What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doubt

Having watched the remake of Sleuth again recently, the two films are fine examples of the right/wrong ways of film adaptations of plays. Doubt uses the medium to show what can't be shown on the stage, and doesn't simply rest on performances of (great) actors. Amy Adams, in particular, gave a tremendous performance.

Yeah, I liked that movie a lot. I wasn't sure I would based on the trailer, which might have almost been at home playing in front of Tropic Thunder.

It also strikes me as the kind of movie that will play very well on multiple viewings. Hopefully, it won't get ignored by Oscar the same it's getting ignored by holiday-season moviegoers.

I expect all 4 actors to be nominated.

;);):P:P

My mother just purchased those channels such as HBO and Cinemax, and so I got to watch "Jaws" today. Well, starting at "Man Against Beast", but I do not mind, as that is one of my favorite scenes. Yesterday, I watched a documentary on the USS Indianapolis.

Have you even seen the film?

I guarantee you Meryl Streep and Amy Adams will be nominated. I'm pretty damn sure Viola Davis will be nominated, and I'm least sure about Philip Seymour Hoffman, but he has a chance.

Despite deserving it, Amy Adams will not be nominated.

Viola Davis will get her spot, despite being in the movie for only a few minutes, and not really being that good in it. She's good, but nothing special; I think people are having a very strong reaction to her character, rather than to the actress.

My mother just purchased those channels such as HBO and Cinemax, and so I got to watch "Jaws" today. Well, starting at "Man Against Beast", but I do not mind, as that is one of my favorite scenes. Yesterday, I watched a documentary on the USS Indianapolis.

Do you watch anything other than Jaws and Indiana Jones? :thumbup:

Why are you so sure? I'll bet you $5 she will be nominated. Of course if either of us loses, we'll only have to pay up if we're either in Maryland or Alabama.

I'll take that bet.

The Academy doesn't tend to recognize this type of role -- a subtle, non-showy role that is part of an ensemble -- unless (1) the actress is a newcomer whose career the Academy wants to encourage, (2) the actress is a veteran whose career the Academy wants to reward, or (3) the movie is unlikely to get other major nominations, and the Academy wants to recognize the movie.

None of these factors apply to Amy Adams in Doubt.

Have you even seen the film?

I guarantee you Meryl Streep and Amy Adams will be nominated. I'm pretty damn sure Viola Davis will be nominated, and I'm least sure about Philip Seymour Hoffman, but he has a chance.

sorry I though you were talking Tropic Thunder.

Mio Fratello È Figlio Unico (2007) : From the writers of the very famous La Meglio Gioventù. It's a film that concentrates on characters and their political ideas during the '60s and '70s. The movie is by no means as good as La Meglio Gioventù but it's ok. Not a must.

18796524.jpg

miofratello_sfondo-08_800.jpg

Yes, Italian girls can be very beautiful.

Alex

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Director's Edition)

I bought this when it came out in 2001, but had never found time to watch it until now! I barely remember the theatrical version, so I dunno what parts I saw where different or whatever. But at least now I have images in my head to go along with the score CD the next time I listen to it :huh:

It was SO obvious when watching this that it was a pilot tv show script suddently converted into a feature film...

The Academy doesn't tend to recognize this type of role -- a subtle, non-showy role that is part of an ensemble -- unless (1) the actress is a newcomer whose career the Academy wants to encourage, (2) the actress is a veteran whose career the Academy wants to reward, or (3) the movie is unlikely to get other major nominations, and the Academy wants to recognize the movie.

Aptly observed. One wonders when Kevin Bacon will finally find himself in category 2 or 3.

The field is rather scarce this year, I've been hearing a lot about both Adams and Davies. I think they'll both get it. And a Streep nom is a lock, she's currently neck and neck with Sally Hawkins for the front-runner. I'm in the Hawkins camp. I haven't seen Doubt yet, but I have a hard time believing that anyone could beat Hawkins. She was wonderful in a wonderful film.

Saw a bunch of movies in the past week. I thought they were a weak selection, but looking back, they actually look kinda strong. Strange.

Fellini Satyricon (1969). A week after seeing Fellini's disappointing Amarcord, I was seriously turned off to his work by this horrid mess. Drab, macabre imagination run amok in ancient Rome. And a sparse and almost entirely unmelodious score by Nino Rota, which was a particular disappointment.

Le Demoiseles Du Rochefort (1966). Jacques Demy's followup to The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, one of the loveliest films ever made (and one of the best musicals, too). It's good, but it feels a bit too big, and a bit too strained in it's attempt to recreate the feel of the MGM musicals of the 40's and 50's. The choreography is a bit lacking, too. Still, some wonderful songs (again by Michel Legrand), nice perfromances, and the joy of seeing the stunning Catherine Deneuve in her prime, as well as seeing Gene Kelly do his thing.

