Interstellar (2014 film directed by Christopher Nolan)

JoeinAR

When you preorder tickets for IMAX or UltraAVX, you get reserved seats under your name.

The name on the ticket is my dad's, because I ordered the tickets on his card.

Both are very different films. Interstellar is the bigger picture in scale and ambition, but that makes it open to more flaws.

Gravity is a smaller film, but more finely crafted.

Can't really compare the two.

Has this been declared the greatest movie of all time yet? Or will that still be Inception, or The Dark Knight (Rises)?

Everyone knows his greatest film is The Prestige. :P

The Prestige ... for its 'Duellists' themes and the beautiful direction of the stage tricks of both magicians. There's almost something horrific about the illusions. There's also the funeral scene and enigmatic role of David Bowie personifying the equally enigmatic Nikola Tesla.

Alex

Nolan's best film is INSOMNIA

This.

The Prestige was one of those films that I liked a lot more when I first saw it. After I sat on it for a bit my opinion changed. The third act just didn't work for me.

My favorite review so far is Interstellar is twice as long as Gravity and half as good.

I'll find out Friday.

If that's your favorite review, then you won't find anything out. You already know.

Seriously, anyone who prefers Gravity to this film is hopeless. And their protests to the contrary only make them more hopeless.

I don't really get why anyone would even compare Interstellar to Gravity in the first place. Because they both have something to do with space?

Like I keep saying, both a very different movies, and both work very well for the genres the represent.

I understand why people 'compare' it with Gravity. Even if I hadn't seen both movies, I would understand. The fans keep referring to these two movies as the next 2001: ASO or the sci-fi event of the decade.

Alex

Just read a Greek review:

"A quality, blockbuster-izing little gem that would like to be more intellectual."

i will go to watch the film on Saturday, though I'm going more for the company. This is the first time I'll go to the cinema after Prometheus.

I don't even watch universally praised modern movies. The collective gushing makes me sick. I'd rather watch a line up of shitty shark movies from Asylum!

I know. Sometimes, things like that put you in a defensive mode. It's more about "what do you think about this highly regarded film", rather than "what do you think about this film". Some of the best cinema of past 15 years got mixed reviews. Eyes Wide Shut, Titus. In the case of Christopher Nolan - The Prestige.

Karol

I think my disappointment with Gravity originates from the fact it's a great movie but not so good film.

Karol

That's a way of putting it.

The first scripts were for a longer, more complex film, adressing the idea of the different spacecraft being in different orbits, and so on. Then they stripped it down quite a bit. It would be interesting if they had managed to keep this sort of enthralling non stop visual narration of the finished film within the original framework.