What Is The Last Film You Watched?

No, you don't understand. When you make a film you always thematic make a point of some kind. In fiction it works, but you construct the entire world around your idea. When you apply this to the events that actually did happen you cheapen them. Because true world is rudderless. That's why dramatized fiction is more honest and true than dramatized hisotrical account. Even when you make a documentary you edit it, and so you judge and make a point. Otherwise it wouldn't have been watchable at all.

I'm not saying that historical films are bad by definiton. But you often hear that certain people accuse them of being inaccurate. Which is a pointless remark, because they never could have been accurate.

Karol

I think I understand it now. You're saying that if you base your movie on facts, people will always check them to see if they are true. If they are not true, it weakens the film. Is that it?

Alex

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More or less. If you base your film around facts and you want it to be as accurate as possible then most people will most probably accuse you of failing. And they will be right. Which doesn't mean you fail as storyteller.

Karol

I haven't seen VALKYRIE, but it always looked like those Sunday matinee war films, like WHERE EAGLES DARE, that sort of thing. Which is why I want to see it.

The problem is that Valkyrie is not as good as these vintage movies.

Really? I wasn't holding them up as a symbol of quality, just entertaining nonsense.

Valkyrie is neither nonsense, nor really entertaining (it has couple good scenes though). But it's my opinion.

Indeed, the film clearly wants to be a voice for the German military that didn't agree with Hitler's plans. Problem is that they were still part of the war machine, of course.

I suppose it was difficult to oppose the regime. If you said, "No, man, I won't help you invade other countries", then you sorta signed your own death certificate.

Alex

They were all guilty as far as I'm concerned!

Every German!

You say that so often it's lost all meaning.

Valkyrie didn't hold up especially well on the small screen. But I really enjoyed it the first time. The reveal of the fate of Tom Wilkenson's character really stuck with me, though. It's one of my favorite movie moments from last year.

Morlock, I finally saw Valkyrie, on dvd. It didn't really work for me, although I enjoyed watching it to a certain extent. The story has no real momentum, although there are some suspenseful scenes. But it lacks a bit of character in a way. I had constantly the feeling I was watching a re-enacting of a story, with actors playing historic figures. Of course that is exactly what it is, but when I watched Downfall I had the feeling I saw the real thing. It was a more intimate movie, almost a play, but far more tense, with raw emotions and therefore far more effective. Still Valkyrie is not a bad movie, but more a Saturday morning kids version of WWII.

Last movie I watched was Stardust. In several ways a B movie especially regarding the script, as well as the simplistic story. Still it managed to impress me for several days after I watched it. In some way it touched me. I even found myself annoyed by the quick ending. I don't know exactly why, but I figured some possible reasons. The music was very effective (Ilan Eshkeri, orchestrated by Robert Elhai), the cinematography was wonderful, the acting is very good and I think I just love Claire Danes!

I have seen more pleasant surprises among relatively unknown movies, most notably Richard Donner's Timeline and Kevin Reynolds Count of Monte Cristo.

Anyone has suggestions for me what movies I might like more?

I can't really judge Spirited Away because I don't know anything about anime. It was somewhat interesting, definitely not bad. I've tried to get into the score because a lot of people love it, but I just can't.

Last movie I watched was Stardust. In several ways a B movie especially regarding the script, as well as the simplistic story. Still it managed to impress me for several days after I watched it. In some way it touched me. I even found myself annoyed by the quick ending. I don't know exactly why, but I figured some possible reasons. The music was very effective (Ilan Eshkeri, orchestrated by Robert Elhai), the cinematography was wonderful, the acting is very good and I think I just love Claire Danes!

Agreed on most things, but I didn't have a problem with the ending. Bonus points for featuring David Kelly and Sarah Alexander. It's the kind of movie that's so magical, I feel like watching it again right away.

I loved Stardust, but that doesn't say much because I'm a 17-year-old girl. :P

I'm so bad at suggestions but... Do you happen to know Spirited Away? Maybe you'll like it. Great music and beautifully drawn. ^^

http://www.moviemeter.nl/film/4106 :rolleyes:

Yeah maybe I'm too old for this stuff now...but I can't help I just like it, can I ;) Let's say fairytales are not exclusively aimed at a certain age group ;) This Spirited Away sounds a bit scary to me though...

By the way I see you're Dutch...ben je al lid van de John Williams Hyve? www.johnwilliams.hyves.nl :)

Agreed on most things, but I didn't have a problem with the ending. Bonus points for featuring David Kelly and Sarah Alexander. It's the kind of movie that's so magical, I feel like watching it again right away.

Actually the ending was fine, but you know also a bit easy. I would have loved to see Tristan and Yvaine's lifes as King and Queen in the movie instead of only as told by Ian McKellen.

I can't really judge Spirited Away because I don't know anything about anime. It was somewhat interesting, definitely not bad. I've tried to get into the score because a lot of people love it, but I just can't.

I have seen some anime, so it's ''safe'' for me to say that Spirited Away is very good. A lot of anime have plain colours and are slow (as in, frames per second), but Spirited Away has beautiful vivid colours and it simply flows. Just take a look at the blue sky in the beginning of the film. Lovely. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I really like the story. :)

Too bad you don't like the score... I love it. ;)

By the way I see you're Dutch...ben je al lid van de John Williams Hyve? www.johnwilliams.hyves.nl

Ik heb geen hyves, helaas :P

Morlock, I finally saw Valkyrie, on dvd. It didn't really work for me, although I enjoyed watching it to a certain extent. The story has no real momentum, although there are some suspenseful scenes. But it lacks a bit of character in a way. I had constantly the feeling I was watching a re-enacting of a story, with actors playing historic figures. Of course that is exactly what it is, but when I watched Downfall I had the feeling I saw the real thing. It was a more intimate movie, almost a play, but far more tense, with raw emotions and therefore far more effective. Still Valkyrie is not a bad movie, but more a Saturday morning kids version of WWII.

The movie did motivate me to check out some other material about the July 20th plot. To the extent that it is effective, it is certainly far less serious than something like Downfall. However, I'm more generous towards a (relativly) trivial take on something than a serious take that I have inherent problems with.

I too am a fan. I enjoyed it more than the book, and I think it was surprisingly effective for a film that was trying to live up to Princess Bride. Not nearly as good, but it was one hell of a good try. The music might not have been partiuclarly original, but it had a good, solid orchestral sound to it, and worked like gangbusters when needed. Vaughn was apparantly so taken with writer Jane Goldman's adaptation that he's partnered with her on his two subsequent screenplays as well.

Re: The Count of Monte Cristo. It's got some very good stuff in it, like the only Ed Shearmur score I like (you can hear Goldenthal's influence in there, never a bad thing).

Saw Fred Schepisi's Six Degrees of Separation (1993). Weird film, in a very good way. It's structue, which seemed quite absurd initially, really worked as the film progressed, and managed to make this very theatrical piece successfully cinematic. Good performances by all, particularly Stockard Channing. I was shocked to see J.J. Abrams in it- and he's actually quite funny!

This Spirited Away sounds a bit scary to me though...

I would recommend it as well. I have always had a weakness for superb animation, and Spirited Away is about as superb as animation gets. In fact, I would recommend a large number of Hayao Miyazaki's films, especially since you seem to love immersive fantasy films.

This Spirited Away sounds a bit scary to me though...

I would recommend it as well. I have always had a weakness for superb animation, and Spirited Away is about as superb as animation gets. In fact, I would recommend a large number of Hayao Miyazaki's films, especially since you seem to love immersive fantasy films.

Indeed. Miyazaki is really a visionary; he's been called the Japanese Walt Disney.

I have seen some anime, so it's ''safe'' for me to say that Spirited Away is very good. A lot of anime have plain colours and are slow (as in, frames per second), but Spirited Away has beautiful vivid colours and it simply flows. Just take a look at the blue sky in the beginning of the film. Lovely. Oh, and I really like the story.

Spirited Away is one of my all time favorite animated pictures. :P

The movie did motivate me to check out some other material about the July 20th plot. To the extent that it is effective, it is certainly far less serious than something like Downfall. However, I'm more generous towards a (relativly) trivial take on something than a serious take that I have inherent problems with.

I too am a fan. I enjoyed it more than the book, and I think it was surprisingly effective for a film that was trying to live up to Princess Bride. Not nearly as good, but it was one hell of a good try. The music might not have been partiuclarly original, but it had a good, solid orchestral sound to it, and worked like gangbusters when needed. Vaughn was apparantly so taken with writer Jane Goldman's adaptation that he's partnered with her on his two subsequent screenplays as well.

Re: The Count of Monte Cristo. It's got some very good stuff in it, like the only Ed Shearmur score I like (you can hear Goldenthal's influence in there, never a bad thing).

Saw Fred Schepisi's Six Degrees of Separation (1993). Weird film, in a very good way. It's structue, which seemed quite absurd initially, really worked as the film progressed, and managed to make this very theatrical piece successfully cinematic. Good performances by all, particularly Stockard Channing. I was shocked to see J.J. Abrams in it- and he's actually quite funny!

Ah, I remember you were a bit ambivalent regarding Downfall, weren't you. I actually don't want to judge if it is a good or a bad thing to make movies like that. Just what I meant to say was, from an artistic point of view, I thought Downfall was a better movie then Valkyrie.

Btw, Shearmur's Count of Monte Cristo score was orchestrated by Robert Elhai as well. He is one of the most solid orchestrators around I think.

I have seen some anime, so it's ''safe'' for me to say that Spirited Away is very good. A lot of anime have plain colours and are slow (as in, frames per second), but Spirited Away has beautiful vivid colours and it simply flows. Just take a look at the blue sky in the beginning of the film. Lovely. :D

Oh, and I really like the story. :)

Too bad you don't like the score... I love it. :wub:

By the way I see you're Dutch...ben je al lid van de John Williams Hyve? www.johnwilliams.hyves.nl

Ik heb geen hyves, helaas :P

Why not? Don't all seventeen year old girls have one? ;)

I am only familiar with his Princess Mononoke. It was fine.

I didn't like it very much, but I rather adored Spirited Away. Score-wise, I prefer Mononoke, but both are really good.

I still have to get my hand on Shearmur's Count - I'm not too impressed by what else I've heard by him, but this had some cool stuff.

Ik heb geen hyves, helaas ;)

Ik dacht dat meisjes van 17 allemaal op Facebook zaten?

Stop speaking Klingon! :D

Mad Max 2. For some reason I have alot of interest in the film, probably largely due to the fact I grew up playing Fallout 1 & 2, which were heavily influenced by the film. But I really must face it: the film is pretty dull..

I have seen some anime, so it's ''safe'' for me to say that Spirited Away is very good. A lot of anime have plain colours and are slow (as in, frames per second), but Spirited Away has beautiful vivid colours and it simply flows. Just take a look at the blue sky in the beginning of the film. Lovely. Oh, and I really like the story.

Spirited Away is one of my all time favorite animated pictures. ;)

So what's with the rolling of the eyes? She loves it too.

;) That is a weird smiley! It's so abrasive, but when I look at it closely all I see his a person looking upward and smiling. What could be nicer?

I loved Stardust, but that doesn't say much because I'm a 17-year-old girl. ;)

Hey I'm a 29 year old dude and I loved it

Spirited Away is one of my all time favorite animated pictures.

Spirited Away is one of my all time favorite movies, period

Something went badly wrong during the quoting process... excuse me for the crap solution I came up with:

MSM ''Why not? Don't all seventeen year old girls have one? ROTFLMAO''

I guess I'm an exception to this rule. ;P

Stefan Cosman ''Ik dacht dat meisjes van 17 allemaal op Facebook zaten?''

Ik heb wel een Facebook account! XD En daar ben ik uiteraard lid van de John Williams fanclub. ^_^

Jason LeBlanc ''Hey I'm a 29 year old dude and I loved it''

Well, that's a first! ROTFLMAO

Mad Max 2. For some reason I have alot of interest in the film, probably largely due to the fact I grew up playing Fallout 1 & 2, which were heavily influenced by the film. But I really must face it: the film is pretty dull..

I wouldn't say that at all. The Road Warrior is a very entertaining movie, with probably one of the best car chases of all time.

Twilight: I felt this movie was exclusively made for the adolescent viewer. I dare you to find one fan of this movie and who is over 18.

Alex

Gotta give it to you: I just don't know what the correct intention of this smiley is: ROTFLMAO

But for me it resonates a "Ahhh.... We're in agreement" kinda feeling and that's why I used it.

ROTFLMAO

Twilight: I felt this movie was exclusively made for the adolescent viewer. I dare you to find one fan of this movie and who is over 18.

Many of my female friends absolutely love this film . . . and they're in their mid twenties to early thirties.

How I pity them.

Gotta give it to you: I just don't know what the correct intention of this smiley is: :rolleyes:

But for me it resonates a "Ahhh.... We're in agreement" kinda feeling and that's why I used it.

:rolleyes:

Given that the text version of the smiley is : rolleyes:, I think its true purpose is to show how "stupid" one thinks something is.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Despite some "dish washing logic" moments, I enjoyed it very much. I just love that Ray Harryhausen vibe that I get from the film and music.

Didn't you feel it was a little too fragmentary, like the Potter films? I'm probably one of the few who prefers the first one.

Alex

Didn't you feel it was a little too fragmentary?

Interesting you should say that, I was thinking about that as I was watching it, although I was thinking of the word "disjointed". Ultimately, though, it did not really hamper my enjoyment of the film.

I'm probably one of the few who prefers the first one.

I have to be honest and say that I have not seen the first one since it premiered on network television.

I think the endless and boring action scenes in the original seriously lessened its impact on me. It feels more like a product, whereas the second one feels quite heartfelt. It was too rushed and does not feel fully formed...but I think it is better in practically every way.

I have no ideal what you said.

I know I said ideal instead of idea, its an old people thang, I guess twas toss is a young people thang

Many of my female friends absolutely love this film . . . and they're in their mid twenties to early thirties.

How I pity them.

Yes, I know a few too. I haven't bothered, if I want to watch a good vampire story I'll pop in some Buffy or Angel.

How I pity them.

Yes, I know a few too. I haven't bothered, if I want to watch a good vampire story I'll pop in some Buffy or Angel.

those are not good Vampire stories, just good tv.

Twilight has fans of both sexes, and of all ages. Woman from young to old love it.

I'm not one for vampire films myself...my girlfriend she's in her 20's but loves Twilight. In fact I bought her all the books for her birthday this year.

She wishes I would get into it...but it's just not my genre of movies.

Ik heb geen hyves, helaas ;)

Ik dacht dat meisjes van 17 allemaal op Facebook zaten?

Stop speaking Klingon! :P

Przepraszam

How I pity them.

I like you tasteful atavar! It's Dutch cheese called Leerdammer, I think.