Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

Why would it matter? Clearly since many people don't care about BluRay (and SO MANY people I know alarmingly still think DVD looks completely fine in comparison), why would anyone now care about 4K if they already aren't blown away by the BluRay difference? I wish people would be, but I don't see it catching on at this point with the general consumer.

Destroy All Monsters is coming this summer for those that missed it the first time.

Like me.

Why would it matter? Clearly since many people don't care about BluRay (and SO MANY people I know alarmingly still think DVD looks completely fine in comparison), why would anyone now care about 4K if they already aren't blown away by the BluRay difference? I wish people would be, but I don't see it catching on at this point with the general consumer.

I was just asking a question. Was curious.

Not a Blu-Ray set, but Amazon has the Looney Tunes Golden Collection 1-6 (24 DVDs) on sale again for $48.49. I tried to buy this when it was a hot seller at Amazon UK and they cancelled my purchase, but this time, it shall be mine! Yay!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NFJAQC/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

Thanks to That Neil Guy over at FSM for pointing it out!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still holding out for them to update the director's cut of TMP on Blu-ray. Until then, no dice.

Sent from my XT1058

You might be waiting a long time then. The company who did the visual effects of the Director's Cut for TMP did them at a low rate I think like 480 i or p instead of something like 1080. They would have to redo the effects from scratch.

I'm a patient man. I have my DVD if I need to watch it; it's been a long time since I was so bored I needed to watch TMP as a pick me up.

Sent from my XT1058

I'm still holding out for them to update the director's cut of TMP on Blu-ray. Until then, no dice.

And the extended cut of Khan. Although ironically that's the one pre-reboot film I do have on Blu...

That's not irony.

On this aspect, the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) has also:

A condition of affairs or events of a character opposite to what was, or might naturally be, expected; a contradictory outcome of events as if in mockery of the promise and fitness of things. (In French ironie du sort.)[8]

Khan is the only classic Trek I have on Blu even though it is the shorter cut, when I usually would skip that release and wait for a better one (as I have done on numerous occasions).

I believe "irony" is correct.

One of the most beautiful films I've ever seen (every shot looks like a painting), gets the treatment it deserves!

Pathe's new 4K restoration of Patrice Chereau's La Reine Margot is stunning. In fact, I would argue that it is likely the best restoration to emerge from France since the high-definition format was launched. As far as I am concerned, at this point it is undoubtedly a prime contender for Blu-ray release of the year. Bravo Pathe!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/La-Reine-Margot-Blu-ray/96881/#Review

9974_21.jpg

Oh, well. I just purchased a few days ago something from amazon, but this now is tempting again!!

Planet of the Apes 5 film collection:

$19.99!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Planet-of-the-Apes-5-Film-Collection-Blu-ray/ref=%26%2574%2561g%3d%2562l%2575r%2561y%252d076%252d20?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluray-076-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B005FHWWXQ&ASIN=B005FHWWXQ&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Too bad it doesn't come with the TV show seasons as well. I like that it doesn't include the reboots, though.

Too bad it doesn't come with the TV show seasons as well. I like that it doesn't include the reboots, though.

I like that too!!

Now, if only the Superman Box, didn't include the last film (Superman Returns) too!

Why? If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Well, i have a thing with my Blurays.. (OCD maybe?)

if I don't want a movie, I don't want it to be there in the Bluray boxset I buy.. Even if they gave it to me for free..

I don't like that I'm compelled to have this too, to get the other films.

I had to buy Aliens and Alien3 when I bought Alien on Blu-ray. They only came as separate releases a few months later. However, I could live with it, because it was only 30 Euro. I could sell it and buy the standalone of Alien but I don't want to.

I had to buy Aliens and Alien3 when I bought Alien on Blu-ray. They only came as separate releases a few months later. However, I could live with it, because it was only 30 Euro. I could sell it and buy the standalone of Alien but I don't want to.

I'm thinking of buying the Die Hard Trilogy as individual releases..

I don't like again that I'm compelled to have the 4th film.

I haven't seen it, but I'd like it to be an only old classic Die Hard films box.

I begrudgingly bought a Die Hard box set containing films 1-4 because it was dirt cheap and I don't think they'll ever make a BD box set with just the first 3 films. I still have my DVD box set of the first 3...

I begrudgingly bought a Die Hard box set containing films 1-4 because it was dirt cheap and I don't think they'll ever make a BD box set with just the first 3 films.

You mean you have seen the 4th film and didn't like it, so you didn't want it to be included in the boxset?

Many times also, i feel that a film is not a part of a series of films, that's why I don't want to buy it.

Eg. I don't feel that Terminator 3 or Terminator Salvation are part of the Terminator films (1 & 2). I see them as something else.

I feel the same about Superman Returns (although I haven't seen it too), Die Hard 4 and I don't know how many films there were after that, Rambo 4, Jurassic Park 3 (although I admit I have the trilogy boxset but I don't like it) etc..

I also would love if there was a Bond box that stopped with the 80s films..

You have to weigh your options when buying a box set. Does the boxset contain what you want at a good price (including bonus materials). For example, I would never buy the Alien Anthology blu since 50% is meaningless to me. But I would also buy the Die Hard set because I like 75% of the movies and the pricing makes sense to do it that way instead of buying individually.

filmmusic, I saw the 4th DH film in theaters and it was a giant pile of shit. I never saw the fifth one. As far as I'm concerned, there are only 3 Die Hard movies!

You have to weigh your options when buying a box set. Does the boxset contain what you want at a good price (including bonus materials). For example, I would never buy the Alien Anthology blu since 50% is meaningless to me. But I would also buy the Die Hard set because I like 75% of the movies and the pricing makes sense to do it that way instead of buying individually.

Yes, but as i've said it's like having an OCD about it.

If the Die Hard Quadrilogy is $10, and the individual first 3 films are $30 in total, I still would buy I guess the individual films! :biglaugh:

I think it's bad PR for studios to disregard the black sheep titles in franchise box sets unless they can legitimately define a logical connection. As far as a business decision, it's probably a wash either way, but they've got no real reason to sweep the maligned titles under the rug, as they greedily want their ROI.

Would a future Indy box set disregard the fourth movie even though everyone hates it? Not likely.

Would a future Star Trek box set be only the even numbered, supposedly the only good ones? Not likely. They could release a dedicated box set marketed as the Genesis Trilogy, but as soon as they include VI, they're obligated to include TMP and V. At the very least, they have divided the franchise between TNG and classic casts, but also just released the complete film franchise to date.

I also own the Die Hard trilogy on DVD but have no obligation to upgrade. I did goof by getting the Lethal Weapon trilogy DVD set before seeing the foursome at Walmart; no upgrade is on my agenda.

I am satisfied with the Alien Anthology Blu-ray set because $20 for the attractive box was a steal. And I don't hate 3 and 4.

The first three are definitely entertaining. The third one isn't quite as successful, but still a watchable popcorn flick. My favorite is the second, which I'm generally alone on, but if you can't bring yourself to at least enjoy the first one then you better check your testicles.

Die Hard is the quintessential action film by which all films after fail.

Sorry if this has been posted before somehwere, but I just saw that a movie I have been waiting for for some time is finally getting a release on blu ray: Congo (please don't laugh at me ;-)). And, as expected, it's going to be dirt cheap. Anyone else here who likes the movie (if only for the campyness of it)?

Must be a nostalgia thing for me in part; it was one of the first movies I saw in the theater (didn't do that very often back then). Plus, I have always been a fan of treasure hunting movies...