71 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like the film?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true. One cannot be out of his mind if he does not have one in the first place ;)

Karol

Not to mention the fact that he was pretty much unaffected by the pull of Earth's gravity!

I hate having to point out that I made two jokes in one. ;)

His name is indy4. Under the circumstances, calling him fanboy is a little redundant.

That's why he won't be able to deny it.

Hmm, I hesitate to say "I didn't like it," because parts of it were all right. But then again, the more I've thought about it since seeing the film, there are a lot of things that I find wrong with it.

I think I'll follow Marc's lead and vote for both. ;)

Had someone taken this same plot, same "A" production values, a thematic score composed by JNH or Michael Giacchino, the same script but took out the Indy references and made it for another aging action hero, the entire board (with an exception of a few members) would have slammed this film as crap.

Had someone taken this same plot, same "A" production values, a thematic score composed by JNH or Michael Giacchino, the same script but took out the Indy references and made it for another aging action hero, the entire board (with an exception of a few members) would have slammed this film as crap.

Do the same with Raiders. Even just change Ford to Tom Selleck and you could have a similar reaction.

Made it a tom selleck movie, from an awful director and scored by Goldsmith.

It would be just remembered for the great score...

My point is, take away Ford, Spielberg, Lucas and Williams and see how much love the film would get.

If those names weren't attached then most here would view it as the piece of poo it actually is.

But the film touches on an area of nostalgia that would not be there if not for them. And that's why there's still love for it, despite it's inadequacies.

If I want to relive the memories I'll pop the first 3 films in the DVD player. I get a sense of nostalgia thinking about going to see Raiders and the way it was presented; lobby cards, the friends I went with, the theatre I saw it in etc etc.

But crap is crap, there's no nostalgia in the actual films.

People get confused about that.

But the film touches on an area of nostalgia that would not be there if not for them. And that's why there's still love for it, despite it's inadequacies.

Well said. Although I hated when I saw it in cinema, I just had to buy the dvd (which I did today :thumbup:)

If I want to relive the memories I'll pop the first 3 films in the DVD player. I get a sense of nostalgia thinking about going to see Raiders and the way it was presented; lobby cards, the friends I went with, the theatre I saw it in etc etc.

But crap is crap, there's no nostalgia in the actual films.

People get confused about that.

Oh, sure there is. That statement is just plain wrong.

No, not for me.

Nostalgia is thinking about TV channels that used show monster movies every Friday and how my grandmother sat with me when I watched Godzilla for the first time when I was 6. Or how the theatres were decorated with lobby cards and posters when I went and saw TESB. Or hanging out with friends in line for 3 hours to see the very first showing of ROTJ.

The films don't carry any real nostalgia because I can watch them anytime I want, and some of them aren't that good as they were when I was a kid.

It's the moments around the films, not the movies themselves.

Watching the films brings back the sensations of watching them as a kid, particularly the Indy films. Remembering the crappy VHS of Last Crusade or having to cover my eyes for the heart scene in Temple of Doom (as just two examples). I remember those every time. And when Marion reappeared in the last film- I was on cloud nine for a few seconds. Brought back so much.

My point is, take away Ford, Spielberg, Lucas and Williams and see how much love the film would get.

If those names weren't attached then most here would view it as the piece of poo it actually is.

Do i have to repeat it also works for the original three?

Watching the films brings back the sensations of watching them as a kid, particularly the Indy films. Remembering the crappy VHS of Last Crusade or having to cover my eyes for the heart scene in Temple of Doom (as just two examples). I remember those every time. And when Marion reappeared in the last film- I was on cloud nine for a few seconds. Brought back so much.

that is nostalgia, from my certain point of view too.

A view that conflicts with Mark's.

Nevertheless nostalgia is a feeling you 'feel' when something remembers you of past and hapier, better times. Be it a revisiting of the same item or a similar one.

No, you're wrong. If the same production values and story were done the same way as Raiders & TOD you would have still have 2 damn good films.

I liked it, but it could have been much, much better. The best scenes in the movie were Indy and Mutt in the diner, motorcycle chase, the cemetery and jungle chase. A lot of action scenes were similar to Temple Of Doom in that they were fake. The overlong climax is really where it all starts to fall apart for me. It's a bunch of standing around is caves. The aliens have no clear motive, it's unclear what happens to Agent Spalko and why, the temple collapsing into a UFO is completely confusing and the whole Crystal Skull thing is not explained at all, nor can I even infer WTF I just witnessed. The cheesy wedding is lame.

No, you're wrong. If the same production values and story were done the same way as Raiders & TOD you would have still have 2 damn good films.

Sorry, that went in the same package as Lucas and Spielbreg brains.

A lot of action scenes were similar to Temple Of Doom in that they were fake.

How do you mean fake, exactly?

it's unclear what happens to Agent Spalko and why

She asks for the knowledge the alien has, he gives it to her, her brain can't take it and she waporises.

Jungle chase reminded me of the mine cart scene it looked like a lot of rear projection matte effects. The river scene reminded me of the fake raft scene with the rear projection matte effects. Except KOTCS had more modern effects.

ROTLA's truck chase I believe had one FX shot.

"Like it" is too strong word but I would say I HATED it.

I even bought it on Blu-Ray giving it a second chance(and for the extras!) but NO!!

Despite of the money they put on it and the "talent" , only word I can find is DISAPPOINTMENT. One star.

not if Giacchino did it, he's yet to prove he's worthy of the next John williams

Calling him the next John Williams would be selling him short.

Selling him short? That would be a huge compliment.

Yeah, I liked it. It's not perfect, but certainly a great popcorn flick, and worthy of the series. And it's a fun rewatch. Great opening sequence.

not if Giacchino did it, he's yet to prove he's worthy of the next John williams

Calling him the next John Williams would be selling him short.

Selling him short? That would be a huge compliment.

We already have John Williams. I am looking forward to Michael Giacchino.

It f*ckin' sucks, it suckin' f*cks, it's a piece of sh*t... and I don't like it.

:thumbup: (for the reference if not for the sentiment ;) )

Giacchino will not be the next John Williams, he'll be Michael Giacchino. And he's done plenty enough to prove to me that he can be the Next Big Thing.