The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Crysis 2 - details still being worked out. Hopefully we will make that April 12 release date, but I doubt it

X Files - artwork is being worked on now and should be ready for approval next week for a May 10 release date... we hope

MOH Box Set - waiting on that final approval from EA and then it's off the races to meet our April 12 release date... we hope

Storyteller - still in Muppet Hell. Don't expect any time soon

Die Hard -- yippie kai yay! Hot damn! I didn't know we were releasing this! That's awesome!

Friday Night Lights - delayed indefinitely. Fugedaboudit

MV

The perils of being transparent about schedules start to show... bad news for anyone who was waiting for Friday Night Lights. Hope it wasn't a grail for anyone here.

I'm tentatively looking at X-Files and MoH for purchase. It'll balance out probably not buying any other LE's for a good half year (none so far in 2011, and only one possible upcoming - Frizzell's Gods and Generals).

Why don't the smaller labels merge or something? Don't they all have the same interest? In the end it would benefit everybody, I think.

I think too many egos and I don't think it would solve the problem as much as you think.

Because when you go to a much larger media form, there are conflicts of interest. With a label like Perseverance or Kriterzland, they're doing the same things as the other score labels. Perhaps they want to focus on different scores or whatever, but I mean they could technically do that as part of one label, just have them work on more than one project at a time. So then scores like Rain Man don't get shit releases or things like Carrie don't get limited to 1,000 copies, all due to limited funding or connections.

I believe Bruce Kimmel has mentioned he doesn't want to have to answer to anyone in terms of running his own company.

So then scores like Rain Man don't get shit releases or things like Carrie don't get limited to 1,000 copies, all due to limited funding or connections.

Rain Man is Herr Zimmer's fault. Although I can't understand how the studio can't provide the music unless Hansy owns his own music.

If Carrie was so popular then I would imagine some label would have jumped on it before Kritzerland.

It could be partly Zimmer's fault, but when asked on Facebook about it by my brother, he said he knew nothing of the project. This was of course before the release and when news first leaked on FSM. Hell, maybe we caused the release to suck ass! Either way, if MV can release a complete Broken Arrow, I have no doubt he would have done a better job with Rain Man.

IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD:

LIMITED EDITION (2CD-SET)

LLLCD 1167

Music by Ernest Gold

Limited Edition of 2000 Units

STARTS SHIPPING MARCH 18th

SPECIAL SALE PRICE $19.98 (Regular price $24.98)

ORDER "IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD: LIMITED EDITION (2CD-SET)" MARCH 15th at www.lalalandrecords.com and get it at a special sale price of only $19.98 each. For a limited time.

Presenting the world premiere release of the original Film Version of composer Ernest Gold's (ON THE BEACH, EXODUS, CROSS OF IRON) rousing orchestral score to the 1963 United Artists epic comedy classic IT'S A MAD MAD MAD WORLD, directed by Stanley Kramer and starring Spencer Tracy, Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Buddy Hackett, Ethel Merman, Mickey Rooney and just about every other comic legend of the era. For the first time, Gold's original soundtrack cues from the film are presented here on disc one, along with the original soundtrack LP release on disc 2 (with the songs moved to the end to make for a better listening experience). Produced by Ford A. Thaxton and Ray Faiola, and digitally edited and mastered by Ray Faiola at Chelsea Rialto Studios, this special 2-CD Set also features in-depth liner notes by film music writer Jeff Bond. This is a limited edition of 2000 Units. And here's producer Ray Faiola to tell you more… !

