What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I feel bad for Hayden Christensen. The films started and ended his career, which is a shame, because I saw him in another film and his performance was brilliant.

You mean Shattered Glass? Because he was shockingly good in that.

Perhaps, but he's by no means a good actor. You've got the crappy prequels and Jumper, and then Shattered Glass somewhere thrown in that mess.

So you have two conclusions:

A: You have an actor who isn't very good.

B: You have a director(s) who aren't very good at directing actors.

It's unfortunate most people immediately go for the first one. And Hayden Christensen is by no means the worst actor in the prequels, he just has the most screen time. As a young inexperienced actor brought into two films full of great actors who can't seem to give any kind of decent performance (save perhaps McGregor, McDiarmid and Smits), it's amazing people just solely blame him, instead of thinking about what might be the real root of the problem: George Lucas.

The Dark Knight

Again. After ten viewings it still doesn't bore me one bit. Having said that, DVD extras are poor, to say the least. Batman Begins received a much better treatment. All this talk about IMAX is interesting, but I would like to see something about story development, editing or creating of Two- Face CG make-up. It would have been a much more balanced expierence. As such, it is really disappointing release.

Karol

The Dark Knight

Again. After ten viewings it still doesn't bore me one bit. Having said that, DVD extras are poor, to say the least. Batman Begins received a much better treatment. All this talk about IMAX is interesting, but I would like to see something about story development, editing or creating of Two- Face CG make-up. It would have been a much more balanced expierence. As such, it is really disappointing release.

Karol

If you want to know about the CG work, the last issue of Cinefex magazine has some really good stuff on it.

My assumption is that this DVD release is just a precursor to many others with better extras, packaging, etc. With as popular as TDK is I'd expect that type of marketing.

Nolan's going to be recording a live commentary for TDK that I assume will be available for download on the Blu-ray for it's BD Live feature

It's unfortunate most people immediately go for the first one. And Hayden Christensen is by no means the worst actor in the prequels, he just has the most screen time. As a young inexperienced actor brought into two films full of great actors who can't seem to give any kind of decent performance (save perhaps McGregor, McDiarmid and Smits), it's amazing people just solely blame him, instead of thinking about what might be the real root of the problem: George Lucas.

George Lucas is the root of all evil.

Nolan's going to be recording a live commentary for TDK that I assume will be available for download on the Blu-ray for it's BD Live feature

Very interesting.

George Lucas is the root of all evil.

I saw a scene of Factory Girl on HBO earlier this week. Christensen is playing Bob Dylan in that movie, and he appeared to be doing an extremely capable job of it. Well enough that I now actually want to see the movie.

I saw a scene of Factory Girl on HBO earlier this week. Christensen is playing Bob Dylan in that movie, and he appeared to be doing an extremely capable job of it. Well enough that I now actually want to see the movie.

:P I've gotta see this.

Some details that came out of the screening Nolan did

on December 18th, Chris Nolan is doing a live commentary with 100,000 Dark Knight Blu-ray owners. He will host the screening and answer questions as it goes on.
-If he made a third film, it would be for no reason but the continuation of story. He is currently looking into where the story would go and if it needs to go there. He maintained that it's very hard to make a movie of this scale (and specified he wasn't asking for our sympathy, drawing a laugh from the crowd) - it's two hard years and you gotta love it. One of his biggest fears is getting halfway through making a film and realizing it's unnecessary and he doesn't want to make it anymore. If there is a third story that needs to be told, there will be a third film, but nothing is set in stone or a given.
-There is no 3 hour cut anywhere - no deleted scenes. He, John Nolan & David Goyer would cut scenes before they ever made it to the screen in what Nolan calls an "aggressive editorial approach." Their criteria was that every scene needs three reasons to be in the film or it's out. This made for a difficult time in the editing suite as every single scene was essential and could not be removed.
-The music ended up playing a huge role in pacing and storytelling
-The videos shot by the Joker were in fact shot and mostly directed by Heath Ledger. For the first video, Wally Pfister came in and checked the lights, the sound guys set up a few extra mics, everyone hid around the corner and they let Heath play. Ledger had been planning to direct and was an incredible collaborator with a great mind. Nolan trusted him implicitly. Ledger's work on the first video was so fantastic that Nolan wasn't even there for the second video shoot with Anthony Michael Hall. He gave Ledger the camera and said "do whatever you want." Apparently every take Ledger did was different, but always in line with the story and always fantastic.

He doesn't exactly play Bob Dylan, nevertheless it came off as wooden to me (like most of what he does). Sienna Miller on the other hand really impressed me.

Sounds like some really great stuff came out of that commentary.

He doesn't exactly play Bob Dylan, nevertheless it came off as wooden to me (like most of what he does). Sienna Miller on the other hand really impressed me.

Sounds like some really great stuff came out of that commentary.

