Raise your hand if you own every released piece of Giacchino music!

BLUMENKOHL

"Parting Words" is a major factor in what is probably the single greatest score-based scene in television history.

no it's not.And don't state things like that as a fact.

To me it's the crash landing sequence from Island in the Sky from Lost in Space. It's when Johnny Williams became John Williams .There you have the music that will progress into Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

Obviously you weren't around when there were great scores on TV ,in the 60's and 70's

Well I know I certainly haven't seen/heard those examples, but until I do (and make my own decision), I'll agree that "Parting Words" is the most incredible musical moment of any television series I've ever seen.

Incidentally, I would've thought by now that everyone assumes that whatever opinions are expressed on this board are just that; opinions. We're not 12-year-olds, we don't need to clarify "in my opinion" with every post, do we?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Parting Words" is a major factor in what is probably the single greatest score-based scene in television history.

no it's not.And don't state things like that as a fact.

Wait, so, let me just make sure I'm understanding those two sentences correctly: first you're expressing your opinion as if it's a fact, and then you're telling me not to do that?

Also, I used the word "probably" in my post.

No, you're all wrong. The single greatest score-based scene in television history is clearly defined by the final two minutes or so of "Best of Both Worlds, Part One."

And it's Ron Jones, who's tied to Williams through Superman, so it's close enough for gov't work.

Somebody get the old Texan a Dos and a blanket.

I don't have many Giacchino scores:

Up

The Incredibles

M:i:III

Ratatouille

Star Trek

I also have "Roar!" and his music from the Space Mountain Ride at Disneyland (annoyingly missing the best part). I wouldn't say he's the best current composer. I prefer James Newton Howard, Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer, and John Williams. But I think he probably has the highest potential for success. He's won several awards, he'll probably win the Oscar (and he's only been nominated once before!), and he's got several nice connections with high profile directors that'll continue to give him popular, mainstream jobs for a while. But I don't think he's the best, though he's very good.

Oh, thanks for the heads up! That's tempting...but it wasn't really good enough for me to justify spending that much money for 20 seconds of music.

he'll probably win the Oscar (and he's only been nominated once before!)

In recent years, most of the Oscar winners have won in their first nomination. I couldnt believe they gave the prices to one-hit wonders newcomers.

I don't think they should reject a person just because they're a newcomer. It just so happens that some of these one-hit wonders have written undeserving scores (ie Santalolla).

But I stand corrected. Still, I'd say that winning an Oscar at this point in his career is pretty promising.

Luckily, I haven't heard that silly line in a while. Some people seemed to hear the superficial similarities in Medal of Honor and jumped to conclusions, but I've never thought of Giacchino as the next John Williams. He's simply the first Giacchino, and that's all he needs to be.

Luckily, I haven't heard that silly line in a while. Some people seemed to hear the superficial similarities in Medal of Honor and jumped to conclusions, but I've never thought of Giacchino as the next John Williams. He's simply the first Giacchino, and that's all he needs to be.

Didn't Spielberg actually call him that, after his score for the Lost World video game?

Didn't Spielberg actually call him that, after his score for the Lost World video game?

Actually, it was the moment Giacchino was offered the job for The Lost World. Spielberg had just heard his demos and put his arm around Michael and said, "This is the next Johnny Williams."

-Erik-

Perhaps, but I don't think he has Maui Mallard In Cold Shadow :blink:

No, I don't. I have pretty much EVERYTHING except three of his really early scores; Gargoyles, Legal Deceit, and Maui Mallard. And I don't have ANY of his Pixar shorts.

-Erik-