Upcoming Films

Quintus

34 minutes ago, Richard said:

Alex, nobody needs to see a Nicholas Cage movie

my-name-is-nobody.jpg

"I did see a Nicholas Cage movie. And it was great!"

34 minutes ago, Richard said:

(except, maybe, for MOONSTRUCK...oh, go on; I'll give you CON-AIR, as well, and THE COTTON CLUB).

edit ...and RAISING ARIZONA, but that's my final offer.

We have a deal if you'll throw in 

Rumble-Fish-1024x555.png

Rumble Fish

and

wild_at_heart.jpg

Wild At Heart 

On 6/12/2015 at 10:19 AM, nightscape94 said:

Aaaaand delayed again

I was supposed to start to be shooting it starting next Monday. It’s been slightly delayed. I had this producer, a Portuguese chap, who claimed he’d get all the money together in time. And a few weeks ago, he proved that he didn’t have the money. So we are still marching forward. It is not dead. I will be dead before the film is.

The movie gods are going to hold you to that, Terry.

WOW!!!  This is fabulous, because I'm a big big big fan!!!! :w00t:

Roy Orbison 'triumph and tragedy' biopic in the works

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/sep/29/roy-orbison-biopic-in-the-works-the-big-o

Patrick Wilson is very watchable. He's good in ANGELS IN AMERICA. He's also watchable giving Kate Winsett what-for, in her red swimsuit, in LITTLE CHILDREN (of course, I watch that more for the latter! :)).

On 30/09/2016 at 11:24 PM, Bespin said:

WOW!!!  This is fabulous, because I'm a big big big fan!!!! :w00t:

Roy Orbison 'triumph and tragedy' biopic in the works

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/sep/29/roy-orbison-biopic-in-the-works-the-big-o

He was born, he wore glasses, he sung, he died. Er...?

He also worked with Jeff Lynne...oh, sh-

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah he was really good in Fargo S2.

Probably his best role. He was excellent.

10 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Over-the-top was my first impression as well, but not in a good way. A decade of CGI fluff has ruined Zemeckis. 

Ditto.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Over-the-top was my first impression as well, but not in a good way. A decade of CGI fluff has ruined Zemeckis. 

No way!  Flight and The Walk were great!

Yea, I guess Flight wasn't great, but it was fine, certainly better than a lot of crap that comes out these days.  The Walk is genuinely great, already seen it twice

The Walk doesn't add much to Man on Wire except for a vicarious experience of the tightrope walk itself which is pretty excellently staged. There's really no insight into Petit's worldview and eccentricity at all compared to the doc, but taken as a superficial Ocean's-esque heist romp with a charismatic lead and colorful ensemble it's really fun. I think it's one of Zemeckis's most purely entertaining movies, definitely his funniest since Gump. 

I think its greatest asset is that it's actually truly poignant as a post-9/11 film, able to acknowledge the WTC's fate without ever feeling like it's shoving it down your throat. The subtext really comes from the slightly wistful tone of Petit's fascination with them and it's all you really need. It plays right because it's in Petit's character to look at them as these magical structures, but at the same time gives you permission to reflect on them. Zemeckis realizes that there's a quiet power just in looking at those things. Petit's final line is just right and the last shot is perfectly and delicately judged by Zemeckis and Silvestri.

Wasn't much a fan of Flight either, aside from the great plane crash.

I remember thinking the script was annoyingly didactic a lot of the time. That stairwell scene at the hospital with the smoking cancer patient, or yeah the scenes with the religious couple. Also John Goodman's character was terrible, tonally so at odds with everything else in that movie. Thankfully Denzel held it together.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

I think its greatest asset is that it's actually truly poignant as a post-9/11 film, able to acknowledge the WTC's fate without ever feeling like it's shoving it down your throat. 

Do you not get that from the last shot in MUNICH? 

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I remember thinking the script was annoyingly didactic a lot of the time. That stairwell scene at the hospital with the smoking cancer patient, or yeah the scenes with the religious couple. Also John Goodman's character was terrible, tonally so at odds with everything else in that movie. Thankfully Denzel held it together.

This was one of the major problems I had with the film, though I disagree that Denzel held it together. Throughout there's this defiant tone rooting for him to get away clean, we have the comic relief drug dealer, and a generally funny scene towards the end before the trial trying to get him sobered up. But the film flicks a switch as if they all suddenly remembered that drugs are bad mmkay and it turns into this preachy mess. I mean, the film opens with the shot of a bare ass and cocaine being snorted and there's this ridiculous part where Denzel just starts chugging vodka. I mean, I really don't see how anyone could think this is solid filmmaking. All of it felt as if there should have been a footnote at the bottom of the screen saying "This is a dramatization" throughout.

It has the depth of a TV movie of the week. Watchable but it leaves behind no imprint. Zemeckis is a Spielberg turned out slightly differently. Some of the genes are in a different place. Both have a Disney complex. The new film looks like he's trying to separate himself from his twin brother Steven. Good for him!