The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

Roger has provided another clue. So we have 3 clues:

One Signature Edition at 1200. One Special Collection at 1000.
[About the release that the first 2 clips were not from] It's just a straight LP re-issue. Actually, two LPs put on one disc. Both by the same composer.
Both from the 60s.

clip1

clip2

clip3

The Poe films produced by Roger Corman sparked my interest in Les Baxter's music. Those scores haven't been released, but this Cervantes sounds really good. I think I'll order it.

Yeah but it will be at either 2000 or 1000 units so I don't think it will be something that most of you would be interested in.

A Varese release from one of my favourite composers was a 1000, whereas Eraser doesn't strike me as a score that would be big enough for 3000 copies. I don't think these numbers can be read that deeply.

A Varese release from one of my favourite composers was a 1000

Russkies?

I didn't say favorite composers, I said big composers. But perhaps I should say big scores, which I guess is obvious that those will be 3,000+

Yes, it was Russkies.

But yes, I'd agree that it's about big scores. But I'm just saying that a smaller film doesn't make any less chance that it's something really good, and at the moment, unless Roger explicitly says it's an LP reissue, or pre-80s, I'm generally open to possibilities

The usual mad guessing going on @ Intrada. Now seems to be assuming something from Ernest Gold, and something starring Gregory Peck...

There was a movie I seen one time, I think I sat through it twice. I don’t remember who I was or where I was bound. All I remember about it was it starred Gregory Peck, he wore a gun and he was shot in the back. Seems like a long time ago, long before the stars were torn down.

:)

The usual mad guessing going on @ Intrada. Now seems to be assuming something from Ernest Gold, and something starring Gregory Peck...

I'm beginning to wonder if some of them actually pay attention to the thread they are posting in.

Cervantes by Les Baxter and The Manhattan Project by Philippe Sarde arrived. Yay! Probably my first 1000-1500 release. So limited, yet so good.

How is Manhattan Project as a listening experience? I liked some of the samples, but someone on FSM was saying the orchestral and synth cues don't mix well. I may still pick this up.

How is Manhattan Project as a listening experience? I liked some of the samples, but someone on FSM was saying the orchestral and synth cues don't mix well. I may still pick this up.

I think it's united enough as a listening experience. There really aren't any synth cues, just orchestral cues weighted toward the brass and synclavier. As a whole, it hasn't had the electrifying effect on me that Pour Sacha had (what's the deal? - Pour Sacha isn't even considered one of Sarde's major works as far as I can tell), but it's still quite good. I think it will improve as it sinks in. The recording quality is remarkably poor for 1986, but it's definitely adequate.

Cervantes is excellent. It has that infectious, chamber sound characteristic of, say, Star Trek TOS. I doubt Les Baxter and John Williams were intimately familiar with each others' music, but for Williams fans there's much to enjoy. Lots of peculiar wind harmonies and stately brass writing.

Ho ho, 3000 units? Sounds promising.

Though, its more than likely a Jerry Goldsmith score to a movie I've never seen