The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

Could you say it's Goldsmith's Close Encounters?

Except that the scores have virtually nothing* in common... no. :)

*) actually they do... both contain a take on the Dies Irae.

Well, I just meant in the sense that they're both highly acclaimed by aficionados but perhaps aren't the most accessible to newbies.

That, and they both feature aliens. :lol:

We're not supposed to discuss the footwear around here, but I'll bite. There's only one unofficial version that I know of and it shares the same label as the soundtracks collection, give or take a letter. However, it sounds terrible. Listenable, but still bad. I turned my back on it completely with the release of the frustratingly incomplete box set.

Does anyone else find the chorus in Zubin Mehta/L.A. Philharmonic version of the finale from CE3K hilarious? Overall it's a great performance, but LOL. Maybe it's just the recording.

Many years ago I, along with several friends, tried to find all the hidden stuff in the space battle. We also looked at the Asteroid Field sequence from TESB to find the potatoes.

We never could correctly identify anything.

Does anyone know where the kitchen sink is, in ROTJ?

Oops, the kitchen sink is not in ROTJ, it's in ROTS, crashing into the underside of a republician crusier. The thing in ROTJ, is a tennis shoe. Sorry.

I have NEVER been able to spot R2-D2, and C-3PO in "Raiders..."., but I spotted R2-D2 in CE3K, the very first time I saw it.

Does anyone know where the kitchen sink is, in ROTJ?

Oops, the kitchen sink is not in ROTJ, it's in ROTS, crashing into the underside of a republician crusier. The thing in ROTJ, is a tennis shoe. Sorry.

I have NEVER been able to spot R2-D2, and C-3PO in "Raiders..."., but I spotted R2-D2 in CE3K, the very first time I saw it.

Were the actual characters R2-D2 and C-3P0 in Raiders? I know that C-3P0 is the number on the side of the seaplane that Indy escapes from the jungle on at the beginning.

There's a column or something in the chamber where the Ark is, and some of the hieroglyphics look like the two droids. I've seen it in special features, I think, but not in the film itself.

Here's one that's been bugging me for a while. There's a pair of CDs from the 90s that contain identical content but credit separate orchestras. One is Silva's Jurassic Park: The Classic John Williams (credits Prague) and the other is Giants of Cinema, which credits the LA Symphonic Orchestra. What is the deal here? Who actually performed this? I thought it was Prague with William Motzing conducting.

Anybody know specifically what version of "Creep" by Radiohead was used in the trailer for The Social Network? It's gorgeous, but I can't find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnamMtQs1fI

Found your answer in two seconds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Social_Network#Marketing

It's probably the content, but that's a boot. The Academy "For Your Consideration" promo, I have the cover from the JW collection site. At least, I think that's it. It'd be something along those lines, definitely not that auction.

aipromo01.jpg

Why did Bear McCreary compose the non-existant score for Step Up 3D?

Because he was friends with Jon M. Chu. They were in college together or some garbage like that. He may not be very recognized, but even I thought that movie was a bit below him.

I wouldn't really call those main themes, actually. DOTF and BOTH are only used for the end battles of their respective films. "Across the Stars" and "The Imperial March" are both used quite a bit in their respective films, but they're still just leitmotifs in a saga that has only one main theme - Luke's theme - with the Force theme being a lesser-known but even more frequent contributor. As for ROTJ...well, the Emperor's theme gets more mileage than any other new theme in the film. I wouldn't call that a main theme either, though.

I wouldn't really call those main themes, actually. DOTF and BOTH are only used for the end battles of their respective films. "Across the Stars" and "The Imperial March" are both used quite a bit in their respective films, but they're still just leitmotifs in a saga that has only one main theme - Luke's theme - with the Force theme being a lesser-known but even more frequent contributor. As for ROTJ...well, the Emperor's theme gets more mileage than any other new theme in the film. I wouldn't call that a main theme either, though.

what he means is whats the the "Star" theme in ROTJ, usually the star themes are the themes that are in the credits, which would be "Parade of the Ewoks", and "Luke and Leia"

Well, Williams tends to just pick new themes he likes and throws them into the credits. I mean, the Force theme is heard more times total than any other theme in the six films, but it only makes one end credits appearance (in "Battle of the Heroes"). "Luke and Leia" is used in just one scene, yet it gets a whole concert suite treatment.

Well, Williams tends to just pick new themes he likes and throws them into the credits. I mean, the Force theme is heard more times total than any other theme in the six films, but it only makes one end credits appearance (in "Battle of the Heroes"). "Luke and Leia" is used in just one scene, yet it gets a whole concert suite treatment.

actually its used more than in one scene, when Leia and Han are talking about Luke

what he means is whats the the "Star" theme in ROTJ, usually the star themes are the themes that are in the credits, which would be "Parade of the Ewoks", and "Luke and Leia"

Yes, that's more or less what I meant. I realize "main theme" isn't an appropriate term for these themes, but I couldn't think of any other to describe theme. If i called them that way it's because each of them is related to the main subject of each film : TPM is (to a certain extent) all about the duel between the two Jedi and Darth Maul, AOTC is about Anakin and Padmé love story, ROTS is about Anakin and Obi-Wan duel, ANH is about Luke, and ESB is about... well... the Empire striking back.

actually ROTS is about the rift growing between Anakin and Obi-wan, ANH is about saving Leia,

Quick question !

What is ROTJ "main" theme ? Is that the only Star Wars episode with no "main" theme ? I mean, Episode I has Duel Of The Fates, Episode II has Accross the Stars, Episode III - Battle Of The Heroes, Episode IV - Luke's Theme, Episode V - The Imperial March... But I was never able to identify a "main" theme for Episode VI (Shame on me if there is one !). Anyone ?

- The Emporor's Theme

- The Ewok theme

- Luke and Leia's theme

actually its used more than in one scene, when Leia and Han are talking about Luke

Oh yeah, you're right - it does make another appearance near the end. Still, that's only two scenes.

I don't think of the Star Wars movies as having any other main theme. Imperial March and the others are just supporting themes. 2 of the prequel themes are just battle themes. Really, Imperial March and the Episode II love theme are the closest to your main theme theory since they're so prominently developed throughout the score. But Jedi is just an arsenal of themes with none unifying other than the main theme and the other prequels are pretty much the same situation.

Because any TV composer would be a fool to turn down a chance at their first major theatrical feature.

Or for the long answer from the man himself, linky.

Because any TV composer would be a fool to turn down a chance at their first major theatrical feature.

Or for the long answer from the man himself, linky.

But it's a nightmare in the case of Step Up because the score is pretty much pointless and not in the foreground. I had hoped his debut to the big screen would have been something marvelous, but instead we get the generic little bits of romance music in between the pop songs. I may be out of line, not seeing the whole film/hearing the score separately, but these films just suck so bad.

However, the blog post was a good read, and I'm happy to learn he's scoring SOCOM 4, which is something I'm now really looking forward to.

It's funnier in my mind when he says superc***. Plus it still doesn't sound like supercargo.

Of course after all these years Zod still doesn't sound like he saying "Heirs!" :)