Producing the Original Soundtrack

by Ray Faiola, Chelsea Rialto Studios

"As one of those die-hard fans of IAMMMMW (my 16mm IB/Scope print is one of my most prized possessions), it has long been a wish of mine to have a recording of the complete original soundtrack score. For some time it was believed that the dubbing stems survived, but this turned out not to be the case. So, we've taken an extreme step and used the limited range rear recording angles from the original six-track composite soundtrack. This presented us with both positive and negative aspects of the materials. The positive was that, for the most part, the tracks were music-only. Only one cue had a major sound effect that commandeered the tracks, necessitating a portion of re-modulating and replacing those few bars of music. The negative was that while many of the cues were overt and took primary occupation of the track space, many others were dubbed far beneath dialogue sequences. This resulted in several cues having a noise-to-signal ratio of nearly 70 per cent. In bringing the music level to acceptable volume, the radically increased noise had to be suppressed as best as possible. Thus, some cues are of significantly lesser fidelity than others. Also, the entire soundtrack had to be corrected for audio-dipping during dialogue portions that lasted from moments to many seconds. All-in-all, many hundreds of edits, adjustments, transitions, and, yes, even a few artistic choices had to be made. The rear channels were, in fact, a single "split" signal, similar to the early Re-Channeled-for-Stereo LP's had been. Rather than have two channels each with partial information, they have been recombined into two pure mono channels. Since all the "program" music (Overture, entr'acte, exit music) as well as the chorals from the main, intermission and end titles are in full stereo, the mono score channels have been separated by a third of a frame to give expansion and create graceful segues into the stereo chorals and program tracks. It should be noted that the harmonica solo at the beginning of "Exit Smiler Grogan" did not appear on the surround channels and is irrevocably combined with dialogue. Nor did the Shirelles' "31 Flavors" appear on the surrounds. Finally, none of the rear surround music from the so-called "restored" sequences were available and our soundtrack represents the general release print of the film. The resulting disc is certainly not an optimum recording of the soundtrack score. But, given that these are the materials that survived we have made our best effort create a complete symphonic presentation."

TRACK LISTING:

DISC ONE

1. Overture (Stereo) (2:26)

2. Main Title (4:11)

3. Smiler Fades Out /Follow the Leader / Stealthy Pike (5:01)

4. Schwartz Swings #1 / Culpepper Flips His Lid (0:49)

5. Away We Go! / Banjo Eyes / Kareening Kooks (5:17)

6. Pike Pedals / Meyer Approaches / Gullible Meyer / Pike Piqued (2:34)

7. Ill-Fated Dream / Pike Scuffles Along (1:53)

8. Old Fitzgerald / Truck on Down (3:33)

9. Benny / Up-Sa-Daisy / Musical Cars (1:31)

10. Mired Meyer / Meyer Still Mired / Down There? (2:16)

11. Dinkler Dood It / Whole Tone Blues (1:35)

12. Wheeling Along / Mixed Up Melange / The Living End - End of Part 1 (3:57)

13. Intermission / Entr'acte (Stereo) (3:41)

14. Fizzled Fuse / Three Chords (1:12)

15. No More Calls / The Plot Thickens / Good Old X-27 (2:49)

16. Instant Chase(2:21)

17. A Lone Hand / Adios Santa Rosita (1:17)

18. Unhappy Landing(1:05)

19. Cab Ballet / Rots of Ruck (2:20)

20. The Big "W" / Who's He? / The Marcus March / Emmeline Knows (6:06)

21. Eureka / Equal Shares / Culp Plays Hand! (1:24)

22. Turnabout / Get Going / Still Going / Auto Mania (6:03)

23. Loose Loot / Mad Chase Ends / Retribution (6:30)

24. Pratfall & End Title (Stereo) (0:52)

25. Exit Music (Stereo) (2:17)

Total Time - Disc One: 73:00

DISC TWO (LP Reissue)

Performed by the Hollywood Studio Orchestra

1. Overture (2:20)

2. Main Title (3:16)

3. Follow the Leader( 3:35)

4. Away We Go (3:33)

5. Gullible Otto Meyer (2:06)

6. The Living End (Act 1) (3:05)

7. Adios Santa Rosita (2:05)

8. Instant Chase (2:05)

9. The Big "W" (4:40)

10. The Great Pursuit (3:12)

11. Retribution (2:41)

12. It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World(2:16)

Music published by Ole Grand Filmsc/o EMI April Music Inc. c/o EMI Music Publishing ASCAP

