Will John Williams get an Oscar nomination for Indiana Jones 4?

indy4

Every single JW Indy score has been nominated for an Oscar so far, but none have won.

I'm predicting that JW gets nominated, but doesn't win. But I'd love for him to win!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No ,most probably not.

One of the reason is that his music is mixed to low in the film to even be noticed,as usual.

;) ;) :lol:

No ,most probably not.

One of the reason is that his music is mixed to low in the film to even be noticed,as usual.

But I thought JW sends the Academy a promo CD of all the music, so they can listen to it uninterupted by the sound effects of the film?

you really think they listen to those things? All they remember is the piece of music that was the loudest and was kind of catchy when they saw the film

A nod would be nice, and it's more likely than a win. He might win for Lincoln.

THIS YEAR!!! ;)

I think he WILL be nominated, and if he doesn't score any other movie this year, chances are pretty good . . . FINALLY!!!

But then, the year's only half over.

you really think they listen to those things? All they remember is the piece of music that was the loudest and was kind of catchy when they saw the film

No, they look for artistically insightful aspects, such as typewriter clicks...

Considering the competition, he certainly could be nominated, but let's be reasonable. This isn't a score which should get an award...'outstanding achievement', it ain't.

John Williams gets nominated every year in which he composes a score. This has pretty much been the case since the 1970s. So, for the mere fact that 2008 has a Williams score, he is likely to get nominated if for no other reason than he has an eligible score this year. So, if KotCS remains his only score for '08, it may possibly be nominated.

We know that quality of music has nothing to do with who gets nominated and who wins. John Williams and Indiana Jones are both recognizable names and that's all that is needed, how it is mixed in the film is totally irrelevant. This is a Spielberg movie, the movie itself is a hit and will surely land some technical nominations like sound and visual effects, so a score nomination could be included. Spielberg and company will probably push for technical awards which includes the music.

Do I think it should be nominated? Hell no. Could it be? It's possible. If nominated, will it win? Not a chance.

I thought they just pick the dude with the funniest looking name?

No this score doesn't deserve an Oscar nomination even though it may end up being one of the top 10 scores composed this year.

If Williams receives another one it will be an honorary Oscar thanking him for his contributions to the art of film scoring.

The only way it'll get nominated is if Williams doesn't write another score this year, and then only because he's always nominated every year he writes something.

John Williams will never win another Oscar. If 2005 didn't prove that, nothing will. Unless, as Mark said, it's honorary.

Every single JW Indy score has been nominated for an Oscar so far, but none have won.

I'm predicting that JW gets nominated, but doesn't win. But I'd love for him to win!

It won't be nominated, as far as I believe. And if it's, it won't win.

The honorary Oscar is the we-didnt-give-you-a-real-Oscar award for people whose career are practically over. John has five of them, so he won't get an honorary one.

With all the honors he's received over the years I could see the Academy doing something for him.

But my point was that will probably be the only way he ever receives another Oscar.

Lincoln is his last chance. They'll give him the honorary Oscar when they think he's about to die, that's what they did for Ennio Morricone.

Only because Morricone never got a competitive one. Williams will not get an honorary Oscar.

Lincoln is his last chance. They'll give him the honorary Oscar when they think he's about to die, that's what they did for Ennio Morricone.

Lincoln wont win one, thats a f***ing joke to even think that. Amistad II Lincoln

now Tintin could, so could Intersteller, and we have know idea what 39 Clues could bring to the table.

I thought they just pick the dude with the funniest looking name?

Either way...

But why, oh why, didn't our beloved pixar rat movie get it? I guess the last name just couldn't make up for the uncreativity of 'Michael'.

But why, oh why, didn't our beloved pixar rat movie get it? I guess the last name just couldn't make up for the uncreativity of 'Michael'.

Because Dario Marianelli had a funnier name.

And the score to Ratatouille is booooooring.

Yeah, I can't believe a pretentious drama score beat an animated comedy score. When has that ever happened? It must be because of Marianelli's name!

I'd say it's pretty much bound to get a nomination, but I have no idea if it will win. Then again, there hasn't really been a stand out score yet this year, except for Cloverfield.

