What Is The Last Film You Watched?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I at least thought the first Resident Evil movie was a better Doom-style* movie than the real movie named Doom.

By that I mean a condition of sorts turns people into zombies and monsters, and the survivors in a locked environment must fight their way out.

I have yet to see a video game adaptation that follows the source material faithfully. Is it because there is some unknown contract that requires the filmmakers to go somewhere different, or what? Do the studios think a real survival horror is too boring for audiences so they have to crap it up?

I'm not looking forward to the BioShock film or the Uncharted film or the Fallout film. BioShock had the potential, but when Verbinski left the project it was doomed. They never seem to get any talent in front of and behind the camera. 75% of these are directed by Paul POS Anderson and Uwe Boll.

I was only comparing this movie (resident evil) to other similar, recent movies. The action sequences were better than a lot of other action films I've seen this summer,like Expendables, A-Team, Machete, Takers... And the 3D effects didn't suck.

Amityville II: The Possession

Geez, this surprisingly really got under my skin. I mean, yeah, there's a few unintentional laughs, and it desperately wanted to be the Exorcist, but it really had a creepy vibe and a sense of dread. Anybody see this?

Here's a movie I'm loathing without having seen it. That fucking Facebook movie. Count me out

Exactly! I am so uninterested in it. It astounds me that they attracted the talent of David Fincher.

The whole premise bothers me. Not only is it shockingly uninteresting, but the basic premise is just stupid. They keep marketing it as this revolutionary idea, but I guess nobody remembers Myspace or any similar services that came before. The only difference about FB was that it was specific to college. Not too groundbreaking.

With the reviews The Social Newtwork has been getting, this is a movie I'm really curious to check out. And I'm pretty sure the movie will generate such a buzz, that most of the people who are vowing never to watch will surely seen in theatres.

I've already made a solemn oath never to create a Facebook account, even if a bunch of people are bugging me to do it.

As someone who used to take the same approach, I have every right to tell you that you're being as much of an idiot as I was. The only thing you'll accomplish with your one-man boycott is to make it so people can't use one of the standard means of contacting you. I was against the idea of social networking sites in general, but it didn't take long for me to realize that finally creating a Facebook account was a good choice.

(That's not to say that I think anyone without a Facebook account is an idiot. I'm just saying that if you're already comfortable spending too much time on the Internet doing pointless stuff, as all of us here evidently are, there's no good reason not to have a Facebook account. It's a useful tool for keeping in contact with people.)

Other than posting in message boards on subjects/hobbies I'm interested in ,I've been allergic to these social networking sites (My Space Face Book,Twitter). And I always hated AIM and other Instant Messengers, it's like getting phone calls when you don't feel like talking on the phone. I prefer emails and Private Messages , where you just reply when you feel like it and re-read your reply several times before sending it

Actually, that's the great thing about IMs - you don't have to reply instantly if you can't or don't want to. I feel a lot worse about ignoring a phone call than waiting a little while to reply to an IM, and with email, there's no way to make it live. IMs offer the best of both worlds. That doesn't make them appropriate for everything, but they're just one more useful communication tool.

I dunno why you're bringing up IMs, though. Facebook and its inferior ilk aren't IMing services (though Facebook eventually added that capability). It's a lot more like email or private messages, and it does in fact offer a way to send private messages through the site.

The great thing about Facebook is that it eliminates the need to keep track of email addresses and so forth...it allows you to share text and photos and video to share what's going on in your life...it just generally makes communication nice and easy. Even though there have been significant negative changes to the site over the years, it still is an excellent communication tool, and I wish I'd realized that back when I was opposed to social networking sites because of some vague, ill-informed notion that they were just a way for people to waste their time.

@Gabe and KM

The Social Network is obviously more than just "a fucking Facebook movie." It's not about the site, it's about how it was created, how it became a multi-billion dollar investment, all the legal battles behind its creation and current state. Just the simple fact that David Fincher did direct it, and that Aaron Sorking wrote it, should tell you this. I'll admit I was skeptical at first, because no one knew anything other than that it was simply a movie about Facebook. Then it was announced that Justin Timberlake would star and I became more pessimistic. Then I saw the trailer. It's Fincher in full swing, the cinematography looks outstanding, and from the clips I've seen the acting seems top notch. Not to mention it has 100% on RT with 40+ reviews (but those numbers don't mean anything to me). I knew I would see it the second Fincher was attached, he can do no wrong.

About The Social Network, the Tomatometer is exploding! :(

Oh, Koray already said it. Strange, I thought he didn't read or care about the opinion of critics. He lied to us! Do we have some stones left from the Fincher/Alien3 stoning?