I didn't see much of it -- just enough to pique my interest. But I saw enough to know that no matter what his character's name is, he's playing Bob Dylan.

Into The Wild: Fantastic film that would've been even more fantastic if it didn't use those terrible Eddie Vedder songs (the rest of the music is fine). The film works like an emotional crescendo for me. It took me while before I started to like it (probably due to the non-chronological timeline) but the longer I watched, the more it sucked me in. It was only at the end that I realized the story is based on a real person.

alexs.jpg

Alex

Into The Wild: Fantastic film that would've been even more fantastic if it didn't use those terrible Eddie Vedder songs (the rest of the music is fine). The film works like an emotional crescendo for me. It took me while before I started to like it (probably due to the non-chronological timeline) but the longer I watched, the more it sucked me in. It was only at the end that I realized the story is based on a real person.

I loved the film. I thought that while the lyrics to the songs were rather insipid, his voice and sound worked well for the movie.

Hm, given a choice between Eddie Vedder or John Denver singing while standing on top of a mountain, I think I go for the latter ;) . Heck, it would've been appropriate for the film too!

Alex - Sunshine on my shoulder makes me happy ... :lol:

Into The Wild had quite a profound effect on me. I loved it.

Pineapple Express

Brilliant, fantastic fun! A comedy brimming with ideas and quirky characters. The script was just superb. It gets daft towards the end, but I didn't care and I loved it all. I've never known a movie with so many wonderfully drawn supporting characters, just hilarious from start to finish. I'm buying it asap. 5/5.

They Call Me Bruce. Once the novelty of seeing Bruce Campbell play a sorry version of himself wears off, one quickly finds that there is nothing else to be found in the 'movie'. Move along... A terrible 0/5.

Pineapple Express

Brilliant, fantastic fun! A comedy brimming with ideas and quirky characters. The script was just superb. It gets daft towards the end, but I didn't care and I loved it all. I've never known a movie with so many wonderfully drawn supporting characters, just hilarious from start to finish. I'm buying it asap. 5/5.

They Call Me Bruce. Once the novelty of seeing Bruce Campbell play a sorry version of himself wears off, one quickly finds that there is nothing else to be found in the 'movie'. Move along... A terrible 0/5.

I didn't love Pineapple Express that much. It was a let down for me, maybe because I watched the trailers too much.

Also, isn't it called My Name Is Bruce? I thought it would interesting, but then I saw the trailer and it looked downright awful.

Pineapple Express

I didn't love Pineapple Express that much. It was a let down for me, maybe because I watched the trailers too much.

Also, isn't it called My Name Is Bruce? I thought it would interesting, but then I saw the trailer and it looked downright awful.

The fact that I quoted the title of the movie wrong says everything that needs to be said.

I watched Octopussy and For your eyes only yesterday...my favorite Roger Moore Bond movies

:spiny:

Thought you would agree ;) ; However, I was thinking, isn't it amazing how Bond manages to put on the full Clown's costume and elaborate make-up (seen in your Avatar) in less than 2 minutes; 5 minutes before the atomic bomb is set to explode? Only Bond can do things like that... :P

Transformers: The first 20 or 30 minutes are fairly enjoyable. The film is better without the transformers transforming into their true shape. Even though the CGI is impressive, the action scenes between the good and the bad robots lack dramatic impact. It is especially their dialogue that is stupid.

Alex

Transformers: The first 20 or 30 minutes are fairly enjoyable. The film is better without the transformers transforming into their true shape. Even though the CGI is impressive, the action scenes between the good and the bad robots lack dramatic impact. It is especially their dialogue that is stupid.

Alex

And the fact that you can't tell what the hell's going on during the action scenes.

Alex

And the fact that you can't tell what the hell's going on during the action scenes.

That's not true. Quantum Of Solace and even Bourne are much worse in their shaky cam and editing than Transformers. I'm the opposite of Alex, I enjoy the last 20-30 minutes. Probably the best CGI I've ever seen, and on Blu-ray it's fantastic.

The action scenes were boring. Very boring. The first half or third of the film were fun. The CGI is unbelievably boring after a certain point, at which time the film wants you to be entertained solely by cool CGI kicking other cool CGI's butt. I am so not looking forward to the sequel.

The action scenes were boring. Very boring. The first half or third of the film were fun.

Indeed, things were still fine when it was just LaBeouf, the girl and the yellow car. Good CGI or Blu-ray doesn't make for good action scenes. Megatron's infantile dialog made matters even worse. The only people that are likely to get a kick out of this mess are HT fans, certainly not film fans.

Alex

The CGI is fantastic but that can't carry the film.

The first hour is pretty good, you can feel Spielberg's influence. However the second half becomes a typical Bay crapfest, plus there are times when it's impossible to follow the action because he can't hold the damn camera still for more than 2 seconds.

