Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

I'm actually very fussy about the aesthetic appeal of my DVD/BD collection. They must have a uniform look!

I remember getting cranky when they announced that they were making Indy 4 because I knew it would look out of place in my DVD collection because it wouldn't fit in the 2003 box.

Yes, we have Blokker. We have Zeeman, Blokker, Kruidvat, Hema, Albert Heijn, C&A, P&C, ... We have been completely occupied by the Dutch!

Delhaize ... that's about it, I think. Besides the Dutch stores, we also have many German ones, usually big grocery stores like Makro, Lidl, Edi, Aldi, ... More specialized in electronics and software (film & music), we have FNAC (France) and Media Markt (Germany). Saturn (Media Markt) is out of business here. Come to think of it, Vanden Borre is a big Belgian electronics chain store.

Never heard of Delhaize.

It's pretty huge ... they even own chain stores in the Americas (Food Lion, Bottom Dollar Food, Harveys, Hannaford, Sweetbay, ...).

K3 and Goedele Liekens are the only Belgian things i know

Never heard of the contraceptive pill? ;) The world owes us!

I picked up a 3-pack a year or two ago, that had Goonies, Gremlins, and Gremlins 2 all in one case. I think it was $8 at Wal*Mart on Black Friday or something. Awesome purchase.

Bloody hell! Amazon US is selling Gravity for $12.99, 64% off!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H83EUL2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397578984&sr=8-1

If this came with the "no score" option, I'd buy in a heartbeat! (It's still double what I like to pay for blus)

~

You can also currently get all 8 Harry Potter films for a total of $46.28 on blu, which is $5.79 per film and is lower than the lowest price the 8-disc collection has been (This one, which is currently at $62.99 [$7.87 per film] and has been $46.99 at it's lowest)

Anyways, to get them all for $46.28, you have to buy four 2-packs:

Films 1 and 2 ($7.99)
Films 3 and 4 ($7.99)

Films 5 and 6 ($12.96)

Films 7 and 8 ($17.34)

I have a 3D capable blu-ray player, but not a 3D TV. I doubt I would ever buy one either. I have a feeling that the type of films that I loved in 3D (namely Avatar and Gravity) would only work in a theater experience. Home 3D movie watching just doesn't seem like it would translate, and my reaction would be significantly lessened to the point of not being worth it.

The last blu-ray I purchased was the uncut/director's cut of Taken. It was in the $7.99 bin!

As I'm sure many know, I'm harsh critic of 3D. My new TV is 3D and came with two pairs of glasses so I have the set-up by default. I'm curious to see how it translates to a home viewing experience, though I tried it with video games once and couldn't seem to get it to work. We'll see how this goes.

Must scour the net for the 3-disc blu-ray steelbook edition of PROMETHEUS. Must....get....................

Whaaa? Hitch is back? And chooses this discussion to return to!

Welcome back Hitchy!

Thanks. Yes it's been too long and I kinda miss you guys. It can't be 2001 again but let's get blade running to 2019 ;)

For anyone that's interested, the new remastered version of Robocop on Blu is available for $5 currently on Amazon. Just picked it up after hearing great things about the new transfer.

For anyone that's interested, the new remastered version of Robocop on Blu is available for $5 currently on Amazon. Just picked it up after hearing great things about the new transfer.

There's a trilogy coming up including the remastered version.

I might pick that, although I haven't seen 3, and all say that it's one of the worst films they've seen.

That sounds awful!

Are you the sort of person who hates it when the spines of the blu ray for a new Bond doesnt match the previous films?

Thankfully the BD box for Bond had an extra space for Skyfall. But what about future Bond films??

That sounds awful!

Are you the sort of person who hates it when the spines of the blu ray for a new Bond doesnt match the previous films?

Thankfully the BD box for Bond had an extra space for Skyfall. But what about future Bond films??

yes, they should have included 10 extra spaces for the next 10 Bond films! :mrgreen:

Well, I guess the box will be re-released every time with an extra place added for the fans to buy again.. and again... and again... and again... and again..

Has anyone seen The leopard?

It seems like a film I would like (period, lush, epic) and I was wondering if it would be worth a blind buy!

The thing I'm not happy about though is that it's dubbed.

Never buy dubbed!

yes, i know, but there is no other version of the film.*

it includes a multi-nationalities cast (American, French, Italian) and it was presented in the Italian language.

*there is though an American cut, that features Lancaster's own voice, but all the rest are still dubbed.

Unless it's animated I am unable to listen to overdub. I once lent a copy of Oldboy to a friend and when we were talking about it he mentioned the main actor was a bit distracting because he sounded like Adam West. I had no idea what he was talking about then realized he had listed to the English dub. I told him to go back and watch it again in the native Korean and he enjoyed it a lot more.

Surrogate acting usually doesn't work.

Multinational movies are usually not very good.

This is considered a masterpiece.

I thought you would have seen it.

it's also one of Scorsese's favourites:

“I live with this movie every day of my life,” Martin Scorsese recently said of The Leopard (1963), a film he routinely includes in lists of his five or 10 favourites.

Alex

The angelic music of Wiliams is almost in contrast with the images. Empire Of The Sun is really an 'environment' film.

The scenes of Jim beholding the airplanes. The way they are shot, the gorgeous choral passages of John Williams score!

EOTS contains some of Spielberg's most stirring shots. Real goosebump stuff.

Has anyone seen The leopard?

It seems like a film I would like (period, lush, epic) and I was wondering if it would be worth a blind buy!

It has a fantastic score. I've only seen the beginning once, long ago. Always meant to catch up with it someday. Don't remember a thing.

It's a poorly written comedy with no likable characters

I watched the first 4 or 5 seasons as my "on the treadmill" show and even in that state I couldn't be bothered to finish it.

And a Williams-scored film to add to your collection for $6

The Patriot

I can't understand why some films have only the director's cut released in Bluray (eg. Amadeus too).

The director's cut should be a bonus feature, a bonus disc or something, not the main Bluray release!

It's the studio being too lazy to pay for encoding both version of the film on one disc with seamless branching.

Whatever. $15 is my limit for newer releases. Once it hits that point I don't mind much. I simply look at it as going to the movies. Didn't see either in the theater and I would have paid more if I took my girlfriend.