Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

Picked up House of Cards and The Greatest Miracle at the Fans of Film Music 4 event so I could get them signed by John Beal and Mark McKenzie respectively

I haven't heard any of his other scores, but The Greatest Miracle is fantastic, and was one of my favorite scores of 2011.

My recent discolicious ordering binge:

8763865.jpg

Some Horner for a change, at least from what I recognize it's comparatively light on direct rips, and the theme is enjoyable and catchy.

cover-med.jpg

After Karol mentioned in Vienna how Davis was actively urging people to buy it and stuff, how could I resist any longer? ;) I had this on my Amazon watch list for quite some time, but now took the plunge and bought it. I can't really say I have done more than scratched the surface a bit in listening on the side (have to put in a concentrated session with libretto sometime), but between occasional stretches of not very ear-catching lengthy monologues of the singers with minimalistic accompaniment, there are frequent passages where Davis's Adams (and Kernis, I guess) -inspired really comes out and lets the orchestra shine with layered frenzy, or even occasional haunting solo passages. The really contrasting thing here are of course the short bursts of salsa music, which don't really connect much with the rest of the music but are very fun on their own, until they abruptly segue into the next orchestral passage without much of a transition. I would definitely recommend this to fans of Davis's, but prepare to put in some effort digging into the core of this music.

One remark on the audio quality: Overall the recording sounds quite good, but I found the voices of the singers often lacking in a clear intonation, too much of a wide open-ended vibrato for my tastes that left me guessing which note was meant. And the choir sounds really dense (in part due to Davis's style of writing, as known from "Neodämmerung"), which sometimes results in a massive wall of sound that makes it hard to really hear the harmony there.

black-beauty-2.gif

Only knew the Main Title before, which I found really charming. Listening to the CD at this moment for the first time, very solid, classic Elfman. Quite a range from the sweet and playful to really dark and tense.

14411-1.jpg

I wanted to get this for some time, and now with the reduced Halloween special at LLL this was the moment to get it.

Still awaiting:

518hu5zPHSL._SY300_.jpg

As an avid fan of Corigliano's work, I absolutely had to get this, as shady as the publisher seems to be. From what I could gather this release is legitimate, after all it's also listed on the composer's home page.

41ISacelDbL.jpg

Ahem...closing some gaps in my collection of classic scores

Thanks for your comments Christian. I haven't actually bought this opera yet. In the midst of all the spendings, this album got lost. I will do it shortly, however. It sounds quite decent to my ears:

And Corigliano's album is an excellent choice. Some of the best film music written in the past few years, certainly.

I myself picked up this in my local HMV:

dw0u.jpg

(although, the Sony Classical CD has a slightly different cover art, with the "original motion picture soundtrack" tag being a bit smaller and also has white-lettered "music by Abel Korzeniowski" underneath).

EDIT: It has this cover:

8utn.jpg

Karol

Good choices Karol. The labels are spoiling us rotten and robbing our money. Ah the sweet agony.

Star+Wars+-+Duel+Of+The+Fates+-+5%22+CD+

I got given this on Friday. Nice little item to add to the Star Wars collection. I have the Battle of the Heroes single already. Was Across the Stars given a similar release?

Yes, it was, and contains 5 seconds from the original unused Finale bit (that was replaced by The Imperial March in the film and album) in one of the bonus tracks

Made an emergency order at Amazon last night, since I have to start paying Sales Tax, being a MA resident, as of today

81u-S2hlLnL._SL1500_.jpg

51k3U1W3KIL.jpg

816xnwIpwZL._SL1500_.jpg

71XPYh3qx4L._SL1195_.jpg

Just ordered on amazon, because I'm a very bad pirate...I NEED TO OWN ;)

John Williams & Boston Pops: Pops Britannia

John Williams & Boston Pops: Joy To The World

John Williams: Harry Potter Azkaban

John Williams: Superman (Rhino)

Well inspired (or rather reminded) by you I also decided to get:

John Williams & Boston Pops: We Wish You A Merry Christmas

John Williams Trumpet Concerto

What is sales tax?

Is it similar as VAT (value added tax) which is used around here?

Have you not heard Notes on a Scandal yet? I thought I saw you commenting on it somewhere.

Or I'm just losing it.

Well inspired (or rather reminded) by you I also decided to get:

John Williams & Boston Pops: We Wish You A Merry Christmas

John Williams Trumpet Concerto

Oh Trumpet Concerto by Ronald Feldman & The LSO... well next time!

Made an emergency order at Amazon last night, since I have to start paying Sales Tax, being a MA resident, as of today

71XPYh3qx4L._SL1195_.jpg

What do you make of Game of Thrones Season 3? I thought there was some nice developments of themes compared to the previous themes (the Iron Island's stuff seems to be the most developed) and Dany's themes have gotten some nice development as well but we got very little on this release. I think it was just over 50 minutes or something. The final track didn't even appear in the show!

To be honest with you I hated the music in the show as I watched the first two seasons and had absolutely zero interest in hearing a note of it outside the show (apart from the opening titles music, which is brilliant).

However during season 3 I heard a few things in the show that were actually interesting, and on a whim I checked out the season 3 OST on Spotify (mostly because I had been enjoying Djawadi's Pacific Rim score so much), and much to my surprise found several tracks on the OST I enjoyed very much.

My favorite tracks are Dark Wings Dark Words, White Walkers, Mhysa, and For The Realm.

In Massachusetts, all items that aren't groceries or clothing have an added 6.25% sales tax on top. So for example if you were to buy a coffee for $1, it is actually $1.06. A $1,000 flat panel TV is actually $1,062.50, etc.