Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

The Core. I re-listened the score recently and somehow it... opened up. Couldn't get to it before. So bought myself a used copy.

Karol

It's baffling to me that a musician as talented as Young never quite entered the mainstream, with the exception of Hellraiser (to some extent). Instead, he's stuck in horror genre (which he's great at, obviously) and Priests and Ghost Riders. A pity.

The reason I couln't initially get into The Core is, I think, because of its density. This thing is relentless and thickly orchestrated.

Karol

The Core. I re-listened the score recently and somehow it... opened up. Couldn't get to it before. So bought myself a used copy.

There's some really good stuff in the score, but it's not really easily accessible I think. Part of the problem is that there's so much of it.

Maybe it's just me, but I always found the score very accessible, but I then I tend to prefer thicker, denser orchestration. I find scores like HELLRAISER (which is hurt by a lot of weedy digital synths that that were popular in the late 80s) and CREATION much harder to listen to.

I suppose for someone studying music it must quite an interesting score. Shall explore it further when I get the CD's (as far as my limited musical knowledge will allow, anyway).

Karol

Maybe it's just me, but I always found the score very accessible, but I then I tend to prefer thicker, denser orchestration.

With accessible, I mostly meant that not too much stands out at first. Young is primarily a texture composer for me - he does write good themes, but the way he uses them is mostly focused on mood and atmosphere, with a couple of standout moments. With The Core, there's so much score (and rather long tracks as far as I recall) that those standouts also don't stand out so much at first.

Got the following from a music exchange in London. I usually take a blind buy on things that look interesting and are only a few £s.

Flood - has a great main theme, but the rest of it is a bit... unremarkable? 90% of it also has a rather annoying, and somewhat cheesy, synth beat all over it.

The Missing - the most promise out of them all as I already have two tracks. Never really listened to the rest until now.

The Fifth Element - ummm. Yeah. Weird. Found ~20 minutes of reasonable melodic material, with the rest of it utter junk. Serra's forte is not film.

Grizzly Man - too acoustic for my tastes. A few tracks of nice guitar work. Nothing even remotely special.

Not one of the better batches I've got, but if can find a few solid tracks from each to keep, it's worth it. (got far too much music already just to keep entire CDs)

A friend of mine just gave me as a gift the 40th anniversary release of In the Court of the Crimson King. Sounds incredible!

large1379.jpg

Top man! Is this the new mix by Steven Wilson, or the original, remastered '69 mix, or the 5.1 mix? Dou you have the box-set?

Got a copy of Gerhardt's Empire Strikes Back the other day and hope to receive this week the original version of Star Wars. Looking to broaden the Williams collection further this month by the looks of it.

Creation by Christopher Young

51RTQq78WyL.jpg

How to Train Your Dragon by John Powell

51RcurEmHKL.jpg

John T. Williams Jazz Beginnings

51Lf1xAsKQL.jpg

Night Crossing (Intrada) by Jerry Goldsmith

night-crossing.gif

Soul of the Ultimate Nation (SUN) by Howard Shore

SUN_detail.jpg

Eastern Promises by Howard Shore

easternpromises.jpg

Ordered Monuments Men, Maleficent, and A Million Ways To Die In The West from Amazon for $11.88, $11.88, and $12.99 respectively

51806g1hvHL.jpg

418ZNUy1-lL.jpg

514TqS%2BgESL.jpg

I also threw into the order three pre-orders - How To Train Your Dragon 2, Game of Thrones Season 4, and Dawn of the Planet Of The Apes. Those will be whatever the lowest price is between now and release day, but are currently $10, $11.99, and $11.99

tumblr_n62mpsG1BE1s0ve30o1_1400922787_co

61y8yRvrLgL.jpg

Hot damn is 2014 a great year for film music! I already own Godzilla too, and would get the four Cosmos volumes if they were available on physical disc.

Good stuff there Karol! I have yet to purchase Hoosiers. I'll add that to the long list of Goldsmith.

• 2 weeks later...

This all arrived a few days ago. I am now starting to delve into them:

lair-cd.jpg

soul-of-the-ultimate-nation-cd.jpg

PEACEMAKERLIMITED.jpg

FleshBlood_cover_zps00ced402.jpg

matrixreloaded-cover_zps27430687.jpg

$_57.jpg

Got that last one for just a buck! Not sure if its any good, but I've read some praise for it here.

Good choices KK! My Night Crossing arrived today with Eastern Promises and Soul of the Ultimate Nation. :)

Did you just say it's good KK bought some Zimmer, Mikko? Am I dreaming? ;)

Seriously, though. Solid choices. But where is Revolutions (and Corigliano's Revolution, for that matter)?

Karol

Hey at least it is the vintage 1990's Zimmer! The days before the perpetual horn of Doom. ;)

And yes I should also add Corigliano's Altered States and Revolution to my shopping list!

And yes I should also add Corigliano's Altered States and Revolution to my shopping list!

Me too. I'm going to probably get them when I order the EotS release.

I've always held a special place for The Peacemaker. Possibly my favourite vintage Zimmer action score, good ol' 90s style. Hoping this La La Land release is good!

Good choices KK! My Night Crossing arrived today with Eastern Promises and Soul of the Ultimate Nation. :)

Ooh, I forgot! My S.U.N. CD arrived in that shipment too!

You, dear Mithrandirs, are 9 years late with this one! ;)

Karol

A wizard is never late Karol! He acquires his scores precisely when he means to!

At least you're up-to-Shore right now!

I've always held a special place for The Peacemaker. Possibly my favourite vintage Zimmer action score, good ol' 90s style. Hoping this La La Land release is good!

Me too. Never heard the complete score outside of film before. I'd say the album presentation was always a strong one, but the new release reveals that Zimmer once employed a more "leitmotivic" sensibilities. It flows quite nicely. The only detriment might be that at some points the synth parts make it sound like a mockup, a side effect of Hans' philosphy, I'm afraid. Not a gripe, really. But could put off some people.

Karol

Hey at least it is the vintage 1990's Zimmer! The days before the perpetual horn of Doom. ;)

"Altered States". You will not be dissapointed!

"Altered States". You will not be dissapointed!

Terrific Goldsmith score, from my favourite Goldsmith era and with my favourite Goldsmith type of scoring, blending local instruments with traditional orchestra.

(With thanks to Karol!)

CHALLENGE_Web.jpg

I play both sides of the MB. On JW subforum I am a hell bent Williams fan and in GD I am a happy go lucky Williams fan!

It would be interesting to know how many here actually ordered the new EotS set.