Is the dialog from Transformers bad in a "this was made in 2007, I demand more sophisticated film dialog" way, or "this movie is trying to channel the awesomely corny dialog and juvenile appeal of a mid 1980s cartoon series translated directly to the big screen"?

The action scenes were boring. Very boring. The first half or third of the film were fun.

Indeed, things were still fine when it was just LaBeouf, the girl and the yellow car. Good CGI or Blu-ray doesn't make for good action scenes. Megatron's infantile dialog made matters even worse. The only people that are likely to get a kick out of this mess are HT fans, certainly not film fans.

Alex

Well I'm a film fan, and I got a kick out of the that "mess."

Is the dialog from Transformers bad in a "this was made in 2007, I demand more sophisticated film dialog" way, or "this movie is trying to channel the awesomely corny dialog and juvenile appeal of a mid 1980s cartoon series translated directly to the big screen"?

It was average dialogue, I don't remember too much. Plus at times it was hard to understand what the robots were saying, aside from Optimus Prime.

The first hour is pretty good, you can feel Spielberg's influence. However the second half becomes a typical Bay crapfest, plus there are times when it's impossible to follow the action because he can't hold the damn camera still for more than 2 seconds.

Somehow the human characters from the first hour become empty shells in favor for mindless action, countless explosions and subwoofer tremblings. A shaky camera can work but only in the hands of a good director.

Alex

I agree about the first half of the film. Surprisingly, the best parts for me were the comedy, which was actually pretty funny most of the time. The action was terrible. And it got annoying to keep seeing lights flashing straight into the camera.

TRANSFORMERS was fun in the cinema, but awful when I saw it the second time. The characters are horrific, the acting terrible, the editing was like someone just threw the film into a blender and stuck the strips together randomly, and the music was dunderheaded. The CGI was the only saving grace, but it can't save the film from being a train-wreck. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I demand more from my toy-based giant robot movie!

Oh, and the writing. Orzi and Kurtzman, this is why I'm scared of the new Trek flick.

"Men In Black". Since we are on the topic of Steven Spielberg-produced films....

I have never watched this film completely in one sitting. I invariably catch the first hour or the last hour. In this case, it was the latter. I really like Tommy Lee Jones, but I had to "warm up" to Will Smith; I never liked him in his extremely cocky roles.

I was very impressed by the score, which I never listened to before.

one can hear what would later become Danny Elfman's style for the Spider-Man films and beyond, for better or worse (most people would choose the latter).

Ultimately, I enjoyed the film for its "tongue-in-cheek" approach to conspiracy theories, and it was a lot of fun.

but the younger generation loves that, otherwise they get bored.

Imagine a film sequence composed of one shot that last over 4 minutes, anyone under 30 would zone out.

"Men In Black". Since we are on the topic of Steven Spielberg-produced films....

I have never watched this film completely in one sitting. I invariably catch the first hour or the last hour. In this case, it was the latter. I really like Tommy Lee Jones, but I had to "warm up" to Will Smith; I never liked him in his extremely cocky roles.

I was very impressed by the score, which I never listened to before.

one can hear what would later become Danny Elfman's style for the Spider-Man films and beyond, for better or worse (most people would choose the latter).

Ultimately, I enjoyed the film for its "tongue-in-cheek" approach to conspiracy theories, and it was a lot of fun.

Very fun movie. I like the comedy, like the bits of pathos (though that may be too strong a word). Smith is good, Jones is perfect, Rip Torn is fun, good makeup, decent score with a fantastic main title.

Saw Bolt. Enjoyed it a whole lot more than I thought I would. A lot of it is me being a dog person...they got the nuances perfectly. Can't say I dug the story, but it had enough small pleasures to keep me entertained throughout. The hamster was brilliant. Score was fun, too. And why is it that some of the most entertaining action scenes this year were in animated movies? The opening of the film was very fun, and still the best action scenes I've seen this year were in Kung-Fu Panda.

I'm currently in the middle of a Neil Jordan kind of marathon (not seeing the films back to back, but three movies in a row will be Jordan movies). Enjoyed the first two films greatly, I'm now starting the third. Will report back when done.

I still need to watch Russian Ark someday.

I very much wanted to see it for a while, but I cooled on the idea after seeing the director's documentry on Rostropovich, which I did not like at all. But I've since been to the Hermitage, which got me excited again to check it out.

Four minutes? That is just a bit extreme, would you agree?

extreme in what way, its a nice long take, not extremely long by any stretch of an imagination over 30.

Four minutes? That is just a bit extreme, would you agree?

I think the actual amount of time is less important than the feel of a film. Four minutes is extreme, and can result in a beautiful but pointless shot like the one in Atonement. But the feeling of a film breathing is what's missing. Editing should flow naturally, not be imposed because the director A. believes that it adds a visceral charge that is more important than comprehension or B. is not proficiant enough to achieve comprehension.