Damaged "In Transit" CDs

RenOldman

Have you ever had damaged packages from companies that sell CDs?

I just recently received a package from LALALAND and, to tell you the truth, the CDs did not arrive in mint condition. They were damaged "In Transit" - I mean the cases were cracked and a CD was free in a case. Fortunately nothing was beyond repair, CDs were fine and booklets were too.

I guess the main reason for this thread is: have you ever received bad packages from any soundtrack retailer?

Do you think saying: "It was damaged in transit" is sufficient? Especially when they don't prepare the CDs in a proper way? I mean say you ordered 10 CDs, do you think it is unreasonable if they sent it in a box of some sort, instead of an envelope?

-Eric, who should point that he just started ordering online. But received a package from SAE in good condition and, the Indiana Jones set from Amazon uk.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually my LaLaLand Lost in Space 2 c.d set is the only c.d. I ever received damaged (scratches on SEALED c.d.) .They sent me another one promptly ,so I am happy.

I just got Defiance recently from Amazon. The jewel case was almost cracked in half. The CD was still in the tray though, and all the artwork was fine. I just replaced the jewel case.

When I received Home Alone 2 and Heartbeeps from Varese the booklets were creased in the middle for some reason.

I've had a couple of cases broken from CD's I ordered from Amazon but cases are easily replaceable. Luckily non of the discs were damaged. I've had no discs or cases cracked from any of the orders I've received from Movie Music.

Edit: KM, nope the case for my Superman Blue Box came in top notch condition.

It must be the way how LaLa Land packages the CD's...because even from the CD's from LaLa Land that I've ordered through MovieMusic have gotten to me in great shape. Or it might be who ever is handling the CD's (postmen).

It's the postal service although I kinda wish they would use boxes like Intrada, Varese and SAE do.

I've only had one were the insert that holds the CD was missing the little teeth, but other than that I've had no problems.

I don't worry about cracked cases because I have a huge box of replacement parts. :lol: Whenever a case cracks I just replace the damaged or I save the good sections.

It's the mail. It happens. Intrada, SAE, and MovieMusic.com all have deservedly fine reputations, but I've gotten cracked jewel cases from them all at one point or other.

:lol: 100 Rifles (Goldsmith)

Apparently, it's BSX you want to watch out for (though I haven't ordered from them yet).

Please what ever you do, DON'T order through them...not unless you want to become another victim of never getting what you paid for.

Huh. My Batman TAS and Millenium arrived from La La Land today, and they were nicely wrapped in nice bubble wrap, then placed inside a nice, bigger-than-it-needed to be padded envelope.

Interestingly enough, my How To Steal A Million / Bacherlor Flat and Accidental Tourist arrived from moviemusic.com today as well, and they where packed on top of each other in a box LITERALLY just big enough to fit them both.

However, all 4 releases are fine and uncracked

Apparently, it's BSX you want to watch out for (though I haven't ordered from them yet).

Please what ever you do, DON'T order through them...not unless you want to become another victim of never getting what you paid for.

Yeah, I'm probably more likely to get your order than you are! ;)

I've been smart enough to stay away from BSX after reading the many horror stories regarding them. They will never get a cent from me. For my post I was referring to others who've fallen prey to them.

As Mark said, it's the postal service. Which is why I don't complain when it's just a crack in the jewel case or a slight dent in the box. Jewel cases are easily replaced (and I still have about a hundred unused ones in a box), and while cardboard boxes are a different matter, pretty much the only way to surely avoid dents is to charge, say, an additional $10 for shipping, probably per item.

Often when I get DVDs, I can hear that the disc has dropped off the mount, but usually it has no scratches. And even with minor scratches it usually plays perfectly fine. Once, when I ordered the first 9 seasons of Friends, I discovered several months later that one of the season 5 discs got loose and was so scratched it wouldn't play correctly. I got a free replacement within a few days.

I quite often find that a disc has become dislodged from the 'teeth' and is just bouncing around in the case. I've yet to find one actually scratched by such a problem though.

I also think that postmen are quite often responsible for this. In a new consignment of 20 external hard drives at work (cheap ones I will add), the cases of about half of them had come loose, many had something rattling inside, and most just didn't work. I find it hard to believe they were dispatched in that sort of condition so I suspect an over-enthusiastic delivery guy.

:) I wonder if that has to do with your mailman. 'Cause I've never heard of that happening so often to anybody else.

Could be, I suppose. But it doesn't bother me all that much as I really don't care about the physical medium. As soon as I rip it to my hard drive, the CD goes on a shelf, never to be uncovered again unless I need to re-rip it.

Now if the CD was ever damaged in transit...

The only case ( pun not intended but ultimately realized) that I can think of is when I ordered "Jaws". There were a few scratches on the cover ( no problem, though), and when I opened it, the "teeth" (could that be a pun, too?) broke, and so I must place my Digipak in a certain manner, lest the Disk should fly out of it.

I've been smart enough to stay away from BSX after reading the many horror stories regarding them. They will never get a cent from me. For my post I was referring to others who've fallen prey to them.

I've never fallen pray. They gave me free CD's! I've only ordered from them a couple times, and got what I ordered plus more. Ordered Medal Of Honor from them through Amazon, got my package in the mail. I was like "This is a big package," and inside was MoH and MoH: Underground. Maybe they thought I ordered both, but whatever I'm not complaining. My brother ordered The Texas Chainsaw Massacre from them (through Amazon as well, I believe) and he got his package. Then a couple weeks later they sent it again, even though he didn't complain. Sold it on eBay for like 10 bucks.

Then we all know the incident where I got John Barry: 40 Years Of Film Music randomly...

Well good for you but that still doesn't count for the countless many who've fallen victim to never getting what they paid for. It's also pretty pathetic one had to post on FSM in order to get their attention.

It's not about defect jewel cases, but all cd's I ordered from LaLaLand had some sort of stickers that are very hard to bring them clean away from the cases. Very annoying...

I hate those stupid seal sticker thingies that are on US CDs and DVDs. It's nice that they show the title on the spine (although couldn't they just stack the discs sideways so you can read the actual spine in stores?) but why do they have to put them ON the jewel case INSIDE the shrink wrap with the strongest glue they can find?

I used to attempt removing those annoying top-of-the-case barcode stickers, but most of the time that leaves nasty sticker residue on the case... so I don't bother doing that anymore. I open jewel cases by lightly pulling on the lower hinge and swinging up the front, as the still-intact sticker holds the front and back of the case together. This gives access to the disc and booklet without the sticker fuss. :lol:

Peel slowly, most of them have a "peel here" point that makes it easy. If there is any residue then just take what you peeled and place it back on and rip off. Do that a couple times and it should get it off. Some of them are really bad, in which case you can replace the jewel case, leave it alone (like I do), or use some remover.