 1992 single by Moodswings called "Spiritual High", sung by Chrissie Hynde (with the M.L.K. "Freedom" speech incorporated).

Someone should've mentioned Extreme's More Than Words by now.

Oops...forgot about that one. I know I left a bunch of songs off my list.

Here are mine, in no particular order...

Vehicle - Ides of March

Spinning Wheel - Blood, Sweat and Tears

Scenes from an Italian Restaurant - Billy Joel

The Entertainer - Billy Joel

Big Shot - Billy Joel

My Life - Billy Joel (do you notice a pattern here?)

You May Be Right - Billy Joel

Big Man on Mulberry Street - Billy Joel

Angry Young Man - Billy Joel

River of Dreams - Billy Joel

We Didn't Start the Fire - Billy Joel

I Go To Extremes - Billy Joel

....I like Billy Joel...so sue me!

25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago

Oh, Blackwater - Dooby Bros.

Cocaine - Eric Clapton

Moondance - Van Morrison

Blue Money - Van Morrison

I could go on....but think that's enough. You gotta admit, it's eclectic

All that Billy Joel but no "Uptown Girl"?

No, no Uptown Girl. For me, that song was like My Heart Will Go On - once I heard it, I never really needed to hear it again.

Besides, I'm still ticked at Christy Brinkley for the divorce. :)

Although I was born in 75, I mainly like my pop songs oldies and crooners:

Walkin' After Midnight - Patsy Kline

Cha Cha Cha D'Amore - Dean Martin

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes - The Platters

Workin for the Man - Roy Orbison

Return to Sender - Elvis

And of course, nostalgic 80's british or synth pop fare like:

Take on me

Whip it

Safety Dance

Owner of a Lonely Heart

Ghostbusters/I Want a new Drug

For pop songs, almost nothing from the 90's or 00's has done anything for me, and I am not a fan of "classic rock". I also don't collect any of this music really, it's just good when it comes on the radio. I have Patsy Kline, Roy Orbison, Elvis and Dean Martin on mp3 or used $2 vinyl.

Melody in pop music died in the 1950's.

Tell that to the 1980's

They'd belong on my list as well :P

I really like "If you leave" of course. Weepy, cheesy, but good emotional music for that "first love" sort of feeling.