I hardly see how Cloverfield is a stand out score. It's a piece of music slapped on the End Credits of a film that everyone has already forgotten

Cloverfield's Roar is the best piece of film music composed in years and, dare I say it, better than anything in Indy 4. And I like Indy 4. Because of the film's style Giacchino only got the end credits to do anything, and he took full advantage of it.

Cloverfield's Roar is the best piece of film music composed in years and, dare I say it, better than anything in Indy 4. And I like Indy 4. Because of the film's style Giacchino only got the end credits to do anything, and he took full advantage of it.

It is a fantastic piece of music.

Roar is ok, its nicely done, but its not Oscar worthy, so lets not even go into that realm of unbelievability

I don't think anyone is saying it should win an oscar.

well quality really isn't the issue, its the lenght. but then that crappola for that overrated brokebore mountain one and it was all of what 10 minutes

I think these past few years have demonstrated the lack of good film music being nominated. I would guess this years Oscars will be no different, outside of perhaps Thomas Newman getting a nod.

Of course the fall and winter will bring the "best pictures" of the year.

But think about it. We got both 'Giacchino' AND 'Ratatouille'. That oughta put it at least on an even playing ground with 'Dario' (boring) 'Marianelli' (much better) in terms of funny names.

But think about it. We got both 'Giacchino' AND 'Ratatouille'. That oughta put it at least on an even playing ground with 'Dario' (boring) 'Marianelli' (much better) in terms of funny names.

Maybe a funny composer name AND a funny film title cancels each other out, and Michael is the only thing left. Gus had a funny last name, but NOT a funny film title. Perhaps.

If williams does not make any other movie this year, i hope Indy IV is nominated.

And seeing the crap that has received the award recently, i wouldnt mind Williams getting the award for IV, specially as a consolation price for the whole unawarded series.

Saying that cloverfield is better than the hole indy IV is a bad joke.

And i'm as big a Giacchino fan as the next man.

If Indy 4 wins for best score then that will be a slap in the face to film score fans and Williams.

I'm really not up on the current rules but it may not even be eligible for nomination with the use of the Raiders march, Marion's theme, the Grail theme and Map room music.

That 12 minute piece of Roar! has brought me more listening joy than 75 minutes of KOTCS.

If Indy 4 wins for best score then that will be a slap in the face to film score fans and Williams.

Nope.

Midnight express, Fame, Chariots of fire, Finding Neverland, Brokeback Mountain, Babel, Atonement....

And those are not just slap in the face but kicks in the groin.

I'm really not up on the current rules but it may not even be eligible for nomination with the use of the Raiders march, Marion's theme, the Grail theme and Map room music.

If they want to force a win, they do it. ROTK won.

That 12 minute piece of Roar! has brought me more listening joy than 75 minutes of KOTCS.

To each their own

No Luke it's an insult because Raiders or Temple Of doom should have won an Oscar if any IJ score was going to win.

ROTK had more original material in it and was very deserving of it's win.

No Luke it's an insult because Raiders or Temple Of doom should have won an Oscar if any IJ score was going to win.

ROTK had more original material in it and was very deserving of it's win.

You hate so much KOTCS that you dont want the academy to redeem themselves awarding it as a cosolation prize for the series. WOW. You even dont Consider Last Crusade. WOW WOW.

The main theme from ROTK appeared in FOTR and TTT, though the TTT version did not appear until after ROTK was released.

Furthermore ALL main themes from the trilogy appear in ROTK.

Its still my favorite score from the series, and deserved the Oscar more than FOTR.

But you seem to forget NO great Sequel from Williams has been awarded ever.

Oh please, Luke, by redeeming themselves they would be awarding a mediocre score an award it doesn't deserve.

No I don't consider LC a score that was worthy of taking home an Oscar, BOTFJ was the one Williams score that deserved to be nominated. In fact Danny Elfman was the one who got screwed over that year because Batman should have been nominated.

Maybe a funny composer name AND a funny film title cancels each other out, and Michael is the only thing left. Gus had a funny last name, but NOT a funny film title. Perhaps.

OK, that works for me.

You know, it sure is a good thing we have these awards to let us know what is worth our time and what is not.