Standout main themes in otherwise uninteresting scores

Quintus

Suggestions?

I hear the new Twilight movie has quite a stunning main theme, for example.

I happen to really like Carter Burwell's whimsical theme to Being John Malkovich. I'm always on the lookout for quirky themes like that.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Charlie

Well yes it does count, of course. But not all movies are afforded the pleasure of having the Lord of Themes himself, do their music. Most movies are lucky to have even one good theme, let alone two or three, as JW has been known to provide.

Now for those who will start complaining, this in no way means the following scores suck.

The Last Starfighter

The Terminal

Ice Station Zebra

Spacecamp

Star Trek Insurrection (Ba'ku theme)

Signs

Great example. I'd possibly even go so far as to mention the First Contact theme, since I don't think that's a particularly great score either (but a lovely, lovely theme).

Does 'Across the Stars' count? It's not necessarily a main theme, but it's the major theme of the film, and a lovely piece in an otherwise okay but not fantastic score.

I would go with this. There are a few other highlights though, like "Love Pledge/The Arena".

Musically, AotC is a superior piece of work, but as a film score it is predictable and in places - really dull.

Forget average-ness - AotC is a lacklustre JW score. But I still don't blame him for it.

Lee - realising that KM is truly JWFAN's biggest fanboy and NOT Luke Skywalker.

Oh I enjoy it, but it´s not a great score.

As a whole, probably not. It doesn't have that indisputable quality of world-class-ness the way some scores do. But it's got a lot of moments I consider great, both on the album and otherwise.

^Perfect example.

Speaking of Kamen, The Iron Giant is another score which has a good, solid theme, but unfortunately there does not a exist a decent presentation of it, outside of the movie - often the case, with lesser known soundtracks. 'Tis a shame.

The Last Starfighter

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

Great examples, especially The Last Starfighter. Would Robin Hood be a great theme or just a great main title piece?

First Contact is a great score throughout, I wouldn't put it in this category.

What about Indy 4? Call of the Crystal and the Russian theme are both damn fine themes in a meh score.

Would Robin Hood be a great theme or just a great main title piece?

I'd say that "Prince of Thieves" has actually two very nice themes... the main theme and Marian's theme (which was basically "Everything I Do", which Kamen composed with Bryan Adams).

Yes, the love theme is very nice as well and the rest of the score is quite alright too.

It's just that the Main Titles tower over everything else, they're just insanely good.

Star Trek IV. I like the main title a lot, but don't find the rest of the score to be that great.

:lol:

Hmmm, standout main themes in otherwise average scores... Pirates? National Treasure?

*backs away slowly*

How 'bout these:

Ice Age (Catchy main title. Don't remember much else.)

The Princess Bride (Gorgeous love theme. Rest of the score is awful synth.)

Flight of the Navigator (Lovely little main theme. Rest of the score is very 80s.)

I like the main theme to 24, but the rest of the show's scoring tends to be merely functional to my ear.

Well, and altogether it sounds like rather cheap synths. Nevertheless I love the show, and the score does a good enough job.

Lee - realising that KM is truly JWFAN's biggest fanboy and NOT Luke Skywalker.

Well, I like a lot of composers but JW is the only one I do stuff like trying to get unreleased music and editing complete score projects

The Prince of Tides, fits the bill I think quite nicely.

And as KM mentioned, most Morricone scores.

I like the main theme to 24, but the rest of the show's scoring tends to be merely functional to my ear.

Well, and altogether it sounds like rather cheap synths. Nevertheless I love the show, and the score does a good enough job.

That too, yes, and yes, respectively. :)

Gutted I'd never heard this before, but all together not surprised, considering my indifference to much of Star Trek. As usual, Goldsmith provided a gorgeous melody - I just love his high pitched strings, something of a Jerry trademark. But please tell me if there is a better, more complete version of 'Ba'ku theme' other than that heard in Ba'ku Village, 'coz I want it if it exists.

The Baku theme is reprised in the end credits suite, which is wonderful, but I don't think there's much more than what's heard at the film's opening.

I agree with Back to the Future.

I hear the new Twilight movie has quite a stunning main theme, for example.

The entire score by Alexander Desplat is stunning. It is the only redeeming aspect of a great comedy movie.