Lola (1961). Demy's debut film, starring Anouk Aimee as the title character, a cabaret dancer waiting for her long-lost love to return. The movie is very poignant, and very much saturated in film-culture (tons of movie references- even the title card of the film, which has a dedication to director Max Ophuls). Aimee is good and waif-like, Marc Michel is excellent as the male protagonist. I very much connected with his character boredom and weariness. Cinematography, by the legendary Raoul Coutard, is marvelous. Legrand's score is one of those that is theoretically great and melodious, save for the fact that I didn't really care for the melodies. But that's my problem, not his.

Night Moves (1975). Arthur Penn's much loved thriller, starring Gene Hackman as a private eye searching for a runaway teenager, only to find himself utterly lost and beyond his depth by the real plot. The movie is an awkward one. A lot of it is terrific, starting with Hackman. This is one of his best performances, a kind of companion piece to his immortal Harry Caul in The Conversation (his character here is also called Harry). This is also a man consumed by his investigative work, but a very sociable and amiable one (as opposed to the socially inept Caul). There's a very nice wounded side to the character, which pays off more and more as the film continues. Jennifer Warren gives a strange, fascinating performance in this film (to try to sum up her role would take a while). And Melanie Griffith, in her first role, is good as the whore-ish teenager, who looks for any excuse to disrobe.

So, the performances are good. The characters are compelling. But the plot. Oy, the plot. For most of the running time, it is good, very much in tune with the characters. But near the end, the plot takes one wild twist after another, and becomes absolutely preposterous. So that the

Chinatown

-like ending loses the poignancy it should have had (though the final image kind of works, despite that).

The film is still very much recommended, terrific 70's thriller, but the plot deflates it. The plot is supposed to be complicated, but it's a bit too much. Good score by Michael Small.

The Deal (2003). Peter Morgan writes, Stephen Frears directs, Michael Sheen stars as Tony Blair. This team's (of the superb The Queen) first outing, in a TV movie about the relationship between Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, rising through the ranks of their party, until that fateful point when there's an empty space at the top, and only one of them can fill it. The film is good for many reasons, but I found it positively shocking that a film like this could be made in 2003. The film seems as if it should have been made in the past year, but it manages to be entirely relevant without the benefit of complete hind-sight. It's hard to really discuss it fully without going into politics (I'm not sure how internal UK politics fall into the rule, but still). But I thought it was very good, and has the bonus of being in the same universe as The Queen, which is something I always love in movies. I only wish it also could have had an Alexandre Desplat score (but I wish that about many movies).

The Unforgiven (1992). Been a while since I last seen it. Clint Eastwood is a frustrating director. Just when I thought I'd had enough of his films, I see the surprisingly decent Changeling, and rewatch this film. I do not think it's a singularly great film, but it's a damn fine one. Eastwood is terrific, as a very surprising character. The way he embraces the ugly-ness of the character is something quite rare, and quite moral. The morality of the film is something I didn't recall as strongly. The movie sets you up for ambivalence- but by the end, it's main character is a demonic character in a hellish landscape. Very potent. The supporting performances are good- Hackman is terrific in his fascinating character, this time very ambivalent, and Richard Harris is quite memorable and unexpected, Freeman is fine, if not having much to do- but this is Eastwood's movie from it's humble beginning, through it's amazing finale, to it's curiously affecting post-script.

I've got some problems with the cinematography. Well, not really problems- but the rare blues and whites in this movie are so beautiful, I would have liked more of them, and I'm not sure the movie needs to be as closed up as it is. I'm also not sure some scenes needed to be as long as they were- Eastwood seems to be going for a Leone feel, but many of them simply feel stretched out and monotonous. Score is also a mixed bag- Claudia's theme appears too often, and, as usually the case with Eastwood, is very cloying and maudlin. But Niehaus' marvelous basses for the finale are just the ticket.

With those reservations, it's still my favorite Eastwood-directed movie to date, though I've only seen about a dozen of them (he's made a crap-load, and I haven't seen any of the early ones).

Also saw Max Payne. I felt that the film almost grasped something kinda special, a mix between the recreation of the feel of the video game, with some larger and more potent emotional base. But the longer it went on, the more boring and mediocre it got. My favorite thing about it is how is managed to transform it's NYC landscape into an alien and threatening place. And, as someone who has played the game (never got through it- I have a strange tendency to become claustrophobic from video games, something I don't really have in real life), I did appreciate the way the movie recreated some of the mood of it. But it's a very crappy film. Vague and not terribly convincing performances are everywhere, the laziness with which the identity of the villain is flaunted and finally revealed was insulting, and too many action scenes were put in exclusivly to show off the movie's approximation of the game's bullet-time techniqe (which was already used in The Matrix, making it doubly pointless). I can't stand these movies, that are almost interesting in the first half, only to become utterly mediocre and boring as their near the end.