About The Social Network, the Tomatometer is exploding! :(

Oh, Koray already said it. Strange, I thought he didn't read or care about the opinion of critics. He lied to us! Do we have some stones left from the Fincher/Alien3 stoning?

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that "Alien 3" is my favourite "Alien" movie.

There are some directors, whose work, whatever it may be, is worth investigating. David Fincher is one of them. Others would include Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsesse, Tim Burton, Alan Parker, David lean, Alfred Hitchcock, Fritz Lang, Jean Renoir, Ingmar Bergman, and Woody Allen. I follow certain directors' careers, as much as I follow certain actors' careers...or certain composers'...Give the film a chance.

I can't wait to see it, it looks great and Zuckerberg's tale sounds interesting. I guess it's one for us muggles, huh?

Amityville II: The Possession

Geez, this surprisingly really got under my skin. I mean, yeah, there's a few unintentional laughs, and it desperately wanted to be the Exorcist, but it really had a creepy vibe and a sense of dread. Anybody see this?

It is a creepy film for what it is. Burt Young is horrific in it (although it's funny that he isn't that far away from Paulie), and the "sense of dread" as you said helps a lot, even if it does get a bit silly.

ROTJ. Put the SE on for my kid while trying to get him to sleep. Man, this is a great transfer.

Actually, that's the great thing about IMs - you don't have to reply instantly if you can't or don't want to. I feel a lot worse about ignoring a phone call than waiting a little while to reply to an IM, and with email, there's no way to make it live. IMs offer the best of both worlds. That doesn't make them appropriate for everything, but they're just one more useful communication tool.

Was Google Wave an attempt at making the idea popular that a receiver of your message can see it being typed and edited in "real time"? I never received an invite so I don't fully know, but it was a poorly marketed fad that didn't last very far into 2010. Some of my geeky friends were wetting themselves over it proclaiming it to revolutionize teh interwebz. Boy were their faces red.

Was Google Wave an attempt at making the idea popular that a receiver of your message can see it being typed and edited in "real time"? I never received an invite so I don't fully know, but it was a poorly marketed fad that didn't last very far into 2010. Some of my geeky friends were wetting themselves over it proclaiming it to revolutionize teh interwebz. Boy were their faces red.

Yeah...worked pretty well, too, but as you said, it didn't seem to stick. I was working on a project in the first few months of this year, and I convinced the rest of the team to use Google Wave so we could communicate quickly and collaboratively - seemed to fit what we were doing. It was pretty effective except for the fact that part of the team rarely checked it. =/

ROTJ. Put the SE on for my kid while trying to get him to sleep. Man, this is a great transfer.

I'm confused...how old is your kid?

It never ceases to amaze me how different parents parent differently. My folks didn't let me see the Star Wars movies till I was 8 or so, and even then, I didn't get to watch the part where Luke sees Owen and Beru's bodies. I think someone mentioned Jurassic Park being the first film they remember seeing in theaters...I didn't see that till I was maybe 12 or 13...

It's all trial and error, really. I suppose that's parenting in a nutshell. But we'll try things that we think he'll be okay with, and just see what happens. If he cries or has a night terror, no big deal, we'll make sure that doesn't go on again until he's older. He's always been fascinated by SW since watching it with me when he was very young (although I don't really watch it that often), so amongst the usual cartoons, he'll happily watch it. He loves Artoo especially.

I don't know exactly how he'll react when he's old enough to figure out what is going on (i.e. with Owen and Beru), but I saw SW first when I was four and nothing bothered me. So we'll see.

Yeah...worked pretty well, too, but as you said, it didn't seem to stick.

Dunno, I'd be embarrassed if anyone saw things I typed but never published.

It never ceases to amaze me how different parents parent differently. My folks didn't let me see the Star Wars movies till I was 8 or so, and even then, I didn't get to watch the part where Luke sees Owen and Beru's bodies. I think someone mentioned Jurassic Park being the first film they remember seeing in theaters...I didn't see that till I was maybe 12 or 13...

My kid will be introduced to Jaws at the age of six... or seven. After that anything up to PG13 will be allowed, with the odd exception here and there, for instance, if I have a boy I'll let him watch a movie like Predator or Aliens when he's in his teens; probably not if it's a girl; unless she appears to be turning into either A: a bit of a movie buff, or B: a dike.

We'll play it by ear.

My kid will be introduced to Jaws at the age of six... or seven. After that anything up to PG13 will be allowed, with the odd exception here and there, for instance, if I have a boy I'll let him watch a movie like Predator or Aliens when he's in his teens; probably not if it's a girl; unless she appears to be turning into either A: a bit of a movie buff, or B: a dike.

