What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

I just love how the rejection of bombast is a sign of maturation. Good to know.

-Ben, who will gladly crank up Batman and bask in his immaturity.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not so much the bombast, it is the way in which the bombast is presented. Keep in mind that I like Batman very much, but it is obvious to me that Danny Elfman was still "wet behind the ears" when he wrote it.

But I mean, it's Star Wars. Schindler's List on the other hand, that's a tear-jerker.

Well, honestly, I could never imagine crying because of any film score, so I'm one to talk...my emotions just don't express themselves that way. But still. :P

Goldenthal's Final Fantasy is definately an enjoyable score, but I'll always wish Uematsu had gotten a crack at it.

According to Uematsu himself, during an informal confersation with Sakaguchi he was offered to write that score, but he didn't take it seriously, because at that very moment Sakaguchi was... drunk. :P Since he didn't respond, Sakaguchi didn't force his name anymore and Goldenthal was hired instead.

Oh my god the tragedies spawned by the abuse of alcohol!

:lol:

I had never heard that story before. Depressing, but funny.

I wouldn't call it depressing. While I would also loved to have heard Uematsu's crack at it, Goldenthal produced such an excellent score himself that complaining about it is like wishing Goldsmith did Superman instead of Williams. Uematsu's score for the abysmal Advent Children was nearly as dysfunctional as the movie itself.

:P But I mean, it's Star Wars. Schindler's List on the other hand, that's a tear-jerker.

The film maybe. But do you not believe that great music can elicit tears of joy? I believe that is what he refers to, and I too have experienced it with that piece, amongst others.

But I mean, it's Star Wars. Schindler's List on the other hand, that's a tear-jerker.

Well, honestly, I could never imagine crying because of any film score, so I'm one to talk...my emotions just don't express themselves that way. But still. :P

I've never cried from a film score either. I've gotten teary-eyed from The Thin Red Line and Tears Of The Sun, and probably Schindler's List. Although honestly that's probably just because of the mood I was in, because I've listened to them before without that type of emotional response.

:lol: But I mean, it's Star Wars. Schindler's List on the other hand, that's a tear-jerker.

The film maybe. But do you not believe that great music can elicit tears of joy? I believe that is what he refers to, and I too have experienced it with that piece, amongst others.

Ah, the tears of joy. Forgot about them.

:P But I mean, it's Star Wars. Schindler's List on the other hand, that's a tear-jerker.

Thank you for clarifying for me, that is exactly what I meant. I find it is rather common with John Williams' music, more so than any other composer I have ever listened to.

The Da Vinci Code by Hans Zimmer

Perfume by Tykwer, Klimek and Heil

Merchant of Venice by Jocelyn Pook

King Kong by James Newton Howard

Lust, Caution by Alexandre Desplat

Merchant of Venice is very eclectic with a lot of vocal work from soloists and ensemble and period instruments, capturing both the lyricism of the story and also its time period and Venetian culture of palaces and also some aspects of the Jewish culture that represent Shylock's world.

The music is performed by a relatively small ensemble with emphasis on period instruments (in the liner notes the composer tells how she researched the period music for the score quite extensively) and it is mainly delicate and lyrical and mood music with small thematic hints here and there to tie it all together.

Merchant of Venice by Jocelyn Pook

How is this? I never knew she composed. I have her album, Untold Things.

She also composed a couple of cues for Eyes Wide Shut. I liked those.

Karol

Goldenthal's Final Fantasy is definately an enjoyable score, but I'll always wish Uematsu had gotten a crack at it.

According to Uematsu himself, during an informal confersation with Sakaguchi he was offered to write that score, but he didn't take it seriously, because at that very moment Sakaguchi was... drunk. :P Since he didn't respond, Sakaguchi didn't force his name anymore and Goldenthal was hired instead.

Oh my god the tragedies spawned by the abuse of alcohol!

:lol:

I had never heard that story before. Depressing, but funny.

I wouldn't call it depressing. While I would also loved to have heard Uematsu's crack at it, Goldenthal produced such an excellent score himself that complaining about it is like wishing Goldsmith did Superman instead of Williams. Uematsu's score for the abysmal Advent Children was nearly as dysfunctional as the movie itself.

The score was good. The movie was... not.

Advent Children is a pretty schizophrenic score. When Uematsu brings in the full orchestra it's with great results: Divinity, Cloud Smiles, and the wonderful end credits suite with great new renditions of the FF VII main theme, Aeris' theme, and the main FF theme. But he was full in his Black Mages stage at that point, and I have no interest in hard rock/heavy metal/whatever versions of old action cues.

Advent Children is a pretty schizophrenic score. When Uematsu brings in the full orchestra it's with great results: Divinity, Cloud Smiles, and the wonderful end credits suite with great new renditions of the FF VII main theme, Aeris' theme, and the main FF theme. But he was full in his Black Mages stage at that point, and I have no interest in hard rock versions of old action cues.

