New FSM: Twilight Zone: The Movie

TownerFan

No,I don;t think it's a conspiracy

But the fact are there:

Williams>>>>> A lot of LP re-issues , unreleased music always apparently "cannot be released" , even if it's from some crap movie nobody remembers

Goldsmith>>>>Almost always complete score presentations

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here I finally thought KM got the big picture. You are so full of bs with your ridiculous theories.

Ok lets go over it again.

1. Williams has had most of his scores released at the time of the films.

2. Alot of these Goldsmith scores never received a release or had very little music released at the time of the film's release.

3. Goldsmith scored quite a few more movies than Williams did.

4. Williams was pretty much the first on the block to receive expanded/ complete versions for his important films.

5. Quite a few of Williams original albums got generous releases and still get them compared to Goldsmith.

6. Varese released quite a few of Williams scores to begin with.

7. Harry Potter and the Prequels and KOTCS are too new to receive an expanded release at this time.

8. 9 of Williams big films belong to Lucasfilm

9. If these labels could have released Williams music, they would have. The studios have alot to do with it.

No,I don;t think it's a conspiracy

But the fact are there:

Williams>>>>> A lot of LP re-issues , unreleased music always apparently "cannot be released" , even if it's from some crap movie nobody remembers

Goldsmith>>>>Almost always complete score presentations

Okay... but let's remember that Goldsmith wrote two or three times as many scores as Williams has and that many of his scores were never released or were represented very marginally. Say what you will about Williams' album production; at least he consistently puts out 60+ minute CDs. I would also think that studios are more often willing to sell the rights to Goldsmith scores because of how forgotten his films tend to be. Besides, many of the people who work at FSM, Intrada, etc. have made it clear that they're the utmost fans of Williams' music. I think you know this, KM, and you're just pissed that the scores you're interested in aren't being released.

I remember Nick Redman mentioned that he was "sitting on the tapes" for the complete Monsignor and was just waiting to release the score. It's disappointing that that didn't happen.

Yes I think I just said that. :|

Looks like we posted at the same time.

I know , but there seems to have been a "lack of willing" somewhere along the line .Or they cut corners to release something else.

I wonder at what point I should stop buying these limited edition Goldsmith releases. I haven't determined if I'm buying them just to own, because in a few months' time they'll be OOP and the sealed copies will cost fourfold if not more. I have not seen Twilight Zone: The Movie, I never heard of One Little Indian or Extreme Prejudice until the scores were announced, and my memories of Baby are 20 years old. So I wonder if I'm buying these so I can share them with family members who do know the movies, or if I buy them because y'all here say they're a big deal. I do enjoy them, however. Good Goldsmith is awesome to listen to, and I don't have much bad Goldsmith.

I buy Goldsmith's music because it's good and he is Williams' equal as far as I'm concerned, and Williams is my favorite composer of all time.

Apparently Mr Bulk worked on this release. Neil, we'd love to hear any stories you have about it...

Now...who would recommend this to a budding Goldsmith fan?

If you have the original CD, frankly not so much.

It's one of those cases were people fall over themselves in excitement, but i fail to see what it offers that the Warner release does not.

Let me put it this way... this was the first ever Goldsmith score that I sought out and purchased back in the 80s. It is a wonderful way to sample the range of Goldsmith's voices, since it is an anthology piece with 4 different stories told. It's rich, harmonic, percussive, haunting, funny, sentimental, scary, and wondrous all at the same time. So, yeah, this was the one that sold me on Goldsmith.

I can see skipping One Little Indian, but this is an absolute must-have, and should be in everyone's collection.

ok,so tracks 4-5-6-7 are new?

Yes. And 23 may have some additional alternate stuff, but I didn't really study the clip closely.

Mark, don't get me wrong, I'm glad that all of these Goldsmith scores are getting the lavish treatment. I'm sure I'll buy most of the biggies, I was just thinking out loud.

I hope that someday Williams scores get the same kind of lavish treatment that these Goldsmiths are getting.

Twilight Zone is one of my favorite Goldsmith scores of the '80s- especially "Kick the Can" for which he composed one of his most sensitive, emotive themes ever as far as I'm concerned. It also showed what compositional heights Jerry could be inspired to go for Spielberg had he ever worked on a full length feature with him.

There's so much variety in Twilight Zone it's almost impossible for someone to dislike all of it. I love the Stravinsky-like string work on Nightmare At 20,000ft quite a bit too. But truthfully, his harmonic sensibilities in Kick the Can always astound me because they are so chromatic but still have that beautiful tonality that Williams has been able to inject in his scores all these years.

Let me add my hearty recommendation to the list of others. This is easily in my top 5 favorite Goldsmith scores. Yes, for the variety - but primarily for the fantastically gorgeous material for Kick the Can. I am "falling all over myself," to quote someone on here, because this new album features previously unreleased bits from this segment, including a beautiful harp performance of the central theme. I am "falling all over myself" because a newly treated and expanded version, with superior sound and probably a good bit of background information and analysis from FSM, of one of my favorite Goldsmith scores is like Christmas morning suddenly popping up in the middle of April.

This is Goldsmith at his melodic, emotional, quirky, 80's best. It's one of the scores that began to elevate him (in my mind) to the same Mt. Olympian atmosphere that Mr. Williams inhabits.

Mark, don't get me wrong, I'm glad that all of these Goldsmith scores are getting the lavish treatment. I'm sure I'll buy most of the biggies, I was just thinking out loud.

