The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

• 1 month later...

Hello all. 

One fellow teacher from the primary school I'm working, is searching for some music to put as background in an Aesop's fable (the Dove and the Ant), for a kid's radio show.

She likes this one, and asked me if I have any other suggestion.

Do you have anything in mind from film music? I can't think of something right now...

9 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Do you have anything in mind from film music? I can't think of something right now...

Might be a bit too active…

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, seems to happen at least once or twice a week, and it has done so for a couple of years now. The whole "Service is unavailable" error message.

Thor's exactly right, this happens on a regular basis and has for many years now.  About twice a week sounds about right, it could be even more than that

I have a quick question to  non-US residents that buy from ebay:

Besides the price of the product and the shipping, ebay adds a VAT to my purchase, increasing the total sum of money I'm paying.

Does that mean that I won't pay customs?

What is that VAT?

VAT is value added tax. It applies to consumer goods and varies from country to county. Typically, if you import stuff into the EU, you have to pay VAT *and* customs (the VAT threshold used to around €20 in Austria before they changed it a couple of years ago, while the customs threshold was somewhere above €200, so usually we'd only have to pay VAT). If eBay handles the VAT but not any customs fees (if any apply), then you'll still have to pay the customs fees, but not the VAT.

By the way, VAT is also the reason why consumer electronics always seem to be so much cheaper in the US and in the EU, because EU list prices usually include the VAT (commonly 20% on electronics and stuff), while US prices don't, because in the US varies from state to state. When you walk into a US grocery store to buy a coke, the price on the label usually doesn't include the VAT, and you have to pay more than is printed on the label.

On 26/02/2024 at 12:39 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

Is FSM down for everyone else at the moment?

Appears FSM is down again, but this time a new error message than the usual "Service is unavailable". Same for anyone else? Geez, Lukas is really having problems over there.

Just now, filmmusic said:

Is anyone having issues logging in facebook?

Facebook, messenger, and Instagram are experiencing outages at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Am I right in thinking that there is a re-recording of Lee Holdridge's score to Splash as well as a release of the original tracks? I've been looking at buying it but there seem to be two versions at BSX, but I can't work out if one is just an expanded version of the other.

Original Tracks: https://buysoundtrax.myshopify.com/products/lee-holdridge-splash-original-soundtrack-recording

Re-recording(?): https://buysoundtrax.myshopify.com/products/splash-music-from-the-motion-picture-by-lee-holdridge-1

14 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Am I right in thinking that there is a re-recording of Lee Holdridge's score to Splash as well as a release of the original tracks? I've been looking at buying it but there seem to be two versions at BSX, but I can't work out if one is just an expanded version of the other.

Original Tracks: https://buysoundtrax.myshopify.com/products/lee-holdridge-splash-original-soundtrack-recording

Re-recording(?): https://buysoundtrax.myshopify.com/products/splash-music-from-the-motion-picture-by-lee-holdridge-1

Per the descriptions, the former is the (expanded?) release and the latter is a rerecording by Holdridge himself.

7 hours ago, Stark said:

Per the descriptions, the former is the (expanded?) release and the latter is a rerecording by Holdridge himself.

Thank you. I clearly didn’t read carefully enough!

iPhone: If you view your albums in the music library, does anyone know what artists are listed next to the titles? Artist, or album artist, or both?

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

iPhone: If you view your albums in the music library, does anyone know what artists are listed next to the titles? Artist, or album artist, or both?

It only shows the artist alongside the track if it’s different to the album artist. If the entire album is the same artist or album artist it only appears under the album name and artwork. See screen shot. Does that help?

IMG_6683.jpeg

On 24/03/2024 at 7:37 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

See screen shot. Does that help?

He literally can't see it.  He's blind.

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

He literally can't see it.  He's blind.

Appreciate that, hence I also described it as best I could, but thought a screen shot would be helpful for anyone else with a similar question.

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I just got Presumed Innocent on DVD. Is it normal there's only a 2 channel audio track? Was no surround sound version released?

No. The Blu-ray has also a stereo track.

Sound mix

Dolby Stereo

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100404/technical/?ref_=tt_spec_sm

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

That's just plain weird. How did it work in theatres then?

PRESUMED INNOCENT was shown in Dolby Pro Logic (aka Dolby Surround) or, possibly, Dolby SR, which was a 4.0 system (three front channels, and a mono rear channel).

15 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

PRESUMED INNOCENT was shown in Dolby Pro Logic (aka Dolby Surround) or, possibly, Dolby SR, which was a 4.0 system (three front channels, and a mono rear channel).

I don't know about cinema setups. But the home consumer version of "Dolby Surround Pro Logic" is actually a 2.0 format, because the additional channels are not discrete. Instead, they're encoded into the stereo signal: When decoding (i.e. during playback), anything that's exactly phase identical between the left and right channel is removed from those and instead sent to the centre channel. Anything that's exactly phase inverted between both channels is sent to the rears (there are usually two of them, but they're mono, and from what I remember their frequency range is limited as well).

This also means that the "surround" part of the whole system was very limited. It wasn't directional surround, it was just able to play ambient sounds in the back of the listener. Nothing like spaceships zooming from behind your rear left to your front right.

A nice side effect is that a regular stereo recording can also make use of the centre channel as long as it contains mono components. E.g. if you have a film mix where the music and sfx track is stereo, but the dialogue is mono (i.e. phase identical between both channels), you automatically get a free centre channel for the dialogue. And apparently (from what I remember reading), real life acoustics also have the effect of making ambient sounds more or less phase inverted between the left and right channels, effectively sending them to the rears).

On home video media, this means that a "Dolby Surround" track is effectively just a stereo track. To allow the receiver to automatically activate Dolby Surround encoding, there's a flag on the audio track that tells it whether or not it's a DS track. Unfortunately, many receivers don't allow you to manually override that flag - if a track has the flag, it is played in surround mode, if it doesn't, it isn't. I find that extremely annoying in the case of mono films that are encoded as a stereo track, without the DS flag (which seems to be the norm for some reason). A receiver would send a 1.0 track to the centre channel, but a 2.0 track without the DS flag will be sent to the left and right channels and leave the centre unused.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

That's just plain weird. How did it work in theatres then?

It was the early 90s. Studios weren't paying for every drama film to get a surround mix back then.

39 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Sadly, true :(

Stereo is just fine too. Why everything must be surround?

Especially in drama films.

7 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Because it can. Because it always sounds better if the music has a little more room to breathe.

Well, surround is not always a good thing.

I have watched old films that have been ruined by boxy sound in the 5.1 mixes (or even missing elements), which sound perfectly fine in stereo (or even mono).

18 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I don't doubt it. But once you CAN do it it surround, properly, you should.

Agreed but I have to admit that even just playing stereo recordings though a surround sound setup gives a bit of depth to the sound field even if it’s not a true 3D space. 

I'm not sure a drama with a pretty low key chamber-esque score is going to massively benefit from proper surround sound.

A DVD my brother has from the BBC from the late 00s has a sequence with a lot of effects, dialogue and some music, but if you separate the 5.1 channels you find that all of the sfx and vocals are mixed entirely in the centre, leaving the music almost entirely isolated in the sides, and the rears just have vague echoes. At that point a TV budget evidently didn't allow for the sorts of mixes you get now.