50 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your favorite:

• The Raiders March
    • The Force theme

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Finale and End Credits (of ESB) combined are like the best 6 minutes of film scoring ever

except for the even better minutes at the end of ET, or Star Wars, or Temple of Doom, or Superman, or Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

The Finale and End Credits (of ESB) combined are like the best 6 minutes of film scoring ever

I dunno about a six minutes rule, but I'd say the opening credits of Superman are superior.

I don't think I've even heard the end credits to HP&TPS.

You should, they're very good. But they're hardly what I would call vintage Williams. ESB knocks any Williams H. Potter score into the middle of next week.

I disagree, HP and the Sorcerer's Stone holds up quite well. The end credits are terrific, and that last minute is unbelievable. Rebel Fleet is lovely, I think its grand, but its not Throne Room, or Hedwigs Theme, The Love Theme from Superman, hell even the Main title to Towering Inferno good.

that last minute is unbelievable.

Absolutely. But as a none HP fan (I like, but ultimately, I'm indifferent) I am perhaps biased towards everything pre-Harry Potter, where Williams is concerned. I do however appreciate the magic it has become for many fans of the score.

that last minute is unbelievable.

Absolutely. But as a none HP fan (I like, but ultimately I'm indifferent) I am perhaps biased towards everything pre Harry Potter, where Williams is concerned. I do however appreciate the magic it has become for many fans of the score.

I'm the same way. The closest I've come to being a "HP Fan" is that I quite liked POA the book. I've tried to sit through the films (I went to the cinema for the first one) but I just don't find anything to interest me at all.

The score to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone needs to be released in full.

I don't think I've even heard the end credits to HP&TPS.

The end credits are simply "Harry's Wondrous World" followed by "Hedwig's Theme". Tracks 2 and 19 of the OST

All the above end credits are very, very, very good. I think those of us who are sane Williams fans can agree on that. I'm not gonna waste my time trying to ascertain which one is better than all the others. =P

Thanks for the kind words all (including Joe, who's sense of humor I certainly get and appreciate). There actually wasn't a whole lot of pure work involved, and I enjoy doing things like this. It's been fun, and I'm actually wanting to do more as long as we all don't get polled out. I think Ray had it worse than me putting together those wonderful logos for all the themes.

John- who agrees that we need a complete SS ASAP

Yes, thank you John! This has been very fun. :blink:

I love the end credits to ESB, but before them I would choose the End Credits to Star Wars, Raiders, ToD, LC and Jurassic Park.

I'm madly in love with Last Crusade (score and film), but there isn't too much new music in the LC end credits. Isn't most of it tracked from other bits of the score.

The score to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone needs to be released in full.

Who's the obsessive film score fan now? ;)

I'm madly in love with Last Crusade (score and film), but there isn't too much new music in the LC end credits. Isn't most of it tracked from other bits of the score.

Probably is, but even as an edited suite of music I love it.

I said in the very beginning it would win, but I think we all knew it would.

There are tons of themes I would put above Raiders March, but probably because I'm just tired of hearing it so much lately.

As promised, here's the full results from the nominations phase. There were 31 total ballots:

The Top 12

1. The Raiders March- 19 votes (61.3%)

2. The Force theme- 18 (58.1%)

3. The Imperial March- 17 (54.8%)

4. Hedwig's Theme-14 (45.2%)

5. Superman March- 12 (38.7%)

6. Star Wars main theme- 11 (35.9%)

7. Jurrasic Park main theme and ET Flying theme- 9 (29%)

9. A Window to the Past, Han Solo and the Princess, and the Ark theme- 8 (25.8%)

11. Superman love theme and Slave Children's theme- 7 (22.6%)

Just Missed

Jurassic Park Island Fanfare and Schindler's List- 6 (19.4%)

Anakin's theme, Across the Stars, and Leia's theme- 5 (16.1%)

Monica's theme, Neverland theme, Fawkes' theme, Seven Years in Tibet, Harry's theme (Harry's Wondrous World), and the Grail theme- 4 (12.9%)

The Three Vote (9.7%) Group

Yoda's theme

Hook flying theme

Born on the 4th of July

Somewhere in My Memory

Capt. Hook's main theme (includes votes for Smee's Plan)

Rememberances

The Blue Fairy theme

Cadillac of the Skies

The Chairman's Waltz

21 themes recieved 2 votes (6.5%). 39 themes recieved one vote (3.2%).

Major (in my mind at least) themes that recieved zero votes:

Death Star motif

Parade of the Ewoks

all TPM themes other than Anakin's theme and Duel of the Fates (2 votes)

Battle of the Heroes

Krypton fanfare and Kryptonite theme

all the Superman IV themes

ET and Me

Raiders Nazi fanfare

Love Theme from Temple of Doom/Willie's theme

The Chamber of Secrets

all Indy 4 themes except Call of the Crystal (1 vote)

Dracula

The Patriot main theme (the love theme got 2 votes)

nothing from War of the Worlds :)

Brilliant!

Nice to see I (and most) were right from the beginning.

Now we just need to see where the Force theme figures in the greater scheme of things. Could it be THE greatest movie theme of all time? I think it probably is. Next to Driving Miss Daisy.

Great work again Ray, thanks!

OK, I know we may be polled out, but here's the ideas that I've been kicking around. I think these themes are the ones that usually make it to the tops of these lists and are the most popular because they're the best, but I'm sympathetic to those that commented that it was pretty much the same old, same old. So, I'm thinking of:

1. Another tournament with simply the 12 themes from this bracket eliminated. We can do new nominations, or I can use the old ones. Slave Children through the 4 vote group is an even 12.

OR

b. This is the radical idea. A new tournament, with a round of nominations and all, with ALL the themes from ALL the following scores ineligible: all Star Wars, all Indy, all Potter, all JP, Superman, and ET. I'm inclined to keep Hook, Schindler's List, and Jaws since they weren't represented in the last bracket.

And if we want to do another one I'm certainly willing to hear ideas on the structure of the tournament itself.

(There's a subtle Doctor Who reference in this post for those in the know. Can you find it? :P )

Brilliant!

Nice to see I (and most) were right from the beginning.

Now we just need to see where the Force theme figures in the greater scheme of things. Could it be THE greatest movie theme of all time? I think it probably is. Next to Driving Miss Daisy.

It must be well liked if it can take down the Raiders March amidst the aftershock of the Indy Mania.

Having said that, it didn't even make my original nomination list.

Nice work, Ray!

John, I really like both ideas you had. The only problem with the second is that there are plenty of unpopular themes from the scores listed, so it would be sort of unfair to them.

Nice job Ray.

As far as another contest goes it sure would be nice to see some other derserving themes instead of the usual predictable results.

Yeah, I agree with Ray and Mark, the second option is more appealing to me. But it is a bit extreme, indy4 has a point that there are lots of unheralded themes from popular scores. So I've been searching for a middle way, and I think I have it.

3., or c. All themes that recieved 3 or more votes in the last nominations round are ineligible. I'll put the list in the first post of a new tournament thread. That'll knock out some of Hook, Schindler's List, AI, and a few others as well, but it'll give some of the lesser known themes from the bigger scores a chance too.

I'd go for any contest where basically all franchises are banned. That knocks out SW, Indy, Jurassic, Home Alone, and Potter.

In other words, finding the best 'standalone' and undeveloped theme, and there are zillions of them.

It's nice the Force Theme won this, but I do have a 'but it's from Star Wars... what a surprise' feeling deep down <_<