13. You Satisfy My Soul (2:00) (Ernest Gold, Mack David)

Performed by The Shirelles

Published By EMI U Catalog c/o EMI Music Publishing ASCAP

14. Thirty-One Flavors (2:14) (Ernest Gold, Mack David)

Performed by The Shirelles

Published By EMI U Catalog c/o EMI Music Publishing ASCAP

Total Time - Disc Two: 39:08

Total Time - Both Discs:112:08

LA-LA LAND.COM SPECIALS

IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD SALE!!! We have gone quite MAD in La-La Land and to celebrate the loss of our minds the following titles are on sale for only $2.98 each Sale starts 3/15/11 at 1pm (PST) and runs thru 4/11/11:

CELLULAR, AQUAMARINE, EUREKA, ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS, LIBRARIAN: CURSE OF THE JUDAS CHALICE, HEROES, LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT, ALLAN QUATERMAIN: LOST CITY OF GOLD, ZATOICHI, TAKING WOODSTOCK, BOOK OF BLOOD, LEVERAGE, LEGION, LOVE HAPPENS, TRICK 'R TREAT, ARMORED

Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

GOING OUT OF PRINT – APRIL 30, 2011

SPECIAL www.lalalandrecords.com SALE PRICE: $2.98 EACH

THE TRIANGLE

BASIC INSTINCT 2

ROCK 'N ROLL NIGHTMARE

MY FAVORITE MARTIAN

Thanks to all you MAD people out there. We should have Mad World cds in tomorrow or Thursday the latest. We will be shipping out then.

Just a quick note:

Our next batch of titles will be coming out April 12. I will keep you posted on what they will be in a few weeks time.

Until then. . .

MV

Too bad there are no March 29th releases!

April 12 should bring the Medal Of Honor box and possibly Crysis 2 (on their website, general retail is now April 26)

It doesn't necessarily mean the score is bad, it could be slow moving titles or they are getting to the end of the license and want to clear out instead of destroying unsold copies.

You can't even buy most used CDs for $2.98 in a store, so this is a steal. I've already lined up Aquamarine and Taking Woodstock, and am working my way through the other samples.

Back on January 3rd, MV posted this list of composers that LLL would be releasing CDs for this year:

Barry

Debney

Elfman

Goldsmith

Horner

Howard

Kamen

Mancina

Newman

Morris

Poledouris

Portman

Snow

Tiomkin

Williams

So far, we know what the following are:

Debney - The Young Riders

Mancina - Money Train

Morris - Clue

Portman - Jim Henson's The Storyteller / Greek Myths

Snow -The X-Files (May 10th)

Here's my speculation on the others

Barry -

Elfman - Planet of the Apes

Goldsmith - First Knight

Horner - Wolfen

Howard - Water World

Kamen - Die Hard 1

Newman

Poledouris - The Hunt For Red October

Tiomkin -The High and the Mighty

Williams - HOOK

JNH - I'd rather see something like Wyatt Earp or Falling Down. But I hope that they have chosen one of his major scores, and not one of the smaller early 90s comedies he did.

Newman - A basic guess might be David's Ice Age or Brokedown Palace, given that they're both Fox. I'd also like Flintstones, from Universal.

Goldsmith - The River Wild, The Mummy? I've been listening to the footwarmer of the latter recently and it's brilliant stuff.

Well, we know their next batch is April 12th, and that the Medal Of Honor boxset is in that batch, and possibly Crysis 2, though I don't think this avatar has anything to do with either of those.

I'm an idiot, its just the cover art to It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World

lalalandrecords21504565.jpg

Trent, I quoted MV's entire post on this page of the thread, we don't know any more than that

The relative silence in the world of the specialty labels is making me uneasy...I feel like there's a great slew of releases that have been building up and are about to burst. But in the meantime, it's nice having a fatter wallet than I did at this time last year.

