Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

Since it's going to be Hans Zimmer anyway, I hope the score will be emotionally in the background, like with Batman. That way the music can't really hurt the film or the scenes itself. I hardly notice the music in the Batman trilogy. In those films, music simply isn't a part of my overall movie experience (at least, it doesn't jump out at me). It's much more dangerous if the music approaches the foreground and becomes the emotional narrator telling us what to feel.

Alex

I would agree if it were not for the incredibly intrusive score for the third film. Perhaps not emotionally intrusive, but it was so loud and often poorly scored that it took me out of the film experience a couple of times.

You know what's funny is that Koray predicted Zimmer would score the film in the second post of this thread, made almost 5 years ago!

When the first rumours of Zimmer's involvement came up (the ones he denied), it sounded too much like some JWFan April Fool's prank.

post of Hans Zimmer in VI forum about the trailer music:

(taken from FSM message board by a member there who posted it)

Re: Man of steel Trailer

Posted: Today at 6:05 pm

The music is actually from the score. A little bit recut - the tune is actually a bit longer in it's development. What you think of as synth sounds are 8 pedal steel guitars. Best organic pad sound yet The perc is the session I did at WB and Fox with 15 drummers:

JR Robinson

Jason Bonham

Josh Freese

Pharrell Williams

Danny Carey

Satnam Ramgotra

Toss Panos

Jim Keltner

Curt Bisquera

Trevor Lawrence Jr

Matt Chamberlain

Ryeland Allison

Sheila E

Bernie Dresel

Vinnie Colaiuta

with the amazing JunkieXL conducting (There is something to be said to get a drummer who is a star of EDM and knows how to get a crowd of twohundred thousand people dancing at his shows to liontame and energise this lot!)

But of course the real plus is the lack of sound effects...which gets us back to that other thread about dubbing music loudly

I'm glad you liked it!

-Hz-

Which forum is VI. Please link to the original post?

The opening theme in the trailer sounds like something I have heard before.

Is it this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsqiXASjVuU

Maybe not, but it sounds like something I have heard before.

And I didn't get the Superman "joke" in the interrogation scene. Why did he cut them off from saying Superman?

Before this trailer hit, I was predicting that they would not refer to Kal-El as "Superman" in this film. It's not in the title, and I don't think he'll be called Superman in the film either.

I think they think the name is as silly as red shorts, and they're pulling a Selina Kyle on us.

Which forum is VI. Please link to the original post?

a few posts after that, i linked to my thread about this (Zimmer's participation in a forum):

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22287&hl=%2Bzimmer+%2Bforum

here you can find all about it.

that quote is taken from FSM message board. I don't know where it is exactly in the vi forum.

Alexcremers,

I don't think anyone wants hyper-saturated and hyper-vibrant Alice in Wonderland colors. It's just the bronze, washed out, over-processed look is just getting tired. As fast as blue-orange is getting tiring. As fast as instagram is getting annoying.

Yep, Spielberg's effortless trend setting ways have got a lot to answer for.

Remember how many war movies came out in the years after Saving Private Ryan? Bloody loads! He even kickstarted an entire sub genre of first person shooter video games, which for years just refused to die.

Alexcremers,

I don't think anyone wants hyper-saturated and hyper-vibrant Alice in Wonderland colors. It's just the bronze, washed out, over-processed look is just getting tired. As fast as blue-orange is getting tiring. As fast as instagram is getting annoying.

Yes, it's clear, you want the Marvel look. I don't.

Se7en is also responsible for that gritty, dark look.

That's a wholly different aesthetic style, though. Saving Private Ryan spawned all this handheld hyper-realism we see in a lot of mainstream stuff today. Furthermore, gunfire and bullet ricochet suddenly started sounding like it had all been lifted directly from Saving Private Ryan's sample libraries.

Gotta blame Spielberg and Kaminski and Saving Private Ryan. ;)

Karol

MOS? Doesn't look anything like Kaminski. Based on the the trailer, I don't know to what I can compare it. It actually looks quite colorful to me, especially the Krypton imagery. Might be different when I see the Blu-ray on a big screen.

Altogether, I don't hear anything that breaks the Zimmer formula.

But, buut...it's in a MAJOR KEY THIS TIME!!!! No D minor! ;)

You sure?

Sounds like it to me (I mean minor).

Nope. C major to be precise. Who would have thought we'd see the day? :P

Anyways, here's a ripped copy of the track for anyone actually interested:

You know what's funny is that Koray predicted Zimmer would score the film in the second post of this thread, made almost 5 years ago!

That was a joke. Every one makes that joke with every new blockbuster announced. Koko was just lucky.

Read what Quint said. He's telling the true truth.

lol. I'll probably be the only one getting that joke. ;)

film makers today are afraid of natural colors,

sometimes color should be shown as it is and not used to portray a point of view.

sometimes color should be shown as it is and not used to portray a point of view.

