The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

I dunno why you didn't just post the clue?

One title has actually been on CD twice already. First at the time the film came out, then later as an expansion. But it was a strange kind of expansion. And both releases were sequenced strangely. We started from scratch on this release and remixed the original 24-track so it not only sounds better than it ever has, but it's in sequence and complete for the first time (including the end title -- the other two releases didn't really have an ending...they just stopped). Great score, too.

My first thought was "Jaws", until I saw the part about the End Title (and because that would def be more than 1000 units)

I feel like we can figure this one out... a release with an expansion, and neither time had an end title...

EDIT: I think he's talking about the 3,000 single-cd release... because he said it was on CD "at the time of the film's release", and I would bet that the 1,000 unit 2CD release is from a movie earlier than when CD's were prominent.

I can think of quite a few albums that were assembled odd and missing end credits but they are either still only available in their original form or have received a comprehensive expansion that was done correctly.

Someone on the Intrada forum suggested Air Force One for the 2-CD set. Lokutus posted saying no and that it would be 3-CD's for a definitive set? Uh I don't think so not if they're going to release just McNeely's and Goldsmith's version of the score. I would careless if Newman's rejected version gets officially released.

I doubt though Air Force One would get an expansion...if it did it would come from Varese since they still own the rights and the CD is still in print.

Movies I can think of from the 80's -> present that have already had an expanded release:

David Arnold - Tomorrow Never Dies

Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard - The Dark Knight

Jerry Goldsmith - Supergirl

John Williams - The Phantom Menace

David Arnold - Stargate

Don Davis - The Matrix

John Barry - Dances With Wolves

None of which fit the clues

"The Last Starfighter" by Craig Safan is in sequence and has the end credits.

A search for "expanded" on www.soundtrackcollector.com has turned up these:

Jerry Goldsmith - Rambo: First Blood Part II

Basil Poledouris - Flesh + Blood

John Carpenter and Alan Howarth - Escape From New York

Laurence Rosenthal - Clash Of The Titans

Jerry Goldsmith - Extreme Prejudice

I don't think any of those fit either though

A guy on Intrada board suggested Crocodile Dundee by Peter Best, but that appears to be in sequence and contains an ending

A 1976 film wouldn't have had a CD "at the time of the film's release", it would have been an LP

"The Last Starfighter" by Craig Safan is in sequence and has the end credits.

You know you have too many film scores when you start forgetting details about CDs in your collection. :D

Well, I should clarify that I assume "Into The Starscape" is the end credits... I saw the film exactly 1 time and couldn't tell you anything about either CD's sequencing or what the end titles are in the film...

Well I checked and it wasn't issued on CD at the time of its release so that rules it out. So scratch that one.

Leaving the end credits off a soundtrack release (and an expansion) strikes me as odd: Aren't end credits usually missing only when the film's end credits use copied & pasted music? Even odd sequencing often just means that they put the end credit cue as the first track on the album.

A 1976 film wouldn't have had a CD "at the time of the film's release", it would have been an LP

True, I missed the CD part.

I was going to say Conan but that was sequenced correctly. No odd choices that jump out at me.

If I remember correctly it does have the end credits as they're just a mix of 'Anvil of Crom' and 'Riders of Doom'.

Robocop might fit but it's still in print with Varese.

Total Recall fits but I don't think there were any original end credits and both albums are sequenced normally.

Robocop might fit but it's still in print with Varese.

Total Recall fits but I don't think there were any original end credits and both albums are sequenced normally.

ROBOCOP really needs a proper expansion. I was pretty disappointed with Varese's last release.

Yeah plus I don't think Poledouris composed a new end credits suite, it was just cobbled together from other cues. The same with Recall.

The one score that does fit but never received an expanded version is Hunt For Red October. A very oddly assembled album that just ends.....

But like I mentioned above, I think the end titles may have just been pulled from other cues.

Hmmm, apparently the End Credits are included for Legend on both releases (called "Re-United")

It couldn't be The Terminator could it?

I was thinking that, but the sequencing isn't bad on the expanded one. I believe like scores mentioned the end credits in the film are created from sources already available, in this case the 'Theme From The Terminator' track that opens the 1994 CD.

Can you imagine if it was Temple of Doom?

Bad sequencing (if you include the bonus disc from the box set)

End Credits missing (well, part of it)

It's a score that is either short and popular (3,000 copies and 1CD) or long and not popular (2cd 1,000 copies). Temple Of Doom is both long and popular

The one score that does fit but never received an expanded version is Hunt For Red October. A very oddly assembled album that just ends.....

Oddly assembled indeed, but I don't think there's really anything truly relevant missing from the album. And I believe the end credits were just copy & pastes, right? Considering that, all that should be done with the album is making Red Route II the third track, then I could just play the first three tracks and be done with it. :D

I think Legend by Jerry Goldsmith is a strong contender

How is Legend oddly sequenced on the expanded album? It follows the film cue by cue, doesn't it? And it includes the end titles, as mentioned above.

Plus Legend is still in print, i.e. less than $20 new at Amazon. Though I don't think that's one of the clues.

And yes, I know that the BTTF album is still available when Intrada released the complete score, but those are two entirely different types of soundtrack albums.

Interesting idea. The two separate albums situation could be called a strange sequencing. Most of the two discs was released on a single 19-track disc by Varese Japan - which means that a really complete release would need two discs.

Yea, but there's no way Intrada would only press 1,000 copies of Lionheart. That'd be a 3,000 unit release. So they either found a way to fit it on one disc.... or that's not it.

I will laugh if it turns out to be Robocop because just last night I watched the film, and I listened to the original Varese score this morning. After wondering where the end titles were, I checked the Chronological Thread to find out if it had ever been expanded and if it had an end title edit.

Yea, but there's no way Intrada would only press 1,000 copies of Lionheart. That'd be a 3,000 unit release. So they either found a way to fit it on one disc.... or that's not it.

And the End Title is on both discs.

I'd never seen the movie Lionheart so I had no idea how the music was presented and whether or not the end credits were on the disc.

I thought about Broughton's The Boy Who Could Fly but I'm not sure if the cue that ends the disc is the end credits or not. It appears on both releases at the end, although the Percepto release lists it as a bonus track.

Every release I can think of, so far, seems to have end credits or sequenced in a way that I wouldn't call strange.

Maybe we should look at his wording again

One title has actually been on CD twice already. First at the time the film came out, then later as an expansion. But it was a strange kind of expansion. And both releases were sequenced strangely. We started from scratch on this release and remixed the original 24-track so it not only sounds better than it ever has, but it's in sequence and complete for the first time (including the end title -- the other two releases didn't really have an ending...they just stopped). Great score, too.

It seems like he made a point to say the word "strange" twice (bolding is mine). Is that a clue perhaps?

He also said it's a "great" score.... does that mean the general film score public would consider it great, or its one of his personal favorites?

Strange Days?

Was the Robocop reissue sequenced strangely?

Yes, in that it's not at all chronological, and that neither the last score cue nor the last of the four bonus source cues after gives a satisfactory ending.