The relative silence in the world of the specialty labels is making me uneasy...I feel like there's a great slew of releases that have been building up and are about to burst. But in the meantime, it's nice having a fatter wallet than I did at this time last year.

Agreed. I think from probably June to the end of the year we're gonna be getting slammed with good releases from LLL, Intrada and FSM.

I don't think 'relative silence' is the best way to describe it. While it's true that we haven't yet had a mega-popular 10,000 unit release, doesn't mean to say people haven't been receiving their grails. If you look over at FSM, amongst the usual 'ordered' posts, there's usually at least one grovelling 'thank you' post from someone who's received their grail.

If I consider my current realistic (i.e. not held down by legal issues that we know about) wanted titles, I can easily see them appearing with not much fanfare at all. Just a matter of how lucky everyone gets with the labels' priorities.

Talking of which, where's your next batch Townson? :P

Yeah, there's still been quite a few nice releases this year and Doug from Intrada mentioned he was mixing stuff from Universal and Disney in a recent post over at his site.

Yeah, there's still been quite a few nice releases this year and Doug from Intrada mentioned he was mixing stuff from Universal and Disney in a recent post over at his site.

'The Black Hole' (Disney) and 'Howard the Duck' (Universal) would be an astounding Barry two-fer. Although TBH is '79, so nevermind.

No we're talking about future releases.

I'm pretty sure tonight's will be Delerue and Mancini.

Oh, ok.

I'm happy with the "silence" as I don't really have the money at the moment to go all out, so I've reallly had to pick my battles sometimes.

Here's one of the April 12th titles:

Yes, its the DC Showcase soundtrack featuring the scores to the animated shorts:

Superman/Shazam! The Return of Black Adam

Jonah Hex

Green Arrow

The Spectre

The composers will be part of that massive signing event at Dark Delicacies April 16. smile.gif

The 1000 unit Limited CD streets April 12 at 1pm PST. More details to follow.

M

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=77469&forumID=1&archive=0

Here's one of the April 12th titles:

Yes, its the DC Showcase soundtrack featuring the scores to the animated shorts:

Superman/Shazam! The Return of Black Adam

Jonah Hex

Green Arrow

The Spectre

The composers will be part of that massive signing event at Dark Delicacies April 16. smile.gif

The 1000 unit Limited CD streets April 12 at 1pm PST. More details to follow.

M

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=77469&forumID=1&archive=0

Fine then, so these are coming out. What about MOH?

Karol

Noticing the praise for It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World...

Not familiar with the film or score. Is it a must-see film? Must-own score? Would you recommend a blind buy, or is it an acquired taste, or something that relies heavily on childhood nostalgia to be appreciated?

The Black Hole, Henry Mancini's Condorman or Maurice Jarre's Island At The Top Of The World would be welcome.

Amen.

I would say it's a typical comedy score, although it's a good one. Quite a bit of Mickey Mousing, but done with style and one particular un-PC musical moment. But I'll save that for those who haven't seen the film. ;)

There's some exciting chase music and the main theme is wonderful and gets plenty of play throughout the score.

The film is a mixed bag, it's long and has quite a few funny moments. Perhaps too much going on, like 1941. But some funny performances, Jonathan Winter and Spencer Tracy are the best in the film, especially Tracy playing it straight amongst all the comedy. Jim Backus is hilarious in his limited time on screen. Mickey Rooney and Buddy Hackett are great together. So many big names in this film all do what they do best, but a bit too much at times.

I'd say it's worth watching at least once.

If anyone here falls for MV's comments over at FSM today, I would suggest they first look at the calender for next week and look at the dates......

If anyone here falls for MV's comments over at FSM today, I would suggest they first look at the calender for next week and look at the dates......

Can you repost those quotes? Not sure what you're talking about.