I hope that someday Williams scores get the same kind of lavish treatment that these Goldsmiths are getting.

I wasn't being critical, just thinking out loud too. :rolleyes:

I think if you take a look you will realize Williams' works have received the same treatment.

Look at Williams' unreleased scores and the studios involved. Goldsmith scored quite a few films for smaller companies and did a quite a bit of recording overseas. That right there probably makes it easier for his scores to get released. Plus he scored more films than John Williams did.

Trust me, Lukas Kendall, Doug Fake and all the others who work in this business have great admiration and respect for Williams. I believe John Morgan mentioned that he would like to re-record some of Williams' earlier scores for the Tribute Film Classics.

Me

Me too.

You get some glimpses as to what Goldsmith would do with Gremlins and Kick The Can is a lovely sequence that even Williams might not have topped, had he scored the film.

I'm not sure. I adore the score, and listen to the CD quite often. But I'm not I need more of it...I think I'll wait until I hear about the sound of it.

We should keep a running list each time one of these limited releases comes out, so we have an idea how big of a dent into the "3000 limited edition" number that this message board makes.

We should keep a running list each time one of these limited releases comes out, so we have an idea how big of a dent into the "3000 limited edition" number that this message board makes.

::dent::

I passed on this one. There's just some Goldsmith that I respect more than I enjoy -- Poltergeist and Alien, for instance -- and based on the sample clips I felt this would fall into that category. Among relatively recent releases, I went with Goldsmith's One Little Indian, Previn's Two for the Seesaw, and Rózsa's Time After Time -- and then tacked on Goldsmith's Wild Rovers for good measure.

I thought Wild Rovers was out of print. If it's still available I'd recommend people get it, might be Goldsmith's best western score.

I just got this Twlight Zone release in the mail today! Very special thanks to a certain forum member getting it for me. :):lol:;)

Anyway... lol.

The soundtrack and it's presentation is fantastic! Sound quality is superb and it really is, as advertised, the complete score including unused music, album edits, and the two songs made for the film. The one thing almost better than the music itself is the incredible booklet that comes with it. It has a nice design with a great amount of photos and delves not only into the behind-the-scenes of the score in detail (with quotes and essays from various people), but the actual movie itself. This in itself is great since the DVD release had NO bonus features except for a theatrical trailer, and if anyone knows about the film, it had a troubled production due to a fatal plane crash incident with Vic Morrow (which does get mentioned in the booklet).. A lot of the behind-the-scenes info mentioned in the booklet I never knew about (for example, the original stories Spielberg was going to adapt before settling with "Kick The Can", the original concept of the movie being just one story instead of 4, the original intended order of the segments, deleted scenes, etc). So for those who are fans of the movie itself, this booklet alone is reason to get the soundtrack.

The only thing I didn't really like in this release was the fact that near the end of the final track for "Kick The Can" cues was a voiceover of the Scathman Crothers character doing this short little singing bit over the music, like in the movie. It kind of goes with the music but wasn't really necessary and kind of breaks the flow, I think. Luckily this is remedied in the Album edit, which has the same piece of music but without the voiceover.

The only thing I didn't really like in this release was the fact that near the end of the final track for "Kick The Can" cues was a voiceover of the Scathman Crothers character doing this short little singing bit over the music, like in the movie. It kind of goes with the music but wasn't really necessary and kind of breaks the flow, I think. Luckily this is remedied in the Album edit, which has the same piece of music but without the voiceover.

Why this was there in the first place boggles me.

Can't wait until this (and Nightwing) arrives in the mail. Twilight Zone is a perfect entree to the musical world of Goldsmith because it runs the gamut of styles and genres. Kick the Can has got some of the most beautiful scoring I have heard from Goldsmith. Just amazing writing.

According to Lukas the music and the voice over were always meant to be together - it's how the cue was conceived.

According to Lukas the music and the voice over were always meant to be together - it's how the cue was conceived.

It's also on the original CD and while I would rather hear that wonderful crescendo in Goldsmith's music without the singing, I have gotten used to it. What a wonderful piece though. I like that "Kick the Can" has two primary themes. The secondary theme which is the more somber, pathos driven one is so nicely contrasted against the more hopeful prominent theme. I think Kick the Can is a great insight into what heights Goldsmith would have gone to if he'd been Spielberg's composer-in-residence for all those years (not slagging Williams by any stretch mind you).

Yea, it was my impression that the version without the vocals was in the "main" part of the new release, and the version with vocals is in the "album edits" section. Is it the other way around?

Well, having a no voiceover version is probably good enough reason to buy this album

Is there a "It's a Good Life" version without cartoon sound effects?. That would really sell it to me

K.M.Who hates all voice overs ,even intended ones

K.M.2 who also hates Goldsmith music with cartoon sound effects

The version without the voiceover is an alternate take. It is serviceable, but the performance with the voiceover is a little more polished, or maybe that's because I'm more used to it.

The sound effects in It's a Good Life are, I believe, not inserts or edits. I think that they are live instruments recorded with the orchestra. According to the liner notes, you have cowbells, a whoopee cushion whistle and an antique car horn. Seems to me that these would be performed live, from the same man who brought you mixing bowls and conch shells.

I've probably persuaded you to save your money, Mark, but still, if you don't have the original CD, this is an easy recommendation.

Today's not my lucky day, either.

I'll probably have to wait another month.

I can't imagine that TZ part with*out* the voiceover. Seems to be it's an integral part of the music.