Upcoming Films

Quintus

Apparently, Ang Lee's upcoming film Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk was shot in 3D at 120 frames a second and only one 300-seat theater in NYC is actually capable of projecting it in that format.  Peter Jackson, eat your heart out!

Ang Lee Is Embracing a Faster Film Format. Can Theaters Keep Up?

Also, the movie looks like it could be interesting.

What's the point of filming at 120 frames per second when the human eye can't even differentiate that much detail?

9 hours ago, Jay said:

What's the point of filming at 120 frames per second when the human eye can't even differentiate that much detail?

Ask Douglas Trumbull! 

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Wrong. Lol this is hilarious, although you wouldn't get it. 

Btw 120fps looks fabulous in motion. 

Yes.  Standard films are all 24 frames per second, and the Hobbit trilogy was filmed at 48 frames per second.

Trumbull complained about that too. It wasn't fast enough. He said that from a certain rate ( I don't recall exactly but something like 90 or 120 fps) everything becomes 3D. 

Extremely positive reviews for Villeneuve's Arrival. The critics are floored. Is Blade Runner 2 safe? 

Less Close Encounters of the Third Kind and more Linguistic Encounters of the Academic Kind, this is a sci-fi movie with intelligence, cerebral and emotional.

A fairly chilly, cerebral bit of business, from its beautifully tamped-down cinematography (by modern master Bradford Young) to Johann Johannsson's ethereal score.

It's ingenious, and brilliantly directed, shot and scored, all of which bodes well for Villeneuve's next project, a keenly-awaited sequel to 1982's Blade Runner.

And so on, and so on ...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/arrival_2016/

marathon-man-olivier_l.jpg

Is it safe?

On 8/23/2016 at 5:01 PM, Alexcremers said:

Trumbull complained about that too. It wasn't fast enough. He said that from a certain rate ( I don't recall exactly but something like 90 or 120 fps) everything becomes 3D. 

So things look ok in low fps and very high fps but weird in the middle?

Animation gets away with it better.

Now that I think about it, animation in high fps must be nuts. Unless you have software to create automatically in between frames, which I think exists. Although I don't know if such a think exists for non-3D animation.

5 hours ago, Richard said:

Yes, it's safe. It's safe, it's safe, it's so safe you wouldn't belive it.

Huh? I thought you said Villeneuve was the lowest of the lowest! The core problem in today's moviemaking. A fraud! A Michael Bay padawan! And now you're saying Blade Runner 2 is in safe hands? What?!

The film defies gravity.

Beautiful, provocative allegory that can bump your whole worldview off balance.

A high-stakes, hard sci-fi action film.

And so on, and so on ...

No, Alex, I was responding to the picture! "Is it safe?"

I'll reserve judgement on BR2 until October, next year, when I see it...or not (probably will...).

I don't recall posting anything on the F1 driver, and part-time director, but as for mentioning Mr. Bay; you are on thin fucking ice, my pedigree chum, and I will be underneath it when it cracks. Now..put the kettle on, Erroll.

On September 3, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Stefancos said:

Universal praise? Hmmmm.... Suspect

Yeah...after that last full trailer, I'm a bit concerned this one might be really playing it safe.

But I have faith in Villeneuve!!

8 hours ago, KK said:

Yeah...after that last full trailer, I'm a bit concerned this one might be really playing it safe.

I can't get past the giant coffee beans, sorry. Also, the trailer showed too much. 

Quintus - lives in fear of universal praise 

8 hours ago, KK said:

The boys and girls over at Metacritic don't seem to agree with Rotten Tomatoes:

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/arrival

On 8/9/2016 at 10:33 AM, Jay said:

Apparently they are still making Resident Evil movies

Apparently they are still making Underworld movies too

Shouldn't Beckinsale and Jovovich be able to find better jobs than this?

How about Brie Larson with a gun?

Looks like the whole movie takes place in one location. I wonder if this is one of those "movies filmed before someone won an Oscar gets released afterwards and she regrets having made it" situations