I am not hard rock fan either, but his ability to merge all that genres (symphonic, hard rock and techno) into one coherent (IMO) score is commendable.

Just about to finish up the complete score for Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I'm currently on the track "A Good Start" and I've always found this score to be enjoyable from beginning to end. Hopefully one day we are able to get a true complete version of it from one of the labels.

Half-Arsed Prince

One of the most boring scores I've ever heard. OOTP was alright with some really good cues, but this is so bland, I couldn't even call it ambiance. Brilliantly awful.

I think it's actually better than the first one (I mean Hooper's first one). "In Noctem" and "Ron's Victory" are better than anything from OotP .

In Harm's Way by Jerry Goldsmith. For this being his very first score it sure was a fun listen from beginning to end. It really didn't sound like Goldsmith, all though Henry commented to me on AIM that it doesn't really sound like him because he was just starting out and still finding his own unique sound. That I agree with 100%.

I will say I bought this album basically blind. Ya I listened to the sound clips before I purchased it but having never seen the film (before my time obviously) I am glad I bought it.

In Harm's Way by Jerry Goldsmith. For this being his very first score it sure was a fun listen from beginning to end. It really didn't sound like Goldsmith, all though Henry commented to me on AIM that it doesn't really sound like him because he was just starting out and still finding his own unique sound. That I agree with 100%.

I will say I bought this album basically blind. Ya I listened to the sound clips before I purchased it but having never seen the film (before my time obviously) I am glad I bought it.

This wasn't Goldsmith's first score. He had 40 scores credited to him by the time he composed this one, and that includes TV.

This is definately a Goldsmith score, his "finger" prints are all over the score.

Godzilla vs. Destroyah (2-CD) by Akira Ifukube.

I look at this score like it's the final collaboration between members of a phenomenal team, only it's composer and leading character. Ifukube and Godzilla go together like Williams and Indiana Jones, Elfman and Batman, Barry and Bond. This score has enough dramatic depth as you'd want in a Godzilla score, although overall, I think variety is lacking compared to his previous efforts on Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992) and Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla (1993), but I can only attribute that to an extremely tight deadline to get the music locked in the film. It references the Oxygen Destroyer music from the 1954 original appropriately, and develops that in subtle ways. Enough words can't be said about "Requiem", what a phenomenal piece of music, and a keen ear can hear Godzilla's theme expressed in a vastly different manner. Music is especially important in these films because the monsters don't have voice to speak with, so Ifukube and any other composer involved express their emotion on screen in place of their voice.

My only major complaint about this 2-CD "complete score", presented in "recording session" form, is that it doesn't have that really cool John Carpenter-style sonic rumble that's heard in the scene where one of the smaller Destroyah creatures chases the reporter into a police car. It was simple, but it had such menace to it. I wonder if Toho actually did just lift it from a Carpenter film or something similar since it's left off the soundtrack.

Natty Gann finally arrived, and it was worth the waiting. Great score! And who would have thought that the theme of Land before Time was actually almost a rip-off from this score (It's been a long time since I've seen the movie, long before I paid too much attention to the music in detail)?

Ratatouille

Back to the Future 2

Planet of the Apes

And a couple of Ringo albums since it was his birthday.

The recent Superman poll got me interested in the score again, so I listened to that. It's awesome. "Leaving Home" has become my favorite track.

This is definately a Goldsmith score, his "finger" prints are all over the score.

True. And not just the 60s TV Goldsmith, which I often find a bit difficult to listen to. The Rock sounds like classic 70s Goldsmith.

The recent Superman poll got me interested in the score again, so I listened to that. It's awesome. "Leaving Home" has become my favorite track.

My favorite track as well. :P

PUBLIC ENEMIES

Awesome. I love how impeccable Mann's tastes usually are regarding song placement alongside score. It's a bit tricky working with the score when I have no idea what it's scoring, but it has a lovely sense of introspection. Plus, Billie Holiday is never bad.

The complete score for Dinosaur. In my opinion it's one of James Newton Howard's finest scores. I always enjoy listening to it from beginning to end.

Papillon, the extended (15-track-long) version. P E R F E C T. The only score I could compare it to, in terms of it's dramatic power and overwhelming beauty, is Schindler's List. Goldsmith at his finest and the music that makes life worth living for.

Magnolia by Jon Brion

Absolutely wonderful! Paul Thomas Anderson might be one of the few directors who actually has any taste in music. I remember liking it in the film, but it is the first time I have a chance to listen to the album. And it's a real treat. It kind of reminds me of Alexandre Desplat, modern Danny Elfman and, rather bizzarely, Schindler's List (in its rhythmic moments). Recommended! ;)

Karol