We'll play it by ear.

Those movies might toughen her up a bit without being a lezo.

Looney Tunes: Back in Action.

Boy, oh, boy, I love this movie, and one of my favourites of the 2000's. The humour might seem random and scatter-brained to some, but if you know Joe Dante's style, you'll understand the absurdity he was aiming at, which is unfortunately perhaps a part of the reason why the film failed commercially. While the whole final reel feels as tacked on as it actually is, it's preferable to how the movie might have ended, which was abrupt. Plus, even in the era of HD, this DVD transfer is among the most impressive I've ever seen upscaled.

A few years ago, I read on the Jerry Goldsmith Online forums that the original sessions contained some of Jerry's most inventive pieces that never made it into the film or the album. I hope Varese or some other label assembles a complete release some day.

I think when you go to da moovies, you should loin sumthin'.

About The Social Network, the Tomatometer is exploding! :)

I don't, I said this in parentheses right after my initial comment.

Hating on "The Social Network" because you think its "a movie about a website" is the most ridiculous thing I've read on this board in a long time. It's a movie about a guy who screwed over his friends to become a billionaire, the fact that Facebook is what got him his billions is just the details of the story.

You've got a script by Aaron Sorkin, based on a book by Ben Mezrich, direction by David Fincher, cinematography by Jeff Cronenweth (Fight Club), music by Trent Reznor, and lead acting by Jesse Eisenberg (who was great in Roger Dodger and Adventureland). All that alone is enough reason to check it out.

Here's the premise from wikipedia:

Feeling anguish over being dumped by his girlfriend Erica, Harvard sophomore Mark Zuckerberg decides to create a university version of Hot or Not. Inspired by his technical knowhow, Harvard classmates, the Winklevoss twins, come to him for help in starting "Harvard Connection", an online community for Harvard students. Perfecting this idea, Zuckerberg takes their idea to create "The Facebook", immediately becoming a runaway campus success. Infuriated by Zuckerberg's betrayal, his classmates decide to bring him to federal court on charges of intellectual property theft. In his pursuit to create the most popular website on the internet, Zuckerberg burns multiple bridges to get his way.

You've got a script by Aaron Sorkin, based on a book by Ben Mezrich, direction by David Fincher, cinematography by Jeff Cronenweth (Fight Club), music by Trent Reznor, and lead acting by Jesse Eisenberg (who was great in Roger Dodger and Adventureland). All that alone is enough reason to check it out.

I'll rent the DVD in about 6 months. It sounds like another biopic and thus story-centered, in spite of the talent involved.

I heard some samples from the score and it seems petty good. Good enough to pre-orer for $8 anyway. You can get it digitally for $3 on Amazon.

I heard some tracks from it on Cinemagic on XM the other day. Reminded me of the Fight Club score mixed with that instrumental NIN album

A Simple Plan

I initially took it for a movie that was too far up it's own ass. I mean, it's clearly trying to shove it's own moral message down your throat, and it is abundantly clear. There's also these obviously symbolic crows which are in almost every shot for the first half of the movie. This annoyed me.

As the movie progressed I started to appreciate it more. The plot twist at the climax honestly surprised me, and I thought it was cool that the movie decided to go that way. All in all, a great film.

Great film, and one of my favorite Elfman scores.

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps

Overall not a bad film, it kept me entertained for 2 hours.

Saw this last night. It had some good scenes, and it did more or less keep me entertained...but that end scene was howlingly bad.

I'm at a film festival now, seen a bunch of good movies. Met Paul Giammatti, which was cool.

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps

Overall not a bad film, it kept me entertained for 2 hours.

Saw this last night. It had some good scenes, and it did more or less keep me entertained...but that end scene was howlingly bad.

Yeah, it definitely left a lot to be desired.

I heard some samples from the score and it seems petty good. Good enough to pre-orer for $8 anyway. You can get it digitally for $3 on Amazon.

I heard some tracks from it on Cinemagic on XM the other day. Reminded me of the Fight Club score mixed with that instrumental NIN album

It does have a slight Fight Club vibe, but then again, didn't a NIN song play over the opening credits?

The Social Network looks intriguing to me. If it was merely a documentary about how cool facebook was, I wouldn't see it. It looks like it is an exploration of human nature, like most good films are.

And the only reason not to be on facebook is if you have no one to connect to. It is by far the easiest way to stay in touch with the hundreds of people you know but don't have time to visit/call/write. You will only waste time on it if you have no self control or if you like wasting time.