What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Yeah but a premise does not make a series.

Well, it's a start. And in the case of Homeland, the unusual setup can lead to interesting character dynamics which can lead into fascinating dramatic consequences, very much like in Breaking Bad. Of course, the latter is superior on all accounts.

Screwball it ain't. But the rampant seriousness of things like HOMELAND desperately needs counterbalancing and usually the more quirky british programs deliver it in spades. SHERLOCK isn't something that wants to be taken overly serious and maybe that doesn't sit too well with you?

Apparently Elementary is just as good as Sherlock, in an American sensibilities sort of way. Claire loves Sherlock and she's going to give it a go. It has far more episodes, too.

You mean by turning Holmes in an annoying pratt who states the obvious, to contrast with the clueless homicide squads? Don't watch it, it's shit. Got nothing on the Moffat/Gatiss series.

The reasoning seems pleaded.

I don't know what you mean. "Seems pleaded"? Do you mean 'questionable'? Well, you started it with suggesting I had a problem with Sherlock because it didn't take itself too seriously.

Screwball it ain't. But the rampant seriousness of things like HOMELAND desperately needs counterbalancing and usually the more quirky british programs deliver it in spades. SHERLOCK isn't something that wants to be taken overly serious and maybe that doesn't sit too well with you?

One of the main reason I love Sherlock is that it's often simply hilarious! Some great comedy in there.

Finished season 3 of Sherlock now. The second and third episodes are much better. But the whole thing is starting to border on ridiculous (coming from a Lost fan, I know)... Not sure why, but the final episode reminded me of Christopher Nolan's films. Not sure what does that has to do with Sherlock Holmes anymore, but then again same things happened to Star Trek and Superman so what do I know... But still, despite my reservations, it is really enjoyable (if you manage to switch off your brain).

Karol

The Legend Of Korra

Started this one as it's free on Prime. The character dynamics aren't as rich as Avatar, but there's a wealth of atmospheric and environmental detail that brings this series to life. Aside from the glaringly fantastic animation, the analogous roaring 20s NY cityscape and its socio-political undertones offers a good counterbalance to Avatar's spiritual outdoor adventurous world. Music is fantastic, as expected, with its jazz influences and more traditional Southeast Asian stylings.

I thought the characters and story lines were more superficial with the new show. Not nearly as cool as Avatar was. But the art design and animation was great. I only got through the first season though.

The Big O

Something in some other thread about anime reminded me of this show, which used to air late at night on Adult Swim. I've started rewatching it now that I remembered what it was called. It's slick and stylish, with a very singular atmosphere that I really dig. Think of Batman meets Bond, set in a Nolan noir universe with a large dose of Kubrickian befuddlement.

Also should mention the fantastic score, which swings effortlessly from neo-classical, Mozart homages to cool jazzyness, and a lot in between.

Sheldon and Amy sitting in a tree, K I S S I N G. well actually it was a train

How I Met Your Mother 9x16 How Your Mother Met Me

Wow! One of the most terrific of the show's entire run! The mother is so absolutely sweet and wow is her story heartbreaking. And telling that story while also going back through all the 9 years of her and Ted almost meeting and showing her side of it all was a really great idea. Her and Ted really are quite perfect for each other. Loved her ukelele rendition of La Vie En Rose at the end and how Ted noticed it. Seriously though, what a fantastic episode, it goes very far into making the overall lackluster final season well worth it if they can go from hear to a satisfying ending!

Community 5x03 Basic Intergluteal Numismatics

The Ass Crack Bandit! What a weird episode to kind come out of nowhere. I assume the style was a parody of Hannibal (the tv show), which I haven't seen yet. Though I suppose there are other similar shows to that too. So Pierce is dead... was this not known before? I don't even remember what happened to him in his last season 4 episode anyway. Anyways, I like that at the end of the episode you don't know who the ACB is. I wonder if they'll return to that before the end of the season, or if they are writing this season assuming there will be a sixth (#sixseasonsandamovie right?)

Actually, by the end of the episode, Ted and The Mother had STILL not met, which might be about the only point i'd take away from it. A better name for the episode might have been "How Your Mother Almost Met Me A Bunch Of Times" :P I did like how it opened with Kelly being in the wrong MacLaren's and arriving at the other one with The Mother in it, and then the opening credits were of her with all of her friends.

Seriously though, it was a great episode. I had more to say about it, but I don't remember now, I watched it a week ago before I left for vacation

Finished up Season 1 of The Legend Of Korra. Pretty fantastic. Kudos to them for continuing this universe in an interesting and convincing manner. The only thing I don't like is how most of the characters are just direct descendants of the ones from The Last Airbender.

Next up is Dollhouse. Watched the first episode. It has an interesting premise and hot women but the writing/acting is kinda meh.

Joey, did you see my thoughts on How Your Mother Met Me?

