Parody of Giacchino's Star Trek Theme

BLUMENKOHL

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the creator of that so called funny spoof cue had any intelligence about film music perhaps he might have made something funny.

Hilarious. I'm laughing so hard over here. Really I am. :huh: Perhaps I'd take the guy a little more seriously if he went a little further than an incorrectly-played version of the first phrase of one of the movie's themes.

He makes actually a good point..

Contempory filmmusic is extremely dull.. the simplest chordprogressions .. musically worth s***

yeah keep going you giacchinos, joel goldsmiths, john ottmans and jablonskys :huh:

the time when filmmusic was art is long over.

Sounds like a guy who's pissed at the movie and has a handful of sci-fi/fantasy scores at home. I think there are good reasons to take issue with the score, but this doesn't present them.

Okay, he exaggerates, but I can understand him to some extent. The soundtrack didn't impress me at all (like so many others I am/was looking forward to these days), and I don't know either what exactly is so great about the movie (that happens to destroy the entire so far established story line and is full of ridiculous situations). It was reasonably entertaining, nothing more.

I don't know either what exactly is so great about the movie (that happens to destroy the entire so far established story line and is full of ridiculous situations).

It doesn't destroy the entire established timeline. This is an alternate timeline; the "old" one still exists, and in perfect condition, as does every episode and every movie and every book that talks about those events.

I don't know either what exactly is so great about the movie (that happens to destroy the entire so far established story line and is full of ridiculous situations).

It doesn't destroy the entire established timeline. This is an alternate timeline; the "old" one still exists, and in perfect condition, as does every episode and every movie and every book that talks about those events.

Okay, I guess we could discuss about time paradoxa in movies for hours, but suffice to say that the Star Trek time line situation is murky at best; this was needless and takes away a lot of the fun of the series for me. Great if it works for you.

Looking forward to a Star Wars movie or novel in which the Yuzhan Vong find a way to go back in time and kill Luke Skywalker before he destroys the Death Star; all these opportunities for a reboot, and the original Storyline would still be there, somewhere.... <_< Sorry, but I like it a bit more straightforward...

Not funny at all.

He needs a life.

Seriously? This is one tiny bit of endless amounts of crap on the internet. Seems to me every one is getting defensive because someone didn't treat their precious Star Trek like the second coming.

Okay, I guess we could discuss about time paradoxa in movies for hours, but suffice to say that the Star Trek time line situation is murky at best; this was needless and takes away a lot of the fun of the series for me. Great if it works for you.

Looking forward to a Star Wars movie or novel in which the Yuzhan Vong find a way to go back in time and kill Luke Skywalker before he destroys the Death Star; all these opportunities for a reboot, and the original Storyline would still be there, somewhere.... <_< Sorry, but I like it a bit more straightforward...

Darkhorse Comics already did a series based on the original trilogy where things didn't work as planned. However each film was handled seperately.

Not funny at all.

He needs a life.

Seriously? This is one tiny bit of endless amounts of crap on the internet. Seems to me every one is getting defensive because someone didn't treat their precious Star Trek like the second coming.

He's misrepresenting the score. He's making it sound much more repetitive than it is by only playing half of it, he's not even playing the rhythm correctly, the theme does go through development, and he's using the one theme to represent the entire score. It's in there a lot, but by no means is it 100% of the score.

Darkhorse Comics already did a series based on the original trilogy where things didn't work as planned. However each film was handled seperately.

I think I remember an old friend showing some of those to me when I was eight...if I remember correctly, one of them had Luke die of hypothermia or something on Hoth....

If he had done the same with a Zimmer theme everyone would think it's hilarious. <_<

That said, I love the ST score and didn't find that funny. I also enjoyed the movie greatly even with zero knowledge of the Star Trek universe.

If he had done the same with a Zimmer theme everyone would think it's hilarious. <_<

Well it would have been a bit more accurate with Zimmer.

For sure, but my point is that is just a joke, a bad one maybe but nothing to get all worked up like some people.

Looking at that guy's site, his CGI R2 looks better than the one used in the prequels. And his version of the original ST theme is not bad.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of his work. He's very skilled, but he seems to have a universal standard of orchestration; as if everything would just sound better if it were put through a certain creative filter. And for someone who complains about noisy soundtracks, his orchestration is as loud as can be. Yes, it's contrapuntal, but it's just as lacking in subtlety as Giacchino's tiresome action cues and bombast.

And his version of the original ST theme is not bad.

I quite like that!

Of everything I've heard, the original Season 1 title cue (excellently recorded newly for the remastered series) is my favorite. It's the only version that gives the woodwinds a chance. The Season 2 title cue added the iconic wordless soprano, but I find it a bit silly. The cellos do the melody best, I think.

I like it, too, but I prefer the longer ending Courage wrote to accommodate DeForest Kelley's name. EDIT: I'm also a HUGE fan of the arrangement heard on the album "Star Tracks." Great recording, really fun arrangement...it's a well-loved part of my music collection, for sure.

To clarify, I understand that at some point in the first season there was a version with organ, flute and wordless soprano blended to render the melody, which I'm not so fond of. It misses that dramatic transition into the titles.

version is my favorite. Couldn't find the remastered recording, unfortunately. Aren't those celli bold?

Yeah, I gotcha. That other version was pretty underwhelming. I agree that the cello version is better, but I as I said, I wish it incorporated the slightly longer ending used in season 2, minus the adorable but oh-so-cheesy soprano. As for the remastered version - you can find the remastered episodes of season one on Netflix's Instant Watch thing, if you have an account.

Looking at that guy's site, his CGI R2 looks better than the one used in the prequels.

Not in motion it doesn't. They're about on par.

I hadn't seen it in motion. Still there are quite a few shots in ROTS when they're on Grievous ship where ILM's R2 just doesn't look right.

I agree. ILM tried to do a little too much with him, and the motion kills the realism. Same happens with this other guy's model - it looks awesome in the stills, but he's got an animation somewhere on the site, and it's no more convincing than ILM's, if you ask me.

Yeah, I gotcha. That other version was pretty underwhelming. I agree that the cello version is better, but I as I said, I wish it incorporated the slightly longer ending used in season 2, minus the adorable but oh-so-cheesy soprano. As for the remastered version - you can find the remastered episodes of season one on Netflix's Instant Watch thing, if you have an account.

Oh, yes, I know. It's on iTunes as well. I just meant that I couldn't find a YouTube clip of the opening sequence.

Thought he was just a fan, but he's a professional composer. The guy's got balls slamming Hollywood's golden boy, I'll give him that.

That he does. I may disagree with the guy's conclusions about the score and film, but I could at least respect his...contribution if it featured the same caliber as his visual effects work.

As am I. I'm thinking he should stick to his composing and VFX - both of which are quite good - and not make himself look silly by making bitterly inept jabs at other composer's well-earned success.