Family Guy is not that funny.

Kevin

Jeez Nick, Golden Girls needs to be higher, frankly at your age the jokes do go over your head. I seriously doubt you get all the inuendo. Will and Grace is the gay version of I Love Lucy, Will = Ricky, Grace=Lucy, Jack=Ethel, and Karen=Fred

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shut up, Friends is 10 times the show that Seinfeld ever was. Now I need to go watch the Fat Monica episodes.

It's still hard for me to believe that The Cleveland Show is actually real. I thought for sure it was a practical joke, with McFarlane making fun of his own crazy exposure.

Seinfeld should have been number 1 (though I haven't seen too many Simpsons episodes).

Seinfeld's overrated. It's a show about nothing and in its later years, got increasingly more about nothing.

Seinfeld should have been number 1 (though I haven't seen too many Simpsons episodes).

Seinfeld's overrated. It's a show about nothing and in its later years, got increasingly more about nothing.

That was the point

Conan O'Brien's contributions to The Simpsons are way overstated. Didn't he just write a few episodes in Season 4?

He was also producer and I think he was on board since Season 2. But, I have always felt the Simpsons was at its funniest when he was involved - and Phil Hartman was still alive.

No one can say they have seen the greatest sitcom ever until they have seen Coupling.

British version.

Say what you want about Sienfeld but it had the worst, and I mean worst, series ending that I've seen in a long time.

No one can say they have seen the greatest sitcom ever until they have seen Coupling.

British version.

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to make that distinction any more. :lol:

The Office doesn't belong that high up. Scrubs should be waaaay higher.

Well... Scrubs seasons 1-4 should be. Effing amazing. Seasons 5, 6 and particularly 7 are just bad, and I'm only watching now for sentimental reasons and the hope that the show will improve. There are still some great moments here and there, at least.

Nah, it's a show about anything.

The characters don't have really anything redeeming about them/aren't likeable. Would you really want to hang out with these people in real life if they existed?

The characters don't have really anything redeeming about them/aren't likeable. Would you really want to hang out with these people in real life if they existed?

They are actually quite likeable. Elaine's (for lack of a better word) feistiness would make being with her a fun time, Kramer is incredibly...interesting, never a dull moment with him, Jerry's inability to ever take something serious, and the constant smile on his face makes him feel more like an audience member than a character, which makes him very likeable, and George's constant misfortune makes the audience feel for him at times, despite the billions of things he does to deserve this.

Of course one of the main points of Seinfeld is that the characters in it are not good people. They're selfish, rude, and generally care about others as long as it suites them. But that's a part of its charm.

What kind of criterion is that? I wouldn't want to hang out with Darth Vader, but I enjoy watching him choke Imperial officers to death nevertheless.

The Office doesn't belong that high up. Scrubs should be waaaay higher.

Well... Scrubs seasons 1-4 should be. Effing amazing. Seasons 5, 6 and particularly 7 are just bad, and I'm only watching now for sentimental reasons and the hope that the show will improve. There are still some great moments here and there, at least.

I've missed most of the last couple of seasons. I have them all on DVD though, currently on Season 4. It's one of my favorite shows.

JD: I saw your penis.

Janitor: When?

JD: When you were in the shower last night.

Janitor: Where were you?

JD: Outside in the bushes. If it makes you feel any better if you looked out the window you would've seen my penis.

Janitor: Why?!

JD: Because I had mine out when I was looking at yours!

Will and Grace has the dubious honour of being one of the few sitcoms that is almost as excruciatingly bad as Friends.

Friends never had the caustic wit that W&G had. Watching Karen alone was worth it.

Funny how you are criticizing the show for beginning EXACTLY why it was such a hit.

I still watch "Family Guy" and think it is at its best when doing absurd pop culture references and musical numbers. However, it started to lose its shine with me when it [and its creator Seth McFarlane] began to frequently shill for the Democratic Party. In Mr. McFarlane's World, one gets the impression that persons from the American North East Coast represent the ultimate evolution of human beings thus far. Anyone else in the world (especially persons from "Red States") are imbecilic buffoons who can barely regulate their own central nervous system without uttering a cogent thought.

Sorry, cheap populism doesn't entertain me.

I still watch "Family Guy" and think it is at its best when doing absurd pop culture references and musical numbers. However, it started to lose its shine with me when it [and its creator Seth McFarlane] began to frequently shill for the Democratic Party. In Mr. McFarlane's World, one gets the impression that persons from the American North East Coast represent the ultimate evolution of human beings thus far. Anyone else in the world (especially persons from "Red States") are imbecilic buffoons who can barely regulate their own central nervous system without uttering a cogent thought.

Agreed. I'm all for satire - but satire both sides. Again, the brilliance of the Simpsons, and to an extent, South Park. Equally opportunity satirists.

If you find family guy offensive you probably take yourself and society way too seriously. Where is your cynicism and contempt for how the world works?

Family Guy is overrated though. Simpsons and futurama are far better. Best comedy ever though is obviously monty python.

Ohh and screw the office, extras is much better.

Agreed. I'm all for satire - but satire both sides. Again, the brilliance of the Simpsons, and to an extent, South Park. Equally opportunity satirists.

Yes, that's the point I was trying to make earlier but didn't want to venture into dangerous territory. I have very, very thick skin. It's extremely difficult to make me feel insulted or offended. The Family Guy Texas episode offends the crap out of me. Every single cheap, off the cuff cliche rolled into one without an ounce of intelligence or humor.

Is that the episode where Bush gives his underwear to Chris? Oh and they all try to kill Peter because he's retarded. :P The show plays on stereotypes sometimes. Thing about stereotypes is that a lot of the times they're true. I'm not saying you want to kill mentally retarded people or anything, I'm speaking generally.

Here's a solution, you don't like it don't watch it. It's as simple as that.

That's a foolish solution, If you don't like something you must insult it and tell everyone your opinion. That's the solution. Get with it Mark.

Funny how you are criticizing the show for beginning EXACTLY why it was such a hit.

I disagree. The characters are jerks, yes, but they definetly have likeable qualities to them.

Here's a solution, you don't like it don't watch it. It's as simple as that.

That's a foolish solution, If you don't like something you must insult it and tell everyone your opinion. That's the solution. Get with it Mark.

Yes silly me, what was I thinking.

I've never understood the fascination about Family Guy. I guess the only funny episode was the Star Wars spoof. Other than that I never found out it funny.

If you like the Star Wars episode, you should like the rest of the show.

• 1 year later...

It's hit and miss for me. Some of the jokes are offensive for the sake of being offensive but aren't that funny. But some moments in the show are sometimes genuinely funny

One show of this kind I've recently been watching that I find to be much more hilarious and enjoyable than I remembered as kid is this one:

Dinosaurs-tv-show-02.jpg

Koray,

I have tried to watch the show but honestly I just don't find it humorous at all.

I haven't watched any of the recent episodes, the show has devolved into an unfocused hobby for Seth MacFarlane IMO. The budget is so high and the plots so demanding for animation, that each episode takes 9 months to create. They don't have a fixed schedule, so episodes are aired randomly, something I don't like. I have seen a couple, and they're still hilarious. There was a low point in the show a couple seasons ago, but last I saw it was starting to get back to form. The first 5 seasons are still pure comedic genius though.

One show of this kind I've recently been watching that I find to be much more hilarious and enjoyable than I remembered as kid is this one:

Dinosaurs-tv-show-02.jpg

haha I remember that show, I enjoyed it when it was on.