Parks and Recreation 6x12 Farmer's Market
Liked all the vegetable pun humor. They are still kind of treading water figure what to do with Leslie's career now. The B story with Ann and Chris was nice, as Chris actually learned a good lesson that I need to learn myself. The C story with Andy performing for children was very good too.
Community 5x04 Cooperative Polygraphy
A bottle episode! Community seems to do these better than many other shows. Pretty good episode revealing a lot about the cast of characters. So this is how they are going to write Troy off the show, eh? I suppose they had to come up with something. I guess it somewhat fits into the show and the arc Troy has had. Poor Abed :( The end tag was great.

How I Met Your Mother 9x17 Sunrise

Damnit. They had to follow up the great episode focusing on the mother with ANOTHER episode about Ted still having feelings for Robin! :banghead: At least that storyline seems to FINALLY be over now, and I suppose it ending in a somewhat realistic and satisfying way. I guess it's all about getting Ted truly ready to meet the mother, eh? The B story, with Marshal and Lilly working out their Italy/NYC argument was also pretty well handled, and the jokes with 2006 Lilly were funny. The C story with Barney and 2 random new characters was freaking weird - what in the bloody hell was that all about?

Community 5x05 Geothermal Escapism

The floor is hot lava! This was pretty good, reminiscent of the paintball episodes from seasons 1 and 2, but was over way too fast. They probably should have expanded this into a 2 parter. Nice dig at his stage name with the title of the boat. I assume he'll return from the boat trip by the end of the season? I think I read he was doing 6 episodes this year, and this is only #5...

Jason there is no other way to say that was a great episode, but the show is consistently romantic, even if the show isn't consistant in quality.

The Opening of the Walking Dead was f-ing awesome.

Hershel......

There's a separate thread just for The Walking Dead

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23919&view=getlastpost

the show is consistently romantic, even if the show isn't.

What?

Anyways yes the show has always been romantic, especially in Ted's ideals and everyone's discussions about dating and such. The episode about The Mother was so perfect I must say again I wish they had introduced her way sooner and that she was a major part of every episode by now. We're going to just start falling in love with her and the show will end.

I won't waste my time looking for that thread, sadly the things that should be micro managed here are not and the things that shouldn't are.

I had to go back and edit my comment about HIMYM.

Well if you won't keep your Walking Dead spoilers in its proper thread, please tell me which other threads you'll violate until I've had proper time to catch up with tonight's show.

Perception: Season 1

Second go-round, and I like the concept. Yes, it's another procedural... but Rachael Lee Cook and Eric McCormack give it a warmth and quirkiness that really sets it apart from TNT's other brethren like Major Crimes and The Closer. And it's the first show that I've taken to McCormack as a lead... never liked "Will & Grace" (had to force myself to watch a few episodes).

Although it's annoying that Cook never bothers to cover up her Minnesota accent... even though the show is set in Chicago.

"waste my time looking for that thread"? Oh yea, it's really hard to click on the giant stickied thread at the top of General Discussion....

The JWFan.net Forum Express

I am not sure I've visited that thread. Why must everything fit into tiny little dedicated spots. JWFan the aspergers friendly Internet site!

Parks and Recreation 6x13 Ann and Chris

A pretty good episode they seemed to have definitely spent a good amount of time on to make it all good as it could be, and give Ann and Chris the send-off they deserve. I really liked all the individual character's goodbyes to Ann and Chris - Donna's, Tom's, and Andy's, and especially Ron's :P to Ann, and the guys ending up with the box present for Chris. Going back to the park by Ann's old house from the first season was cool too, and April and Ann's goodbye was sweet. Poor Leslie, she's really gonna miss her some Ann! I hope they both return for the eventual series finale, and hopefully do so for more of the episode than Carrel's return to The Office.

Community 3x06 Analysis of Cork-Based Networking

Holy bloody guest stars! Was all this done because it's the first episode without Troy? Robert Patrick, Nathan Fillion, Paget Brewster, probably even more I'm forgetting, wow! I actually kinda liked the storyline with Annie and Hickey needing a neverending line of favors done to get the simplest task done. And the return of the coat check girl! I assume Abed's line about the gas leak was referring to the Harmon-less season 4?

"waste my time looking for that thread"? Oh yea, it's really hard to click on the giant stickied thread at the top of General Discussion....

The JWFan.net Forum Express

I am not sure I've visited that thread. Why must everything fit into tiny little dedicated spots. JWFan the aspergers friendly Internet site!

Jason just edited the DS9 thread i was posting reviews in. Separating my contributions because they "didnt belong there".

OCD!

So the never-used DS9 music thread can't be used to discuss the show, but we don't need a Tolkien subforum?

W

THE

F

?

Wojo becoming a hypocrite? Ragging me in one thread and feigning disgust in another over the same issue???