Why?

I mean, why can't directors and photographers experiments with color, look, feel and mood? Or why must everything look the same, which is what some of you seem to want?

The opening theme in the trailer sounds like something I have heard before.

Look in some Zimmer score. I'm sure you'll find something similar sounding.

The music actually sounds a lot like what he did for the Oscars:

Why?

I mean, why can't directors and photographers experiments with color, look, feel and mood? Or why must everything look the same, which is what some of you seem to want?

Like Man Of Steel has something new to offer in terms of color grading? Like it doesn't look like many movies that came before it? Surely, you must be jesting!

Stupid iPad...

And a less crap-sounding version but with faint voices:

Imagine the London Philharmonic playing that instead of the synth mockup. It'd actually sound... stirring.

BLAME MY STUPID iPAD!!!

NO, I BLAME YOU FOR BUYING A STUPID IPAD!

NO, I BLAME YOU FOR NOT TELLING ME THIS EARLIER!!!

Stupid iPad...

And a less crap-sounding version but with faint voices:

Imagine the Royal Philharmonic playing that instead of the synth mockup. It'd actually sound... stirring.

A lot of Zimmer's music would sound better if Zimmer would lay off all the synth overlays. Mhmmm....Gladiator with real brass...

ENOUGH BLAMING FOR THE DAY!

OKAY!!!

Why?

Like Man Of Steel has something new to offer in terms of color grading? Like it doesn't look like many movies that came before it? Surely, you must be jesting!

What movies?

BTW, like there are no movies anymore with 'normal' colors, Surely, you must be jesting.

Personally, I find the look of MOS more appealing than the look of The Avengers.

After listening to the "isolated" trailer music, I must say........... the music is really bad.

I honestly gave it a fair chance, but it's just not music that does anything for me at all.

Why?

You so do not understand anything I say.

All I said was sometimes, which in English means some of the time but not all of the time.

Not every film needs to use a color palette as a means of expression. Sometimes the natural colors are the expression.

Kaminski as an example filters his colors all the time, the one time he allowed natural colors, Catch Me If You Can, resulted in a quite beautiful bit of cinematography. Sometimes it is nice to go outside on a bright and sunny day and see the beautiful colors.

The same can be said in a movie.

Life isn't always filtered.

A lot of Zimmer's music would sound better if Zimmer would lay off all the synth overlays. Mhmmm....Gladiator with real brass...

Yep. I'd love to hear Gladiator's score played by a real orchestra (yes, I know we have bits of it via the Prague Orchestra recordings...)

Mmmm....real orchestra...

homer.gif

WE GET IT KK, IT SOUNDS LIKE THE MUSIC HE DID FOR THE OSCARS!

Only to those sorts who say Star Wars "sounds the same as Superman".

just bitch slap those people.

WE GET IT KK, IT SOUNDS LIKE THE MUSIC HE DID FOR THE OSCARS!

Only to those sorts who say Star Wars "sounds the same as Superman".

Well, they`re both different. But stylistically they`re similar. Judging by chord progressions, some of the rhythms, and the whole theme itself bears great resemblance. It`s not entirely absurd to suggest that that could have been a point of inspiration.

I`m talking about Superman and the Oscar music, not SW and Superman.

Everything you to allude to, the comparisons you make, it's just the RC MV style in general and heard in some shape or form in literally everything they do. Whether it's a signature or a collective deficiency is up to you.

I lean toward the latter.

Why?

You so do not understand anything I say.

All I said was sometimes, which in English means some of the time but not all of the time.

Not every film needs to use a color palette as a means of expression. Sometimes the natural colors are the expression.

Kaminski as an example filters his colors all the time, the one time he allowed natural colors, Catch Me If You Can, resulted in a quite beautiful bit of cinematography. Sometimes it is nice to go outside on a bright and sunny day and see the beautiful colors.

The same can be said in a movie.

Life isn't always filtered.

Not every film needs so-called natural colors. Movies aren't life.

Everything you to allude to, the comparisons you make, it's just the RC MV style in general and heard in some shape or form in literally everything they do. Whether it's a signature or a collective deficiency is up to you.

I lean toward the latter.

Well all I'm saying is that this new Superman music sounds more similar to that than his usual RC stuff.

It basically sounds like the good 'ole Faltermeyer sound of the 80's.

Translate that into whatever 'inspirational' scenes this movie may offer and ask yourself how many hours of formless underscore rumbling will remain. The whole notion that Zimmer somehow has learned to write a coherent 2-hour score with thought-out musical structures is ridiculous beyond belief.

BTW, like there are no movies anymore with 'normal' colors, Surely, you must be jesting.

What about these random Malick movies shot entirely with natural light?

I'd love to see some sort of epic or sci-fi film that looked like that.

But everything DOES look the same. Not in a good way though.