It was SO obvious when watching this that it was a pilot tv show script suddenly converted into a feature film...

In what way? It feels very much like a feature film to me.

You could tell that Illia and Decker where new characters written in for the show to bring more variety to the cast... the kind of reset button approach at the end like "alright everything's solved, let's take off for some new adventures!"... I dunno, it just felt that way to me.

I see your point, Jason. The Motion Picture is very much a feature film, but it does have an episodic feel to it. Decker and Ilia amount to "guest stars" who were created out of the blue just for this movie: they get introduced, serve as major plot catalysts, and then are effectively written out of the show at the end. When the threat is resolved, the story ends, which makes the movie a self-contained standalone piece that leaves no major plot threads dangling for sequels but certainly leaves the door open for sequels, especially by having the crew smile at the camera, Kirk say what he does, and give the final tagline about the continuing human adventure.

But with those points aside, the effects, drama, music, cinematography, scope of antagonists, and sheer runtime alone all contribute to make this movie more than a single TOS made-for-TV episode would have been.

I watched the extended DVD cut of Terminator 2 the other day. I thought all the additions actually made it too long. This coming from the guy who loves the extended LOTR movies.

I have a bunch of R1 discs assembled in an order on Amazon that I still haven't taken the plunge on and ordered.

I'm thinking of adding Dr. Horrible to that order...

How is it hilarious? I was just put off the whole time. Could you explain to me what the hell happened in the end? Was it all in his head?

(1) The sex scenes are funny. ("Don't just sit there, eat it!")

(2) He drops a running chain saw onto someone from the top of a stairwell; if that's not funny, I don't know what is.

(3) His taste in music is so abysmal, it's awesome. Although I do like "Sussudio."

(4) The tone of the movie is just amusing to me. All that stuff about business cards and bloody laundry and restaurants is funny.

As for the end, it's been awhile since I saw the movie, but I think at least some of the movie was a figment of his imagination; how much, as I remember, is left up to your imagination.

It's not a movie for everyone, that's for sure.

Suppose for a moment it was meant to disturb you through humor.

Also, about the card scene -- if you have time, try to name the reasons that made Bateman be like that. And if you can identify the feelings that he felt when he saw the business card and compare them to the moments in your life when you've felt similar things, maybe you'll find the movie is saying something to you.

"Passion", the story of Percy Grainger. (Or "Peter" Grainger as they mistakenly put on the cover of the DVD!)

It was not bad. Great acting, fun plot involving suggestions of incest, and some good old fashioned bondage and whipping scenes. Shame the DVD sound quality was all messed up though, so the actual music sounded like it was coming from a revox tape machine being bounced through a dry desert on the back of a three-legged camel.

Just caught the last half-ish of Hook on AMC

Goddamn, I just effing love this movie and music

Also noticed something I had never (consciously anyway) noticed before: the "prologue theme" plays during the final battle, as hook is taunting peter that he'll go after his children, and his children's children.... makes sense since its only other appearance in the score is in the hook napped cues

Also noticed something I had never (consciously anyway) noticed before: the "prologue theme" plays during the final battle, as hook is taunting peter that he'll go after his children, and his children's children.... makes sense since its only other appearance in the score is in the hook napped cues

I agree.

Man, I'd jump on a 2 or 3-disc FSM release of the complete score in a heartbeat! (Really, I'd take it from anyone who will legally, officially release it, but for some reason FSM is always the label I picture releasing the score).

Dang it, I forgot to record it! Thanks for reminding me so I can record the next showing.

You'd be better off with the DVD. The version on AMC was not in OAR

About Hook: I love the score, and I actually enjoy the film. It's incredibly entertaining, and I think that the music really brings it from an okay film to a good one, IMO.

I agree.

Man, I'd jump on a 2 or 3-disc FSM release of the complete score in a heartbeat! (Really, I'd take it from anyone who will legally, officially release it, but for some reason FSM is always the label I picture releasing the score).

I would no lie pay $100 for a complete and legitimate release of Hook. It's so amazing. I literally was almost choked up at certains parts of the final battle music earlier

I don't know how you can't laugh at his Whitney Houston speech, or any of his music speeches for that matter.

Thinking back on the whole thing, yes it is funny. I just didn't know anything about the film and was in a mental set that it was supposed to be horror. That's why my initial reaction was that it's weird.

I agree.

I would no lie pay $100 for a complete and legitimate release of Hook. It's so amazing. I literally was almost choked up at certains parts of the final battle music earlier

I, as well. Now, Jason, what is "OAR"? And did AMC have Closed Captioning?

OAR = Original Aspect Ratio

AMC did not show the movie in it's original 2.35:1 aspect ratio. It was cropped (or if it was filmed in Super 35, the frame was opened up) to 1.85:1

I have no clue if AMC has close captioning or not :shrug: