Intrada's Sept. 23rd Release, Something Special?

Ollie

I prefer complete and chronological scores if even just for the fact that it is the composer's complete intended work. Having an incomplete score is like leaving the scherzo out of a Haydn symphony - maybe not that dramatic - but it's just as bad!

Exactly, the good scores are written to almost be their own story, with logical thematic and dramatic development. Messing with that is like putting in a DVD and just skipping around to random chapters.

Amen to that.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know everyone's consumed with Indy at the moment, but I just received my Boys from Brazil in the mail and I want to talk about it!

Has anyone else got theirs? Is this your first time hearing it, or were you already familiar with it? What are the absolute highlights? Any similarities to other late-70's Goldsmith scores? I'm hearing traces of the Masada melody...I think...

Anyway, I'd only heard a rerecording of the waltz previously, and I'm diggin' the score! Anyone else?

As far as I know, SAE haven't even shipped mine yet. As happy as I am with their service, they've not been the fastest lately.

I've seen the film once, I have a hardly played LD rip of the score somewhere, and I've heard the waltz in concert (twice I believe). I don't recall anything besides the waltz.

Got mine today and am listening to it now. I'll weigh in with a review later. But the waltz is only a single dimension to this brilliant score.

Yeah that's been rumored since someone had posted that info on Chris Young's website several months ago. The clue fits but they can fool you as well.

LaLaLand also has a 2 disc release scheduled for October 31th that promises to please many people, according to LaLaLand. But they also said the same thing about the Outer Limits set, which was very nice but not something that I wanted.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cf...7&archive=0

Yeah that's been rumored since someone had posted that info on Chris Young's website several months ago. The clue fits but they can fool you as well.

LaLaLand also has a 2 disc release scheduled for October 31th that promises to please many people, according to LaLaLand. But they also said the same thing about the Outer Limits set, which was very nice but not something that I wanted.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cf...7&archive=0

Species eh? How is that score?

If it's Independence Day I'll snatch it up big time, hopefully it's a high limited release (like 5,000 units) so it doesn't quite sell out in a 3 hour period or something like that. Either way I'll be watching next week. :blink: Is there a new Intrada this week?

Edit: Has anyone thought it maybe Spider-Man 3?

It's a legitmate possibility.

I'd consider ID4, although to be honest it would have to be complete. Not these half-assed 'expansions' that still leave good stuff off. SM:3 would be an instant purchase, complete or not.

I'm not familiar with Species outside of the cues from the promo that just repeat the main theme over and over. What's the rest of the score like anyone?

It's a legitmate possibility.

I'd consider ID4, although to be honest it would have to be complete. Not these half-assed 'expansions' that still leave good stuff off. SM:3 would be an instant purchase, complete or not.

I'm not familiar with Species outside of the cues from the promo that just repeat the main theme over and over. What's the rest of the score like anyone?

If it is ID-4, I'm sure LaLa Land wouldn't give us a "half-assed" expanded edition. I'm sure it would be 100% complete like Godzilla is.

It won't be ID4.

That's already been shot down by LaLaLand over at FSM. The rights still belong to RCA / BMG.

Hmmm, wonder what it could be then. A 2-CD set that many have requested, maybe it will be Spider-Man 3?

It won't be ID4.

That's already been shot down by LaLaLand over at FSM. The rights still belong to RCA / BMG.

Hmmm, wonder what it could be then. A 2-CD set that many have requested, maybe it will be Spider-Man 3?

Yeah, but I'm wondering what these so called legal/financial issues cited by some were, that prevented it being released initially. Would they just magically be sorted out?

Don't get me wrong, I'd be overjoyed if it was, I'm just cynical about the industry with this one.

Plus you have to look at what LaLaLand releases and that should give you an idea. Although they do spring a suprise every now and then.

If they can release the Chipmunks Movie score and make money, I don't think most of our requests are too much to ask...

Indeed but like you pointed out earlier and I sorta forgot that legal issues is the reason why Sony couldn't release a score OST for Spider-Man 3. Then again companies like LaLa Land, Intrada, Varese and FSM have released some amazing stuff over the last few years that I'm sure a lot of us thought would never get released.

ID4 will most likely never come out by any other record company except for the one that initially released it since they have the rights in perp. So, no, do not expect it from us at the end of the month.

MV

"In perp" - doesn't that mean they are perpetually owned by RCA?

Classic catch 22 situation - hold onto the rights so no one else can make money from it, but can't be bothered to do it yourself until 2099...

Grr.

Why do they hold rights to things if they're not going to try and profit from them?

On a side note, Sony doesn't hold perpetual rights to the Star Wars prequels, do they?

I believe ID4 may have been a good selling album for RCA. So who knows, perhaps they want to do something themselves as far as releasing an expanded album. Plus I don't know if the album is out of print yet although I still see it in stores.

Classic catch 22 situation - hold onto the rights so no one else can make money from it, but can't be bothered to do it yourself until 2099...

It's a pretty good strategy in Monopoly. Hold onto 2/3 of a monopoly just so nobody else can build hotels and screw you into the ground, if you don't have the cash or gumption yourself to develop that property into something special.

• 2 weeks later...

Note to MissPadmé: There actually is a direct Strauss quote in Boys from Brazil. I've only listened to the score once yet, but I just noticed it in the album version of Frau Doring: A short violin snippet, I believe from Le bourgeois gentilhomme, though I'm not 100% sure that's the source. :rolleyes: