What Is The Last Film You Watched?

It seems like it would- I haven't seen the Scorsese film since first seeing the Welles film a few months back. Have you seen the Davies won? I strongly recommend it (Incidentally, Davies was generous enough to praise Scorsese's film while speaking about his own Wharton adaptation).

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Revolutionary Road

Just amazing all round, and Tom Newman's very low key score now makes perfect sense.

My one criticism, apart from the occasional draggy bits, was that there wasn't much structure inside of the general 'situation'. It's like a fly-on-the-wall of a period of their lives and you could pretty much dive in at any point.

The Constant Gardener, which was a depressing Brit thriller, made even more difficult by the unconvincing central love story. Ralph Fiennes can only do 'cold' and it didn't fit this movie. I didn't enjoy it.

Saw this movie called MOON.

It was an exercise in tedium.

Pointless, boring and poorly acted.

Lucas is such a liar. Of course he's a fan of 3D. He did that 3D Captain EO movie with Francis Ford Copolla back in the 80's and he was pimping this whole 3D Star Wars extravaganza a few years ago, before everyone just forgot about it.

The Book Of Eli

I wanted to love this movie. It had so much potential, but it falls flat on its face. It's entertaining, and it has several strong factors, but it's still heavily flawed. First problem, too much style and not enough substance. Too much slow-mo walking and too much weird depth-of-field shots. The cinematography could have been great, but the filming style ruined it. There are a lot of panning shots, which I liked, but there's also lot of Michael Bay style 360-swirling. But the Hughes brothers manage to go overboard and make Bay look like a restrained filmmaker. The score is the biggest piece of shit I've heard in a long time. Nothing but aimless synth drones, with some bad solo vocals. I don't think there was a single instrument used, and when I learned that 3 people composed it, it became even more embarrassing.

The best part of the film is easily the acting. Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman are fantastic, as usual, and I really enjoyed Tom Waits' little role.

The Book Of Eli

I wanted to love this movie. It had so much potential, but it falls flat on its face. It's entertaining, and it has several strong factors, but it's still heavily flawed. First problem, too much style and not enough substance. Too much slow-mo walking and too much weird depth-of-field shots. The cinematography could have been great, but the filming style ruined it. There are a lot of panning shots, which I liked, but there's also lot of Michael Bay style 360-swirling. But the Hughes brothers manage to go overboard and make Bay look like a restrained filmmaker. The score is the biggest piece of shit I've heard in a long time. Nothing but aimless synth drones, with some bad solo vocals. I don't think there was a single instrument used, and when I learned that 3 people composed it, it became even more embarrassing.

The best part of the film is easily the acting. Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman are fantastic, as usual, and I really enjoyed Tom Waits' little role.

Watching the previews should have been a red flag.

The Book Of Eli

Did Zimmer do it, I mean when the words score and piece of shit are used in the same sentence Zimmer automatically comes to mind.

You know that if Koray doesn't like a score with aimless synth drones and bad solo vocals, then it must REALLY be bad.

Well the washed out colors, Bay style shots and the slow mo man in a circle wiping out entire bad guy group set off major alarms.

Plus Denzel as an action hero doesn't do it for me. Learned my lesson with Ricochet.

I'm not sure I like the idea of the man who owns the last Bible on earth approaches almost super-human abilities to kill. Seems kind of backwards.

Oh, and the bit I read about Denzel's character still listening to his iPod 30 years after a catastrophe has destroyed civilization...that kind of kills it for me. I don't think my iPod is going to last five years with the kind of care I'm going to give it.

Unless Denzel's home base of operations is the Apple iPod battery replacement depot, that idea makes nuking the fridge sound quite intelligent.

Watched Glory again last night, marvellous film. I know Denzel Washington bagged the supporting actor Oscar, deserved as it was, but it is Matthew Broderick who really shines, delivering a performance brimming with quiet confidence and understated nobility, he was perfectly cast. Zwick's best movie and a reminder of how damn brilliant Horner used to be.

My experience with that film is strage- I bought the 2 DVD version of it, but it must have been a faulty transfer, because the only thing I remember from the film is how terrible it looked. As I haven't heard anyone else comment about it, I assume it must have been that release or that copy, as the final battle in particular looked terrible.

Humpday (2009). Really liked it. Kinda loved it, in fact. First Mumblecore film I've seen, and I liked the style! Great proformances, totally believable. It really is like Kelly Reichardt's Old Joy. Good thing I loved that one.

You know that if Koray doesn't like a score with aimless synth drones and bad solo vocals, then it must REALLY be bad.

Well the washed out colors, Bay style shots and the slow mo man in a circle wiping out entire bad guy group set off major alarms.

Plus Denzel as an action hero doesn't do it for me. Learned my lesson with Ricochet.

There really isn't that much action, or at least Bay-type action. A few short fight scenes and a big one at the end. I thought the choreography was good.

I'm not sure I like the idea of the man who owns the last Bible on earth approaches almost super-human abilities to kill. Seems kind of backwards.

Oh, and the bit I read about Denzel's character still listening to his iPod 30 years after a catastrophe has destroyed civilization...that kind of kills it for me. I don't think my iPod is going to last five years with the kind of care I'm going to give it.

Unless Denzel's home base of operations is the Apple iPod battery replacement depot, that idea makes nuking the fridge sound quite intelligent.

In your defense it's also a 3rd generation iPod, the one with the buttons above the wheel. But I didn't find it to be a believability factor, it was pretty beat up and the battery does die pretty much after we first see him use it.

And if you think just being an excellent shot and fighter is super-human, wait until you see the end of the film. The last 30 minutes ruined everything that proceeded for me.

The Lovely Bones

I'd say it's a good film. Nothing great though. Fantastic cinematography and imagery, but that was really the only reason why heaven/purgatory was interesting. There were some really bad scenes/parts, but overall I liked it. Brian Eno's score wasn't very good and inappropriate at times. I wish Jackson had used James Newton Howard, who would have delivered something fantastic. Acting was serviceable, but Stanley Tucci alone was magnificent. I'd throw an Oscar nom his way.

All in all, I'd recommend it for Jackson fans. I've never read the book so I don't know how it works as an adaptation. I didn't think a lot of the narration worked, but that could be a result of poor adaptation.

It looked liked Jackson returning to a world similar to Heavenly Creatures. I didn't care for that film (I didn't feel like he had a good reason for making it, aside from the fantasy elements), and I've heard nothing particularly good about this one.

The Island: It's a genuine film turkey. I guess the only accomplishment are the effects.

Speaking of turkeys- I saw Werner Herzog's Invincible (2001). A pre-holocaust tale about a Jewish strongman who takes part in a Berlin club owned by an occultist with aspirations to be in Hitler's government. This film feels like it was directed by an alien. Herzog's relationship to this history is utterly weird, I couldn't quite make sense of it. The cinematography is strange and of variable quality, the string heavy score (by Zimmer and Badelt) feels awkwardly placed and motivated...I was bewildered by this film, and rarely in a good way.

It looked liked Jackson returning to a world similar to Heavenly Creatures. I didn't care for that film (I didn't feel like he had a good reason for making it, aside from the fantasy elements), and I've heard nothing particularly good about this one.

I also always made the Heavenly Creatures connection, and since I've always found that brilliant in every regard, I'm still optimistic about this new one.

The ending of Heavenly Creatures is still one of the most devastating things I've ever seen in the movies.

That movie gave me a smidgen hope for LotR, when I found out PJ was doing it.

I'm still not sure why I was uninvolved in that film. Honestly. It's the kind of film I feel like I could really like, but watching it, I just didn't get the point. I'll have to give it another try one of these days.

Totally unrelated...are there any Peter Greenaway fans round these parts? I'm going to a lecture and Q&A of his next week, with the tiniest dash of a smidgen of hope that I might be able to interview him. No idea what I'd ask, but he's so gregarious, it can't possibly be uninteresting.

I'm a huge fan of Baby of Macon. That was a movie I caught on tv by accident and I was totally mesmerized by it, it was unlike anything I had ever seen.

Just watched a few bits of 2012.

What an absurdly stupid film. Effects are great though.

The ending of Heavenly Creatures is still one of the most devastating things I've ever seen in the movies.

That movie gave me a smidgen hope for LotR, when I found out PJ was doing it.

If I remember correctly, the end is the bit where

the two girls bludgeon the mother to death on the path?

The more I think about that scene the more disturbing it is. Great filmmaking

Have you seen The Mist as well? The ending of that is one of few that had my mouth hanging open in disbelief from the closing couple of shots, and I heard Darabont only agreed to do the film if he could do what he did.

If I remember correctly, the end is the bit where

the two girls bludgeon the mother to death on the path?

The more I think about that scene the more disturbing it is. Great filmmaking

Correct, with the leeeengthy sequence leading up to it. And no matter how often I watch, and even though the film shows what's going to happen right in the first few seconds, it's still one of the most suspenseful film sequences I know.

Totally unrelated...are there any Peter Greenaway fans round these parts? I'm going to a lecture and Q&A of his next week, with the tiniest dash of a smidgen of hope that I might be able to interview him. No idea what I'd ask, but he's so gregarious, it can't possibly be uninteresting.

Haven't seen a Greenaway film in ages. Isn't he more of a strictly intellectual filmmaker?

Mr. Deeds: Stupid and corny but Winona looks good in it.

Alex

Soderbergh's Solaris.

I really enjoyed it. Having not seen the original, I'm going against the prevailing opinions so I'll make plans to see it soon.

Soderbergh's Solaris.

I really enjoyed it. Having not seen the original, I'm going against the prevailing opinions so I'll make plans to see it soon.

Incredible film. From memory, Tartakovsky's is very good as well, but I love the style of the remake.

North by Northwest on Blu-ray. Wow. I love these classic VistaVision/Technicolor films on BD. This and The Searchers look better than films made today. This is the first time I've ever really owned NBNW and it's darker than I remember in places, interestingly as was the case with The Searchers UE DVD and the BD. I'm unsure if they're more accurate to the original theatrical presentation, but they still look great. I wish everyone still wore suits and hats. By the way, Herrmann's score sounds amazing.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs followed by Eagle Eye.

Former was an entertaining few hours, nothing amazing though.

Latter exceeded my expectations, and I even liked Tyler's score, although he still sounds a bit MV-ish.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

I saw this the other week. Maybe it was just my low expectations but I couldn't believe how much I ended up laughing.

Just some good stupid fun.

The score wasn't too shabby either. The main theme actually stuck with me.

Soderbergh's Solaris.

You're not going to like it. It's slow and extremely artsy-fartsy. It makes 2001: A Space Odyssey look like a wild Indiana Jones mine car chase. Don't do it!

Holy Man (1998): Another turkey.

Alex

District 9:

It's an enjoyable film that really gets the viewer to care for the characters. It dragged on near the end, but I'd say it was interesting and new overall.

Watched FotR again last night for first time in over a year. Still an amazing film, but the EE has two or three extra scenes which work against the movie, the Elves leaving Middle-Earth being one, it just doesn't work and I could do without it.

Its a masterpiece, but I don't know if I'd still choose it over Jaws and Raiders.